PDA

View Full Version : Football Questions..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Troy.McClure
23/04/2003, 4:08 PM
OK seeing as no one will put down a question, heres one from me to restart the ball rolling again

What team has the longest name in European top flight football?

Think about it, it's actually really easy, but I want the full official name!

eoinh
23/04/2003, 4:12 PM
Groclin-Dyskobolia Grodzisk ?

Schumi
23/04/2003, 4:22 PM
It's National University of Ireland Dublin, University College Dublin, Association Football Club. :D

Troy.McClure
23/04/2003, 5:05 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
It's National University of Ireland Dublin, University College Dublin, Association Football Club. :D

Now theres a guy who's well educated :D

Originally posted by SCOTTY II

Question:

Who phucked the Boooeeeeeez up?

Um.... Cork City

Ok, another easy question

Where was the World Cup play off between Ireland and Spain played in Paris (sometime in the 70's I think, Eamon Dumphy played in it), origionally scedualled (sp?) to be played in and why was it moved?

pineapple stu
23/04/2003, 6:17 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Where was the World Cup play off between Ireland and Spain played in Paris (sometime in the 70's I think, Eamon Dumphy played in it), origionally scedualled (sp?) to be played in and why was it moved?

The match was in 1965 anyway, and yes Dunphy played. Our group was to include Syria, but they withdrew, leaving just us and Spain. We lost 5-1 away (Andy McEvoy of Blackburn Rovers scored our goal) and won 1-0 at home through an own goal from Iribar, the Spanish keeper. This Jimmy Magee-like waffling, by the way, is merely a cover for the fact that I don't really know the answer. I think it was due to be in England somewhere (Anfield maybe?), but the Spanish FA offered the FAI all the gate receipts to play it in Paris, where there would be fewer Irish fans and therefore Ireland were less likely to pull off a major shock. Course, the FAI, being the FAI, said "Duhhhhh...okay", and we lost 4-1 or something.

After tha match, the Irish press were sending their match reports back to Ireland. Course, the stadium officials evidently forgot about them and turned out all the lights in the stadium while reports were still being transmitted!

And the worrying thing is that I haven't consulted any sort of book or internet site for any of this...:o :o

pineapple stu
23/04/2003, 6:19 PM
Oh, and origionally scedualled should be spelt "originally scheduled" ;)

Bonus points for that?

How about a what happened next? Ireland v. Italy, Dalymount, 1922. Bob Fullam of Shamrock Rovers lines up a free-kick not far outside the area, not his first such effort of the match. What happened next?

pineapple stu
23/04/2003, 6:21 PM
Originally posted by Schumi

Actually, the team name is University College Dublin, National University of Ireland, Dublin.

UCD NUID for short (geddit? You see the nude! Okay...I'm going over here now...:rolleyes: )

Schumi
24/04/2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
How about a what happened next? Ireland v. Italy, Dalymount, 1922. Bob Fullam of Shamrock Rovers lines up a free-kick not far outside the area, not his first such effort of the match. What happened next? He scored?

Schumi
24/04/2003, 11:31 AM
How about a what happened next? Ireland v. Italy, Dalymount, 1922. Bob Fullam of Shamrock Rovers lines up a free-kick not far outside the area, not his first such effort of the match. What happened next? He missed?

Schumi
24/04/2003, 11:31 AM
How about a what happened next? Ireland v. Italy, Dalymount, 1922. Bob Fullam of Shamrock Rovers lines up a free-kick not far outside the area, not his first such effort of the match. What happened next? The keeper saved it?

pineapple stu
24/04/2003, 12:42 PM
Oi - stop spamming Schumi!!!

No, he didn't score.
No, the keeper didn't save it.
No, he didn't miss it.

Something happened even before he took the free-kick.

Or am I going too far back in time?!

By the way, to fill in on the Ireland v. Spain match - apparently, there was no venue for a play-off and so, as the World Cup was in England, the FAI suggested Wembley. Spain baulked, bacuase they were poor travellers and there'd be a good Irish contingent, and so they offered to pay the FAI's travelling expenses if they played in the Colombes stadium in Paris.

They beat us 4-1 in the home leg, and 1-0 in the play-off; Ufarte (great name!) scored 10 minutes from the end.

Troy.McClure
25/04/2003, 12:05 PM
For feck sake give us a propper question! :mad:

ie I dont have a clue!

eoinh
25/04/2003, 12:26 PM
Why did Pascal Nouma of Besiktas get sacked this week?

joe
25/04/2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by eoinh

for putting his hand somewhere he shouldn't have!

eoinh
25/04/2003, 12:32 PM
well done, yeah.

i saw it on eurosport. he left his hand there for ages as well.

:p

pineapple stu
25/04/2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
For feck sake give us a propper question! :mad:

ie I dont have a clue!

Thought you wanted to play?!:D

His previous effort had hit an Italian in the wall in the face, almost knocking him out cold. So when he lined the next free-kick up, some of the Italian players went and asked the referee not to let him take it.

EireBadBoy
26/04/2003, 1:41 AM
Originally posted by eoinh

ISTANBUL - Besiktas soccer club unilaterally annulled contract of French player Pascal Nouma on Tuesday after Nouma stripped his shirt and put his hand down his shorts to celebrate a goal in a league match last weekend.

Club Chairman Serdar Bilgili told reporters that they talked with the technical cadre, and stated that, ''acts of Nouma which he had done in the match with Fenerbahce, contradicts with Turkish customs and traditions. Our Executive Board unilaterally annulled his contract.''

MAGIC Stuff !! I missed that so thanks for letting me know about it, and they say the magic has gone from the game!!:D

Troy.McClure
26/04/2003, 12:19 PM
His previous effort had hit an Italian in the wall in the face, almost knocking him out cold. So when he lined the next free-kick up, some of the Italian players went and asked the referee not to let him take it.

Well seeing as you answered your own question, go ask another (but slightly more recient).

pineapple stu
27/04/2003, 6:54 PM
What was the name of the team founded by Wimbledon fans in protest at Wimbledon moving the club 50 miles north to Milton Keynes?

UCD_4_Life
27/04/2003, 7:02 PM
What was the name of the team founded by Wimbledon fans in protest at Wimbledon moving the club 50 miles north to Milton Keynes?

AFC Wimbledon.

What'll be the name of the real Wimbledon's new ground in Milton Keynes?

pineapple stu
28/04/2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
What'll be the name of the real Wimbledon's new ground in Milton Keynes?

Is this the hockey pitch or the one they'll be building?

Don't know that one.

Couple more questions for the mix -

a) Against which nation have Ireland played the most senior internationals?
b) Against which nation have Ireland played the most senior international friendlies?

Both different answers.

gustavo
28/04/2003, 12:40 PM
is a turkey?

pineapple stu
28/04/2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
is a turkey?

:confused: :confused:

No...

gustavo
28/04/2003, 12:56 PM
belguim ?
poland?
england?

Neil
28/04/2003, 1:28 PM
Holland

Real ale Madrid
28/04/2003, 1:29 PM
Spain?

and

Wales?

pineapple stu
28/04/2003, 4:38 PM
Might as well drag this out a bit...:p

Yez have both the right answers mentioned above - but which two, and for which part?

UCD_4_Life
28/04/2003, 9:03 PM
Is this the hockey pitch or the one they'll be building?

Don't know that one.

"The National Bowl"

Where did Drogs 'keeper Gary Rogers start his career?

Xlex
29/04/2003, 8:53 AM
He played GAA, Meath U-21's... he's a Navan Lad...

pineapple stu
29/04/2003, 12:43 PM
Where did Drogs 'keeper Gary Rogers start his career?

UCD? (Usually wirth a try!)

I've heard this one before though...

UCD_4_Life
29/04/2003, 6:30 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
He played GAA, Meath U-21's... he's a Navan Lad...

Nope.

And no he didn't play for UCD either. You'd actually be suprised, it's a fairly big club.

joe
29/04/2003, 8:17 PM

And no he didn't play for UCD either. You'd actually be suprised, it's a fairly big club.

you don't mean bohs do you? ;)

gustavo
30/04/2003, 1:50 PM
its not shels is it
?

UCD_4_Life
30/04/2003, 9:26 PM
its not shels is it
?

It is actually.

He start off at Shels but never play a game, Drogheda eventually snapped him up.

UCD_4_Life
30/04/2003, 9:48 PM
Crikey, I sound like a Russian in that post.

pineapple stu
30/04/2003, 9:49 PM
a) Against which nation have Ireland played the most senior internationals?
b) Against which nation have Ireland played the most senior international friendlies?

Correct answers are Spain for the first one and Poland for the friendlies.

No idea why we play Poland so much, but sure there you go.

Real ale Madrid
01/05/2003, 12:08 AM
There are 22 "endings" to clubs in the english league. i.e. United, Town etc Name them? (Without looking in the paper)

Real ale Madrid
01/05/2003, 12:08 AM
Must be in top 4 divisions.

UCD_4_Life
01/05/2003, 3:38 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid
There are 22 "endings" to clubs in the english league. i.e. United, Town etc Name them? (Without looking in the paper)

The Detectives.:D

pineapple stu
02/05/2003, 6:16 PM

Town
City
County
United
Rovers
Alexandra
Wanderers
Albion
Rangers (as in QP)
Wednesday
Villa (don't know if that counts?)
Athletic
Forest

There's 13 anyway...

UCD_4_Life
02/05/2003, 7:49 PM
Orient
Palace
Harriers
Hotspur
North End
Wednesday
Diamonds (?)
Vale

That's all I can think of...

gustavo
02/05/2003, 7:56 PM
back in 1996 javier clemente was under pressure to include 2 teenage whizzkids in his squad for Euro 96 . one of these was Rául . who was the other?

UCD_4_Life
02/05/2003, 8:05 PM
back in 1996 javier clemente was under pressure to include 2 teenage whizzkids in his squad for Euro 96 . one of these was Rául . who was the other?

Ivan De La Pena?

gustavo
02/05/2003, 8:09 PM
spot on i guess that was a tad on the easy side. very contrasting careers they have had since

UCD_4_Life
02/05/2003, 8:19 PM
spot on i guess that was a tad on the easy side. very contrasting careers they have had since

I only got it because I saw an episode of Futbol Mundial at the same time which proclaimed them as "the next big thing".

De La Pena is currently bench warming for Espanyol if I remember correcty...

Who was the last English based (not Cardiff) club that Shels 'keeper Steve Williams played for?

Gary
02/05/2003, 11:52 PM

Just to rephrase it a bit for ya.

there are 22 prefixs to place named clubs in the English and Scottish Leagues. ie Park rangers doesnt count. Or rangers as Queens park aint a place.

Town
Forest
Harriers
Wednesday
United
Town
County
Alexandria
City
Academicals
Rangers (as in Glasgow)
Celtic
Athletic
Rovers
Thistle (Partick and Inverness)
Albion

and i know i know there are more but cant think at the mo.

Troy.McClure
03/05/2003, 10:43 AM
Hibs ?

patsh
03/05/2003, 6:00 PM
Well Leyton is a place, so would Orient count?

Real ale Madrid
03/05/2003, 10:25 PM
Town
City
County
United
Rovers
Alexandra
Wanderers
Albion
Rangers (as in QP)
Wednesday
Villa (don't know if that counts?)
Athletic
Forest

all correct

Orient
Palace
Harriers
Hotspur
North End
Wednesday
Diamonds (?)
Vale
The other ending is A.F.C. Bournemouth

Don't know about GWA's question but this one was on a table quiz .

parnell ranger
23/05/2003, 2:08 PM
the guy who played in 2 world cup finals for different teams. you gonna tell us?
i know he played for uruguay and italy but forget his name

cheers