PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid(b 1982)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45

DannyInvincible
18/08/2013, 11:13 AM
He does look in good shape and showed pace racing into the box to get his goal.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/andy_zps71a6fd03.png

Charlie Darwin
18/08/2013, 11:58 AM
Andy Reid on the scoreboard to, he had a real leg breaking type tackle shortly before he scored,
seems to have rattled him into action!!!

Video evidence!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UoSjhT2txE

Tackle about 4 mins into video his goal on about 6 mins.

Whilst he may have lost weight he has not lost his first touch!!
That Medo lad is a nasty player. Sent off against Rovers a couple of years back for stamping on his opponent's head. Have to admire his utter bewilderment when the red card is produced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xp9iiuIB3H4&t=9

DannyInvincible
18/08/2013, 12:04 PM
Have to admire his utter bewilderment when the red card is produced.

He was probably expecting at least two red cards.

Eminence Grise
18/08/2013, 1:09 PM
Without hailing him as the messiah (or a very naughty boy) could a twilight Reid do a job in a post-Trap era - i.e. probably before the season is out?

Crosby87
18/08/2013, 2:04 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi3t5eVJE2PQBLPYG7YZdxWvdv2TZPH GQJ82AsIt3eM_6ZvLRipQ

Many da Irish fan call me on da Sunnyday. Say me, Trap, time for da call up again da fat Reid. Say me Reid, he no a fat more. He many no eat da meats. Only da Potato, da corn. Maybe da veggie Burger. No da McDonalds. No da whole thing.
It true, Marco show me da picture da mini Reid. Say me, Marco, Reid, he a sell da guitar? Me have headache just think about it. He no sing good. He no play good. Only loud. No good Italian, like da Sinatra. Only da loud, da bad song. Me say hey, Fat, maybe you go for da bed now. Me can't hear da Trap think. Da good lad, da Dunne, da O'Shea, he try get Reid for the bed. Reid he a no listen. Only keep play da bad and eat da snacks. Sigh. Reid he tell da Trap shut da mouth. Me say, Ok, you no play more the Irish. No pick you more. You go to da Willy Wonka chocolate factory for all da Trap he gonna care. Me find better da player. Da Liam Miller maybe. Da Walters. Da Long Cox.
Now you want fan have you pick? Da trap born at a night, but a not last night. Me no pick I say da Irish, fan, call no more. How you a get da number anyway? For da Trap? You want bother? Call da Marco.

Junior
19/08/2013, 3:24 PM
At last Crosby....a post on topic.

Closed Account 2
19/08/2013, 4:07 PM
I don't see what Reid would offer that we dont already have in midfield... You have to think that Brady, James McCarthy, Hoolahan, maybe even Hendrik and Meyler are ahead of him. Personally I even pick Andrews and Fahey ahead of him (despite the latter being unattached). I'm not against Trap picking Championship players who have been in the international wilderness, even ones who struggle to leave food on a plate :) - I'd say Paddy Kenny would be a good shout given Forde's injury, but I think Ried wouldnt offer much at all, I think his ship left the port a few years ago.

geysir
19/08/2013, 4:49 PM
I don't see what Reid would offer that we dont already have in midfield... You have to think that Brady, James McCarthy, Hoolahan, maybe even Hendrik and Meyler are ahead of him. Personally I even pick Andrews and Fahey ahead of him (despite the latter being unattached). I'm not against Trap picking Championship players who have been in the international wilderness, even ones who struggle to leave food on a plate :) - I'd say Paddy Kenny would be a good shout given Forde's injury, but I think Ried wouldnt offer much at all, I think his ship left the port a few years ago.
Depends on the form he's in and it sounds like he's on form these days.
If he's fit and playing well, Reid has more on-the-ball ability in his big toe than most of those players mentioned, he would contribute to a side of the game which has to do with the ability to retain possession and offensive play. None of those players (or nearly none) mentioned can control the ball under pressure, create a bit of space and spray a pass like Andy. That's what he has to offer more than any other. Trap doesn't value that contribution as having much value in the scheme of things, he would prefer to bring on Andy Keogh as the player to claw our way back into a game.

In his current form, Andy is worth a place on our bench, and if there's a game where we need to put the opposition on the back foot and score a goal then it's a player like Andy or Wes you turn to, not Hendrik or Andrews or Keogh.

Sullivinho
19/08/2013, 9:43 PM
If, as some believe, Elvis Presley staged his own death and were still alive somewhere, he'd be 78 now and in no condition to make a comeback.

Personally, I look forward to the day when Andy Reid enters his 40's, is universally accepted to be beyond the demands of international football and his possible return becomes a moot point of discussion.

geysir
19/08/2013, 9:57 PM
If, as some believe, Elvis Presley staged his own death and were still alive somewhere, he'd be 78 now and in no condition to make a comeback.

Personally, I look forward to the day when Andy Reid enters his 40's, is universally accepted to be beyond the demands of international football and his possible return becomes a moot point of discussion.
I look forward to the day when people who are bored/not interested in Andy Reid, don't bother their arses to open up a latest post in the Andy Reid thread and then go on to take the trouble to let us know just how bored they are by a once every five years discussion about Andy Reid and the Ireland squad.
Feck off the thread and get bored some place else :)

Sullivinho
19/08/2013, 10:08 PM
Now now, Geysir. That's no state of agitation to be working yourself into so early in the week. Greater irritations lay ahead. Pace yourself.

Supreme feet
19/08/2013, 11:33 PM
Reid was/is definitely more naturally talented than the likes of Andrews, Hendrick and Meyler, but whether he is technically better than Brady or McCarthy is another matter - they're both very gifted young players with good footballing brains. I remember Reid being outstanding in two games (Cyprus '04 and Germany '07) and pretty average the rest of the time - either anonymous or trying too hard to hit 'Hollywood' passes and giving possession away. Through the sheer forces of nostalgia and injustice, we've forgotten that Reid never really imposed himself on games often enough.

Closed Account 2
20/08/2013, 10:42 AM

Like Andy Reid now his most notable contribution in an Irish squadwould be to strum a few chords on a guitar....

Closed Account 2
20/08/2013, 11:58 AM
Reid, Hendrick, Brady, Meyler and Andrews all played the bulk of their football in the Championship last year, if you compare their stats over the season you get the following:

Andy Reid - 5 goals and 10 assists in 3321 mins
Brady - 4 goals and 13 assists in 2605 mins
Hendrick - 6 goals 4 assists in 3855
Meyler - 5 goals 3 assists in 2306 mins
Andrews - 4 goals and 0 assists in 1956 mins

Reid has the worst goals / min ratio of those players (Meyler is a goal every 5.1 games, Andrews 5.4, Hendrick 7.1, Brady 7.2, Reid 7.4)
His assists are better where he is second on that list (Brady is an assist every 2.2 games, Reid 3.7, Meyler 8.5, Hendrick 10.7, Andrews n/a)

But given his age I can't see the logic of having him anywhere near the squad. The stats would suggest Brady is already a better option than him (as well as being younger and now playing at a higher level than Reid), Meyler and Hendrick seem more likely to score and perhaps less likely to create than Reid, but both are least 5 years younger than him (to say nothing of the fact Reid has never been in as good a physical shape as them). We have stronger first team players than him in his position McCarthy, Hoolahan and Brady - Reid adds nothing, absolutely nothing, to exceed those three - all will be playing at a higher level than him this coming season (latter two in PL, former at least supplimenting Championship football with EL group games). If we are to have another attacking midfielder in the squad I'd go for youth and pick Meyler or Hendrick.

Stuttgart88
20/08/2013, 4:13 PM
I dunno. Reid has one thing that only Hoolahan and Gibson can also bring - some composure on the ball in midfield. He can buy you that precious extra half second or second that would otherwise lead to panic and lost possession. It's something we regularly lack. It's also something that you don't really lose in your early 30s.

I like the idea of including young players in the squad for the future but of the 5 named by Edmundo above Reid is probably the one I'd trust most in central midfield next month, though maybe not alongside Whelan. I think Andrews brings something different still.

Closed Account 2
20/08/2013, 4:41 PM
Can McCarthy not do that? And I think Brady to a degree would offer that as well. All this on the ball ability is also offset by an inability to win the ball back off the opposition. He might be composed and distribute the ball well, but he is totally ineffective when not in posession of the ball, he can't tackle to disposses and he patently won't be able to track opposition runs given his stamina. We already have Whelan in the team (who looks like he is running through treacle after about 60 mins) but at least he has a degree of defensive knowledge. I wouldnt play Whelan myself but Trap seems to pick him regularly, if we have him in the team it would be suicide to have Reid next to him at the center of a 4 man midfield.

In fact we can only really afford to play Reid if we go 4-5-1 and play Reid just behind the striker, that way we could play more mobile central midfielders who could at least track runs and close players down (say like McCarthy or even Andrews). If we were to do this (and I think it would be a disaster) who would we play as the out-and-out striker? If we pick Robbie we run the risk of him coming back into midfield and then not having anyone upfront. If we drop Robbie and upfront we have someone like Doyle, Long, Sammon or even Walters with Reid playing off them where will the goals come from? We would be better off with playing Robbie off Long (or Doyle) and having McCarthy or Brady alongside Whelan (or ideally forget and play McCarthy and Brady (but encourage them to be more cautious and keep positional discipline).

Fixer82
20/08/2013, 5:05 PM
Reid was/is definitely more naturally talented than the likes of Andrews, Hendrick and Meyler, but whether he is technically better than Brady or McCarthy is another matter - they're both very gifted young players with good footballing brains. I remember Reid being outstanding in two games (Cyprus '04 and Germany '07) and pretty average the rest of the time - either anonymous or trying too hard to hit 'Hollywood' passes and giving possession away. Through the sheer forces of nostalgia and injustice, we've forgotten that Reid never really imposed himself on games often enough.

I remember him being interviewed after that game and everyone thinking; 'he's a future captain'. He spoke well, was a leader on the pitch and clearly a very talented footballer.

Never thought he'd only end up with 27 caps

geysir
20/08/2013, 6:06 PM
Now now, Geysir. That's no state of agitation to be working yourself into so early in the week. Greater irritations lay ahead. Pace yourself.Au contraire, I'm quite happy, content and totally in control when telling you to f'eck off elsewhere with your 'vibes',
just eat the dirt.:)

Stuttgart88
20/08/2013, 8:21 PM
Can McCarthy not do that? And I think Brady to a degree would offer that as well. All this on the ball ability is also offset by an inability to win the ball back off the opposition. He might be composed and distribute the ball well, but he is totally ineffective when not in posession of the ball, he can't tackle to disposses and he patently won't be able to track opposition runs given his stamina. We already have Whelan in the team (who looks like he is running through treacle after about 60 mins) but at least he has a degree of defensive knowledge. I wouldnt play Whelan myself but Trap seems to pick him regularly, if we have him in the team it would be suicide to have Reid next to him at the center of a 4 man midfield. I'll give you McCarthy although I don't 100% see McCarthy as being the elegant "head up" player the others are. What I've seen of Brady so far is a guy more suited to paying wide and taking his man on, a more sophisticated McClean in a sense. Is that not right?

Wrt Reid's defensive side, I'd expect that to be true now (I haven't seen much of him in last 18 months) but a few years ago I think his defensive frailty was overrated. He did actually work hard off the ball and RTE showed clips supporting this when he was at Sunderland.

As to Supreme Feet's observation, yes he was superb in that game against Germany but flopped only days later against Cyprus. He ran the show in Copenhagen when he and Potter were in CM in a 4-0 friendly win against Denmark. Meaningless game in the scheme of things though.

geysir
20/08/2013, 9:15 PM
I suppose failing to win a crucial game against a similar standard team like Austria, managing only 35% of the possession and just about half the passing stats of the visitors isn't so much of an issue :rolleyes: though managers have fallen to the sword for much less.
Introducing Brady, Hendrick, McClean etc haven't changed that basic approach and failings, the inability to retain possession against similar or lower standard teams, for more than 2 or 3 passes and our panache for hoofing it up front in all events, the sight of Andy Keogh or even Sammon warming up as our sub options, sending even darker clouds. Possibly we are playing the worst type football in all of Europe, albeit good organisation and workmanship compensating for the lack of quality. Most teams worse off than us, can play better than we manage to do.
I doubt if anyone remotely thought of Reid starting the team as CM partner to Whelan as being an option, at least no more than Reid as a goalkeeping option.
Most would see McCarthy as nr1 and partnered by anybody else but Whelan.
We are indeed in a sad state, if bringing on Andy Keogh as a sub, throwing all sorts of weird shapes on the pitch, appears rational, while a reborn Reid is left back home eating low caloried pies and running 100m sprints in 10 seconds flat.
We don't need to have 2 wingers as part of a gospel formation all the time, Fahey or Lawrence were not wingers, yet when on form they could play a useful role at wide midfield. Reid is a resourceful experienced skilful option to have on the bench at the very least.

tricky_colour
21/08/2013, 12:54 AM
If he comes back can he bring his guitar?

Eminence Grise
21/08/2013, 8:34 AM
Don't fret... I think any comeback would have to be no strings attached.

Fixer82
21/08/2013, 11:13 AM
If he's to come back he'll really need to plug into the current system. We don't want any more riffs in the (c)amp

Eminence Grise
21/08/2013, 2:33 PM
Yes, but can we ignore our players of note? Someone with his pluck, who could finetune our midfield?

DannyInvincible
25/08/2013, 12:25 PM
Andy Reid drives a left-footed shot into the top right corner of the net to put Forest 1-0 up away to Watford. Great start to the season for him.

Carrigaline
25/08/2013, 1:09 PM
Andy Reid drives a left-footed shot into the top right corner of the net to put Forest 1-0 up away to Watford. Great start to the season for him.
He's looking quite svelte.

DannyInvincible
25/08/2013, 7:28 PM
Reid's goal from earlier today:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13n9je_watford-fc-nottingham-forest-fc-1-1_sport#from=embediframe

Grafter
25/08/2013, 8:30 PM
Coming up to ten years now this autumn from when he made his senior international debut against Canada... time flies!

Stuttgart88
25/08/2013, 9:20 PM
Who could finetune our midfield?
Gibson could Marshall our midfield and Fender off the opposition.

Charlie Darwin
25/08/2013, 9:22 PM
Gibson could Marshall our midfield and Fender off the opposition.
We've got enough options to cope even if Germany went rogue and brought Lars Rickenbacker.

tricky_colour
25/08/2013, 10:07 PM
Whether it's playing a score or scoring a goal Andy is top of the charts at them moment!! ;)

More cheese anyone?

OwlsFan
26/08/2013, 4:34 PM
Don't fret... I think any comeback would have to be no strings attached.

He led Watford a merry dance in the first half.

No longer lead guitarist in the 2nd when he faded.

(Interested to see young Sean Murray appear as sub for Watford having scored two mid-week. Almost scored the winner).

DannyInvincible
26/08/2013, 10:15 PM
Isn't Lewis McGugan, who scored Watford's peach of an equaliser, also eligible to play for us?

shakermaker1982
27/08/2013, 11:30 AM
Isn't Lewis McGugan, who scored Watford's peach of an equaliser, also eligible to play for us?

Yep, I think it's his father who was born in Ireland.

Great shot on him but can drift in and out of games. Don't think the Trap would warm to him either because of his work rate!

geysir
27/08/2013, 10:50 PM
He led Watford a merry dance in the first half.

No longer lead guitarist in the 2nd when he faded.
He didn't fade, true genius (like love) does not fade away, he just wasn't as outstanding as he was in the first half. Reid, like all the Forest players, had to roll up their sleeves and do the graft.
I'm thinking to send members of the RTE panel a reminder about this forgotten genius of irish football. Of course Andy is not forgotten by lovers of the beautiful game but it is timely to remind the public about Andy, our genius in exile.

Closed Account
31/08/2013, 2:11 PM
Andy Reid "looks really good, looks like he's lost a few pounds" scores a free kick, 3 in 3 for him. #callhimup........

tricky_colour
31/08/2013, 9:26 PM
free kick here, bad camera work though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSXhGz9TB74

Grafter
12/09/2013, 9:21 PM
Does Reid merit a place in squad/team currently? Made his Ireland senior debut 10 years ago and 31 years old now though amazingly still 2 months younger than Hoolahan.

Stuttgart88
13/09/2013, 9:47 PM
Yes he does

Grafter
13/09/2013, 10:07 PM
Yes he does

Realistically if he was to return would he be playing a more central midfield role? Is it far to say Wes and himself are extremely similar type players - which player currently is more superior then? I only get snippets from Championship matches....

ArdeeBhoy
13/09/2013, 10:21 PM
He could probably still do a job of sorts, albeit if used sparingly.
And he's probably our best player of a dead ball, even after all these years...

Stuttgart88
14/09/2013, 6:39 AM
Realistically if he was to return would he be playing a more central midfield role? Is it far to say Wes and himself are extremely similar type players - which player currently is more superior then? I only get snippets from Championship matches....
I think you can only compare by trying. We really have little idea what either can now bring to an Ireland shirt although Wes gave a good performance against Georgia.

Reid could also play as a wide midfielder, not a winger as such.

ArdeeBhoy
14/09/2013, 10:56 AM
If you believed all the negative 'hype' of recent years, he certainly was a wide midfielder...
:rolleyes:

tricky_colour
15/09/2013, 12:41 AM
He could probably still do a job of sorts, albeit if used sparingly.
And he's probably our best player of a dead ball, even after all these years...

He created Forests second goal from a free kick, swung into the far post and the defence put it into their own net.
He provided the cross for headed winner too. So he has 3 goal this season and at least two assists, pity he was not playing against Austria.

tricky_colour
16/09/2013, 12:22 AM
Found some championship stats here, I know you are all big fans of stats.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/3859/Stages/7800/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2013-2014

It shows Andy Reid is the 3rd best player in the World................ of championship football.

I though he got two assist in his last match but it only shows one there so I guess I was wrong.

However the Forest site says two assists so maybe I was right :D
If they had that extra assist in their stats it might put Andy in the number one spot,
he is on 7.80 and number one is 7.94, I think an assist would be worth more than the difference of 0.14

Quite a few other Irish in the listing including Richard Keogh at no 28.

geysir
16/09/2013, 9:03 PM
#callhimupMON#

Charlie Darwin
17/09/2013, 12:47 PM
#noloyalty

tetsujin1979
17/09/2013, 1:16 PM
#MONout

geysir
21/09/2013, 4:10 PM
Andy celebrates his centenary foot.ie page with a late equaliser for Forest.
What can we say in praise about this player that hasn't already been said?

Closed Account 2
23/09/2013, 2:15 PM
If he's in the squad for Germany will he have to do another initiation song given it's been so long since he last played for us?

He might go for this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSx4yp_cvrs) if so.