PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened some of our players from yesteryear?

Town Legend
22/01/2016, 2:02 PM
I seen a picture on the club website of the Town team that played Drogs in the cup in 1995. I remember most of those players. But I never knew who we signed them from or who they joined after they left us. Anyone out there who might help with this question.

Some of the players I remembered was, Stefan Buttner, Mark Girvan, Jim Grace, Shaun Elebert, Alan Weldrick and John Reid.

Another player from Kennys era was Alan Merriman. He played half a season and then went to OZ. Anyone know if he ever came home and played LOI again? I thought he was an excellent centre mid for us.

Martinho II
22/01/2016, 4:05 PM
I seen a picture on the club website of the Town team that played Drogs in the cup in 1995. I remember most of those players. But I never knew who we signed them from or who they joined after they left us. Anyone out there who might help with this question.

Some of the players I remembered was, Stefan Buttner, Mark Girvan, Jim Grace, Shaun Elebert, Alan Weldrick and John Reid.

Another player from Kennys era was Alan Merriman. He played half a season and then went to OZ. Anyone know if he ever came home and played LOI again? I thought he was an excellent centre mid for us.

I will get that answer for you Town Legend when I get home at the weekend as I have noted for each season I compiled for the website stats what clubs they came from and where they left for. So leave it with me!

As far as I know Alan Merriman never played for a league of ireland club again. I have no idea if hes back in Ireland.

I know with Alan Weldrick in 1990/91 season we got him on loan from Drogheda Utd and I have a feeling we got him from there!Mark Girvan I am sure played with Drogs as well!

Martinho II
23/01/2016, 8:01 PM
As requested Town Legend I have got the majority of the answers but a few are incomplete.. any that are incomplete that people can answer please let me know so I can update my own records!

here goes!

Stefan Buttner signed from Kilkenny City 94-95 he departed by the end of the season to who I dont know
Mark Girvan had two spells with us -He came to us on loan from drogheda utd in 91-92 and was made permanent in 92-93. He left for us at end of 93-94 season for Kilkenny City and returned to us at start of 95-96 from there but didnt last too long and went to Monaghan Utd.
Jim Grace joined us from Drogheda Utd at start of 94-95 season and I think he retired at the end of that season as I have no record of what club he left for!
Shaun Elebert signed from Shamrock Rovers in 94-95 season and was gone at the end of that season. To Whom I am not sure.
Alan Weldrick originally came to us on loan from St Pats Ath in 90-91 season and was gone by season end. He then came back to us from Kilkenny City at start of 94-95 season and was gone at season end to whom I am not certain.
John Reid joined us from St Pats Ath at start of 93-94 season and departed from us at end of 95-96 season for Drogheda Utd.

Town Legend
23/01/2016, 8:31 PM
Cheers for the info Marty!

Charlie Darwin
23/01/2016, 9:54 PM
Shaun Elebert dropped out of football and became an actor. Works for the PFAI now. His nephew David signed for Rovers under Croly and was useless. Signed for Derry under Roddy and I assume didn't get any less useless.

Longfordian
23/01/2016, 9:59 PM
Was he the lad who was training with the Ireland squad or something?

Charlie Darwin
23/01/2016, 10:05 PM
Was he the lad who was training with the Ireland squad or something?
He was indeed. Dundalk sent some of their best players to learn from the experience. Rovers sent the player who wouldn't be missed at training.

Town Legend
24/01/2016, 8:46 AM
Off topic of players from the past but this morning for some reason the great Paddy Clabby Cup sprang into my mind. I was very young when those games were played in Abbey. Why did it ever finish? Was it insurance costs? As far as I remember it was hugely popular. The fact that LOI is now played during the summer I can't see it ever coming back but wouldn't it be great to see if it was made a go of again. I seem to remember the Lyons Den and The Stillery were the two big teams during that era.

outspoken
24/01/2016, 10:44 AM
Off topic of players from the past but this morning for some reason the great Paddy Clabby Cup sprang into my mind. I was very young when those games were played in Abbey. Why did it ever finish? Was it insurance costs? As far as I remember it was hugely popular. The fact that LOI is now played during the summer I can't see it ever coming back but wouldn't it be great to see if it was made a go of again. I seem to remember the Lyons Den and The Stillery were the two big teams during that era.

For us only out of nappies, what was this?

Town Legend
24/01/2016, 3:05 PM
It was an 11 a side comp played over a month (if correct) in the summer down in Abbey. I think it was groups and then onto knock out. Basically anyone could enter a team, The Stillery and Lyons Den or All Blacks as they are known were the two big teams. You had teams containing Town players like the Devlin bros and Zac Hackett playing against teams containing the likes of you and me!! But it really was a thing that got great support. Quinnsworth had a team before they became Tesco! There was rumours at the time that some players like Zac and the Devlins were paid to play for certain teams. But as a kid at the time who only got to one or two games it seemed like a great competition. There was 4 games each evening, 2 on the top and 2 on bottom pitches. I could be wrong in saying it wasn't the full 90 mins aside.

But I'll end this by saying, bring the Paddy Clabby Cup back so I can live the dream and play in it!

Martinho II
24/01/2016, 8:20 PM
Me,Pauro and Sorbo played in it years ago for a team called FC Slack which was twenty years ago or so! It was 90 mins long and it was so big at one stage there were teams from other counties ie Athlone! It stopped when Stephen Kenny left and resurrected for a year or two ten years ago! I dont know why it was stopped ten years ago but I do think that it was stopped originally cos of insurance I think.

For those not in the know,Paddy Clabby was one of the LTFC greats. He was town PRO for fourty years up to his death in the mid seventies. He was Mr Longford town in his day..

outspoken
24/01/2016, 9:42 PM
It was an 11 a side comp played over a month (if correct) in the summer down in Abbey. I think it was groups and then onto knock out. Basically anyone could enter a team, The Stillery and Lyons Den or All Blacks as they are known were the two big teams. You had teams containing Town players like the Devlin bros and Zac Hackett playing against teams containing the likes of you and me!! But it really was a thing that got great support. Quinnsworth had a team before they became Tesco! There was rumours at the time that some players like Zac and the Devlins were paid to play for certain teams. But as a kid at the time who only got to one or two games it seemed like a great competition. There was 4 games each evening, 2 on the top and 2 on bottom pitches. I could be wrong in saying it wasn't the full 90 mins aside.

But I'll end this by saying, bring the Paddy Clabby Cup back so I can live the dream and play in it!

Ah cheers for that man, sounds fantastic. I heard one of our former players who goes to all the games talking about the all blacks before. Must ask him about this. Would be amazing to see it brought back but then again you wouldn't have town players involved, those days are gone.

atfconline
27/01/2016, 12:38 PM
Found this pic in an old programme this morning...

Martinho II
27/01/2016, 10:12 PM
the majority of that team would have played for Longford Town at senior level at some stage except for one or two players..

Macy
28/01/2016, 2:15 PM
It stopped when Stephen Kenny left and resurrected for a year or two ten years ago! I dont know why it was stopped ten years ago but I do think that it was stopped originally cos of insurance I think.
I'm obviously open to correction from our stats master, but I think it was gone before Kenny left. Pretty sure there was talk of entering a team early on after I moved, and it was the lack of the competition rather than the usual lack of follow through as to why it never happened? Could well have been the latter as well of course!

Martinho II
28/01/2016, 9:35 PM
I'm obviously open to correction from our stats master, but I think it was gone before Kenny left. Pretty sure there was talk of entering a team early on after I moved, and it was the lack of the competition rather than the usual lack of follow through as to why it never happened? Could well have been the latter as well of course!

in hindsight I think there was a gap of around eight years since the running of the competitions so I will give you the benefit of doubt this time Macy! old age must be catching up on me!! I know the competition came back in 2006 so 1998 does seem to be have being the last year of regular competition- I am sure that I read somewhere in my research that Stephen Kenny scouted for players in the 1998 Paddy Clabby Cup!