PDA

View Full Version : Andy O Brien

macdermesser
30/12/2004, 2:09 PM
He's not in the team at the moment at James Park .. and wasn't even a sub last night. I know he had an injury .. but it seems that Souness doesn't rate him. He has come on a long way recently in the green jersery ... but I wonder how will this affect us if he doesn't get back into the team soon. I don't understand it .. its not as if Newcastle are spoilt for centre backs at the moment. If he does go, hopefully it would be to someone like Birmingham .. and would continue to get the experience of playing in the premiership

livehead1
30/12/2004, 3:04 PM
birmingham me arse! how the feck does that help us....upson is on a different planet to o'brien and their other centre back is our and their captain kenny cunningham....what do you suggest?!?!?

try southampton

drinkfeckarse
30/12/2004, 3:23 PM
He's maybe still injured because he's played quite a few games under Souness and a blind man could see that he's twice the player Titus Shambles is......still I suppose this IS Souness we're talking about.

Too early to talk about him moving, anyway Souness could be gone before him if results keep up.

Éanna
30/12/2004, 3:34 PM
according to todays sun (which means it must be true ;) ) David O'Leary is interested in bringing him to Aston Villa

Adrianovic
30/12/2004, 5:09 PM
I'd quite happily like to see O`Brien at Villa, they're a good club with a good manager and Souness is nowhere near them.

Souness doesn't think too much of Seamus either, I'm hearing he wants Freidel in?

Ade

sligoman
30/12/2004, 5:48 PM
News of Newcastle United’s purchase of Nigerian international Celestine Babayaro must be a worry to Irish internationals Steven Carr and Andy O’ Brien.

The versatile defender signed today by Geordie boss Graham Souness goes straight into the squad to face West Brom on Monday. The Nigerian can play in both of the full back positions and has also played at centre back for his country.

Further signings are expected with both Sylvain Distin and Alan Boumsong strongly linked. Souness has targeted defence as his main area of concern and O’ Brien must be feeling the pinch following his failure to make the first 16 against Arsenal.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15319

dr_peepee
30/12/2004, 7:20 PM
Nah... Babayaro was signed as cover for Bernard who's going to leggit in the summer, possibly even before hand. Even if he could do a job at centre half he's not the centre half they need at the minute. They need a leader at the back. Someone with experience to organise the line and take control. Like say Cunningham or Southgate (Not that they'd get either of them).

Livehead is giving too much credit to Upson in that earlier post. He wouldn't have half the reputation if he wasn't playing beside Cunningham. They compliment each other.

I wonder could O'Brien possibly be the player roumered to be involved in a transfer to Rangers? Maybe as part of the swap deal for Boumsong

livehead1
30/12/2004, 7:25 PM
Livehead is giving too much credit to Upson in that earlier post. He wouldn't have half the reputation if he wasn't playing beside Cunningham. They compliment each other.

sorry it isnt cos i think upsons amazing, just i think o'briens awful!lol

eirebhoy
01/01/2005, 10:32 AM
Souness doesn't think too much of Seamus either, I'm hearing he wants Freidel in?
HAHA, i've heard it all now. :D

sorry it isnt cos i think upsons amazing, just i think o'briens awful!lol
Swap partners and see how they get on. :)

Eirambler
01/01/2005, 2:03 PM
Boumsong's deal has gone through. That makes O'Brien at best 4th choice centre back behind Boumsong, Taylor and Bramble (even though he's obviously better than Bramble). And theyre still being linked to Distin.

Time for him to go.

eirebhoy
01/01/2005, 4:06 PM
Eirambler, The Newcastle team is so unsettled that there is no 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice centre half. O'Brien is playing shíte at the minute and is deservedly out o the team. If he gets back on form he'll be back in the team.

BTW, Taylor? You honestly think that he is behind an 18 year old full back for a place at centre half?

Eirambler
01/01/2005, 4:57 PM
Taylor plays both RB and CB, but his natural position is CB. I suppose we'll see who's ahead of who at CB when Carr comes back from injury at RB.

It just doesn't look as though Souness has the faith in O'Brien that Robson had, and we definitely need him playing regularly between now and the end of the season. I'd be happier to see him move and play than stay and sit on the bench.