PDA

View Full Version : Football Questions..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Neil
13/11/2003, 6:48 PM
Mark Hately?

Neil
24/11/2003, 8:29 PM
Luther Blissett?

gustavo
26/11/2003, 3:18 PM
is it a trick question?
if so
john aldridge?

Neil
01/12/2003, 3:29 PM
Roy Keane?

RebelBhoy
14/01/2004, 11:04 AM
is the player who won the player of the year in scotland and england Kenny Dalglish

RebelBhoy
14/01/2004, 11:09 AM
oh right missed the next post.

shedite
29/01/2004, 12:11 PM
Not sure if I've posted this here before but how many players, can ye name, currently playing in the premiership who have won champions league medals excluding the Manchester United 99 squad.

ie Steve McManaman (with Real Madrid)

Shed End John
29/01/2004, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by shedite
Not sure if I've posted this here before but how many players, can ye name, currently playing in the premiership who have won champions league medals excluding the Manchester United 99 squad.

Geremi, Makelele, Campo all ex-Real Madrid.

SÓC
29/01/2004, 12:34 PM
Ibrahim Ba who is with Bolton. Scored twice against us in the friendly.
Did he win one with AC Milan?

N'Goma (centre back for Bolton) or something that sounds like that, did he win wasnt he on the same Marsaille team as Barthez (if he is still with Man Utd)?

Bogarde at Chelsea (even tho he hasnt played in years) didnt he win with Ajax.

Shed End John
29/01/2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Ibrahim Ba who is with Bolton. Scored twice against us in the friendly.
Did he win one with AC Milan?

Bogarde at Chelsea (even tho he hasnt played in years) didnt he win with Ajax.

Bogarde did indeed win with Ajax in 1995. not sure about Ba, AC's last win before 2003 was in 1994 when they beat hotly fancied Barcelona 4-0 in Athens. One of the greatest performances I've EVER seen any team give.

gustavo
29/01/2004, 3:23 PM
kanu also from that 95 team

max power
29/01/2004, 3:49 PM
anelka real madrid

Xlex
29/01/2004, 4:15 PM
General Football trivia....

Gary
01/03/2004, 6:44 PM
Who holds the record for the fastest hat trick scored in football history???

eoinh
01/03/2004, 7:27 PM
Jimmy O'Connor of shels:)

Sheridan
16/08/2004, 4:01 AM
Jimmy O'Connor of shels:)
Well, since it's been five months, I have to assume that Eoin isn't going to pose a question of his own ;)

So here's one:

Which club has finished bottom of the League of Ireland on more occasions than any other? (Supplementary question: This club has never been relegated - true or false?)

ccfcman
16/08/2004, 3:12 PM
ok new question,

its about english clubs however,which english league club's letters cannot be coloured in,eg Luton Town(you could colour in the "O",similiarly Bradford)

hint:it has a connection with the eL :cool:

the entire teams official name must be included

Gary
16/08/2004, 6:00 PM
HULL CITY

eL connection i assume is Damien Delaney.

Sheridans Q:

Longford Town, and no they havent ever been relegated.

Cant think of a q to ask. Ill be back.

Sheridan
16/08/2004, 6:06 PM
HULL CITY

Sheridans Q:

Not the answer I had in mind, and I'm pretty sure I'm correct. Remember that the League of Ireland comprised one division until 1985...

Slash/ED
16/08/2004, 6:08 PM
Is it Bohs Sheridan?

Sheridan
16/08/2004, 6:09 PM
Is it Bohs Sheridan?
Correct! How about the supplementary question :)

Slash/ED
16/08/2004, 6:16 PM
I'm pretty sure they've never been relegated alright. I'll need to get back to you on a question meself.

Sheridan
16/08/2004, 6:19 PM
I'm pretty sure they've never been relegated alright. I'll need to get back to you on a question meself.
You're both right and wrong :)

Trick question really, they were relegated in 1911 during their Irish league days.

anto eile
18/08/2004, 1:01 PM
jimmy o connor holds the record for shels for fastest hat trick, my dad was at the game. but according to argentine league statistics the fastest record is 1min 50 sec back in the 60s between estudiantes and someone else i cant remember. the scorer slips my mind too,it was an italian name afaik.il get back to this when i find out..

tricky question:
what is the name of the stadium in which arsenal play?

true or false: Panathinaikos were founded by an irishman?

and a few questions with a south american slant:

where did Boca Juniors get their colors from?

the amalgamation of which two clubs led to the foundation of River Plate?

which bolivian top division team is named after an irishman?

which argentine football team has the same name as a dublin GAA team?

Pat O' Banton
18/08/2004, 1:30 PM
1. Arseanal Stadium (had to double check the website as I'd never hear the end of it if I was wrong -please don't say that there is another answer :eek: )

2. The Pana answer is no, and the explaination is buried somewhere deep in the Pro/ anti Celtic thread.

I'll have a guess at Sarsfield's for the Argentine / Dub GAA one. Thnk set up by a desendent of Patrick Sarsfield

Sheridan
18/08/2004, 2:37 PM
true or false: Panathinaikos were founded by an irishman?
Definitely false. The shamrock was the symbol of another club with whom one of Pana's founders was associated.

where did Boca Juniors get their colors from?
The legend is that its founders decided to adopt the colours of the flag on the next ship that pulled into the harbour, which happened to be a Swedish one, hence blue and gold. Not sure if it's true.

which bolivian top division team is named after an irishman?
Don't know this, or the River one. O'Higgins of Chile is the only South American club I can think of that fits the bill.

which argentine football team has the same name as a dublin GAA team?
Here I'm let down by my knowledge of GAA, but I'm guessing, as Pat says above, that it's Velez Sarsfield. Incidentally, I happened to read about their formation just the other day. I think the name comes from the train station in which the founders sheltered during a heavy storm, and where they decided to form a football club. The Sarsfield in question was, I believe, a lawyer or civil servant who drew up Argentina's constitution, and of Irish descent.

tetsujin1979
18/08/2004, 2:51 PM
The legend is that its founders decided to adopt the colours of the flag on the next ship that pulled into the harbour, which happened to be a Swedish one, hence blue and gold. Not sure if it's true.

I heard the same thing about the Brazilian national team colours. Which is true?

<EDIT>

My mistake, did a search, it was Boca. see here (http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:G6tyVJhRglkJ:www.fifa.ch/en/display/article/print,5591.html+team+colours+%2Bblue+%2Byellow+%22 Boca+Juniors%22+Swedish+ship+%2Bharbour&hl=en)

Sheridan
18/08/2004, 2:56 PM
I heard the same thing about the Brazilian national team colours. Which is true?
Certainly not true of Brazil, who wore white shirts until 1950, when a competition to design a new kit in the national colours (green, gold, blue) was instigated. Incidentally, Aldyr Schlee, who won the competition and is now a famous novelist, supports Uruguay! I've seen some of his discarded sketches for the kit, and a couple were nicer than the one he decided upon.

anto eile
20/08/2004, 7:45 PM
Certainly not true of Brazil, who wore white shirts until 1950, when a competition to design a new kit in the national colours (green, gold, blue) was instigated. Incidentally, Aldyr Schlee, who won the competition and is now a famous novelist, supports Uruguay! I've seen some of his discarded sketches for the kit, and a couple were nicer than the one he decided upon.

yeah he was 19 in 1953 when he won the competition.the kit HAD to have all the colors of brazils flag. ie yellow green blue and white. bizarrely the white jersey was partly blamed for the 1950 world cup defeat.out of the other possibilities,his kits were yellow and green hoops (obviously in honor of Rovers :) ) with white shorts and blue socks with yellow blue and green trim, green shirt with yellow trim, blue shorts and yellow green and white hooped socks, green and yellow striped shirt blue shorts with white trim and white socks with green and yellow trim, and the last design was yellow shirt, green trim with brasil and 5 stars on the front in green,blue shorts, green socks with yellow blue and white trim.

Arsenal staadium is the name, highbury is merely the address of the stadium.not many people would get that right though

re panathinaikos, they originally wore red with no crest, but changed to green (i dont actually know why) and adopted the shamrock as a crest because its considered a good luck charm in greece.theyve no hystorical connection with ireland though

yes vélez sarsfield and the lucan gaa club with the same name,no idea about where the name comes from though for Vélez

O'Higgins is the answer named after Bernardo O'Higgins,son of Ambrose a meathman afaik.was the ruler of bolivia for years before being forced into exile by peruvian enemies

River was founded by the aalgamation of Santa Rosa and Rosales

ccfcman
21/08/2004, 9:23 AM
HULL CITY

Sheridans Q:

correct sir!

M@ttitude
06/01/2005, 12:47 AM
Any one got any good brain teasers, ill get the ball rolling, who is the only foreign player (not including Ireland, Scotland, Wales) to reach ten years playing for the same club in England.. :confused:

RedX
06/01/2005, 11:14 AM
Probably Matt Le Tissier when at Southampton...was'nt he born outside England??... :D

De Town
06/01/2005, 11:23 AM
who is the only foreign player (not including Ireland, Scotland, Wales) to reach ten years playing for the same club in England.. :confused:

Scmeichel :confused: (sp.)

Dick Long
06/01/2005, 11:25 AM
German keeper Bert Trautmann was probaly the first -
with Man City for 15 years
Bruce Grobbelaar had 13 with Lpool
was it the first in the 'Premiership era'?
Bergkamp is in his 10th season with Arse

boc123
06/01/2005, 11:36 AM
Ye've probably all heard this one, but anyway....

Name the player(Only one player) who has the following medals:

World Cup Medal
European Championship Medal
Premiership Medal
FA Cup Medal
European Club Championship Medal

Kingdom
06/01/2005, 11:40 AM
Petit?

boc123
06/01/2005, 11:42 AM
Anelka?

Ya, Anelka is correct.

He got the World and European medals even though he didn't play. He was in the French squad, think he had a row with the manager. Premiership and FA cup with Arsenal and European club with Real Madrid.

Macy
06/01/2005, 11:44 AM
He was in the French squad, think he had a row with the manager.
Surely not???? :D

pineapple stu
06/01/2005, 11:48 AM
Anelka wasn't in the French squad (http://www.rsssf.com/tables/98full.html#fra) at all for France '98... Never been to a World Cup at all, in fact.

Risteard
06/01/2005, 12:06 PM
Henry.
Champions League with Juve?

inexile
06/01/2005, 12:20 PM
name 3 ex liverpool players who have won premiership titles

Risteard
06/01/2005, 12:24 PM
Anelka, Dalglish and i dunno

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 12:26 PM
Paul Ince would be the other one

monutdfc
06/01/2005, 12:26 PM
Desailly surely has all those medals

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 12:27 PM
He's never won the Premiership

inexile
06/01/2005, 12:32 PM
what player was only capped once for england scored a hatrick on his debut and also saved a penalty and never player for england again?

Risteard
06/01/2005, 12:32 PM
Henry?
Yes?
No?
Gameshow?

Karlos
06/01/2005, 12:34 PM
Henry has never won the champions league (yet....fingers crossed!) :D

inexile
06/01/2005, 12:35 PM
Ye've probably all heard this one, but anyway....

Name the player(Only one player) who has the following medals:

World Cup Medal
European Championship Medal
Premiership Medal
FA Cup Medal
European Club Championship Medal

fabien barthez surely

gustavo
06/01/2005, 12:36 PM
dont think its barthez when did he win the fa cup ?