PDA

View Full Version : End of the road for the English Galacticos?

Gary
09/01/2005, 11:34 AM
David Beckham, Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate could be on the way out at Real Madrid.

According to The Sunday People the English trio will be ditched by the Spanish giants this summer.

The tabloid claims the new coach at the Bernabeu - Brazilian Wanderley Luxemburgo - will look to South America for a new generation of galacticos.

more (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/01/09/manual_095518.html)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not really surprised about Woodgate, as he has yet to kick a competitive ball for Real due to injury.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Becks with Arsenal next season.

I would be very surprised if Owen was ditched. So far he has done fairly well, scored a few goals, and endeared himself to the fans. Considering he has yet to play a full 90 mins, thats good going.

eirebhoy
09/01/2005, 1:13 PM
Beckham is the only English Galactico at the club, not that he deserves to be. I posted about Woodgate's injury problems before he was even linked to Madrid. He was expected back a few weeks from the end of July but I heard on Newstalk that his career was at stake. Then a few days later he gets sold to Madrid within a few hours. Owen deserves a chance, he has been doing well but he looks fourth choice now.

Ruairi
09/01/2005, 1:36 PM
Not really surprised about Woodgate, as he has yet to kick a competitive ball for Real due to injury.

How bad, the liong streak of p!iss is getting paid a fortune for an extended holiday in madrid. i'd say the young fella's lovingit.

as for becks, his missus will probably make him retire and become an actor or a pop star or somethin. or a corner flag, cause at least then he'd have some purpose on the pitch...

CollegeTillIDie
09/01/2005, 2:32 PM
How bad, the liong streak of p!iss is getting paid a fortune for an extended holiday in madrid. i'd say the young fella's lovingit....

Well Madrid is preferable to one of Her Majesty's Prisons :D

as for becks, his missus will probably make him retire and become an actor or a pop star or somethin. or a corner flag, cause at least then he'd have some purpose on the pitch...

Well some smart money reckons he will go to Chelsea, but I am not sure he wants to play in the Football Combination :D

M@ttitude
09/01/2005, 3:51 PM
Doubt Mourinho or Wenger would want him, Well I suppose he could replace Duff & Robben or Pires.. Dont think so!!! and he wouldn't be a happy little boy on the bench either, I reckon he'll finish his carreer in Madrid because they'll never get the money they paid for him back and they're raking it in with the Beckham dolls which were the #1 christmas pressie in Japan this year.. As for Michael Owen, he hasn't done anything wrong and would be a great buy for any team, J Woodgate hasn't had a chance to prove himself and if fit he would be a success, big tough defenders do well over there, even Ian Harte is feared throughout Spain..

Éanna
09/01/2005, 4:00 PM
Owen has done ok, but if keeping him means losing Morientes, I'd help him out the door. Woodgate is an excellent player if/when he's fit, but he's no use to anyone right now- even if he does recover, it'll be too late because they need a replacement now, not whenever he gets fit . Beckham- out asap. please

Kingdom
10/01/2005, 3:49 AM
As far as Woodgate goes ( and I don't like to say this cause I think he is a massive talent) but there was a vicious rumour doing the rounds during last season that an England centre half was to be charged with testing positive for cocaine and the player was reputed to be Jonny woodgate which made the strange transfer sensible for the Toon ( not too mention the transfer fee) :D

tetsujin1979
10/01/2005, 10:05 AM
I can't see Beckham getting sold, if only for the loss Madrid would take on the on the sale of jerseys! In england, only Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea could probably afford to take on his wages (maybe Newcastle after Shearer retries, or Liverpool) and none of those 3 are likely to touch him. No club in their right mind would take on Woodgate with his history of injuries and the fact that he's not kicked a ball for Real yet. Owen is probably the most likely to go, ironically enough he's had arguably the best season of the three, forced his way into the side, scored in 5 or 6 games in a row as a sub, and now looks to be relegated to the bench under the new coach.

jockser
10/01/2005, 12:59 PM
I can't see Beckham getting sold, if only for the loss Madrid would take on the on the sale of jerseys! In england, only Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea could probably afford to take on his wages (maybe Newcastle after Shearer retries, or Liverpool) and none of those 3 are likely to touch him. No club in their right mind would take on Woodgate with his history of injuries and the fact that he's not kicked a ball for Real yet. Owen is probably the most likely to go, ironically enough he's had arguably the best season of the three, forced his way into the side, scored in 5 or 6 games in a row as a sub, and now looks to be relegated to the bench under the new coach.

even though owen has the highest goals to minutes played ratio in spain he still looks to be 3rd or 4th choice striker......have to sympathise with him

Closed Account 2
10/01/2005, 4:01 PM
Any world class striker needs to think long and hard about signing for Real Madrid... they'll be unlikely to shift Ronaldo from the team, and they've zero chance of getting picked instead of Raul even if he is playing poorly. (Just take last season he was woeful from the turn of the year right through to the Euros in June). IMO Owen (probably) and Morientes (certainly) are better than Raul, yet neither of them are favourites so dont/wont get a chance. Morientes practically got Monaco to the CL final on his own last season yet is going to be sold, Owen - so far - has looked a very decent player in Spain but looks unlikely to start a game unless a 1st team player is injured.