PDA

View Full Version : clip of Longford Town 5-1 Derry City match from January 1986.

Martinho II
16/01/2016, 11:16 PM
https://thejungleview.wordpress.com/2016/01/09/on-this-day-30-years-ago/#more-22576

just thought I would share this info with ye.

Thanks to one of the Derry City lads who sent me the link it is the first time I have ever seen this clip from 1986!

enjoy!!

nigel-harps1954
17/01/2016, 12:47 AM
Great shots there. Mad to think that was once a League of Ireland ground.

pineapple stu
18/01/2016, 10:43 AM
That's a gem of a find!

Very similar ground to St Mel's actually - the small stand in one corner of the ground and the bit of a roof over the right-hand side.

Town Legend
18/01/2016, 12:35 PM
I just had a second look at the video and thought I was seeing things at first and watched back again. Did anyone else notice when Derry made their substitutions a lady lifting a toddler in front of the dugout?? Could you imagine this happening today? The fourth official would have fit altogether!!

sparkey
18/01/2016, 1:53 PM
The ground was that full that day that supporters were allowed to sit in any spare space available. I was asked to sit in the press box by one of the stewards because I was slightly squashed between two adults up against the wooden railing. Ended up having a great view sitting beside local reporter Joe Donlon (RIP). I was eleven at the time.

outspoken
18/01/2016, 3:09 PM
You can even see people on top of the shed. Brilliant footage, looked so enjoyable.

sparkey
18/01/2016, 3:23 PM
Yeah there was a fair few supporters on top of the galvanised roofs. Until one of the support timbers broke. You can see it in the video. Also on that side of the ground we got a throw in and a Derry Supporter jumped over the fence and hit the Longford player taking the throw in. It was a really great atmosphere. The Derry Supporters had a Massive White banner with the Word ATTACK written on it in capital red letters. Which they positioned behind the town goal in each half. It was some sight for a kid watching them carrying the banner down to the other end (the mall end) at half time. Also remember walking up the Battery Road to the game and being amazed at the amount of Swilly Travel Coaches lined from St Johns School all the way to Abbeycarton Lane.