PDA

View Full Version : SEtanta Cup winners to Recieve €150,000 in Prize Money

Pages : [1] 2

eoinh
05/01/2005, 8:45 PM
Also 10 of the 13 games will be shown live. See here (http://www.fai.ie/article.asp?hlid=248126&Title=Big+prize+for+Setanta+Cup+winner&lid=Eircom+League&sub=Big+prize+for+Setanta+Cup+winner&navlid=&sublid=)

Éanna
05/01/2005, 8:46 PM
probably worth playing a few first teamers so ;)

max power
05/01/2005, 8:47 PM
probably worth playing a few first teamers so ;)

and dolan might get the silver to avoid him being kicked out on his ear at the end of next season ;)

Martinho II
05/01/2005, 9:03 PM
roll on jan 27th sooo!!!! ;)

De Town
05/01/2005, 9:16 PM
Wouldnt mind that sort of money in our coffers :cool:

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 9:19 PM
Gate money should be good too, I think every club is guaranteed around €30,000 prize money, around €80k if you reach the final, I think, and with two home gates plus possibly final gate receipts it could be very lucrative. Roll on the 27th is right..

Risteard
05/01/2005, 10:36 PM
Do i need to pay through my teeth to get matches on Setanta?

exile
05/01/2005, 10:38 PM
Do i need to pay through my teeth to get matches on Setanta?

10 euro's a month should do it i think

A face
05/01/2005, 10:56 PM
Wouldnt mind that sort of money in our coffers :cool:

I dunno do you quite understand it all ... it means you'd have to best us to win it and *cough* ... i mean .... cant really see that happening .. !! :eek: :D

De Town
05/01/2005, 11:10 PM
I dunno do you quite understand it all ... it means you'd have to best us to win it and *cough* ... i mean .... cant really see that happening .. !! :eek: :D

You get drawn with Shels and Linfield :eek:

You wont get through that, we'll beat Glentoran and Portadown home and away and then we beat Shels or Linfield in the final.

Easy :o

A face
05/01/2005, 11:18 PM

Hold up there now fella .... Shels and Linfield ..... Not Juve and Real ..... more than able ... and Lford in the final .... sure c'mere like ..... that'll be a breeze !!

I just hope we dont start spending the money before we have it 100% confirmed, wouldn't want to get ahead of ourselves like !!

max power
05/01/2005, 11:43 PM

and as i remember yee lot have won cough all lately !! so who are you to talk ???

oh sorry a fair play award :rolleyes:

patsh
06/01/2005, 7:36 AM
and as i remember yee lot have won cough all lately !! so who are you to talk ???

oh sorry a fair play award :rolleyes:When it comes to you lot, we have no worries.
In the eight games against Longford over the last two seasons,
we have have won 6 and drawn 2, so
City: 20 points
Longford: 2 points
So we can easily discount you lot......:D

Ronnie
06/01/2005, 8:28 AM
Ah, but this is cup football, since we got promoted we've been in 5 out of 9 cup finals, exactly 5 more than Cork!

jimhacker
06/01/2005, 8:30 AM
I hear that the prize money is actually going to be paid in Sterling.

In used Northern Bank notes.

paudie
06/01/2005, 8:35 AM
You get drawn with Shels and Linfield :eek:

You wont get through that, we'll beat Glentoran and Portadown home and away and then we beat Shels or Linfield in the final.

i'd imagine that the 2 league champions (Shels & Linfield) will be kept apart in the draw.

patsh
06/01/2005, 9:39 AM
Ah, but this is cup football, since we got promoted we've been in 5 out of 9 cup finals, exactly 5 more than Cork!Your record in playing "foreign" teams in Cup competitions is more valid......;)

sullanefc
06/01/2005, 10:18 AM
I hear that the prize money is actually going to be paid in Sterling.

In used Northern Bank notes.

:D Quality :D

RedX
06/01/2005, 11:00 AM

oh sorry a fair play award :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.....another season of this jealous little girl lies ahead... :confused:

carrickharp
06/01/2005, 11:03 AM
Great prize money on offer there considering Shels got a whopping €18,000 for winning the league.

RedX
06/01/2005, 11:04 AM
This is great prize money and i think every team taking part has a decent chance...not sure about how we will get on against Northern teams until the matches are played...there will be big crowds for these and i am looking forward to these more than the U.E.F.A Cup games...

De Town
06/01/2005, 11:21 AM
Shels and Linfield

How many times did you beat Shels last season :confused:

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 12:19 PM
Games are being played on Mondays and Tuesdays apparently and are taking priority over League games in that if there's any kind of a clash it's the league game which will be changed. It'll be interesting to see how it goes crowds and viewing figures-wise

patsh
06/01/2005, 12:45 PM
Gmaes are being played on Mondays and Tuesdays Sh*t!....
Was looking forward to at least one weekend up North.....:(

GalwayFrancis
06/01/2005, 3:46 PM
we know when it starts and when it ends but when will the individual matches be played, or do we have to wait for the draw first.

boys who do u want in your teams' group??? :confused:

De Town
06/01/2005, 3:47 PM
boys who do u want in your teams' group??? :confused:

Glentoran and Portadown :ball:

GalwayFrancis
06/01/2005, 4:08 PM
Glentoran and Portadown :ball:

would the 'irish' league teams be ranked much lower than the el teams involved?

De Town
06/01/2005, 4:49 PM

Id say so. I picked those 2 because I think that would be the easiest draw we could get.

Slash/ED
06/01/2005, 7:23 PM
Ideally for the competitions sake imo the draw would be Shels, Cork and their cup winners in one group with their first and second placed team with Longford in another group. It gives the most chance of a North V South final, it'd be a bit of an anti climax really if the final was an all Southern affair imo, or even all Northern affair :eek:

From Shels point of view I'd like to avoid Cork really, they'll be better than any of the Northern teams and Longford I'd say.

conboy
06/01/2005, 9:54 PM
Are you approaching a mid life crisis or what Slashed? :cool:

crc
06/01/2005, 10:24 PM
why do you use apostrophies around the word 'irish'? They are quite entitled to use those terms. Let's not forget who broke away from whom.

[and before anyone shouts me down, I'm well aware of the problem southern football had in relation to the IFA prior to 1921; I'm just pointing out that the boys in Belfast wanted to keep an all-Ireland team and league]

On the draw, I'd really like to see Glentoran or especially Linfield in Cork. Portadown is less attractive (in more ways than one)!

Risteard
06/01/2005, 11:49 PM
I'm well aware of the problem southern football had in relation to the IFA prior to 1921!
I'm not.

Can ya just give me a brief history lesson post there please?
Seriously.
How did the old league dissolve?

Enda M
07/01/2005, 12:23 AM
This is great prize money and i think every team taking part has a decent chance...not sure about how we will get on against Northern teams until the matches are played...there will be big crowds for these and i am looking forward to these more than the U.E.F.A Cup games...

really a cork person even giving others a chance this a first :D :p

A face
07/01/2005, 12:30 AM
really a cork person even giving others a chance this a first :D :p

Savour it ... it happens few and far between !! :eek:

Slash/ED
07/01/2005, 12:46 AM
Savour it ... it happens few and far between !! :eek:

It's a bit like Cork winning the league :p

Pablo
07/01/2005, 12:48 AM
It's a bit like Cork winning the league :p

agreed. but thats gonna change this year jack

Slash/ED
07/01/2005, 12:53 AM
agreed. but thats gonna change this year jack

Of course it is, sure we've never heard that from Cork before :)

Pablo
07/01/2005, 12:57 AM
Of course it is, sure we've never heard that from Cork before :)

1 a natural progression ;)

paudie
07/01/2005, 8:29 AM
I'm not.

Can ya just give me a brief history lesson post there please?
Seriously.
How did the old league dissolve?

I'm open to correction but I think the 1921 Cup final was between either Shels or Bohs and a Belfast team. The first game ended in a draw and was played in Belfast.

The Dublin team wanted the replay held in Dublin but the IFA fixed it for Belfast due to the security situation at the time in the South. There was probably more to it than that but at the end the clubs broke away to form the FAI.

Curiously one of the first teams to win the FAI Cup were Alton Utd, who were from Belfast so the breakaway wasn't a completely Southern thing.

Risteard
07/01/2005, 8:41 AM
Cheers.
So they never finished that final?

There's a lack of history books out there on irish domestic football for young 'uns like me.
For instance i'm unawares as to how Derry came to be in the LOI.
They couldn't guarantee the security of away fans at the Branywell?
Sorry for going off-topic.

paudie
07/01/2005, 8:48 AM
Cheers.

There's a lack of history books out there on irish domestic football for young 'uns like me.

I've checked it up on www.rsssf.com and it was the 1920 Cup final and they have Shels as the winners saying the final was not played.

Maybe the details of my first post were incorrect :o

I'll leave it to Derry fans to expalin the story of their exit from the IL.

crc
07/01/2005, 10:25 AM
This is from the fai website (http://www.fai.ie/history.asp)

Although football was being played in Ireland since the 1860s, it was mainly based in Ulster and it was not until the 1880s that the game spread to other areas of the country.

The first club outside Ulster was Dublin Association Football Club which was formed in 1883. At the time, the Irish Football Association (IFA) was the governing body. Based in Belfast, it found it difficult to promote football throughout the country. This led to the formation of the Leinster Football Association in 1892 as the game became more popular in the area.

However, there was always a feeling among clubs from outside the Belfast area that the IFA favoured Ulster based, Protestant, clubs - especially when selecting sides for international matches. FAI formation Despite this, it was not until after the 1916 Rising and the rise of Nationalism that southern affiliates, such as the Leinster FA, took an aggressive approach in their dealings with the IFA. The clubs often threatened to break away, and in early 1921, Bohemians, St. James's Gate and Shelbourne all withdrew from the Irish League, though all three sides decided to remain involved in Cup competitions.

The matter reached crisis-point when later that year, the IFA reneged on a promise to play the IFA Cup final replay between Shelbourne and Glenavon in Dublin and scheduled the match for Belfast. Shelbourne refused to comply and forfeited the Cup. A meeting of southern associations and clubs was arranged and on June 1 1921, the Football Association of the Irish Free State (FAIFS) was formed in Molesworth Hall in Dublin.

A Free State League was hastily organised, with eight teams taking part. Originally all eight teams were from Dublin, but Athlone became the first provincial club to join the league the following season. St. James's Gate won the first title, and they were also winners of the first FAI Cup, then called the Free State Cup, in 1922.
================

the IFA fixed it for Belfast due to the security situation at the time in the South
how times have changed!

pete
07/01/2005, 11:10 AM
The Setanta Cup looks good because it looks liie Setanta as opposed to the FAI will be running it.

€150k is very good money when you also consider the revenue from extra games & greater exposure for sponsors. Unlike euro games travel will be minimal.

Setanta clearly know what they are doing as monday & tuesday are very good nights to schedule games & they are maximising the cross border element by starting with cross-border game. I think games may attract a lot of interest from neutrals drawn by whole cross border rivalry.

Risteard
07/01/2005, 11:16 AM
Best thing to ever happen to domestic soccer?

Yes

De Town
07/01/2005, 11:34 AM
Best thing to ever happen to domestic soccer?

Yes

Probably yes because we down south here get the chance to prove we are better than those up north :D

paudie
07/01/2005, 1:09 PM
Probably yes because we down south here get the chance to prove we are better than those up north :D

And vice versa

dcfcsteve
07/01/2005, 2:17 PM
Cheers.

Here's a medium-sized summary of why Derry ended-up joining the LOI in 1985. I've actually started writing a book about the history of Irish club football that I hope to have published when finished (won't be finished for some time yet though - research is proving difficult and very time-consuming :( ).

Derry City, as indeed all other primarily nationalist clubs in Northern Ireland (Belfast Celtic, Donegal Celtic and Cliftonville), had an at times uncomfortable relationship with the protestant-dominated IFA during their 64 years in the northern league.

At the height of the troubles in 1972 (the year of Bloody Sunday), the Ballymena United team bus was hijacked outside the Brandywell Stadium before a game, taken away and burnt out. This was a time when anything that moved got hijacked and burnt in parts of Derry. It was not, however, the height of the troubles in the city - which had been the 3yr period previously (primarily 1969, with 'The Battle of the Bogside' -the incident that actually sparked-off what turned into the Troubles).

The Ballymena bus was hijacked by local hoods who weren't attending the Derry City game. No away fans, players or staff were injured at the time. In fact, to the best of my knowledge no away fans of any team were ever attacked at any other time whilst attending a match at the Brandywell (compare that to Windsor...). A common myth (repeated again in the Christmas edition of WSC) is that Derry were banned from using the Brandywell because of crowd trouble. That is simply not the case, and never has been (again - compare to Windsor...).

Anyways - the IFA then decreed that the Brandywell was unsafe for opposing teams to visit. This was ironic, given that they hadn't deemed it unsafe at any time in the previous 3yrs of worse social strife in the area, and it was viewed instead as the IFA siezing an opportunity to make life difficult for a nationalist club. DCFC were therefore forced to play home games 40miles away in protestant Coleraine. That situation lasted for one season, by which time the financial strain of increased travel costs, rent of the Coleraine Showgrounds and dwindling home support became a serious burden. We therefore asked the IFA for permission to return to play games at the Brandywell for the start of the 1974/5 season.

1974 was the year of the Sunningdale Agreement, a new devolved power-sharing assembly for Northern Ireland, and much hope of a peaceful resolution to the province's problems. It was also the year of the Loyalist Worker's Strike that brought the 6 counties to a standstill, the British government to its knees and killed the Sunningdale Agreement off, ushering-in 20yrs of serious violence. The situation in Derry had calmed-down relatively by 1974 - unlike loyalist heartlands in Belfast, Portadown, Coleraine etc (grounds in those towns were never deemed a security risk). The RUC even declared in 1974 that in their view there was no risk in playing games at the Brandywell.

The IFA put the issue to a vote of all the Irish League clubs. In their wisdom, the clubs voted against by a majority of ONE. Key amongst the list of 'traitors' were our neighbours Coleraine, and Distillery - who themselves had been homeless so should've known better ! Ballymena Utd - the burning of who's team bus provided the initial excuse to ban us - even voted in favour of a return to the Brandywell. Suspicions again were raised that the religious affiliation of the majority of our fans had more to do with the decision that the actual safety of our ground.

With no prospect of a return to our home ground, DCFC's position in the league became financially untenable, and we were forced to withdraw. In summary - it wouldn't be too biased to claim that we were forced out of the Irish League because it was a protestant league run by Protestant clubs under the auspices of a Protestant football association.

Derry City didn't simply disappear, however. Over the intervening 11yrs the team continued to exist at Junior and Intermediate levels, and continuous attempts were made to rejoin the IL. Each request listed the Brandywell as our prospective home ground. Each request was refused by the IFA. A key player throughout these years of refusal was perennial IFA President Harry Cavan (who thankfully died recently), who appeared personally hell-bent in stopping Derry from ever returning to the Irish League.

With the door seemingly shut on Derry City ever returning to the Irish League, those within the town working to secure the return of senior football to the city instead looked south. Luckily, the FAI was looking to expand the league there into 2 divisions for the 1985/6 season, with an additional 6 new teams joining. Initially they had concerns about Derry's ability to organise and play games at the Brandywell. In 1984, in a bid to show to the FAI the level of thirst within Derry for a return of senior football, and the degree to which football could easily be played at the ground, the all-powerful Shamrock Rovers team of the time (under Derry man Jim McLaughlin) were invited to the city to play a friendly. A crowd of 4,000 locals turned-up to watch a team that didn't exist. The FAI was pleased with what it saw. The IFA said they had no objection to us playing in the southern league (they were probably glad to see the back of us), and UEFA gave us special dispensation to play under the jurisdiction of a different football association. Our appllication to join the League of Ireland was accepted, and in Sept 1985 a crowd of 10,000 turned out to watch Derry City beat Home Farm 3:1 in our first ever game back in senior football. The rest, as they say, is history.... ! :ball:

I'm off to lie down now..... :D

Risteard
07/01/2005, 2:28 PM
Brilliant thanks very much for that.
Is the general consensus around the Brandywell now so that they're happy?
There's never been another application to the IFA and everyones glad to be rid of the Irish League?
Did uefa drag it all out for a while?
Good luck with the writing!!

Macy
07/01/2005, 2:49 PM
Risteard, if you do a search, you should be able to find a thread (possible by DCFC Steve, can't remember) that gives even more detail than above. Well worth the effort if you haven't read it before.

gspain
07/01/2005, 3:35 PM
A few points here

1) Derry City left the Irish League in November 1972 not 1974.

2) Derry City were not a nationalist or "catholic" club in anyway. Indeed I believe they are the only football club to ever have segregated their own supporters. They had significant support in the protestant community in their Irish League days and always were a team of the city. Now the support is mainly RC however sunday football and playing in the LoI. Programmes in the IL days give the venue and the Brandywell Londonderry while I find the adverts in those amusing with roughly half using Derry and half Londonderry or even L'derry etc for the small ones.

3) The Irish League is not and was not a protestant league. I think there is a huge bias here. The sectarian tag could be labelled on one Irish League club for 38 years otherwise it really is remarkable how integrated football was given how divided the rest of society was in Northern Ireland. Of course there was and still is sectarianism on the terraces.

4) Cliftonville could never have been considered a nationalist or even a Catholic club while Derry were in the IL. The club is and has been non sectarian but up until the early 70's was very much the gentleman's amateur team with little support (probably mainly protestant) until demographics meant that the population living around Solitude were mainly nationalist and not unionist and nationalists started following the team i nthe 70's.

5) The IL clubs that voted against using the Brandywell (and Coleraine abstention if I recall correctly) were certainly disappointing and there was certainly a sense of betrayal felt by many.

6) Donegal Celtic were treated deplorably when they tried to enter senior football on this island. However I don't think the LoI were sectarian in their motives. My own club proposed them at a league AGM and indeed were the first (and I think the only) club from the RoI to play them in West Belfast. Shelbourne, Shamrock rovers et al have no problem playing regularly in West Belfast but only across the motorway at Windsor. They met quite hostile opposition from LoI clubs and didn't have a Fran Fields to push it through.