PDA

View Full Version : God Save the Queen may be ditched

Metrostars
04/01/2016, 3:46 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0104/757610-god-save-the-queen-may-go-ahead-of-euro-2016/

Northern Ireland may be "duty bound" to ditch their controversial God Save the Queen anthem ahead of the Euro 2016 finals as a consequence of an English National Anthem Bill, which is set to be brought before the UK Parliament at Westminster on 13 January.
The bill is being proposed by Chesterfield MP Toby Perkins and is intended to question whether England should continue to use the anthem of the United Kingdom for their football team.
“I think it would be very difficult for us to continue using ‘God Save the Queen’ if the English decide they want a new anthem.” - IFA President
The MP wants an English-specific anthem for the footballers, saying: "I have nothing against God Save the Queen but that is the national anthem of the United Kingdom.
"England is a component part of the UK but it competes as a country in its own right and I think a song that celebrated England rather than Britain would be more appropriate."
And should the bill be passed and England adopt a new anthem, Northern Ireland officials have admitted that they would most likely have to change their stance on using the anthem for future internationals.

Might be in NI's best interests to move away from GSTQ anyway. Also, when England and NI play each other now, do they play GSTQ once or twice?

NeverFeltBetter
04/01/2016, 4:42 PM
This has come up before hasn't it? I vaguely recall there being a similar political debate before some Rugby World Cup.

What would the alternatives be? "Londonderry Air" and "Land of Hope and Glory"?

BonnieShels
06/01/2016, 12:03 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2016/0104/757610-god-save-the-queen-may-go-ahead-of-euro-2016/

Might be in NI's best interests to move away from GSTQ anyway. Also, when England and NI play each other now, do they play GSTQ once or twice?

Once.

It happened in 2005 when they played each other twice. I always recall the opening line from the Sky News report after the game where the IFA team beat England in Belfast by a David Healy goal to nil, "Two teams, one anthem..."; as the camera panned over both teams singing the dirge.