PDA

View Full Version : Molloy set for Derry switch

A face
08/01/2005, 11:48 PM
Molloy set for Derry switch

Derry City’s long pursuit of Drogheda United midfielder Barry Molloy could culminate in the midfielder’s switch to the Brandywell over the coming days.

Derry native Molloy has spent the past season and a half at Drogheda, his initial loan spell from Derby County made permanent 12 months ago.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15426)

makka_dcfc
09/01/2005, 9:04 PM
Glad to finally see all this crap coming to an end. Thank feck it didnt turn out to be another Darren Kelly fiassco. What style of player is he? Similar to Ciaran Martyn?

dortie
10/01/2005, 8:08 PM
Glad to finally see all this crap coming to an end. Thank feck it didnt turn out to be another Darren Kelly fiassco. What style of player is he? Similar to Ciaran Martyn?

Anytime i seen him play against us he was impressive, ive also been talking to alot of footballing heads in Derry here and they rate him highly.

Rusty
11/01/2005, 5:33 PM
barrys a great player, was a little inconsistent for us last season but the year before before he was very impressive and a ball of energy in the middle. i heard today that the deal has hit a snag so he mightnt be going to your lot just yet :p

Dazzy
11/01/2005, 7:07 PM
It said the day in the journal that his agent is looking for a fee :confused:

dortie
11/01/2005, 9:02 PM
It said the day in the journal that his agent is looking for a fee :confused:

It also said it should be sorted out very soon.
Apparently the deal was completed, a nominal fee agreed with Drogs but then the agent came knocking !!

Longfordian
12/01/2005, 2:53 AM
On a slightly related subject..Davy Byrne..good player but very injury prone or good player who's hopefully back to full fitness after an unfortunate spell? Heard whispers of possible interest from us and I'm not too sure about it..Serious opinions welcomed (put aside your anti longford stance Dortie :) )..

MariborKev
12/01/2005, 11:41 AM
Longfordian

Not doubting Byrne's ability- played passes that some of our players couldn't even dream of during his games last season. However his lack of fitness ability to play for ninety minutes really hindered him.

He is definately a "luxury midfielder", he isn't going to win many balls for ya, and his heading and tackling is woeful.

Despite all this, he was a popular figure amongst the City support who appreciated his willingness to play the ball on the ground.

To be honest I don't think he will ever return to full enough fitness to be a dominant midfielder in this League, always will be another Marc Kenny/Paul Byrne like figure.

Longfordian
12/01/2005, 1:29 PM
Right, a valuable option but don't rely on him for 90 minutes by the sounds of things. If we're not building our whole team around him he may do a job as one of three or four midfielders if we do come in for him. Is he being released or what's the story with him?

MariborKev
12/01/2005, 2:25 PM
Kenny wants the whole team to be within Derry or its environs for next season. Byrne lives in Offaly and isn't keen to move apparently. He was on a one year deal anyway AFAIK and therefore is available to anyone.

makka_dcfc
12/01/2005, 10:47 PM
Barry Molloy has finally put pen to paper for Derry City FC. The Derry born midfielder signed a 3 year contract during a press conference held in the Tower Hotel at 2:30pm today, Wednesday 12th January.

In my opinion he will be a breath of fresh air and a welcome link between our defence and our forwards.

dortie
13/01/2005, 7:57 PM
On a slightly related subject..Davy Byrne..good player but very injury prone or good player who's hopefully back to full fitness after an unfortunate spell? Heard whispers of possible interest from us and I'm not too sure about it..Serious opinions welcomed (put aside your anti longford stance Dortie :) )..

First of all, yes I fecking hate Longford.

As for Davy Bryne, I cant believe we have let him go (Due to the Derry based players policy), for me he was the best Midfielder we had in years, good eye for the ball, passes well, fast and can score the odd goal or two. Unlike a certain midfielder we have had for over 6 years, he cant pass a ball if he was paid to. So yes, he is a good player.

Martinho II
14/01/2005, 4:57 PM
davy byrne scored a cracker in the fai cup semi and i can rem him scorin a screamer when with shels. as a longfordian i certainly would welcome him with open arms! :)