PDA

View Full Version : just an idea

Pages : [1] 2

max power
30/12/2004, 2:39 AM
ok, next season i'm running with various ideas to raise revenue. One of which is to sell all home ( and available away games )on dvd . these will be ready 2 days after the game and will cost 15 euro each.......

feedback on this idea and others i will put up is needed (good and bad )

also thinking of doing the half way challenge at home games with a jersey/signed football as a prize if you can score.......

oh and these dvd's will also be on sale on the club web site to away fans along with our own gear which will be up once i have photographed all i need and we have a means of international payment sorted.

if you have any other ideas or feedback pop me a mail on mark@onefinlongford.com

we need to get rolling as there are only 12 weeks to the new season kicking off.

Xlex
30/12/2004, 4:27 PM
ok, next season i'm running with various ideas to raise revenue. One of which is to sell all home ( and available away games )on dvd . these will be ready 2 days after the game and will cost 15 euro each........
In fairness Max, your DVD was cracking, but there are not going to be many nights where the quality of the fair would entice someone to part 15 euros for a game... The best teams in the best leagues in the world, wouldn't have a market for that.

After the quality soundtrack you produced, the next think you could work on is stadium music. It's some **** at the moment.

Another thing you have the equipment for is a photo section in the club shop. Get the players to sign a batch. Nothing kids like more.

Also need a 400 club/trust.

max power
30/12/2004, 4:56 PM
In fairness Max, your DVD was cracking, but there are not going to be many nights where the quality of the fair would entice someone to part 15 euros for a game... The best teams in the best leagues in the world, wouldn't have a market for that.

After the quality soundtrack you produced, the next think you could work on is stadium music. It's some **** at the moment.

Another thing you have the equipment for is a photo section in the club shop. Get the players to sign a batch. Nothing kids like more.

Also need a 400 club/trust.

400 club indeed......you mentioned that many times, if you want to get it going, pm me.

would you believe i've had a number of people looking for the soundtrack on cd :D . a number of new discs will be done for the new season.

the photo idea is a very good one and one which i will defo move on, any idea of price ????

the home game dvd is just another to float and it only creates enough revenue to cover the cost of the camera man, that is the aim.

De Town
30/12/2004, 5:02 PM
Id say if you tried to sell the game dvds for a tenner, you would sell a lot more copies and would probably make more money in the long run.

Xlex
30/12/2004, 5:25 PM
well, it depends on the cost of production but somewhere around 3 to 4 euros. It's a pity we don't have an A4 programme.

max power
30/12/2004, 5:31 PM
a program doesn't make money, it bearly breaks even.

production is less than 4 euro, but still i feel 15 euro for a game isn't bad, i've had a lot of people ask about the shels game, that could have sold 50 copies by itself.......

oh copies available if anyone would like one, 15 :ball:

max power
31/12/2004, 1:50 AM
on the 400 club, i'm havin a meetin with some club reps tomorrow and hope to come up with a package for it.

an american verison of dvd with some captions will be ready next week wth an initial 50 copies ordered.

i hope to have a sponsor in place next week to cover the cost of recording all our home games and also a sponsor for the half way challenge also.

ideas are needed, so come on people :)

RockofGibraltar
31/12/2004, 6:30 PM
why not try 2 get big posters of the first team squad so that young fellas can buy them an put them up on their bedroom walls.
U often see them is music shops..like the Man Utd squad 04/05, or the Liverpool squad etc.
U know what i mean..then u could sell them 4 about a fiver and id say a lot wud b sold

just a suggestion

Maz
31/12/2004, 6:47 PM
why not try 2 get big posters of the first team squad so that young fellas can buy them an put them up on their bedroom walls.
U often see them is music shops..like the Man Utd squad 04/05, or the Liverpool squad etc.
U know what i mean..then u could sell them 4 about a fiver and id say a lot wud b sold

just a suggestion

thats a good idea but the club have done calenders every year and gave them for free.....at least i dont recall paying for them!
So you could always just charge for em

gheewhizz
01/01/2005, 4:43 PM
thats a good idea but the club have done calenders every year and gave them for free.....at least i dont recall paying for them!
So you could always just charge for em

The first year the calender was out,there used to be a charge, but the supporters club got some many people giving out about the charge & then they were left with loads so they just gave them for free to get rid of them & hence they do that every year since. They make a small profit on the ads.

The clubs running cost would be near the 7 figure mark (covers under age & seniors) & we need to get money in, but alot of the time people give out about the cost of tickets, merchandise,let kids in for free (does this happen any where else?) etc.

We need people as max power said to help with ideas & even help with selling the ideas.ie the weekly lotto has only mainly 3 sellers every week to cover all the pubs in the town,the club don't come near the potential earnings from lotto because of lack of sellers...fans have been ask to sell in their pub that they drink in & they just laugh!

Rant over,Sorry about the rant,but I just had to get it off my chest!

Flea
03/01/2005, 10:44 PM
Raising revenue is difficult but the easiest way is getting a pub which will open for 21sts etc. as well. The main problem with such schemes for generating revenue is that if you sell things like posters, there are only so many bedroom walls which can have the same poster onit. Say 200 kids bought the posters at 5e each that would be only 1000e with that entire market used up as well as parents with the attitude that they've purchased nuff from LTFC for the year. As well there isn't nuff of a market for regular attendances, let alone constant dvds. I am not being offensive here, you're doing great in trying to help the club but we are talking about the most fickle fans on the plant along with the fact that longford is a small place.Personally I would like LTFC to become really commercial.I know its only a football club but these small revenue projects like attendances fluctuate with the teams performances sadly to say. I dunno, if somehow the club could get collateral for a loan to buy a solid source of income such as buying a filling station ;) .That is probably impossible considering finances and resources but still that way even twenty years down the line regardless of league status or attendances there would still be definite income. If I think of anything realistic not fantasy I'll let ye know... ;)

Its not about 'making hay while the sun shines' it is about laying down permanent, reliable sources of income now in the case of harder times down the line.Finally, say if some sort of huge business venture was started now and it took 5 years or more to complete it, who cares as long as it was vgood financially.I suppose what I'm saying is maybe quick fixes aren't the answers and laying it all on one person either(Max), if 100 people shared out only a pitty of work it wud make the load a lot lighter. :(

max power
03/01/2005, 11:11 PM
a commerical venture is almost there.... the bar, if it ever gets finished :rolleyes:

i have something major planned for the 2nd week in march and i want to have it in the bar so i'd like to see it finished.

i've been in contact with one of the major drink companies and i have them on board with the bar. i need another one just to play them off against each other. but when its finished it will bring in some much needed extra revenue.

but there are some moves in the pipeline and 2 of these should be realesed in the press in the next week or so.

there is a meeting later this week where i hope to finalise some more projacts for the start of the new season, but we haven't got much time and as ghee whizz said, the lotto can be a big earner so if your in a pub on a sat night, sell a few tickets. it will really help.

oh and check out the "other" forum later in the week for a Town prediection league for next season with some good prizes.

MariborKev
03/01/2005, 11:13 PM
a program doesn't make money, it bearly breaks even.

Max,

I assume you are talking about Longford's programme? We make over £10k sterling through the programme each season up here.

max power
03/01/2005, 11:14 PM
yes its our program i'm talking about, but there is an exception to every rule and well done with that.

Longfordian
04/01/2005, 1:48 AM
Part of our problem, as is a major problem within the club is that no-one will give up their time to do anything, In this case sell programmes..Like it or not our club needs volunteer work and if you want it to progress get your finger out of your nether regions and help, It's been said already but all the work is being done by far too few. If you or the people of Longford want a successful club there are countless ways in which you can help, please ask someone involved, we all know who they are..

rant over but please consider it, it's not fair on those who are taking all the burden

max power
04/01/2005, 1:55 AM
Part of our problem, as is a major problem within the club is that no-one will give up their time to do anything, In this case sell programmes..Like it or not our club needs volunteer work and if you want it to progress get your finger out of your nether regions and help, It's been said already but all the work is being done by far too few. If you or the people of Longford want a successful club there are countless ways in which you can help, please ask someone involved, we all know who they are..

rant over but please consider it, it's not fair on those who are taking all the burden

FACT.....

people can complain and moan all they want, but until you do something about it, but the above is the simple truth.

i would say more but it would be a waste of my time, come march it will be the same people involved trying to rasie funds......and the same heads compalining and moaning about things :rolleyes:

Éanna
04/01/2005, 3:21 PM
Max,

I assume you are talking about Longford's programme? We make over £10k sterling through the programme each season up here.
ours makes a good bit as well AFAIK

Macy
05/01/2005, 7:35 AM
let kids in for free (does this happen any where else?)
Yes, Bohs actually make more money when their running the promotion, as theirs is 2 kids free with one paying adult. It's boosted their attendances and gate money.

The bar will be an important money earner - hopefully it won't be scuppered by other events in town and people will stay out there for at least a few after the match.

Flea - the idea of a filling station isn't actually as stupid as it sounds - if you think of the amount of traffic on that road on a Friday night/ Sunday evening for example.

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 9:25 AM
Any time we let kids in for free our takings are down significantly, at a guess the end of season games with kids free cost up to €10,000 in lost gate money, a lot of it was due to kids not being accompanied by adults as they were supposed to be or having one adult with 5 kids etc..A filling station isnt a bad idea. Another one would be if there was ever a windfall of money, to buy a pub in somewhere with a larger population, somewhere like Galway, just lease it out and have a guaranteed income for years

Macy
05/01/2005, 9:59 AM
Any time we let kids in for free our takings are down significantly, at a guess the end of season games with kids free cost up to €10,000 in lost gate money, a lot of it was due to kids not being accompanied by adults as they were supposed to be or having one adult with 5 kids etc
I suppose that's to do with the operation of the scheme, rather than the theory. If it doesn't work, and is seriously costing that much scrap it. Target individual schools with free tickets instead.

town73
05/01/2005, 11:36 AM
Flea, your thoughts about having a solid commerical income all year round are spot on.

• With the new by-pass due to be built in the next five years, a restaurant could be developed in the car park area - Mother Hubbards style - with truckers in mind. The new road is due to link the red cow roundabout with the N5 by 2010.

•*A second bar area could be developed behind the car park end goal to include executive boxes on the pitch side, which could be sold/hired.

•*Further development of the five-a-side pitches - one full size pitch with a net that could create two five-a-side pitches. There are very few full size pitches that can be used all year round.

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 12:00 PM
I suppose that's to do with the operation of the scheme, rather than the theory. If it doesn't work, and is seriously costing that much scrap it. Target individual schools with free tickets instead.

Initially it was supposed to be a maximum of two kids with every adult, but ended up being operated as all kids free, it was too loose. It did boost the bodies at the games but it was like a creche at times with gangs of kids wandering around unsupervised and disturbing others, tickets that are only valid where one adult must accompany every two kids would be a better way of regulating it alright, rather than doing it at the turnstiles. It's a positive promotion if it's done correctly

max power
05/01/2005, 4:18 PM
Flea, your thoughts about having a solid commerical income all year round are spot on.

• With the new by-pass due to be built in the next five years, a restaurant could be developed in the car park area - Mother Hubbards style - with truckers in mind. The new road is due to link the red cow roundabout with the N5 by 2010.

•*A second bar area could be developed behind the car park end goal to include executive boxes on the pitch side, which could be sold/hired.

•*Further development of the five-a-side pitches - one full size pitch with a net that could create two five-a-side pitches. There are very few full size pitches that can be used all year round.

excut boxes are on the cards at the mo, but the ground must be finished before any of this is done

max power
05/01/2005, 4:29 PM
Jesus, you couldn't inflict another of those on the public, surely? I love greasy spoon cafes, with fry ups and mugs of tea and all that. Remember looking at MHs for years wondering just how good it could be. When I finally got my own car and could actually stop, imagine my disappointment...

well said

town73
05/01/2005, 5:54 PM
Jesus, you couldn't inflict another of those on the public, surely? I love greasy spoon cafes, with fry ups and mugs of tea and all that. Remember looking at MHs for years wondering just how good it could be. When I finally got my own car and could actually stop, imagine my disappointment...

I did say Mother Hubbard's style, not the exact same. A café/greasy spoon is exactly what I'm talking about. I mentioned Mother Hubbards because it's one of the more well known roadside cafés.

I noticed that there was a story in this week's Longford News about pushing on with buildiing the N5 bypass.

Flea
05/01/2005, 7:29 PM
With this type of project the club would still be in a position to make profit during the close season. As a matter of interest when will the pub be finished and is there a demand for these so-called executive boxes(if so, will they help financially after all we are not catering for Roman Abramovich yet).

max power
05/01/2005, 7:45 PM
yes there is a demand and it cleans up the eye sore of a corner beside tunnel.

the bar is eh........i'm saying nothing in case i rant :rolleyes:

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 7:49 PM
As regards the bar the Supporters' Club are in charge of developing that one at the moment, they always seem to be running out of cash to finish it, but maybe having raised a few grand at Christmas they can push on, we really need it done a.s.a.p..As for the exec boxes, I think Flancare would definitely take one, maybe the likes of Abbott could be convinced to treat their employees too, it could be a good facility plus the space is going to waste at the moment, it looks like a building site, if all grants can be obtained that were supposed to be coming our way that will be part of the improvements. It's like a lot of things it's hard to find the necessary cash to jump-start it

max power
05/01/2005, 7:52 PM
As regards the bar the Supporters' Club are in charge of developing that one at the moment, they always seem to be running out of cash to finish it, but maybe having raised a few grand at Christmas they can push on, we really need it done a.s.a.p..

BUT even when people over free services etc their calls are not returned, i've had people say it to me over the crimbo.

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 7:57 PM
If that's the case that really is something that has to be thrashed out, I think they're a little over-protective of their pet project and can be a little cliquey sometimes but anyhow, we'll see if there's any developments, they generally mean well

max power
05/01/2005, 8:01 PM
i know but we need this done and quick......time is running out and another season will go by

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 8:06 PM
True, a lot of people are getting frustrated. If there's services on offer, offer them through LTFC would be my suggestion, it is their property after all and the SC could hardly complain if someone was going to help finish the bar, even if their pride might be a little wounded

max power
05/01/2005, 8:08 PM
True, a lot of people are getting frustrated. If there's services on offer, offer them through LTFC would be my suggestion, it is their property after all and the SC could hardly complain if someone was going to help finish the bar, even if their pride might be a little wounded

indeed, we need it done asap as you said. it can be a great money earner.

Xlex
05/01/2005, 9:29 PM
must be four seasons waiting, however it can't be that far behind when the painters are in...

there's two committees at the club. The board and the supporters club. I don't think Max would have a problem getting elected to the SC, therefore you would be working within rather than outside at the moment.

I also believe that those who actually do anything in either are doing so much already that, it's hard to do anything else. Surely there is a park devolpment committee, someone can go straight to.

When is the supporters club AGM?

When is membership available?

max power
05/01/2005, 9:39 PM
must be four seasons waiting, however it can't be that far behind when the painters are in...

there's two committees at the club. The board and the supporters club. I don't think Max would have a problem getting elected to the SC, therefore you would be working within rather than outside at the moment.

I also believe that those who actually do anything in either are doing so much already that, it's hard to do anything else. Surely there is a park devolpment committee, someone can go straight to.

When is the supporters club AGM?

When is membership available?

not interested in supporters club, i have seen how they operate and am not really motivated to get involved. that is a personal choice.

i have a lot of project going at the mo and am meeting with the chairman at the weekend.

it was painted a long time ago, nothing has been done since, i made phone calls and left messages to get sound and av sorted ( which i was having sponsored ) and no return call.......what do you do ????

i want to set up an alternative group for those interested, a meeting in town any weekend is all it takes.

Longfordian
05/01/2005, 9:45 PM
A good 3-4 weeks continuous work would finish it seemingly but they needed money for this work to go ahead, I don't know an awful lot about their situation but by all accounts their Christmas draw was a success so hopefully work can resume quickly. Without being glib if they cant finance it they should be looking for help from people, organise a loan if necessary just get it finished and any loans won't be a major burden for long

max power
09/01/2005, 1:36 AM
keep an eye on local press and on the club web site for two major fund raising activites happening before the start of the season.

one aimed at all fans and the other at interested businesses.........

btw the bar won't be ready until at least may, it must be completely finished before it can be inspected by garda and fire officer, both of which report to the court, which only sits on this type of thing 3 times a year....jan, may and sept.....so we have to aim for may or its a long time to wait and a lot of possible lost revenue.

CollegeTillIDie
09/01/2005, 1:48 PM
Locate the filling station at the ground and visiting supporters would give you a lot of business there to be sure to get home without running out of petrol.
Great idea !

max power
09/01/2005, 2:02 PM
Locate the filling station at the ground and visiting supporters would give you a lot of business there to be sure to get home without running out of petrol.
Great idea !

will never happen, not enough space to gain planning permission........checked it out yesterday

CollegeTillIDie
09/01/2005, 2:04 PM
will never happen, not enough space to gain planning permission........checked it out yesterday

Well anywhere on the road between Longford and Flancare Park might just work... but that news about planning permission adjacent to the ground is disappointing .

Flea
10/01/2005, 11:28 AM
What about taking up some of the car park towards the astroturf end or even a large part of the car park itself :cool:

Macy
10/01/2005, 11:47 AM
Flancare already have permission for a filling station just up the road - noticed it in an article about the new Dunnes....

max power
10/01/2005, 1:18 PM
Flancare already have permission for a filling station just up the road - noticed it in an article about the new Dunnes....

is that part of the hotel.......

no flea, we need ALL THE CAR PARK.........i'll pm ya why

Macy
10/01/2005, 1:26 PM
is that part of the hotel.......

no flea, we need ALL THE CAR PARK.........i'll pm ya why
At the hotel complex yeah, and where dunnes are supposed to be going as well now.

I'd say the car parking is part of the planning permission for the ground, and would certainly be if/when we apply for a drinks licence.

Longfordian
10/01/2005, 1:31 PM
Correct, it is part of the planning permission conditions to have car parking, it has to be surfaced too, which is a project which has to be done soon

max power
10/01/2005, 1:32 PM
At the hotel complex yeah, and where dunnes are supposed to be going as well now.

I'd say the car parking is part of the planning permission for the ground, and would certainly be if/when we apply for a drinks licence.

no the cark park is more due to the fact that we have to have space fot 6,500 people to park, silly but true. i was told this when i enquired bout the idea of a filling station or truck stop cafe at flancre.....

we are looking into have a mobile one that would pull away in the evenings, it would create revenue but does not need planning permission as it is not a perm structure.

Longfordian
10/01/2005, 1:34 PM
Not too sure how viable a mobile cafe would be..any other examples of it being done?

max power
10/01/2005, 1:39 PM
Not too sure how viable a mobile cafe would be..any other examples of it being done?

all over the country.......maybe not by football clubs, but trucks are always looking for a place to stop for a bit of grub.

Longfordian
10/01/2005, 1:46 PM
Im just finding it hard to recall ever seeing one but I'll take your word for it :)

max power
10/01/2005, 1:48 PM
Im just finding it hard to recall ever seeing one but I'll take your word for it :)

you've never seen a fan selling chips/burgers/tea on the side of the road :confused: