PDA

View Full Version : Mulconroy

Seanie
21/01/2002, 9:10 AM
Our latest signing made his home debut in unfortunate circumstances yesterday. He showed some promising touches, although he had a tendancy to overrun the ball - although this was probably down to nobody giving him an alternative option. But what I don't understand is why Murphy brought on a winger for his home debut when Kevin Hunt was running the midfield show - oh hang on he's sold any other midfield options he have!

Ali-G
21/01/2002, 10:21 AM
was he signed by city, or a product of the youth team? Where did he come from? I thought he looked a bit old to be a youth team player. I agree though, City were useless in the middle yesterday, so I reserve my judgement on Mulconroy until he plays a match where there are other City players actually playing.

It seemed the only thing Greg was interested in when he came on was trying to get himself booked, which I think he managed.

pete
21/01/2002, 10:52 AM
I believe city signed him from UCC.

He came on for the last 20mins in Longford & didn't do too bad & can't say he was bad yesterday either. remember hes coming into a city team in a bad run of form so is always going to be hard for him.

I thought he tended to pass the ball too soon & not try to pass his man on the outside but most of his passing was handy enough.

Éanna
21/01/2002, 1:18 PM
i don't think it was the right time to give the guy his home debut. greg would have been the best replacement for bennett- anyone know why he was taken off?

Peadar
21/01/2002, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
greg would have been the best replacement for bennett- anyone know why he was taken off?

Anyone watching the game could see why Bennett was taken off. Morrison gave him a roasting for most of the first half.
Would you like a nice easy game between City and the ICA to introduce new players for their home debut?
Throwing him in at the deep end is the way to do it.

Troy.McClure
21/01/2002, 2:05 PM
I think that he will be our new right winger form now on, he looks good with an eye for goal aswell ( :eek: ) That will leave either bennett or Bucks on the bench with Greg prob as the sub right back/winger. That will help (not solve) the lack of cover in midfield.

Did Bennett play as the right winger with Bucks in the center? I didnt take too much notice, but Id hope that it would be the other way around. Lets get that Finnish texting going! ;)

Peadar
21/01/2002, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
I think that he will be our new right winger form now on, he looks good with an eye for goal aswell

He had two of our best chances in front of goal yesterday and failed to pull the trigger. The most obvious one was when he passed inside to Bucks who fluffed it and the attack broke down. We should really be testing the keeper from that range. Why is everyone afraid to have a shot?

Mucky played better than Cahill did on the other wing that's for sure.

Neil
21/01/2002, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Did Bennett play as the right winger with Bucks in the center? I didnt take too much notice, but Id hope that it would be the other way around. Lets get that Finnish texting going! ;)
Yeah, Bennett was on the right.

I agree, I'd prefer to see Bennett in the middle with O'Grady and either Buckley, Greg or Mulconroy on the right.

SMS the Gaffer!

Éanna
21/01/2002, 8:26 PM
Colin O'Brien would be grand on the right if murphy would bring him back. Failing that, Greg would be my pick.

derm
22/01/2002, 8:38 AM
[quote]He had two of our best chances in front of goal yesterday and failed to pull the trigger. The most obvious one was when he passed inside to Bucks who fluffed it and the attack broke down.[/unquote]

Bucks was in a better position & if he hit it 1st time we would have scored.

All-in-all I was impressed by Mulconroy's vision & passing. Bohs did well to close our wingers down fast; Ollie in particular never had less than 2 players around him when he was going forward. When Mulconroy was troubled however he always either sent the ball to a City player or into space that a city player was running onto. I only counted 1 ball that he sent directly to a Bohs player - something de whole team could learn from. With a bit of confidence and experience in de team I think he could develop into a fine player.

Gunther picked out CP for praise but I thought he showed his inexperience a bit. He always seemed to try de difficult over de simple and was caught out for it. Bohs are not de team to try de spectacular against and were not too troubled really.

Stangely, Hartigan was winning more headers - and laying them on to City players - than he has all season so I thought his replacement was a bit odd. It left us with 2 strikers that prefer to peel off defenders - neither is a great provider. :confused:

Mutteo
22/01/2002, 9:56 AM
True enough, Hartigan won more headers in the first 30 minutes than I've ever seen him win. Some did actually go to City players also. But why they kept thumping the ball high at Colin O Brien is beyond me. Hawkins had a field day at the back. The inability to change tactics on the field when things aren't working is worrying.
Very impressed with Mulconroy. Seemed to be the only city player who wanted to give it his all out there - showed some good vision too with some of his passes. Whatever else people say about Gunther he has brought in some great prospects. The jury is out on whether or not he's the man to develop them.

Neil
22/01/2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Mutteo
Whatever else people say about Gunther he has brought in some great prospects.
I can't accept this as an arguement in favour of Murphy. We have some talented young players. Any manager would bring them in.

Originally posted by Mutteo
The jury is out on whether or not he's the man to develop them.
The worry is, if Murphy stays, the young talent WILL leave. And you couldn't argue with them for leaving.

Sunday was an embarrassment. Mountfield was sacked in similar circumstances. Please go now Murphy before you ruin OUR club.

Troy.McClure
22/01/2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Neil

Mountfield was sacked in similar circumstances.

No way! When Murphy was put in, his brief was to keep us in the priemier division. We were a team that looked like it might be religated. Now it looks that we might not make it into Europe. Theres more than a slight difference on that one! :eek:

Éanna
22/01/2002, 12:01 PM
thats not true. when mountfield was sacked we were as close to relegation as we were to second place, but the knives were out so peple chose to see the glass as half empty. the performance yesterday was almost exactly like the game DM got sacked, apart from the fact that at least DM didn't play hartigan.

I agree Murphy has brought in a few good players, but he's got rid of more and he's not the one to develop them.

pete
22/01/2002, 12:09 PM
Praise for Murphy for finding the young players & giving them their chance. This is the reason for a local manager as its been a long time since a foreign manager has done anything in the eL cos it takes them too long to access the league.

The question is now has Liam Murphy been successful making the movement to manager? We have IMO been shown to be extermely lacking in anything other than plan A. Maybe the manager has no other ideas or maybe its just cos we lacking a creative leader on the pitch? O'Grady is great (only person to do well on sunday) but he ain't no Dave Barry or Patsy....

shedboy
22/01/2002, 1:20 PM
Fantastic player, will prove it over time. Wouldn't give the ball away, will use it intelligently like all UCC players. Was talking to him last week and he's loving it at the club, enjoying the challenge

Éanna
22/01/2002, 5:35 PM
if he uses the ball intelligently, he won't last very long at city :rolleyes:

Troy.McClure
23/01/2002, 2:55 PM
We need a creative player almost as much as we needed a right winger! But for the life of me I cant think of who we could get. I cant see a player moving from a Dublin team, only Kirby seams to be gaining a profile in this position, and as it seams we had the chance to sign him and didnt take it for whatever reason, it would seem to be unlikely that he would join City. :(

Éanna
23/01/2002, 5:41 PM
we didn't sign kirby because apparently the board wanted him on a free along with mick devine and waterford wanted money. cheapskates.

niamh
24/01/2002, 1:58 PM
Looked promising overall for sure. If only some of the others tried as he did. Agree with Peadar though that he should have taken a shot on two clear cut opportunities...but he will do in the future once he settles in the squad, methinks.

Éanna
24/01/2002, 5:27 PM
definitely, the guy showed a lot of promise.

Troy.McClure
25/01/2002, 8:00 PM
He was right to pass it to Bucks though. I was right behind the goal and if Bucks had putted the trigger first time then : GGGGGGOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLL If Mulconroy did shoot & missed then he would have been slated for being a glory hunter

James
25/01/2002, 8:11 PM
disagree with you there Troy, I too was behind the goal and what City have been crying out for in that game and the preceeding games has been someone willing to take responsibility and have a crack. City dont get enough shots on target esp ones from say around the edge of the box, and I reckon he was perfectly set up too shoot rather then to pass it

yan
26/01/2002, 12:27 AM
could he cover ollie on the left if ollie was injured or suspened

god forbid

a.n.other
26/01/2002, 11:20 AM
he played senior football championship for st. michael's last year.

Troy.McClure
26/01/2002, 1:40 PM
Fair point James but Bucks should have taken it first time I think. You're deffinitly right about not getting enough shots on target though. :(

Troy.McClure
26/01/2002, 1:43 PM
Originally posted by a.n.other
he played senior football championship for st. michael's last year.

Maybe we should become a GAA team, Id say that we would be fairly handy at that. Mulconroy, O'Grady, Hartigan (?), Carey (?), Colin Snr, all GAA players aswell if Im not mistaken. Good darbies with Nemo Id say ;)

Éanna
26/01/2002, 11:06 PM
And sure with Gunther's "tactics" of lashing the high ball down the centre or over the full-backs, maybe he could coach the cork gaaaaaaa team too! :D