PDA

View Full Version : Andy Reid(b 1982)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2008, 2:55 PM
Keith Andrews is having an excellent game. Very impressed with his first half performance. Best player on the park.

Splurge
15/11/2008, 3:26 PM
Gibson on For Utd.

Noelys Guitar
15/11/2008, 6:04 PM
Reid came on early in second half and had an excellent game.

Wolfie
17/11/2008, 8:23 AM
Brady and Tardelli placated Trapp. Reid stayed, sulked for the duration and now Trapp feels that Reid is an unsettling influence on the squad?

Pure speculation though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noely's Guitar posted this up on a separate thread. Could suggest that Reid's demeanour and sulking has partly prompted him to drop him completely. Unusual to be dropped for emitting "Negative Vibes".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo....html?ITO=1490

Trapattoni said: ‘Andy Reid is a character. He values himself a lot and when he doesn’t play, he gets sad. I need a winning smile, enthusiasm. There are other players who don’t play but they still smile.’

elroy
17/11/2008, 9:50 AM
Reid came on early in second half and had an excellent game.

Did he assist the second goal or was it malbranque, only saw it very briefly on MOTD2 last night but did look like Reid played him through.

paul_oshea
17/11/2008, 10:14 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noely's Guitar posted this up on a separate thread. Could suggest that Reid's demeanour and sulking has partly prompted him to drop him completely. Unusual to be dropped for emitting "Negative Vibes".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo....html?ITO=1490

Trapattoni said: ‘Andy Reid is a character. He values himself a lot and when he doesn’t play, he gets sad. I need a winning smile, enthusiasm. There are other players who don’t play but they still smile.’

Is Reid getting fed up wolfie?!

Stuttgart88
17/11/2008, 10:38 AM
Maybe he was playing Leonard Cohen hits of the late 60s on his guitar after the games.

tetsujin1979
17/11/2008, 11:42 AM
Did he assist the second goal or was it malbranque, only saw it very briefly on MOTD2 last night but did look like Reid played him through.
According to the matchtracker on Sky Sports, it was Whitehead

Noelys Guitar
17/11/2008, 12:28 PM

No that was Malbranque. What Reid did do was help Sunderland hold onto the ball. In the first half it was all route one stuff with Cisse not getting a look in. When Reid came on Cisse became a different player. Reid brought him into the game with his passes to feet.

OwlsFan
17/11/2008, 4:00 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1117/ireland.html

Brady explains Reid omission

Monday, 17 November 2008 15:49

Liam Brady insists Andy Reid has not been dropped from the Republic of Ireland squad because he has a poor attitude.

Giovanni Trapattoni's assistant moved to dispel any notion of a fresh row between the two men after months of speculation over their relationship.

The 26-year-old Sunderland midfielder has been left out of the squad for Wednesday night's friendly clash with Poland, and Trapattoni admitted that his disappointment at being unable to force his way into the team had left the player 'sad'.

However, the Italian's comments were interpreted in some quarters as suggesting Reid had been dropped because he had sulked, and Brady was swift to respond on the manager's behalf.

He said: 'He (Trapattoni) outlined that he doesn't want to change the system. I read the papers this morning about Andy having a poor attitude - that's not what Giovanni was saying.

'Andy has trained well, he has been good around the group, but I think the manager thought he is not going to be figuring, so until he does, it is best not to have him here, that's all.'

Reid simply does not fit into the system Trapattoni has employed in his opening six games - a run which has brought three wins and as many draws - with two defensively-minded central midfielders allowing wingers Damien Duff and Aiden McGeady to join forces with strikers Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle at every opportunity.

But he admits that may not always be the case, and that other players, including the former Charlton midfielder, could yet come into his thoughts.

Another man who is firmly in the thoughts of many supporters is Stephen Ireland, who has to date rejected Trapattoni's overtures to return from his self-imposed exile from international football.

The 22-year-old scored both goals in Manchester City's 2-2 draw at Hull yesterday to underline his current rich vein of form, although that came as no surprise to the Irish camp.

Asked if he wished there could be a resolution, Brady said: 'Absolutely - and I do agree with (City boss) Mark Hughes, he is Man City's best player this year. He is playing very, very well, and we know what he can do. But the situation is what it is.

'You should ask Stephen Ireland what is on his agenda. We have been to see the boy, we have asked him to come back. Do you want us to go over every week to ask him?'

Trapattoni and his players trained at Malahide this morning under slate skies and in pouring rain as their work began in earnest for the Poland game.

However, skipper Keane was missing after returning to Liverpool for treatment on his shoulder injury, while keeper Dean Kiely too is back in England with a sprained wrist.

With Reading striker Noel Hunt having already been drafted in following Aiden McGeady's withdrawal, Keane will not be replaced, although Coventry keeper Kieren Westwood has been called up.

Trapattoni has already hinted that he will look at some of the more recent additions to the squad on Wednesday evening, with the likes of midfielders Keith Andrews and Darron Gibson, and particularly in the wake of Keane's departure, Hull striker Caleb Folan likely to play some part.

Meanwhile, Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney has praised Trapattoni's influence since taking up his post in May.

Speaking as the FAI announced a six-year commercial partnership agreement with Lucozade Sport, Delaney said: 'Six games unbeaten and seven points from nine - we couldn't have wished for more than that.

'He is doing tremendous work, himself, Liam and Marco (Tardelli), the management team, the players, so we are very pleased, certainly with the results to date.'

Stuttgart88
18/11/2008, 7:35 AM
Delaney said: 'seven points from nine - we couldn't have wished for more than that.' Well, we could have wished for 9 points.

Metrostars
18/11/2008, 4:04 PM
If even if S Ireland was available, would Trap play him? I don't think he fits into his "system" (which is to play reserve EPL holding midfielders and it works...)

irishfan86
18/11/2008, 9:55 PM
If even if S Ireland was available, would Trap play him? I don't think he fits into his "system" (which is to play reserve EPL holding midfielders and it works...)

Trap stated that his system currently doesn't accommodate a player of that position, but this may be based on the players he has available.

Perhaps if Stephen Ireland was available, he would change his system to accommodate him.

Pure speculation obviously, but with the way he's playing right now it wouldn't be a radical thing to do (in contrast, Reid's club form would not merit such drastic changes to the Irish system).

Kingdom
18/11/2008, 11:16 PM
Trap stated that his system currently doesn't accommodate a player of that position, but this may be based on the players he has available.

Perhaps if Stephen Ireland was available, he would change his system to accommodate him.

Pure speculation obviously, but with the way he's playing right now it wouldn't be a radical thing to do (in contrast, Reid's club form would not merit such drastic changes to the Irish system).

I only thought about this last weekend. If Ireland was availble to him would his system be different. Think about - Duff, Ireland, Keane, Andy Reid, McGeady, all vying for places behind Doyle/Folan/Target man. Not bad is it? I realise that it might seem stupid to assume that he's changed his plan on 1 player not being available, but it is something that has crossed my mind.
I wonder did they get positive assurances when they met Ireland that time.

Its a pity that both himself and Andy O'Brien are refusing to make themselves available, because for me the squad looks a lot healthier with both in it.

In Trap we trust!

co. down green
23/11/2008, 1:29 PM
Trap on the Andy Reid incident in Germany.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-breaks-his-silence-on-reid-row-1550205.html

Noelys Guitar
23/11/2008, 2:52 PM
Reid starting today for Sunderland. Cisse will be happy. Colgan on the bench.

eirebhoy
23/11/2008, 3:56 PM
He put in 3 excellent crosses and hit the bar with a dipping shot but has been a bit sloppy the last 5 minutes failing to find a player with 3 passes in a row. Also a nice bit of skill to get Bowyer booked and looked to have outpaced Lucas Neil before being fouled outside the box. He was the one that committed the foul that led to the West Ham goal but I thought he won the ball. He'll always try the tough ball but that's what he's instructed I guess and Sunderland should definitely have scored from one of his crosses. Anyway, another half to come.

Not a fan of Richardson in the centre btw. He's a wide player for me and West Ham are definitely winning the midfield battle.

Colbert Report
23/11/2008, 4:27 PM
Reid is having an excellent game from what I see here. He is far too fat to be a Premiership player. I love him but he sticks out like a sore thumb. He's easily fifty pounds heavier than any other player his height at this level.

Colbert Report
23/11/2008, 4:29 PM
He was just subbed off on sixty six minutes. Looked absolutely knackered coming off the pitch. He needs to spend some time in the gym before Trap will take another look at him I think.

eirebhoy
23/11/2008, 4:42 PM
I actually thought he looked a lot thinner than usual (his jersey looked a couple of sizes to big). He always looks knackered. :) He was panting in the first half after his run against Neil. He could have well played on and should still be on tbh. He was only player creating anything.

Noelys Guitar
23/11/2008, 5:03 PM
I actually thought he looked a lot thinner than usual (his jersey looked a couple of sizes to big). He always looks knackered. :) He was panting in the first half after his run against Neil. He could have well played on and should still be on tbh. He was only player creating anything.

Agree. Reid looked Sunderland's best player. I can see Sunderland getting relegated. They look woeful. Keane had some neck slagging Jack's long ball tactics. Route 1 today from minute 1 to minute 94.

musicinmouth
23/11/2008, 7:02 PM
Yeah I agree too... I thought Reid was their only good player... he did lots of great crosses, kept the ball well and even did some good tackling... he did look exhausted, but it didn't seem to interfere with his game...

(and sunderland were pathetic!)

Fergie's Son
23/11/2008, 9:39 PM
He looked shattered. He had some bright moments but he gave the ball away several times and a number of his passes were utterly useless. He looked ok but nothing more than that.

NeilMcD
24/11/2008, 1:49 AM

Well I have that effect on players to be honest.

Stuttgart88
24/11/2008, 8:03 AM
Trap on the Andy Reid incident in Germany.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trapattoni-breaks-his-silence-on-reid-row-1550205.html

It’s suggested that others present dispute Trap’s version of events.

Sounds like Fanning sh1t stirring to me.

Either way, yet again we have our highly paid professional athletes showing lack of maturity, lack of professionalism and a lack of respect for seniority.

It’s 1am and you’ve been drinking since 10pm. Your manager says enough, time for bed. What kind of pr1ck would disregard the order? Where was the captain?

It makes me sick that I actually invest time getting worked up over these creeps.

irishfan86
24/11/2008, 8:18 AM
It’s suggested that others present dispute Trap’s version of events.

Sounds like Fanning sh1t stirring to me.

Either way, yet again we have our highly paid professional athletes showing lack of maturity, lack of professionalism and a lack of respect for seniority.

It’s 1am and you’ve been drinking since 10pm. Your manager says enough, time for bed. What kind of pr1ck would disregard the order? Where was the captain?

It makes me sick that I actually invest time getting worked up over these creeps.

First off, they're paid by their clubs, not the national side.

Second, Trap gave the thumbs up for the drinking.

I think this is being blown way out of proportion.

Team bonding sessions with some light drinking and singing is not the worst thing in the world, especially DAYS before a FRIENDLY.

Honestly think Reid is being punished for the type of player he is rather than this incident, thus making this "incident" moot.

ifk101
24/11/2008, 8:25 AM

Team bonding sessions with some light drinking and singing is not the worst thing in the world, especially before a FRIENDLY.

Honestly think Reid is being punished for the type of player he is rather than this incident, thus making this "incident" moot.

It wasn't before a friendly - it was between the Georgia and Montenegro games.

10 players broke curfew according to the article. From the article it is suggested that Andy Reid was most vocal in challenging Trapattoni when Trapattoni pointed out they had broken curfew.

This took place at 2am.

Players enjoy a drink as much as the rest of us and they were given the opportunity to do so after the Georgia game. Having an argument with the manager because you want to drink more is not acceptable.

Stuttgart88
24/11/2008, 8:31 AM

Team bonding sessions with some light drinking and singing is not the worst thing in the world, especially DAYS before a FRIENDLY.

Honestly think Reid is being punished for the type of player he is rather than this incident, thus making this "incident" moot.My point was more that once you're told to stop, you should stop. I can barely believe that 10 people in this squad would have such willful disregard for authority.

co. down green
24/11/2008, 8:39 AM
Trap says the incident did not sway his decision not to include Reid.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1124/1227293466680.html

paul_oshea
24/11/2008, 10:47 AM
saw MOTD2 last night and have to say that the only stuff they showed from the sunderland game, and it was one of 2 main games shown, was reid crossing and making most of the good plays. Everything of note came through him. That obviouslly doesn't show what he was doing wrong though.

drummerboy
24/11/2008, 11:10 AM
I watched Reid yesterday and he had a good game. Everything went through him for the hour he was on the pitch. When he was substituted Keane shook his hand as if to say well done but I was surprised to see him substituted. its hard to tell if he was tired but it woudl suggest that he can only last that long on the pitch.

Stuttgart88
24/11/2008, 11:49 AM
Reid was definitely guilty of giving the ball away. At one stage he gave it away 3 or 4 times in a row. I also thought he failed to flight his crosses well enough, regularly hitting the first defender or going over the two big lads' heads. However, he was still a cut above everyone else out there. He made room to receive the ball really well and was constantly trying to get others into the game. Anything decent that Sunderland did came through Reid. It looked like he lacked sharpness but he still looked a classy player.

Jack Charlton would have thought him a liability though!

DmanDmythDledge
24/11/2008, 1:37 PM
...but I was surprised to see him substituted. its hard to tell if he was tired but it woudl suggest that he can only last that long on the pitch.
What do all the times he's played 90 minutes + prove then? He hasn't that much game time recently so obviously isn't going to be 100% fit and able to last 90 minutes like he usually does. Just take a look at his stats from the past 3 seasons here (http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/playerDetails.xquery?playerID=23629&seasonID=136) and note all the 90 minutes he has played.

None of his coaches have ever complained about his fitness and have said that he is one of the fittest players in the squad. Some people just can't let the facts get in the way of having an agenda.

Noelys Guitar
24/11/2008, 1:53 PM
What do all the times he's played 90 minutes + prove then? He hasn't that much game time recently so obviously isn't going to be 100% fit and able to last 90 minutes like he usually does. Just take a look at his stats from the past 3 seasons here (http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroad/playerDetails.xquery?playerID=23629&seasonID=136) and note all the 90 minutes he has played.

None of his coaches have ever complained about his fitness and have said that he is one of the fittest players in the squad. Some people just can't let the facts get in the way of having an agenda.

BBC player rater has Reid as Sunderland's best player.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/live_text/6276703.stm

CraftyToePoke
24/11/2008, 2:13 PM
I thought he was the Sunderland player who looked most likely to create an opening yesterday, without ever actually doing so. Some of the crosses were a bit hopefull but there were plenty of them at least. Also I thought he had faded in the 5/10 mins before being subbed.

What im more curious about is Trapps mention of there being 10 players in this incident, and why Andy Reid is the one singled out. Strange.

Is it because he was the one with the guitar? :) Guitargate, is it.....

dr_peepee
24/11/2008, 2:14 PM

Has that ever actually been said though? Someone else asked the same thing some time ago on a thread. This talk about Reid stats being up there with the best...

DmanDmythDledge
24/11/2008, 2:20 PM
Has that ever actually been said though? Someone else asked the same thing some time ago on a thread. This talk about Reid stats being up there with the best...
Martin Jol:

Tottenham Hotspur boss Martin Jol has rubbished Gary Megson's claims that Andy Reid is overweight.
Republic of Ireland ace Reid was sold to Spurs by Nottingham Forest manager Megson during the January transfer window.

But, following, the FA Cup fifth round meeting between the two teams last week, Megson suggested Reid was carrying a bit of extra condition.

Though Reid did not play in the 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane due to being cup-tied, Megson claimed Spurs would not get the best out of the winger until he was in trim shape.

Megson's comments have irked Jol, who insists the 22-year-old's fitness is not a cause for concern.

Jol has carried out stringent tests on Reid and has told Megson that appearances can be deceptive.

"We did tests with Andy last week and it showed that he is one of the fittest players at the club," said Jol.

"Andy is not Gary Megson's responsibility any more. He is our player and we believe he is in good condition. It's not a problem for us.

"Andy knows his fitness. He is a small guy so maybe he looks a little out of shape but I tell you he isn't.

"It is not an issue. His heart rate was excellent. His recovery was terrific and I have no complaints.

"We conducted some body fat tests on him and the results were good."

and Les Reed:
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=25561

"He is fit. You have only got to look at the amount of running he was doing and how he was still going at the end to see that.

"He’s never talked about his weight to me. Maybe it gets to him but it certainly doesn’t bother him and it won’t stop him playing. He’s always going to be stocky. Ferenc Puskas died recently, but he might have been the original Andy Reid!"

SkStu
24/11/2008, 3:45 PM
the same Jol and Spurs that were hoping to sell him quicksmart.... hmmmm.....

irishfan86
24/11/2008, 5:36 PM
the same Jol and Spurs that were hoping to sell him quicksmart.... hmmmm.....

That article came out shortly after his transfer to Spurs. Andy Reid was actually one of Spurs best players in the second half of that season after his transfer, playing down the outside left.

I think he struggled with injury during the following pre-season and never regained his starting place.

eirebhoy
24/11/2008, 7:52 PM
I thought that 5 minute period before the first half was the only time he really did give the ball away. The fact he failed to find a Sunderland player with 4 passes in a row (2 short passes and 2 low crosses) obviously made it stick out but over the whole game he didn't give it away much.

Stuttgart88
25/11/2008, 7:38 AM
Today's Indo makes quite a bit of the fact that these pr1cks even were having a drinking session in the first place. You’ve got to ask the question if they were away with their clubs would they have done it.

irishfan86
25/11/2008, 8:11 AM
To be honest I'm surprised by these vitriolic reactions Stutts.

I know that in this ultra-scientific era every dietary and fitness issue is scrupulously examined, but this incident was a post-match drink or two, a few days before a match.

This wasn't the night before, it was a couple of nights before a game.

I have no problem with the lads having a drink or two after a match.

Obviously if they're getting hammered the night before a game it's a different story, but I think calling these guys "pr1cks" for having a drink and a sing-song days before their next match is a bit much.

Ultimately, there's a big difference between having a drink or two, and getting hammered, and I'm not willing to assume that the latter happened without concrete proof.

paul_oshea
25/11/2008, 8:29 AM
the indo has nothing better to do, a few drinks 4 nights before a game is not a bad thing.

In fact 10 lads together having a sing-song shows camraderie and is good for team bonding, is shows there is a togetherness amongst them.

NeilMcD
25/11/2008, 9:38 AM
However when they are told to go to bed by the manager and 2 in the morning as they have work the next day, they should go to bed.

Wheels
25/11/2008, 9:40 AM
Have a read of the Indo article (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/double-standard-1551848.html). I think it's quite good. Makes the point that the SANCTIONED drinking session was just after physical exertion, which they say is not recommended by medical practicioners...

The article is quite critical of Trap. For allowing the drinking in the first place and also for his treatment of Reid and absence from games. I agree with a lot of it.

paul_oshea
25/11/2008, 10:22 AM
Of course yes, going to bed by the curfew should be abided by.

Trap, I would say didn't actually realise that the irish players liked their drink, he said about beer all over the table. He obviouslly thought they would be singing with little alcohol comsumption and hence why he said it was like a pub and realises he shouldn't have given the go ahead in the first place. This is probably why he was so annoyed with Reid, as he saw him as an instigator, when he should be the first to bed, given the fact he wasn't in the team and should be trying to impress the manager. I would say that he was also upset with BRady as he was in the thick of it too and suggested reid to get the guitar out.

NeilMcD
25/11/2008, 10:57 AM
Have a read of the Indo article (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/double-standard-1551848.html). I think it's quite good. Makes the point that the SANCTIONED drinking session was just after physical exertion, which they say is not recommended by medical practicioners...

The article is quite critical of Trap. For allowing the drinking in the first place and also for his treatment of Reid and absence from games. I agree with a lot of it.

I think this is a better article by the great James Lawton.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/irish-boss-misses-golden-chance-to-lay-down-authority-1551695.html

dr_peepee
25/11/2008, 1:20 PM
It's a non-issue. Andy was out of Trap's first team plans long before this happened. Granted, when Steven Reid was there it wasn't as much of an issue as it is now but still I don't think he'd have done anything differently if this incident didn't happen.

I dunno... I reckon he would've started last week when Keane pulled out had their relationship (whatever it is) been better...

jbyrne
25/11/2008, 2:35 PM
I know that in this ultra-scientific era every dietary and fitness issue is scrupulously examined, but this incident was a post-match drink or two, a few days before a match.

This wasn't the night before, it was a couple of nights before a game.

I have no problem with the lads having a drink or two after a match.

rumour has it that it was far more than "a drink or two". also, most gaa championship players in large stay off the sauce for the entire championship. if its advisable for amateurs surely its obligitory for professionals?

capello has introduced similar rules and strictness for england and look at their recent form compared to where they where under mcclaren. if they dont like it they can disappear. i go without lots of things so i can afford to follow the team so surely they can do what they are told while having the privilage to be on international duty

tetsujin1979
25/11/2008, 3:12 PM
rumour has it that it was far more than "a drink or two". also, most gaa championship players in large stay off the sauce for the entire championship. if its advisable for amateurs surely its obligitory for professionals?
Limerick's team definitely didn't (and look what happened to them), and if the others are teetotal for the Championship, what are they like for the other months of the year?