PDA

View Full Version : Shels in Europe vs Cork City in Europe

harry crumb
30/12/2004, 11:57 PM
Reading the end of year reviews in the papers it seems that the only soccer team in Ireland to do anything in Europe this year were Shels.

Did Cork City not win 3, draw 2 and lose 1. Shels won 1, drew 4, lost 3.

You wouldnt have known Cork were in Europe from reading the papers. Its all Shels this, Shels that.

Dublin, Dublin, Dublin...thats all they care about. Emmet Malone wasn't even in Turners Cross this year.

Next Year. We'll show 'em. :mad:

Slash/ED
31/12/2004, 12:09 AM
It was because it was champions league V inter toto and we nearly qualified for the CL, something never done before. Of course, you can choose to believe your pathetic little everyone hates Cork and is biased towards all things Dublin whaffle instead if you like :)

harry crumb
31/12/2004, 12:20 AM
Well done on that draw with that team from Iceland.

I just want Cork City to get a few hugs sometimes. Its good for the owl ego.

max power
31/12/2004, 1:51 AM
. Its good for the owl ego.

as if yee need any encouragement down in egoland :D

CuanaD
31/12/2004, 10:41 AM
Harry is right tho': Shels did great in europe, Cork did great in europe.
Shels beat Icelanders & Split
Cork beat Dutch & Malmo
Both lost to top French teams

I know the CL is a far bigger competition, but you can only beat the teams you are given to play - so both teams deserve similar praise IMO, & Shel$ got FAr more than Cork.

On the other hand, i'd expect the Two of them to be well supported by the media in europe this year as they will both be expected to win their first matches & win well! IF Cork dont get their home games shown live but Shels do - well then they would surely be right to complain of bias.

Longford & Bohs wont be expected to go far but you never know. . . :ball:

navan bohs man
31/12/2004, 12:20 PM
"both lost to top french teams"

well if ya want to call a team who are 4th from bottom in their league a "top team"

Éanna
31/12/2004, 12:39 PM
well if ya want to call a team who are 4th from bottom in their league a "top team"
yeah. that would be nearly as ridiculous as calling Bohs a big club :D

De Town
31/12/2004, 1:05 PM
we nearly qualified for the CL

In fairness, you got beaten 3-0 by a Depor team who are not exactly playing to their full potential this season. It could have been more than 3-0 too and they were not even trying at some stages.

Slash/ED
31/12/2004, 5:11 PM
In fairness, you got beaten 3-0 by a Depor team who are not exactly playing to their full potential this season. It could have been more than 3-0 too and they were not even trying at some stages.

They may not be at their best but their still one of the top sides in Europe and a bloody la liga side! It wasn't we were expected to win and we still kept them scoreless for a long time and had chances to win it. I doubt they were not trying, given if they lost their season was ruined and the financial backlash would have been huge.

thejollyrodger
31/12/2004, 6:32 PM
Deportivo are in the TOP league in Europe and Lille are still currently second so those results were actually very good:D .

Partizan
31/12/2004, 7:02 PM
well at least you werent beaten by a team from one of the last bastions of autocratic monarchial dictatorship in Europe, i.e. Liechtenstein.

Then again Alan Matthews can claim the Divine Right of kings and say to his subjects "those mighty Liechtensteiners (sounds like a German beer brand :D ) were mighty butchers, bakers candlestickmakers who stood ten feet tall, eight of them played for their country that lost only 0-4 to Austria, two of them play in the top echolons of European football that is in Switzerland and how next year we will commit ourselves admirably before bowing out to those gentlemen from Kazakhstan who shephard sheep like no other"

and how every knee shall bow.

De Town
31/12/2004, 7:24 PM
well at least you werent beaten by a team from one of the last bastions of autocratic monarchial dictatorship in Europe, i.e. Liechtenstein.

When was the last time Waterford were in Europe for 2 seasons in a row :confused:

Then again, when was the last time Waterford were in Europe at all :confused:

Maz
01/01/2005, 6:32 AM

Then again Alan Matthews can claim the Divine Right of kings and say to his subjects "those mighty Liechtensteiners (sounds like a German beer brand :D ) were mighty butchers, bakers candlestickmakers who stood ten feet tall, eight of them played for their country that lost only 0-4 to Austria, two of them play in the top echolons of European football that is in Switzerland and how next year we will commit ourselves admirably before bowing out to those gentlemen from Kazakhstan who shephard sheep like no other"

and how every knee shall bow.

yeap they are still bitter in waterford!

Partizan
01/01/2005, 1:32 PM
ah lads come on, only telling the truth like. :D

Happy New Year all.

Pablo
01/01/2005, 5:42 PM
There is a large bias in the media towards the Dublin teams. Nobody can dispute that. National papers seem to think they are totally aimed at the Dublin market, they forget that there is twice as many people living outside Dublin as there is living in it.

Still, most papers are essentially Brittish anyway. Just like most Dubs.

mypost
05/01/2005, 2:14 AM
When was the last time Waterford were in Europe for 2 seasons in a row :confused:

That's still no excuse for losing not 1, but 2 European games to a team from a country who never won before in Europe, play in the Swiss second division, and who were beaten in the next round home and away by Beveren of Belgium. In fact it's not an excuse, it's a disgrace.

As for Cork, it's all very well for Dolan to proclaim that his team reached the "quarter-finals" of a European competition. No they didn't, they reached the 3rd round of a pre-qualifying competition for the Uefa Cup, only one more round than we managed the previous season, and which is the first round for many of the other teams. Nantes went out of the Intertoto in the next round on away goals, to Rovers' old friends, Slovan Liberec.

Partizan
05/01/2005, 8:40 AM
sobering thoughts for our Ca'wkie and Bogford friends. The loss to Vaduz was a disgrace as well as an embarassment to us all of which there can be no excuses.

Ca'wk as you said reached the 3rd qualifying round of a pre-qualifying tournament and caught the likes of Malmo and NEC during their off season. Impressive run as it was, it did nothing for our coefficient, so hopefully Fat and the lads can get a good run going in the UEFA Cup. With all the money at Dolan's disposal, he want to show something for it and not the usual foray into the Munster Eggholding Cup.

REply to our Bogger friends:

We have actually won European games and whats more we have progressed past the qualifying rounds anytime and acquited ourselves quite well while we were in Europe.

Just dont lose to the likes of Vaduz again, I got slagging off the bar-stoolers over that one.

tiktok
05/01/2005, 8:50 AM
Ca'wk as you said reached the 3rd qualifying round of a pre-qualifying tournament and caught the likes of Malmo and NEC during their off season. Impressive run as it was, it did nothing for our coefficient, so hopefully Fat and the lads can get a good run going in the UEFA Cup.

It was the third round proper.
Malmo play summer football too and were halfway through their league (which they ended up winning). Get the old facts straight befire you slag because it only leaves the rest of your post too easily dismissed.

You're right though, in the long run it didn't contribute to the UEFA coefficient and it was only worth a relatively small amount of cash to the club. Hopefully the run can be repeated in the UEFA next year.

eoinh
05/01/2005, 9:56 AM
Reading the end of year reviews in the papers it seems that the only soccer team in Ireland to do anything in Europe this year were Shels.

Did Cork City not win 3, draw 2 and lose 1. Shels won 1, drew 4, lost 3.

You wouldnt have known Cork were in Europe from reading the papers. Its all Shels this, Shels that.

Dublin, Dublin, Dublin...thats all they care about. Emmet Malone wasn't even in Turners Cross this year.

Next Year. We'll show 'em. :mad:

The Irish Times send one reporter to our matchs this season. one!.

That was the last game of the season when we could have won the league. What was more the reporter then said that the place was close to rioting! I actually wrote a letter to complain but they never published it (I should have mentioned rugby or hockey, I suppose).

patsh
05/01/2005, 10:04 AM
Get the old facts straight befire you slag because it only leaves the rest of your post too easily dismissed.Any posts that continually contain such stupid crap as "Caw'kie" and "Fat", and continued ignorant obsession with Cork City's finances are ALWAYS easily dismissed.

eoinh
05/01/2005, 10:52 AM
He cant help typing ****. Thats the way they speak round here!

And as for not knowing about Malmo, thats no surprise either. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa terford people dont tend to know much about the outside world.

Signed: Eoin, A Waterford resident

Partizan
05/01/2005, 11:38 AM
He cant help typing ****. Thats the way they speak round here!

And as for not knowing about Malmo, thats no surprise either. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa terford people dont tend to know much about the outside world.

Signed: Eoin, A Waterford resident

blah!, blah!, fcuking blah.

I heard it all, sheepshaggers, Ratnolds, part time village team, Waaaahhherfurd, annual relegation battle, making shapes, the posturing, etc. and anytime I engage in a bit of slagging ye boys run for the nearest moral high ground and cry foul.

God Almighty, has there anything ever written that hasnt outraged you lot.

Get over it ladies. :rolleyes:

Partizan
05/01/2005, 11:53 AM
sheepshaggers is true. part time village team is true. reynolds is a rat. annual relegation battle isnt far off the mark. please expalin what the **** making shapes and the posturing are supposed to mean you ignorant waterford idiot.

:rolleyes:

Colm
05/01/2005, 11:57 AM
With all the money at Dolan's disposal

What money is that Partizan??

eoinh
05/01/2005, 11:58 AM
I knew I was a lady and not just a woman.

Herself will be surprised when she comes home tonight, comrade Zhihkov

Éanna
05/01/2005, 1:45 PM
What money is that Partizan??
no point asking him. he always makes allegations about city having billions at our disposal, yet he seems to be the only one who knows anything about it

conboy
05/01/2005, 4:53 PM
Partizan you are a sheep dip pilot of the highest rank. Malmö were in mid- season when they met CCFC. They went on to win the Swedish League and had five Swedish senior capped players playing in Malmö against City when we beat them Patrik Andersson, Matias Asper, Niklas Skoog, Daniel Majostorovich and Tobias Grahn. The All Svenskan begins in the first week of April and ends at the end of October. It is in fact the model adopted wisely enough for once in their lives by the´Eircom League i.e. the competition where the other teams play football or try, and your players kick them because they've been told to do so by a knucklehead masquerading as a football manager. Now have you any more illusions in your head masquerading as facts? :cool:

James
05/01/2005, 6:56 PM

didnt they play derry last season
badddum dum

*i'll get my coat*

De Town
05/01/2005, 7:04 PM
didnt they play derry last season
badddum dum

*i'll get my coat*

Dont get your coat James, that was quality :o

Martinho II
05/01/2005, 9:09 PM
sobering thoughts for our Ca'wkie and Bogford friends. The loss to Vaduz was a disgrace as well as an embarassment to us all of which there can be no excuses.

Ca'wk as you said reached the 3rd qualifying round of a pre-qualifying tournament and caught the likes of Malmo and NEC during their off season. Impressive run as it was, it did nothing for our coefficient, so hopefully Fat and the lads can get a good run going in the UEFA Cup. With all the money at Dolan's disposal, he want to show something for it and not the usual foray into the Munster Eggholding Cup.

REply to our Bogger friends:

We have actually won European games and whats more we have progressed past the qualifying rounds anytime and acquited ourselves quite well while we were in Europe.

Just dont lose to the likes of Vaduz again, I got slagging off the bar-stoolers over that one.

partizan i know the result was a disgrace and all that butboth teams when they were playine each other had never won an european game at all! so strictlyspeaking we did not disgrace ourselves at all vaduz are a fully professional outfit we are not! end of story! :eek:

mypost
06/01/2005, 3:23 AM
strictlyspeaking we did not disgrace ourselves at all vaduz are a fully professional outfit we are not! end of story! :eek:

If you are not a fully professional outfit, what are you? A club of journeymen players near the end of their careers?

Let me remind you who you played against. You were the cup winners in your own country, in season, against a group of part-timers, out-of-season who play in the second division of a foreign league! They can't be Brazil. In European club comps, every club wants to be drawn against Vaduz, as they are UEFA-speak for "easy draw". However you like to dress it up, you have no excuses for losing to Vaduz twice. Results like that drag our league's name deeper into the gutter. :( Thankfully, Shels, and Cork's European results largely covered up your disaster against Vaduz. :)

Despite the fact that Rovers didn't play in Europe last season, our team is the same set-up as yours, i.e. semi-professional, We struggle to field a team, are financially sunk, yet we still managed to beat the then 5th-best team in Poland twice in Europe, and would probably beat Vaduz like most other clubs, in our sleep. That's the comparison.

De Town
06/01/2005, 11:01 AM
If you are not a fully professional outfit, what are you? A club of journeymen players near the end of their careers?

Let me remind you who you played against. You were the cup winners in your own country, in season, against a group of part-timers, out-of-season who play in the second division of a foreign league! They can't be Brazil. In European club comps, every club wants to be drawn against Vaduz, as they are UEFA-speak for "easy draw". However you like to dress it up, you have no excuses for losing to Vaduz twice. Results like that drag our league's name deeper into the gutter. :( Thankfully, Shels, and Cork's European results largely covered up your disaster against Vaduz. :)

Despite the fact that Rovers didn't play in Europe last season, our team is the same set-up as yours, i.e. semi-professional, We struggle to field a team, are financially sunk, yet we still managed to beat the then 5th-best team in Poland twice in Europe, and would probably beat Vaduz like most other clubs, in our sleep. That's the comparison.

Were you at either of the matches? I highly doubt it and if you had gone to 1 of them, you would have seen that Vaduz could actually play a bit. Rovers beat them in their slepp :rolleyes: Rovers wouldnt win an arguement at the moment ;) Just because they had never won a match in Europe before, doesnt mean they are a bad team.

Remember a few months ago, Liechtenstein drew 2-2 with the 2nd best team in Europe, Portugal. 6 or 7 of the Vaduz team were in that Liechtenstein team. There not as bad as you think :mad:

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 11:05 AM
I really dont want to start this again but Vaduz were a fully full time outfit with players from 11 different countries, a budget of €2.5m, without question a better side than Shamrock Rovers. It was a bad result for us but get over it, see if we don't improve next time out

eoinh
06/01/2005, 5:35 PM
If you lot are trying to make excuses at least get you're stories somewhat similar.. While DE Town says that all the Vaduz team are Liechtenstein internationals (OH, Wow)

Remember a few months ago, Liechtenstein drew 2-2 with the 2nd best team in Europe, Portugal. 6 or 7 of the Vaduz team were in that Liechtenstein team. There not as bad as you think :mad:

we get a different story from another longford supporter

really dont want to start this again but Vaduz were a fully full time outfit with players from 11 different countries

Are they the greatest collection of players available from vaduz the teeming metroplois or are they the greatest collection of imports ever seen in Vadz bus station?

Who knows, you decide!

De Town
06/01/2005, 5:40 PM
If you lot are trying to make excuses at least get you're stories somewhat similar.. While DE Town says that all the Vaduz team are Liechtenstein internationals (OH, Wow)
we get a different story from another longford supporter
Are they the greatest collection of players available from vaduz the teeming metroplois or are they the greatest collection of imports ever seen in Vadz bus station?
Who knows, you decide!

I never said that the whole Vaduz team were internationals. Read my last post, it says 6 or 7 of the Vaduz team played against Portugal.

What Longfordian is saying is that there was 11 different nationalities in the Vaduz Squad.

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 6:34 PM
It's quite simple if you take your time :rolleyes: ..I said im not getting into this again and im not, so end of subject as far as im concerned.

Slash/ED
06/01/2005, 6:58 PM
Their European record speaks for itself more than some one off result between two international sides. It was a poor result but in fairness, there's probably been worse in the league (Hibs of Bleedin' Malta, how are ya) and some people have over reacted somewhat but there's no way Longford should be trying to justify the defeat, it was the dream draw, their record in Europe shows that, and you'll more than likely face a better team this time around.

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 7:07 PM
Okay last comment, I promise :) ..I felt they had the European experience we didn't have, they were technically very good, alot of their players had played international football and (relatively) not disgraced themselves, I wouldn't call losing 2-0 and 3-0 to England (6 or 7 players involved were from Vaduz) disgracing themselves so is it not slightly understandable that they could, on their day be a decent enough team,certainly one good enough to compete at EL level? If we'd lost to Shamrock Rovers, just an example, would it be that much of a shock? We were in poor from going into it and hopefully we can do better this year, we're likely to be seded again this year and they were the toughest unseeded team we could have met, rankings wise, why aren't Bohs getting half as much stick, considering they were full timers? Anyhow as promised before that's all I've got left to say on the matter..

De Town
06/01/2005, 7:09 PM
Well said Longfordian :)

They were not as bad as some of ye think.

Thats all I have to say :)

Slash/ED
06/01/2005, 7:13 PM
why aren't Bohs getting half as much stick,

Because no Bohs fan denies it was a horrible result. I think the main reason behind the arguments here is the Longford fans trying to claim it wasn't a bad result. It was, maybe not as bad as made out but it was bad. International results show nothing in all fairness, there's so many freak results there and the Portugal game was one of them.

A face
06/01/2005, 7:17 PM
Because no Bohs fan denies it was a horrible result.

Where did Kenny end up after it ?? tells its own story !!

Longfordian
06/01/2005, 7:22 PM
Thank you..not as bad as it was made out to be is exactly my point. I never said it wasn't bad..damn it I've replied again

conboy
06/01/2005, 9:52 PM
Wheres the big gob Partizan? Did the reference books slide away form your hands? Fair play to Longford for last season domestically but the Vaduz thing did'nt do any of us any good. Still one of the hardest working football clubs in Ireland and a big respect to ye for it. :ball:

mypost
07/01/2005, 5:25 AM
I really dont want to start this again but Vaduz were a fully full time outfit with players from 11 different countries, a budget of €2.5m, without question a better side than Shamrock Rovers.

Looks like you have been dragged into it again... :D

For every Rovers, Shels, and Cork result in Europe, there's always a Longford. Their disaster in Europe this season was one of the worst ever (and there have been many) results of a NL team in European history. Probably down there with '99 NL Champions Pats' 10-0 mauling by the famous, glamourous, European giants, that are Zimbru Chisinau of Moldova!!!

Not that long ago, you played Litex Lovech in Europe. You never played in Europe before, but you held them for a long time, before 2 late goals in Bulgaria meant that they won 3-1 overall. If you could cope with a Bulgarian team, then you should have comfortably dealt with Vaduz, whether they had international players or not.

Vaduz better than Rovers? Who's won more European games?? Why?

Vaduz are in Europe every season, yet their record is filled with lost, lost, lost.... then Longford. So what if they have 6 internationals, they can't be great if they're playing in the Swiss second division, can they??? On the other hand, you're cup winners playing in the Premier Division of your own country, in season, match fit, dream draw, and you still can't them. Did Vaduz play like European greats, or did Longford make them look good? I suspect the latter. If Vaduz are so good, how come everybody else beats them in Europe?

The Sheliban
11/01/2005, 6:01 AM
I'm very wary of slagging anybody off in Europe. With the set-up in the Eircom League, its a wonder anybody wins a game.
It seems to be a common thing for people to judge European sides by the standard of their international team, which isn't necessarily so. Derry got walloped by Cypriots, who, in actuality, were quite a technically decent side. Icelanders regularly win European games, yet we dismiss them all too easily.
A lot of European football is down to experience, which is why some of these teams from smaller nations can sometimes pull off the odd shock - they're in Europe every year.

eoinh
11/01/2005, 9:02 AM
The best way of deciding is by looking at their previous record and Vaduz have never done anything in Europe.

In reality only shels' loss to Hibernians was worse. Having seen them on TV they were a truely awful side. If you are lucky enough to get a good draw you have to take advantage of it.

Troy.McClure
11/01/2005, 4:09 PM
No, Pats 10 loss to the refugees was the worst ever. Id still be slagging them if we didnt take their manager! :eek:

mypost
12/01/2005, 3:06 AM
It seems to be a common thing for people to judge European sides by the standard of their international team, which isn't necessarily so.

No, people judge teams from other countries based on what they know, or in most cases, don't know about the opposition. The Brits do it all the time. If they have one of their teams in Europe, up against someone who they don't know much about, then they think their team will automatically win. Often that doesn't happen. Also, if teams from Iceland, and Cyprus can compete in Europe, and we can't, it's shame on us.

I would excuse Shels' result against Hibernians, as the winning goal was scored in the last minute. Yes, Shels should have won, but last minute goals against the run of play do happen from time to time.