PDA

View Full Version : "alexander" gets slated

the 12 th man
06/01/2005, 10:04 AM
oliver stone & colin farell are reportedly devastated by the way the american critics are hammering the film.(ah god help them).

the final humililiation was only grossing 18 mil dollars on opening weekend and getting its butt kicked by "meet the fockers" with 42 mil dollars

tetsujin1979
06/01/2005, 10:51 AM
Irish premiere is tonight at 6 in the savoy, traffic on o'connell street is being diverted for it.

A mate of mine saw it in Sweden before Christmas, said it's a load of rubbish, everyone in the film has Irish accents!

carrickharp
06/01/2005, 10:59 AM
Sure Mick Lally aka Miley Byrne is also in it :eek:

Poor Student
06/01/2005, 11:00 AM
I believe the Macedonians have Irish accents on purpose to differentiate them from the Greeks or so I think I read. Though reasonably Hellenic the Macedonians were seen as somewhat barbarian and un-Greek by the Greeks and the language spoken by the Macedonians was not quite the same. Being in English I think they gave them Irish accents to differentiate.

Babysis
06/01/2005, 11:06 AM
It has colin Farell in it. I don't care what it's like after that :D

Roo69
06/01/2005, 11:20 AM
Did anyone see the programme on national geographic about the making of the film ? excellent stuff. Farrell really broke his arse to get the part right. 2 months of combat school on his own and then a further 3 months in morocco training his own army ! mad stuff.

exile
06/01/2005, 2:38 PM
from the trailers of the film you would think alexander was from foxrock in dublin and played rugby with some of the ladsh

Macy
06/01/2005, 2:49 PM
from the trailers of the film you would think alexander was from foxrock in dublin and played rugby with some of the ladsh
Well he is from Castleknock, which isn't really comparable to Sheiff Street....

niamh
06/01/2005, 4:01 PM
First Mr Pitt in a short skirt...now Colin Farrelly...
Myself + female friends have been looking forward to it for awhile
BUT one of my housemates does a very good impression of Alexander as a Dub.

"I'll bleedin burst ya...wa did youse say bout me Maaaaaa"

inexile
06/01/2005, 4:03 PM
It has colin Farell in it. I don't care what it's like after that :D

following on from that angelina jolie is in it if she was in fair city id nearly watch it,but id have to think long and hard

the 12 th man
06/01/2005, 4:29 PM
after premiere party in vicar st venue.its been done up as a replica as a scene out of the movie

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 4:32 PM
Im sure max will tell us all about it ;)

Babysis
06/01/2005, 4:49 PM
following on from that angelina jolie is in it if she was in fair city id nearly watch it,but id have to think long and hard

See forget about the accents/content/plot. This film clearly has something for everyone, colin and angelina :D

M@ttitude
06/01/2005, 10:34 PM
Did anyone see the programme on national geographic about the making of the film ? excellent stuff. Farrell really broke his arse to get the part right. 2 months of combat school on his own and then a further 3 months in morocco training his own army ! mad stuff.
I saw that, pretty cool.. Makes me want to go watch it, its a pity that it flopped really because alot of hard work went into it, Oliver Stone actually put ten years into this! He wanted the macedonians to have Irish accents and the greeks to have English accents so we could tell who's who but also to simulate the conflict and troubles between the two. People say its impossibe to make a good hollywood type movie out of Alexander because he led a very complicated and non hollywood life with his failed relationships and 71 battles, he was a by-sexual so its not like your typical flick like Gladiator which is about one man and his revenge with a token love story.. Im going to give this flick a chance anyway with a very open mind. ;)

A face
06/01/2005, 11:59 PM
Spoke to people who saw it tonight and they said it wasn't that bad .... not as bad as people are making it out to be.

I cant say either way ... haven't heard the reviews and haven't seen it .... Alexander who ?? :p

M@ttitude
07/01/2005, 1:45 AM
.... Alexander who ?? :p The Deadly!!

Aberdonian Stu
07/01/2005, 2:21 PM
First Mr Pitt in a short skirt...now Colin Farrelly...
Myself + female friends have been looking forward to it for awhile
BUT one of my housemates does a very good impression of Alexander as a Dub.

"I'll bleedin burst ya...wa did youse say bout me Maaaaaa"

I'd be sceptical of the quality of that if they're Corconian. No offence to Langhers but there's a few in my course and their version of the Dublin accent is truly awkward to listen too, almost as bad as my Cork one :D

Duncan Gardner
15/01/2005, 7:56 PM
Belated New Year to all. I have just left the cinema after watching the movie right through. It took me nearly a week...

Thumbs down to my date and guide, foot.ie's own Davros. The slapheaded satrap failed to alert me to his scene- Alexander taking tribute from the Persian princess in Babylon. Apparently, baldie in a mini-skirt,sandals and Latino footballer wig was on screen for about 1.5 seconds :)

It's not as bad as the Yank critics said. Farrell's OK, a bit wooden in the first half but good showing the increasing claustrophobia as they conquer further and further from home. As for gay nookie, there isn't really any. Jared Leto too busy with his passable Oirish accent.

The worst parts are Alex's Ma and 'mott playing it less Ryan's Daughter than
Carry on meets Turkish Delight advert...

They should have cut 30%, dropped the snake charming and Aristotle's cameo. The battle scenes overlong though quite well shot.

But worst of all there's no Gordian knot! That's like an Irish film without priests, gombeen men or moonlit shots of the Ha'penny bridge :(

CollegeTillIDie
15/01/2005, 9:41 PM
I believe the Macedonians have Irish accents on purpose to differentiate them from the Greeks or so I think I read. Though reasonably Hellenic the Macedonians were seen as somewhat barbarian and un-Greek by the Greeks and the language spoken by the Macedonians was not quite the same. Being in English I think they gave them Irish accents to differentiate.

Yes because nowadays the principle language spoken in the FYR Macedonia is Macedonian, a Slavic language closely related to Serbo-Montenegrin, Croatian and Bosnia-Herzegovinian.

the 12 th man
16/01/2005, 1:00 PM
Er,Dont slag it too much..........they somehow allowed yours truly onto set........& made it fleetingly into 2-3 scenes.......may be more if the DVD is its proposed length of 4.5 hrs! :eek:

May also make it into 'Closer' :rolleyes: also out this week..... ;)

so whats the life of a film star really like then davros,is it all glitz, glamour and fast women ?.

the 12 th man
16/01/2005, 4:17 PM
............& remembering to lose specs.& watch on set :o

any chance we'll see them on a table or similar in the backround somewhere in the movie :D

Duncan Gardner
16/01/2005, 4:54 PM
Mick Lally actually plays the horse dealer (nice touch!) who sells Alexander's father the famous Bucephalus. Actually one of the best scenes from the early part of the movie, though as I hinted they could have dropped his childhood altogether.