PDA

View Full Version : Presidents Cup Final Cork City v Dundalk 27/2/2016

Pages : [1] 2

strikeforce
17/02/2016, 10:00 PM
Just over a week away. Should be a good game, and a decent run out for both clubs. I predict a 2-1 victory for City.

gufcfan
17/02/2016, 10:15 PM
They didn't bother televising this last year did they? Pity.

Ezeikial
17/02/2016, 10:30 PM
Just over a week away. Should be a good game, and a decent run out for both clubs. I predict a 2-1 victory for City.

Never mind the result - will there be a guard of honour?

patrickccfc
17/02/2016, 10:54 PM

Nope, just the presidential salute me thinks :cool:

It may be just a glorified pre-season game but it would be nice to not finish runners up to dundalk for a change.

Hopefully a healthy turnout on the day, many dundalk fans coming down?

nigel-harps1954
17/02/2016, 10:59 PM
Is it an afternoon kick-off? Might be worth a spin down if I'm at nothing else.

patrickccfc
17/02/2016, 11:15 PM
Is it an afternoon kick-off? Might be worth a spin down if I'm at nothing else.

Yup kick off is 2pm. Ah go on come down and COME INTO THE SHED....

dundalkfc10
17/02/2016, 11:20 PM
100-150 Max heading down, know of 3 mini buses so far

jinxy lilywhite
18/02/2016, 6:08 AM
Seems very strange that as League and Cup champions that we have to travel to Cork for this one.

Hope the draw victory will be the last time this season cork get 1 over us :p

White Horse
18/02/2016, 8:10 AM
..many dundalk fans coming down?

Not a lot of interest in the game. I'm in two minds about going myself and I normally don't miss an away game.

disgruntled
18/02/2016, 8:52 AM
Seems very strange that as League and Cup champions that we have to travel to Cork for this one.

Hope the draw victory will be the last time this season cork get 1 over us :p

I suppose for such a prodigious game the FAI decided it should be played on a proper surface :D

oriel
18/02/2016, 9:32 AM
It may be just a glorified pre-season game but it would be nice to not finish runners up to dundalk for a change.

I don't have the figures to hand but the unbeaten run Dundalk have over Cork must be 10+ games and 3 years, no losses in 3 league seasons (9 games) and the cup final, obviously it will end at some stage, be nice to continue the run, plus we are at home twice this season too.

I'd say the match will be as competitive as possible, should be a decent test for both sides, and the last game for both pre the big kick off?

dundalkfc10
18/02/2016, 2:29 PM
I don't have the figures to hand but the unbeaten run Dundalk have over Cork must be 10+ games and 3 years, no losses in 3 league seasons (9 games) and the cup final, obviously it will end at some stage, be nice to continue the run, plus we are at home twice this season too.

I'd say the match will be as competitive as possible, should be a decent test for both sides, and the last game for both pre the big kick off?

Il gladly let Cork win next Saturday (even though I'm for an 8am Saturday bus journey to Cork for the game) once we don't lose the next 10!

strikeforce
18/02/2016, 8:55 PM

Na kid, we wouldn't do that to ye, not before the game anyway. We're not like that, but if you want ye can hang around and form one for us when we lift the cup. :victorious:

strikeforce
18/02/2016, 8:57 PM

Ya Dundalk have had the upper hand for the past three seasons, Super team to be fair.

legendz
20/02/2016, 1:22 PM
Was there a draw to determine home team?

White Horse
20/02/2016, 2:19 PM
Was there a draw to determine home team?

No. The FAI made the decision themselves.

A local journalist spoke to someone in the FAI and was told it was due to a perception that Cork fans "don't travel".

They want it to be a full house and think that Cork people will come out for the occasion and that Dundalk fans will travel in large numbers.

Not sure about that, to be honest.

legendz
20/02/2016, 7:59 PM
I suppose in some ways there's no harm in having it in a different venue from last year.

White Horse
20/02/2016, 8:26 PM
I suppose in some ways there's no harm in having it in a different venue from last year.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.

It will be nice to play on a decent grass pitch as well.

We've had two pre-season friendlies on grass and both surfaces have been very poor. Turners Cross should be immaculate as usual.

D24Saint
21/02/2016, 7:44 AM
Farcical stuff imo Dundalk are league champions they deserve to be home in this never mind double champions, only in this league would this happen.

patrickccfc
21/02/2016, 8:40 AM
Farcical stuff imo Dundalk are league champions they deserve to be home in this never mind double champions, only in this league would this happen.

Yeah cos in every other league it's at a neutral venue.

Should've said only in this league would a team competing in a final have home advantage as it happens every year.

nigel-harps1954
21/02/2016, 8:44 AM
I think it should be held in Finn Park.

That way nobody has an advantage.

D24Saint
21/02/2016, 9:08 AM
Yeah cos in every other league it's at a neutral venue.

Should've said only in this league would a team competing in a final have home advantage as it happens every year.

Hardly a final now is it , just a jumped up friendly.I don't agree with home advantage for the league cup final.

dundalkfc10
21/02/2016, 9:41 AM
It's nothing more than a friendly. Who cares were it is on

patrickccfc
21/02/2016, 9:50 AM
just a jumped up friendly

I said as much in a previous post.. I wouldn't have an issue if it was in oriel either just looking forward to what will hopefully be a great game of football.

White Horse
21/02/2016, 11:44 AM
I said as much in a previous post.. I wouldn't have an issue if it was in oriel either just looking forward to what will hopefully be a great game of football.

Me too. The location is a non issue.

D24Saint
21/02/2016, 12:28 PM

It should be on the TV as it should be a decent game.

White Horse
21/02/2016, 12:58 PM
It should be on the TV as it should be a decent game.

It's a great opportunity to announce to the sporting public that the league is back. The President will be in attendance, two good teams on display, and (hopefully) a good crowd.

Did the FAI no listen to their own Conroy Report and it's call for more "occasions" and "marketing"?

patrickccfc
21/02/2016, 1:57 PM
It's a great opportunity to announce to the sporting public that the league is back. The President will be in attendance, two good teams on display, and (hopefully) a good crowd.

Did the FAI no listen to their own Conroy Report and it's call for more "occasions" and "marketing"?

Yes definitely an opportunity missed only a week before the season starts to show a few people what's on offer and maybe entice them to a game on the opening weekend of fixtures.

Weren't the last two finals televised? It's the so called curtain raiser but only those in attendance will witness it

kksaints
21/02/2016, 4:09 PM
Its clashing with the rugby which is why its not televised. Pity it isnt on the Sunday where is could be televised.

legendz
21/02/2016, 4:15 PM
Many other countries would have cup semi-finals at a neutral venue or over 2 legs.

To get decent crowds for the FAI Cup semi-finals, League Cup final and President Cup, there seems to be a need to give one team home advantage.

oriel
21/02/2016, 5:36 PM
I don't have any problems with the match being played in Cork, it's probably the best ground in the country, hopefully a crowd of 2k + be in attendance for what should be a decent match. It should also be a good test for both sides.

On the topic of cup semi finals, Ireland does not have the population or attendance figures to have these matches in neutral grounds, it's still neutral grounds in the Irish League, but the travel distance is nothing compared to most in LOI. I have to say I liked the two legged cup semi finals that were trialled around 1986 to 1992, thought they worked well, same format as English league cup, home and away with away goals not counting. I remember a cracker back in 87, Dundalk v Bohs. 2-1 for bohs in oriel first game, 1-0 for Dundalk away, then Dundalk won the toss and hosted the replay, we won 3-0 then lost 3-0 in the final to Rovers, talk about highs and lows!

Dodge
21/02/2016, 6:57 PM
Its clashing with the rugby which is why its not televised. Pity it isnt on the Sunday where is could be televised.
No, no one caring about it is the reason it's not on telly. Last 2 didn't clash with rugby

I'd imagine Dundalk's worst crowd of last year was this Cup. Same with Cork next week

No harm moving it about

legendz
21/02/2016, 7:35 PM
It's a curtain raiser for the season. It's a glorified preseason game at the end of the day. Might take a while for it to become established. I'm sure all clubs would like to be in the 2017 Presidents Cup!

Charlie Darwin
21/02/2016, 8:00 PM
If it was on RTE it would replace a league or cup game from their commitment for the year. I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather wait and see Cork play Dundalk in a game that means something.

White Horse
27/02/2016, 1:02 PM
Dreadful crowd in Cork.

Nesta99
27/02/2016, 1:12 PM
Rugby, Election results TV, runner-up fatigue so not that surprising of a low turn out.

Pablo Escobar
27/02/2016, 1:14 PM
Rugby, Election results TV, runner-up fatigue so not that surprising of a low turn out.

What's low? 500?

Pablo Escobar
27/02/2016, 1:19 PM
1-0 Gavan Holohan

micls
27/02/2016, 1:54 PM
Dreadful crowd in Cork.

What crowd would you say? I've heard around 1500 which is a decent crowd for a pre-season game. Sounds like a cracking game too.

micls
27/02/2016, 2:15 PM
Game is actually being streamed on youtube by the FAI! Random and annoying that they didn;t tell anyone in advance.

micls
27/02/2016, 2:21 PM
2-0 City. Beautiful cross from O Connell and Maguire with the finish. Only 3 City players started who started in the Cup Final.

Pablo Escobar
27/02/2016, 2:23 PM
In watching the game. There could easily be up to 1500 to 2000 there. That is more than I thought.

Charlie Darwin
27/02/2016, 2:40 PM
In watching the game. There could easily be up to 1500 to 2000 there. That is more than I thought.
1850 according to the club. Gartland sent off for two yellows.

micls
27/02/2016, 2:54 PM
1850 according to the club. Gartland sent off for two yellows.

I think the club will be well happy with that. And a win and a good performance to add a bit of buzz before the Bohs game next week. Hopefully a big crowd for that. Has to be a psychological boost for our players too, it might only have been a pre-season game in reality, but it's the first win against Dundalk in any form in 3 years.

Pablo Escobar
27/02/2016, 2:56 PM
We were superb there. More of the same please.

Hitman
27/02/2016, 3:07 PM
I'll deal with the controversial stuff first: We Are The Champions was played at the end, and there was no guard of honour for Dundalk coming on or City going off.

It was feisty to say the least, particularly in the first half. While wary of reading too much into one pre-season game, there was a notable increase in midfield drive with Morrissey back for City, and a corresponding drop for Dundalk without Towell.

Real ale Madrid
27/02/2016, 3:09 PM
and there was no guard of honour for Dundalk coming on or City going off.

Seriously, what?

Pablo Escobar
27/02/2016, 3:10 PM
I'll deal with the controversial stuff first: We Are The Champions was played at the end, and there was no guard of honour for Dundalk coming on or City going off.

It was feisty to say the least, particularly in the first half. While wary of reading too much into one pre-season game, there was a notable increase in midfield drive with Morrissey back for City, and a corresponding drop for Dundalk without Towell.

Yes, it's only a preseason game, but what struck me was our physicality. It was the first time we've out-matched them in that area since before we went down to the first division.

Also, Eoghan O'Connell is going to be a big player for us until he goes back to Celtic.

mcgonigle
27/02/2016, 3:15 PM
Game is actually being streamed on youtube by the FAI! Random and annoying that they didn;t tell anyone in advance.

Bloody ridiculous. Only found out 5 mins from the end!

El-Pietro
27/02/2016, 3:30 PM
2-0 actually flattered Dundalk, even before the red card. Could easily have been 4 or 5. Saying that, McNulty, O'Connell and Massey should all have been sent off just before half time, would have been a very different game.

I think if we had lost that it would have been a big deal. As it is, we won a warm up game, and got a slight edge over Dundalk, or get a slight edge back from them maybe but the real stuff starts next week.

Does that red card carry over into the league by the way?