PDA

View Full Version : iTunes now Live in Ireland

James
07/01/2005, 9:27 AM
subject close to my heart..as of midnight last night

PR bit "Apple's revolutionary iTunes Music Store is now available to customers based in Ireland. The Irish store features the same innovative features and breakthrough pricing of EUR0.99 per song that have made iTunes the number one online music service in the world"

link (http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/)

ccfcman
07/01/2005, 9:58 AM
Its a nice small dl that you get with the updates of quicktime. Its pricey though compared to what they pay in the US

tiktok
07/01/2005, 9:59 AM
as someone who's completely clueless :o , would I be able to put download these onto a Creative Zen or is it just to iPod.

oh and by the way, this is another nail in the album coffin. :mad: ;)

ccfcman
07/01/2005, 10:02 AM
Its no nail in no coffins, people without broadband are skrewed really, 15 min dl otherwise :(

Basically this is just a service similiar to Napster et al but you pay, the music plays through quicktime unless specified differently. It'll play on the Zen, but I'd advise you throw that in the bin and get an iRiver!

fosterdollar
07/01/2005, 10:04 AM
you've got to be joking. I've yet to come across any disagreements that the Zen is the best all-round mp3 player out there.

ccfcman
07/01/2005, 10:06 AM
3 of my mates got it, those 3 now have the iRiver as the Zen's all broke down, read incorrect songs etc.

James
07/01/2005, 10:06 AM
Its a nice small dl that you get with the updates of quicktime. Its pricey though compared to what they pay in the US

its pricey given current euro / US$ FX rates
79p stg in the UK,

its all jam though..and does mark troubled times imo for the album

tiktok
07/01/2005, 10:14 AM
It'll play on the Zen, but I'd advise you throw that in the bin and get an iRiver!

Thanks for the advice, but I looked into them before I bought and IMO the Zen is steets ahead, and yours is the first negative comment I've heard. ;)

patsh
07/01/2005, 10:26 AM
I was trying to set up an account on iTunes before Christmas, so my son could get songs. He has a Zen as well, (partly on the recommendation of an Apple reseller!), and during the course of some emails with Apple, they told me that there was no problem with playing songs on the Zen.

drummerboy
07/01/2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone ever heard of a programme called LimeWire?

James
07/01/2005, 10:32 AM
yip just to clear up any confusion
the songs downloaded from itunes can indeed be played on Zen or iRiver
but sound sweeter on the ipod of course :P

ccfcman
07/01/2005, 10:34 AM
And look better on the U2 version :p

noby
07/01/2005, 10:36 AM
this is another nail in the album coffin. :mad: ;)

A nail in the singles coffin , maybe.
As a lover of albums (ie the complete package), to download an album of, say 10 songs costs a tenner, plus internet connection.
You're still left with no hard copy, inlay or anything.

If it helps drive down the price of albums, then no harm at all.

Risteard
07/01/2005, 10:40 AM
Anyone ever heard of a programme called LimeWire?

Ya brilliant, although it'd be a lot more handy if i'd broadband.
I'm having trouble getting stuff on to i-pod though or cd for that matter.
Think its more to do with my ineptitude than any fault with limewire.

Ruairi
07/01/2005, 10:40 AM
yip just to clear up any confusion
the songs downloaded from itunes can indeed be played on Zen or iRiver
but sound sweeter on the ipod of course :P

But aren't ipod tunes encoded in mp4 or something like that?

ccfcman
07/01/2005, 10:51 AM
Mp3s though you could convert them to wav files which are smaller and you get far more songs for your space =)

http://www.mp3-to-wav.net/ez-mp3-wav-converter.htm

Ruairi
07/01/2005, 11:14 AM
it's just when i rip a cd into itunes the format (i think) is mp4u (or something) which means the tracks wont play in media player or open in cool edit pro.. they'll only play in itunes

Risteard
07/01/2005, 12:12 PM
it's just when i rip a cd into itunes the format (i think) is mp4u (or something) which means the tracks wont play in media player or open in cool edit pro.. they'll only play in itunes
Is this similar to the problem i illustrated with limewire above?

drummerboy
07/01/2005, 2:27 PM
Is this similar to the problem i illustrated with limewire above?

I've managed to download lots of music from Limewire, stored it in itunes, copied them onto disc and they play on all dvd, cds I've used. Having broadband makes a huge difference.

patsh
07/01/2005, 3:17 PM
Well spotted.

UK album sales climb as downloads surpass singles
Last updated: 07-01-05, 14:36

UK album sales rose 2.3 per cent in 2004 as the flamboyant disco rockers Scissor Sisters, who hail from the United States but made it big after signing with a UK record label, made an 11th-hour surge to finish at number one. The record UK sales figure of 163.4 million albums, which comes a day after the announcement that U.S. album sales grew in 2004 for the first time in four years, highlights the resurgence of the music sector after a lengthy downturn in sales while illicit music downloads surged.

The physical singles market continued to decline, falling 14 per cent, but the arrival of popular online music stores like iTunes in the UK resulted in a record 5.7 million downloaded singles.

In the final week of the year, online singles outsold their traditional counterparts for the first time, the British Phonographic Industry trade group said today.

Six of the top 10 and 13 of the top 20 albums came from artists signed in the UK, such as Keane and Robbie Williams.

Scissor Sisters, known for their disco remake of Pink Floyd's classic "Comfortably Numb," wound up a scant 582 copies ahead of Keane after a flurry of sales on New Year's Eve.

The band signed with Universal Music's Polydor in the UK after they were unable to find a US label, following in the footsteps of other US expats like Blondie and Jimi Hendrix.

U2's "Vertigo" was the top-selling UK download, boosted by a high-profile partnership with Apple Computer's iTunes.

The top-selling single overall was the reworked Band Aid charity single "Do They Know It's Christmas".

http://images.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/reut_logo.gif (http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaking/reuters.htm)

Ruairi
07/01/2005, 5:23 PM
this is interesting... some dude in america is suing apple over itunes...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/06/slattery/index.php

eoinh
07/01/2005, 6:36 PM
As a lover of albums (ie the complete package), to download an album of, say 10 songs costs a tenner, plus internet connection.
You're still left with no hard copy, inlay or anything.

If it helps drive down the price of albums, then no harm at all.

To be honest I think the music industry is just getting blander and blander. most of the bands i like its the albums i go for rather than one song or a single. i love late 60'/early 70's Progessive/Pschedelicrock. That cant be expressed in a song.

The figures that are being quoted here for downloading a song seem very high. with the dollar so low at the moment it makes more sense to buy the actual album from an american dealer and get it posted over. I got a Jefferson Airplane boxset for less than €20 recently for instance.