PDA

View Full Version : Football Questions..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

gspain
07/07/2003, 4:08 PM
which 2 British cities have had 2 European Cup/Champions League semi finalists from the city? (different years obviously).

Estar
07/07/2003, 4:50 PM
glasgow
liverpool

gspain
07/07/2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Estar
glasgow
liverpool

Glasgow is correct - Rangers in 1960 and 1993 and Celtic in 1967, 1970, 1972 & 1974.

Liverpool is wrong - Everton never reached the semis - nor did Tranmere. :D

Mayo_Bhoy
08/07/2003, 3:19 PM
Rangers despite popular belief did not reach the CL semis in 1993 as there was no semis that year.

gspain
09/07/2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Mayo_Bhoy
Rangers despite popular belief did not reach the CL semis in 1993 as there was no semis that year.

1993 is open to dispute as you say there were no actual semi finals but 2 groups of 4 where the winners went automatically into the final.

In theory the 6 defeated teams coulds claim to have been semi finalists. rangers were runners up in their group and were in contention for a final place until the last day.

Anyway question is still valid as Rangers were semi finalists in 1960 - no arguments here.

Still waiting for the other British city to have produced 2 European cup semi finalists.

parnell ranger
09/07/2003, 11:38 AM
glasgown / nottingham

Mayo_Bhoy
09/07/2003, 11:41 AM
Is it Dundee??

Dundee United got there in the early 80's, losing i think to Roma and Dundee were there sometime in the 60's, not sure exactly when.

Nmae 4 English League clubs with 'e' as the last letter in their name.

parnell ranger
09/07/2003, 11:49 AM
crewe carlisle dagenham n redbridge brighton n hove(pushin it)

Mayo_Bhoy
09/07/2003, 12:04 PM
3 out of 4. It’s Brighton & Hove Albion. Nice try though.

gspain
09/07/2003, 12:07 PM
Dundee is correct - Dundee in 1963 lost to Milan & United in 1984 lost to roma.

No English city has ever had 2 clubs reach the semis.

Mayo_Bhoy
09/07/2003, 12:10 PM
3 out of 4.

Oops! My mistake, you only had 2 out of 4 correct.

gspain
09/07/2003, 12:43 PM
Rochdale, Crystal Palace & Plymouth Argyle

gspain
09/07/2003, 12:44 PM
BTW the Sellafield Shamrocks are known as Carlisle United.

gspain
09/07/2003, 12:51 PM
and Port Vale

so thats Palace, Rochdale & Plymouth

Mayo_Bhoy
09/07/2003, 1:36 PM
Rochdale UNITED and Plymouth ARGYLE

Port Vale is correct

gspain
09/07/2003, 1:55 PM
Err read my posts

Plymouth Argyle, Rochdale, Crystal Palace & Port vale

are the 4.

There is no united after Rochdale.
There is a United after Carlisle
D& R are in the conference which is not the football league.

Mayo_Bhoy
09/07/2003, 2:03 PM
Oops! I feel a right idiot. Had myself confused. They were the 4 I had believe it or not. Hard to concentrate with the boss floating about. I’ll go to the back of the class.

gspain
09/07/2003, 2:23 PM
no probs

How many dog tracks (greyhound stadia etc etc) have hosted LoI football?

Not 100% sure of the answer but I know of at least 7.

gspain
11/07/2003, 8:01 AM
Originally posted by gspain
no probs

How many dog tracks (greyhound stadia etc etc) have hosted LoI football?

Not 100% sure of the answer but I know of at least 7.

Okay that one went down well.

7 dogtracks are/were - Markets Field, Galway sportsground, Brandywell, Kilcohan Park, Greyhound stadium in Thurles, Harolds cross and Shelbourne Park.

I'm not sure re Lourdes Stadium - was there as a kid in 78 and think it might have had a dogtrack as we were miles from the pitch and rode out the gate where Gerry Duggan ran past the last defender to score a late equaliser only to have it ruled out for OFFSIDE.

Sheridan
11/07/2003, 2:53 PM
Since it seems a bit quiet (and since I'd be waiting forever to answer a question correctly before adding my own), I hope no-one will mind if I leap in at this point with a question based on a subject that has exerted an inexplicable fascination over me for years, namely relatively obscure English internationals of the early nineties. I've listed nine groups of four players; two players in each selection HAVE won at least one senior international cap for England, two have not. Your task is to list those who DID NOT play for England (on a group-by-group basis.) This is very Googlable, but could be quite taxing on the unaided mind. Most of these players were around in the early to mid nineties.

A: Michael Thomas, David White, Steve Chettle, Scott Minto.
B: Neil Ardley, Dave Beasant, John Lukic, David Bardsley.
C: Ruel Fox, Stuart Ripley, Mark Draper, Steve Stone.
D: Earl Barrett, John Beresford, Mel Sterland, Peter Beagrie.
E: Kevin Pressman, Brian Deane, Neil Ruddock, Steve Froggat.
F: Paul Warhurst, Barry Vennison, Graham Stuart, Colin Cooper.
G: Stan Collymore, Darren Huckerby, David Unsworth, Lee Chapman.
H: David May, Paul Stewart, John Salako, Stuart Slater.
I: Andy Impey, Shaun Teale, Kevin Richardson, Gary Charles.

pineapple stu
12/07/2003, 6:31 PM
What ever happened to that one about the team with fewest points???

Try this England one (have listed those who have played -process of elimination for those who haven't) -

Group A
I think Michael Thomas has 9 England caps, and Scott Minto I think got at least one when Eriksson was messing around with his left-back slot for a while.

Group B
Would have to wildly guess at the two keepers to have played, seeing as they were around for so long. Can't remember who was understudy for Chris Woods after Shilton retired.

Group C
Steve Stone definitely has a cap - so does Stuart Ripley?

Group D
Earl Barrett has two caps. Wild guess at John Beresford for the other capped player.

Group E
Neil Ruddock has a couple of caps. Steve Froggatt picked up one cap before picking up a very bad injury which I think ended his career.

Group F
Barry Venison and Colin Cooper have played???

Group G
Collymore definitely has played. Lee Chapman must have picked one up at one stage?

Group H
John Salako 13 caps and 1 goal in a far-east tour. Paul Stewart has played as well, I think.

Group I
Gary Charles and Shaun Teale to have played?

Too lazy to check google.

How'd I do?

Sheridan
13/07/2003, 8:25 PM
Good effort Stu, I'll list the answers here since there don't seem to be many takers. These are the players who DID NOT represent England at full international level.

A: Steve Chettle, Scott Minto (Michael Thomas I think has two caps, David White was capped in a friendly against Spain circa 1993.)

B: Neil Ardley, John Lukic (Beasant won two caps in 1990 and was a member of the Italia '90 squad, IIRC. Bardsley also won two caps under Taylor.)

C: Ruel Fox, Mark Draper (Steve Stone made three substitute appearances at Euro '96, but the quarter final against Spain was the last of his nine international caps. Stuart Ripley was capped twice, against San Marino in 1993 and Moldova in 1997.)

D: John Beresford, Peter Beagrie (Barrett won three caps in the early nineties. Sterland was a bit of a cheat on my part, since he won his only cap against Saudi Arabia in 1988/89.)

E: Kevin Pressman, Steve Froggatt (Ruddock won a single cap against Nigeria in 1995, Deane has three. Froggatt was persuaded to declare for England rather than Ireland around 1993. His reward came in the form of two Under-21 caps; he never played a senior international, but was called into the squad by Kevin Keegan on several occasions, which just shows how desperate they were for a left-sided player.)

F: Paul Warhurst, Graham Stuart (spot on, Stu, Venison and Cooper were give two caps apiece by Terry Venables.)

G: Darren Huckerby, Lee Chapman (Collymore has three caps, Unsworth one. Chapman's international career considered of one Under-21 appearance against Ireland in 1981.)

H: David May, Stuart Slater (Well done Stu, although Salako actually has five caps. Stewart has three.)

I: Andy Impey, Shaun Teale (I can never distinguish, in my memory, between Teale and Richardson, but it's the latter who won a full cap against Greece in 1994. Charles won two caps on the aformentioned Far Eastern tour of 1991 (?) )

pineapple stu
13/07/2003, 8:46 PM
Wow - 13 out of 18!!!

Have to be happy with that!

Or is that disturbed...? :cool:

sorbothegreek
15/07/2003, 10:48 PM
I can never distinguish, in my memory, between Teale and Richardson, but it's the latter who won a full cap against Greece in 1994.

Teale was the taller and thiner of the two, both had mustashes, Richardsons hair was a lighter colour and a little more curly. :o

Gary
25/07/2003, 3:15 PM
5 british teams to start and finish with the same letter.

Schumi
25/07/2003, 3:22 PM
Liverpool
Northampton Town
East Fife
York City
Celtic FC?

Gary
25/07/2003, 3:25 PM
well if u put FC on the rest of them it would make them wrong as well, so.................

there is another one anyway.

Schumi
25/07/2003, 3:28 PM
Just realised that the FC wasn't necessary, Celtic will do by itself! I don't think they use the Glasgow (being Irish and all ;)).

pineapple stu
25/07/2003, 4:37 PM
Aston Villa

parnell ranger
26/07/2003, 5:23 AM
northampton?

pineapple stu
26/07/2003, 2:53 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Just realised that the FC wasn't necessary, Celtic will do by itself! I don't think they use the Glasgow (being Irish and all ;)).

We had a table quiz in fourth class - our teacher was married to a cousin of Packie Bonner's. One of the questions was "Which club does Packie Bonner play for?". Everyone wrote down Celtic and we all got it wrong because the teacher refused to accept anything other than "Glasgow Celtic"!

Ahh, bizarre memories of school...

Cityace
03/08/2003, 7:05 PM
Trivia Question;

How many Questions on the waterford matchday program halftime quiz(when they beat us away) were to do with the english league?

1.10 out of ten.

2.5 out of ten.

3.2 out of ten.

Sheridan
03/08/2003, 7:11 PM
Hmm. Five?

pineapple stu
03/08/2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
Trivia Question;

How many Questions on the waterford matchday program halftime quiz(when they beat us away) were to do with the english league?

1.10 out of ten.

2.5 out of ten.

3.2 out of ten.

Years of watching Blackboard Jungle means the answer to any multiple choice question is always "B", so I'm going to go with "A" because it's the highest!

dcnags
05/08/2003, 12:13 AM
we had a few bulgarians,i don't know how many.i think 3 or 4. andy packer, your man toilios (or something similar) and the bosnian we signed recently although he is only about 17 so nasn't played senior and i don't know if thats counted.

I have a question which i heard a few years ago and can only remember 2 players.who has played in the manchester derby(man u or man city), Merseyside derby(everton or liverpool) or glasgow derby(celtic or rangers)?Theres at least 3

Slash/ED
05/08/2003, 12:45 AM
Kanchelskis is one isn't he, I think he played for Everton didn't he?

SÓC
05/08/2003, 12:46 AM
Biscuits
Kabia Dan Murray Dave Hill Hoggie? (wasnt he born in the States?)
Packer Gaughan Mick Conroy McCabe
Trevor Brooking, Dobbs

dcnags
13/08/2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
Kanchelskis is one isn't he, I think he played for Everton didn't he?

Yes that is 1.

Sheridan
14/08/2003, 2:03 PM
Some quick Euro-teasers for the day that's in it:

1: Which LOI club conceded just two goals in four European games during the same season, and still didn't progress a phase? (That one's easy.)

2: Against teams from which country have LOI clubs scored the most victories in European competition?

3: Against teams from which country have LOI clubs scored the most GOALS in European competition? (The number of goals is 24, incidentally.)

pineapple stu
14/08/2003, 4:34 PM
Originally posted by Sheridan

1: Which LOI club conceded just two goals in four European games during the same season, and still didn't progress a phase? (That one's easy.)

2: Against teams from which country have LOI clubs scored the most victories in European competition?

3: Against teams from which country have LOI clubs scored the most GOALS in European competition? (The number of goals is 24, incidentally.)

1. - Cork City in the InterToto? Two 0-0s anyway, possibly two 1-0 defeats in a five team group?

2. Malta?

3. Iceland?

Sheridan
14/08/2003, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
1. - Cork City in the InterToto? Two 0-0s anyway, possibly two 1-0 defeats in a five team group?

Correct-a-mundo! Except they had three 0-0s against Standard Liege, Maccabi Petah Tikva and Aarau, as well as a 0-2 defeat at home to FC Koeln.

Still waiting for correct answers to 2 and 3 (the latter is quite surprising.)

joe
14/08/2003, 6:39 PM

poland?

scotland?

Sheridan
14/08/2003, 7:01 PM
Originally posted by joe
scotland?

Check out the big brain on joe! Scotland is correct (BTW, LOI clubs have conceded 75 goals against Scottish clubs....)

Answer 2 is incorrect, Rovers' wins over Odra Wodzislaw were the first for an Irish club against Polish opponents, to the best of my knowledge. Clue: Stu was fairly close to the answer.

Bluebeard
15/08/2003, 10:41 AM

I have this sneaking suspicion it's Cyprus.

Sheridan
15/08/2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Bluebeard
I have this sneaking suspicion it's Cyprus.
Well played, that man! Six wins in all, here's hoping Derry make it seven.

Bluebeard
26/08/2003, 12:05 PM
Sh*te, I should have posted one, shouldn't I? Right, a handy one and a tough one.

Who was the last League of Ireland player capped before Glen Crowe?

Who is the oldest player in the League of Ireland to play a competitive European club competition match? (Champions League, Uefa, Inter-toto, CWC, Intercity Fairs, Super Cup...). He was the oldest man in Europe to do so at the time, and I reckon that he still might be.

Dodge
26/08/2003, 1:26 PM
Sh*te, I should have posted one, shouldn't I? Right, a handy one and a tough one.

Who was the last League of Ireland player capped before Glen Crowe?

Who is the oldest player in the League of Ireland to play a competitive European club competition match? (Champions League, Uefa, Inter-toto, CWC, Intercity Fairs, Super Cup...). He was the oldest man in Europe to do so at the time, and I reckon that he still might be.
1) Pat Byrne (for Ireland anyway) as you didn't say for Ireland I'd say Mbabazi for Uganda or John for Trinidad & Tobago have loads of recent caps
2) Was it Jim Grace?

Bluebeard
26/08/2003, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
1) Pat Byrne (for Ireland anyway) as you didn't say for Ireland I'd say Mbabazi for Uganda or John for Trinidad & Tobago have loads of recent caps

Ooops, should have out that in, now, shouldn't I. Yes, Pat Byrne, then of Shamrock Rovers. I don't know about players representing other nations, anyone know, please start another thread here, as I'd like to find out

[i]2) Was it Jim Grace? [/B]
Sorry, try again on that one.

pineapple stu
26/08/2003, 4:46 PM

Al Finucane? Retired aged 46 anyway - was playing for Limerick until a few years previously?

pineapple stu
27/08/2003, 12:42 PM
Just thinking - could have been Alek Ludzic as well for Cork?