PDA

View Full Version : 3-0 to bohs.....

jbrazil
20/01/2002, 6:58 PM
GLEN CROWE bagged a brace to take his personal tally for the season to a whopping 22 goals - he scored a record 35 last campaign - to deal Cork’s title ambitions a severe blow.
The Leesiders remain seven points off the pace following this defeat with just nine games left in the championship race.
Crowe started and finished the move that led to Bohs’ opener after 33 minutes.
He played Dave Morrison through on goal, but Michael Devine blocked the winger’s shot. The ball spun out to Trevor Molloy, who miskicked, but Crowe made no mistake from 15 yards, shooting high into the net to give Bohs the lead.
Skipper Kevin Hunt doubled the visitors’ lead 10 minutes from time. A cross from Dave Hill following a quickly taken corner-kick fell kindly for Hill inside the six yard area and while he miskicked his shot it still bobbled over the line to make the points safe for Bohs.
Crowe added the third on the stroke of time with a clincial finish with his trusty left boot from 15 yards after good work by debutant substitute Barry Ryan and Hunt.
Bohs claimed Cork defender Stephen Napier should have got his marching orders on 70 minutes for dragging down Crowe on the edge of the box after the striker burst clear.
However, Dublin official Feighery took no action whatsoever and waved play on.
Colin P O’ Brien went close to putting Cork ahead on 10 minutes.
He beat Wayne Russell to Ollie Cahill’s cross, but saw his header drift just wide of the post.
Bohs saw Colin Hawkins play Molloy through with a header from the centre circle, but the striker’s goalbound effort from the tightest of angles on 17 minutes brought a fine save from Devine.
The keeper was relieved the visitors’ skipper Hunt didn’t make more of a chance on 20 minutes after he burst through the middle, but failed to trouble Devine.
Bohs’ new signing Ryan started on the bench in a Gypsies line-up that showed one enforced change from the side that beat Cork’s neighbours Cobh 2-0 in the FAI Carlsberg Cup. But he made an immediate impact by helping set up Crowe for the third Bohs goal of the game.
With Avery John on international duty for Trinidad and Tobago at the Gold Cup, former Cork star Hill lined out against his old club.
Cork, meanwhile, were unchanged following their goalless draw in Longford as they look to keep their title hopes alive.
The first save Wayne Russell had to make came on 58 minutes when he kept out O’ Brien’s angled effort with Hill completing the clearance.

jbrazil
20/01/2002, 6:59 PM
Cork City: Devine; Carey (O’ Halloran 75), Coughlan, Napier, Horgan; Bennett (Mulconroy 34), Buckley, O’Grady, Cahill; O’Brien, Hartigan (Morley 50).

Bohemians: Russell; Shelley, Hawkins, Hill (O’ Connor 81), Webb; Harkin, Caffrey, Hunt, Morrison; Crowe, Molloy (Ryan 85).

Referee: John Feighery (Dublin).

jbrazil
20/01/2002, 7:00 PM
that finally rules us out of the championship race.

outplayed by the better side today, didnt really deserve anything from the game.

Gary
20/01/2002, 9:39 PM
Inept display. Dunno what the players were at but it certainly wasn't playing football. bohs were not that good, we were just incredeibly BAD.

Good to here MURPHY OUT towards the end.

:mad: :mad:

Jack_2001
20/01/2002, 11:11 PM
Well at least Hartigan was taken off and Greg was back in.

Can't understand why he made a substitution right on half time and then right AFTER half time though

And BTW, Russels catch in the second half WAS outside the box. I was right in line, but the linesman on this side was ****E

yan
20/01/2002, 11:21 PM
we wer playing good stuff till we conceded 1st,

then heads dropped

murphy panicked with the sub

Éanna
21/01/2002, 1:05 PM
the "tactics" were bizarre, there was no game plan and bohs are professional. thats why we lost.

Zedi
21/01/2002, 6:19 PM
You're right there Eanna, Bohs professional set-up and attitude was the difference between the sides. We just have to go that way, if the board say they cannot afford it................ then do a Celtic on it sell shares in the club, put it on the markets or whatever you have to do( I'm just a soccer fan not an accountant).
Then we'ed see where the supporters are, they came out in their droves for Celtic in both share issues. Is somthing like this possible?

Éanna
21/01/2002, 8:19 PM
Originally posted by Zedi
Is somthing like this possible?
not without a new board.

SÓC
21/01/2002, 10:40 PM
Not a hope, would never work to the extent of the big name ones. Did Waterford try it a few years back?

What could, and probally would work if the board put had the interest of the club at heart is getting some rich Irish man who wants to buy a brit team and make them into Champions League regulars, get him to buy City. He wouldnt have to wait for 4/5 years for them to get promoted and he could get Champions League football alot easier, cheaper and quicker.

Once one man/woman with more money than sense makes the leap, and it works, watch out for a bandwagon to start.

To me this is the only (unlikely) way that Clubs would take off here.

We could have a pro set-up in the morning if the board so wished, but neigh!

Find a rich Corkman......Sir Anthony O'Reilly as he calls himself perhaps?

patsh
22/01/2002, 7:26 AM
The worst thing about the performance on Sunday, was the way so many of the team just gave up. Derek Coughlan, Steven Napier, Alan Buckley, Ollie, C P O'Brien and Noel Mooney were doing their best, but you cannot compete in games when there are 5 players gone missing ! It's not like Bohs were particularly good. I have to agree with those posting about the bizarre timing of the subtitutions. A really serious shake up is needed, as Murphy seems to have run out of ideas. City should be playing for more than the League cup!

Jack_2001
22/01/2002, 8:49 AM
ya, noel didn't deserve the defence he had in front of him on monday, patsy and liam were both playing out of position and had stinkers :)

Troy.McClure
22/01/2002, 11:25 AM
Still though it was nice to see Fergie and Jonny Glynn back aswell, al be it on the bench :D

Éanna
22/01/2002, 12:05 PM
good to see Kabia and Dobbsy back as well :D

well Dobbsy actually was there apparently.

patsh
22/01/2002, 12:27 PM
Aw f**k off the lot of ye ! Slip of the finger!!!!
Devine did have a decent game though................. :o

Éanna
22/01/2002, 12:32 PM
ah no in fairness, mooney played well at half-time :p
we'll leave you away with it so i suppose.

Jack_2001
22/01/2002, 1:58 PM
Ya, sorry about that odd, it was a bit cruel:)
As for Devine, what did he have to do really? Just pick the ball out of the net three times and collect a few through-balls.

I thought he might have saved the second goal though, looking at it on RTE again, it seemed to slip over his fingers in true fumble fashion. He had no chance with the first goal, and he made the third goal look better than it was with the dive me made for it:)

pete
22/01/2002, 2:02 PM
Look the newbies name is oddboy! what did ye expect? ;)

Joking aside Devine was definitely at fault for the 2nd goal. Hunt barely hit the ball & it just bobbled intot he net. devine makes too many errors for my liking......

patsh
22/01/2002, 2:18 PM
I thought he had a good game, cos he did MOST of the things he had to do well. The second goal was not well struck, but it got a little bobble just as it reached him and I thought he was unlucky.
What ever about Devine, the fact is that Glen Crowe had two chances, and he put them away. Since the Galway game City have scored 1 goal at home (outside freaky og's). This is disastrous. The defence has not been too bad, but surely the time has come to get someone who can find the net. In the second largest population centre of the country, we MUST be able to find someone?

BTW, I only found this site because of the publicity about it on Sunday. Pretty good from what I've seen so far, but you would'nt want to be making any f**k-ups, would you?! ;)

pete
22/01/2002, 2:36 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
.....but you would'nt want to be making any f**k-ups, would you?! ;)

As a Manager I can't be condoning this behaviour but just look at like the initiation of a 'new signing' like the crazy gang of old. Just be lucky you didn't get the web equivalent of burning your designer suit ;)

Éanna
22/01/2002, 5:47 PM
I think the key to more city goals is dropping hartigan. Whoever is partnering him has to do all the work and running to get the ball in the box, because he's so lazy, which doesn't give Jimmy Mull or Skippy or CP the chances they are capable of finishing.

ARE YOU WATCHING GUNTHER?

Jack_2001
23/01/2002, 8:42 AM
Ya, I can't understand what would be wrong with CP and Jimmy upfront. They both work hard.... Jimmy Mull would have a big man of sorts to feed off of, which is his preferred way of playing! At least Micky's clearances have a chance of bouncing off a city head!! I think it would be our best chance of scoring, if we had those two up there