PDA

View Full Version : Football Questions..

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17

pineapple stu
08/01/2005, 2:25 PM
Q: Who are the only English Premier League club to have been relegated with 49 points? Which season?
Crystal Palace the year the league was reduced from 22 teams to 20? Think that was 1993/94.

M@ttitude
09/01/2005, 12:06 PM
Molby wasn't the first...
German keeper Trautmann played with city from 1949-64
is one of their all-time top 5 appearance holders,
was voted Footballer of the Year and played out an
FA Cup Final with a broken neck:

http://www.uit.no/mancity/players/old/trautmann.html

Meant to say Out Field player....

lopez
09/01/2005, 12:59 PM
fabien barthez surelyBarthez wasn't in the Man U squad so I thought not him. Then I had a think and was sure he played in the Marseille v Milan final of 93. He did.

Thomo
09/01/2005, 10:38 PM
i got two:

1)name the player who wn the fa cup in 3 seperate decades?

2) Name the only player who has played in a tyneside( i'e boro and newcastle) derby, a north london derby, a munich derby, and merseyside derby.

Kingdom
10/01/2005, 3:50 AM
Christian Zeige

mypost
10/01/2005, 3:56 AM
Crystal Palace the year the league was reduced from 22 teams to 20? Think that was 1993/94.

Right team. Wrong season. Have another go!

Superhoops
10/01/2005, 6:15 AM

Dennis Wise?

pineapple stu
10/01/2005, 12:29 PM
Right team. Wrong season. Have another go!
Cheated and checked it out on rsssf.com...Their last try in the Premier, two seasons before. High total because there were 42 games.

Dennis Wise appeared in three Cup Finals in three decades, but didn't win them all (lost with Millwall in the summer)

Gary
10/01/2005, 3:06 PM
Dont know the answer to this myself.

Since Peter Schmeichal left man Utd, they have used 9 keepers. Name them.

Im at
Barthez,
Bosnich
Howard
Carroll
van De Saar?

Longfordian
10/01/2005, 3:10 PM
Taibi
Andy Goram :eek:
Ricardo..

drawing a blank now, Van Der Saar never played for utd, possibly thinking of Van Der Gouw, he could be another one alright

inexile
10/01/2005, 3:12 PM
andy goram
ricardo
taibi
i think you meant van der gouw
cant think of the last one probably very obvious

inexile
10/01/2005, 3:13 PM
jaysus longfordian are we sharing the same brain???
although i look like a bit of a **** now posting the exact same thing!!

Longfordian
10/01/2005, 3:13 PM
Nick Culkin came on for about minute against Arsenal one year, I think he must be the last one, pretty sure that was post Schmeichel

always happens on these threads that someone posts the exact same thing :)

Gary
10/01/2005, 3:17 PM
Id say taibi is wrong. He was there around 1996/7, no?

And yes, I meant Van Der Gouw.

Longfordian
10/01/2005, 3:20 PM
Nope Taibi was the same year as Bozzie the Ozzie, 2000 or so

Plastic Paddy
10/01/2005, 3:22 PM
Dont know the answer to this myself.

Since Peter Schmeichal left man Utd, they have used 9 keepers. Name them.

As an aside, there was a wonderful article in the Observer Sports Monthly of November 2004 on this very subject. It's well worth reprinting here and not just because it lists the answers!

:D PP

---

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,6903,1337035,00.html

Fergie's dodgiest keepers

Luke Bainbridge
Sunday October 31, 2004
The Observer

1 Massimo Taibi
The Don of Calamity's four appearances were so comical that Fergie wondered if 'Taibi' was Italian for 'nightmare'. Even his 1999 transfer from Venezia was fumbled, when an administrative delay meant he missed Champions League registration. Just as well, really. Taibi made his name against Southampton when Matt Le Tissier miscued a speculative shot so badly that he turned away in disgust. Taibi knelt to collect the daisycutter, but somehow let it slip between his gloves and legs. Like a good keeper, he had an excuse ready: 'I slipped as I went to pick the ball up. During the week I was asking for longer studs because the ones I have are too short.' Things got worse at Chelsea a week later. Taibi kept a clean sheet for all of 28 seconds, before rushing off his line to be easily beaten in the air by Gus Poyet. United lost 5-0. The BBC later alleged Jason Ferguson's company Elite was paid £50,000 to move him on. Money well spent.

2 Mark Bosnich
The Australian first arrived at Old Trafford as a 16-year-old, but was deported after work-permit problems. Re-signed in 1999, he arrived late and overweight for his first training session. Fergie was away, but Roy Keane wasn't and sneered: 'Your first ****ing day at United and you turn up an hour late for ****ing training.' Bosnich's off-field behaviour hardly endeared him to the boss either, not least when arrested outside a strip bar at 4am on his wedding day. You can't buy class. You can, however, buy Taibi and Fabien Barthez, which Fergie duly did. 'Things didn't work out at United,' Bosnich admitted. Nor at Chelsea, to whom he was sold. In 2002 he failed a drug test and was banned for nine months.

3 Andy Goram
When United come calling, you listen. Unless you're Goram. '**** off. I've got a pub to run and goats to feed!' was his response to Sir Alex's phone call in March 2001, presuming it was old Rangers pal Ally McCoist winding him up. Fergie had to ring back to convince him the offer was genuine. With Barthez and Raimond van der Gouw injured, and a transfer deadline looming, a short-term solution was required. He may have been at the top of his game for Scotland in Euro 96, but before he joined United he had just opened a bar, bought some livestock and had pretty much hung up his gloves. United paid Motherwell £100,000 to take him on a three-month loan. Daylight robbery.

4 Ricardo
When the Reds signed Ricardo Lopez Felipe from Real Valladolid for £1.5m in August 2002, Barthez told L'Equipe that his chances of replacing him were negligible. Ricardo responded to Spanish paper As: 'He's just a regular goalkeeper. He's not God. He's only human and Alex Ferguson knows that.' The Spaniard made five appearances that season, including his debut against Blackburn when he conceded a penalty before he touched the ball. He also kept, or didn't keep, goal when United lost 3-0 to Maccabi Haifa in Cyprus, suffering Seaman-itis for the opener, which sailed over his head from 25 yards, then bringing down Raimondas Zutautas to concede a penalty for the third. Loaned to Racing Santander at the start of this season with a view to a permanent move, he is scarily now back training at Carrington.

5 Kevin Pilkington
Given a nice relaxing 1995 Coca-Cola Cup tie against York City and with the experience of Parker, Irwin and Pallister to protect him, the callow Pilkington had the ideal opportunity to settle himself into the world's biggest club. Until the Second Division side pulled off a shock 3-0 victory. On New Year's Day 1996, Peter Schmeichel strained a muscle against Spurs and United went into the interval 2-1 down. With the Great Dane unable to continue, Pilkington came in, conceding within three minutes. United lost 4-1. The inevitable loan to Rochdale soon followed.

6 Fabien Barthez
The World Cup-winning France goalkeeper was world class. But not necessarily for the Reds. Pure entertainment and pure United, Barthez was a crowd favourite and one of the few goalkeepers you would pay money to watch. Unfortunately, his eccentricity seemed to get in the way of consistency. His inclusion here was cemented by the double act he established with Wesley Brown to rival Laurel and Hardy, best illustrated in Deportivo's 3-2 win at Old Trafford in October 2001 when each left the ball for the other to gift the Spaniards what Marca 's headline declared as 'the most stupid goal of the Champions League'.

7 Paul Rachubka
Born in America, schooled in Manchester and a product of the youth system. Two Reds were overheard at a United v City reserve game, declaring the teenage keeper would eventually be first choice for years to come. Fergie didn't quite agree. When Barthez injured himself warming up against Leicester in March 2001, Dwight Yorke was first to offer to play in goal and actually warmed up with the gloves on, but he failed to save a single shot. In his place, Rachubka had virtually nothing to do in a routine 2-0 victory, but never got a look in after that. Offloaded to Charlton in May 2002 for £200,000, he has since been loaned to Burnley, Huddersfield, Milton Keynes Dons and now Northampton.

8 Jim Leighton
Still a cult hero at United, not least for his willingness to dive head first at the feet of onrushing strikers, and the resulting toothless grin. Leighton's treatment epitomises Fergie's ruthlessness when it comes to keepers. He won close to 100 caps for Scotland and enjoyed unparalleled success at Aberdeen with Fergie, who subsequently brought him to Old Trafford. When Ian Wright stuck two past him in the 1990 FA Cup final, however, he was unceremoniously dumped, to be replaced by Les Sealey, on loan from Luton, for the replay. Leighton's confidence never recovered.

9 Roy Carroll
A Northern Ireland international, Carroll arrived from Wigan in July 2001, where he had been the rock on which the club had built a celebrated 26-game unbeaten run. Despite plenty of first-team appearances, he has never cemented his position in the team and is another who is prone to the odd heinous mishap, as happened against Charlton in 2003. Keane played the ball back to him on the edge of the area, but Carroll fluffed his clearance straight to Claus Jensen, who curled the ball from distance into the gaping empty net.

10 Tim Howard
Still the favourite to make the No 1 jersey his own, even though Fergie's confidence in him has dipped after his tendency to spill shots was most cruelly exposed by Porto in last season's big Champions League game. Howard failed to hold Benni McCarthy's last-minute free-kick and Costinha bundled home the ball as it dropped in front of him. United were out, and Porto went on to win the cup. José Mourinho had planned it all, apparently.

Rationale

This month's 10 was selected by Luke Bainbridge. Here he justifies his choice:

It's unlikely that the Treble season will ever be repeated. By anyone. But if you were to look for reasons why Manchester United haven't hit such heights since, one has to be the chasm left by the man whose last act as a Red was to lift the European Cup on 26 May 1999. You can't replace the irreplaceable. God knows, in the five short years since, United have tried often enough.

At his peak, Peter Schmeichel was unquestionably the greatest goalkeeper in the world, but he was always much more than a pure shot-stopper. He had a huge physical and vocal presence, dominating his area and the players around him. Journalist Jim White called it an 'extraordinary alchemy', this ability to drain confidence from opponents and instil it in team-mates. He saved United's bacon on numerous occasions and even defensive rocks such as Gary Pallister and Steve Bruce didn't escape a regular roasting from the pig farmer, should the opposition have the audacity to get a shot in on goal.

Jim Leighton is the only one here to pre-date Peter the Great and he was also the first to experience Fergie's ruthlessness, which has been suffered by plenty of the others since. If Diego Forlán had been a keeper, his United career would have been a lot shorter.

In their defence, some here suffered from United's lack of a commanding centre-half in the post-Stam, pre-Rio era. In Sir Alex's defence, the form and temperament of Jens Lehmann suggest that Arsène Wenger is now experiencing post-Seaman disorder.

Most would still say the way forward is Howard's way, but Luke Steele may yet have something to say about that.

Junior
10/01/2005, 3:40 PM
i got two:

Mark Hughes??

Sheridan
10/01/2005, 3:54 PM
Dennis Wise appeared in three Cup Finals in three decades, but didn't win them all (lost with Millwall in the summer)
Would have won with Chelsea in 2000, no?

Superhoops
10/01/2005, 6:45 PM
He captained Chelsea to win in 2000 (remember that soppy photo of him collecting the cup with his son)

Thomo
10/01/2005, 7:46 PM
i'm no sure about wise, he may have done, so i'll expand the question what two, with wise being one, players, have played in 3 cup finals in 3 decades.

Superhoops
10/01/2005, 8:10 PM
i'm no sure about wise, he may have done
Wise played for Wimbledon in 1988, Chelsea in 1997 and Chelsea 2000, won all three, before losing with Millwall last year.

Thomo
10/01/2005, 8:22 PM
ok, now i see the problem, had the question worng sorry guys its:

what player, played in an fa cup final in the 70's, 80's, and 90's?

Superhoops
10/01/2005, 8:35 PM
what two, with wise being one, players, have played in 3 cup finals in 3 decades.
How about Pat Jennings? Played in 4 finals in three decades. 67 for Spurs, 78, 79, 80 for Arsenal

Superhoops
10/01/2005, 9:10 PM
what player, played in an fa cup final in the 70's, 80's, and 90's?
David O'Leary? Played 78, 79, 80 definite. Came on as sub in final and replay in 93?

Thomo
11/01/2005, 8:08 PM
david o leary is the correct answer.

Superhoops
11/01/2005, 10:01 PM
First player to win consecutive English FA Cups with different clubs?
Try Brian Talbot - Ipswich (1978) and Arsenal (1979)

mypost
12/01/2005, 1:41 AM
Cheated and checked it out on rsssf.com...Their last try in the Premier, two seasons before. High total because there were 42 games.

Crystal Palace were relegated from the Premier League in 1992/93, with 49 points. They returned two seasons later, only to suffer an immediate hangover, and lose 6-1 to Liverpool at home on the first day of the 94/95 season. They were relegated that season also, which was the last with 22 clubs.

When were Chelsea last relegated?

pineapple stu
12/01/2005, 12:47 PM
When were Chelsea last relegated?
Remember they won promotion (walked the Second Division) in 1989/90...not the question, but a guide anyway. Say 1985/86?

gspain
12/01/2005, 1:01 PM
Remember they won promotion (walked the Second Division) in 1989/90...not the question, but a guide anyway. Say 1985/86?

Chelsea went down in 1988 and came straight back up. They haven't been relegated since.

mypost
13/01/2005, 3:55 AM
Chelsea went down in 1988 and came straight back up. They haven't been relegated since.

True, Chelsea were relegated in the relegation/promotion play-off, in 1988, only to return to the top division the following year. The following December, they lost 5-2 at home to Liverpool, it was the last time they lost at home to Liverpool until last season.

The English Champions in 1990, and 1991, Liverpool, and Arsenal, played against the same team, and won by the same score, in the last league match of their championship winning seasons. Against who, and by what score?

Dick Long
13/01/2005, 7:15 AM
I think I remember Man Utd going to Highbury and losing 3-1 after their Cup Winners Cup win (which would have been the same season as the 'Battle of Old Trafford), so could it be that? - though I don't recall a 3-1 loss to Liverpool late in season 1990.

Bluebeard
13/01/2005, 12:12 PM
The English Champions in 1990, and 1991, Liverpool, and Arsenal, played against the same team, and won by the same score, in the last league match of their championship winning seasons. Against who, and by what score?

I think that it was Derby County, and for some reason I think that it was a fair walloping, perhaps 6-1. I seem to remember a few of us at school at the time (God be with the days now) elaborating that this would mean that Aston Villa were going to win the league, which, as you can imagine, had all but one of us rolling around in fits of laughter. :p

Pat O' Banton
13/01/2005, 12:29 PM
Right score wrong team, it was Coventry City, four of Arsenal's goal coming in the last twenty minutes.

$Leon$
13/01/2005, 12:41 PM
only team in england not to contain any letters from the word MACKEREL ders only one and its the FULL name

Dublin12
13/01/2005, 12:45 PM
Swindon Town

$Leon$
13/01/2005, 12:53 PM
very good now try this one.
theres only one club in both england and scotland with one particular letter in its name. name the club and letter.

pineapple stu
13/01/2005, 12:55 PM
There's only one club in both England and Scotland with one particular letter in its name. Name the club and letter.
Was wondering how on earth Dublin12 got that so quickly, but then I can tell you straight off the answer you're looking for is the "J" in St Johnstone, so maybe we're just both sad... :o :)

$Leon$
13/01/2005, 12:59 PM
ye obviously heard them before.
did that never strike u?

pineapple stu
13/01/2005, 1:02 PM
did that never strike you?
Well, yeah. After the one I knew the answer to!

Must come up with one meself soon...

pineapple stu
13/01/2005, 1:03 PM
Here's one. Bit out of date now, but I like it.

The only player at Euro 2000 who also scored for an eircom League team.

green army
13/01/2005, 3:10 PM
who is the youngest player to score in the premiership?
what argentinian international missed 3 penos in a copa america match in 2001?
what is the name of the only english team to play in the scottish league?
who has the most premiership assists?

Aldini98
13/01/2005, 3:26 PM

James Milner
Martin Palermo
Berwick Rangers
Dunno

Closed Account 2
13/01/2005, 3:27 PM

1. Milner
2. Martin Palermó
3. Berwick Rangers
4. Do you mean all time ? I'd guess Giggs.

Aldini98
13/01/2005, 3:33 PM
1. Milner
2. Martin Palermó
3. Berwick Rangers

damn that was close mate !!!!

Pat O' Banton
13/01/2005, 5:00 PM

What about the only Irish side to play in the Scottish League? :eek: :D Sorry I'll get me coat!

mypost
14/01/2005, 3:21 AM
Right score wrong team, it was Coventry City, four of Arsenal's goal coming in the last twenty minutes.

Pat got the team right, while Bluebeard got the score right. Coventry were the whipping boys for Liverpool and Arsenal in their last league games of seasons 1990 and 1991. Liverpool won 6-1 at Coventry, while Arsenal won 6-1 at home, a year later. Both teams had already won the league before the last game.

Who were the only team to beat Rovers in the league during our all-conquering 86/87 season?
In what city was the 1991 European Cup final held?

green army
14/01/2005, 8:00 AM
1. Milner
2. Martin Palermó
3. Berwick Rangers

all correct.

Aldini98
14/01/2005, 10:49 AM
Pat got the team right, while Bluebeard got the score right. Coventry were the whipping boys for Liverpool and Arsenal in their last league games of seasons 1990 and 1991. Liverpool won 6-1 at Coventry, while Arsenal won 6-1 at home, a year later. Both teams had already won the league before the last game.

Who were the only team to beat Rovers in the league during our all-conquering 86/87 season?

Dundalk????

Bari, Italy. Awful game from what I remember, Red Star with that Milosevic bástard just played for pens.

Junior
14/01/2005, 10:53 AM

was that not London (Wembley?) Think Koeman scored for Barca versus Sampdoria??

green army
14/01/2005, 11:38 AM
it was bari. barca won it in 92 in wembley.