PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers want their ball back

seand
04/12/2015, 11:38 AM
There's been a fair bit of coverage on social media and web about Shamrock Rovers "Give Us Our Ball Back!" campaign
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4115-give-us-our-ball-back
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1202/750787-shamrock-rovers-want-their-ball-back/

Basically the club were presented with a signed match ball after the European Cup game against Man United in 1957. It's signed by the Busby Babes shortly before the Munich disaster and is a very significant piece of Irish (and Man Utd) football history. It's up for auction in a couple of weeks.

I'm a bit confused about the campaign though. Rovers seem to want the ball, but it's not entirely clear what they want to do about it. It doesn't seem like they want to bid on it (and I'd guess it'd go for 5-10k), their campaign flyer says "sadly it's up for auction"..."we want it back! Can you help us?" and an email address. Are they appealling for financial aid to make a bid, or something else? It's all a bit vague. It looks to me like they're trying to suggest it is/should be the property of the club, though it was in the possession of the family of a former player. I'm sure plenty of memorabilia etc went walkabout during the post-Milltown to Tallaght era when the club went thru numerous owners and temporary homes. Are they looking for a way to dispute ownership, I wonder?

GCdfc
04/12/2015, 12:31 PM
They could cut the squad by one fringe player and that would make them enough to buy it themselves.

Redzer
04/12/2015, 4:42 PM
They could cut the squad by one fringe player and that would make them enough to buy it themselves.
Or they could ask their friends up the road, who stole the drum of the lad in Sligo to get it for them.:think:

Charlie Darwin
05/12/2015, 2:18 AM
There's been a fair bit of coverage on social media and web about Shamrock Rovers "Give Us Our Ball Back!" campaign
http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/news/latest-news/4115-give-us-our-ball-back
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1202/750787-shamrock-rovers-want-their-ball-back/

Basically the club were presented with a signed match ball after the European Cup game against Man United in 1957. It's signed by the Busby Babes shortly before the Munich disaster and is a very significant piece of Irish (and Man Utd) football history. It's up for auction in a couple of weeks.

I'm a bit confused about the campaign though. Rovers seem to want the ball, but it's not entirely clear what they want to do about it. It doesn't seem like they want to bid on it (and I'd guess it'd go for 5-10k), their campaign flyer says "sadly it's up for auction"..."we want it back! Can you help us?" and an email address. Are they appealling for financial aid to make a bid, or something else? It's all a bit vague. It looks to me like they're trying to suggest it is/should be the property of the club, though it was in the possession of the family of a former player. I'm sure plenty of memorabilia etc went walkabout during the post-Milltown to Tallaght era when the club went thru numerous owners and temporary homes. Are they looking for a way to dispute ownership, I wonder?
The club didn't make the flyer and at the moment it's just an appeal for anybody to contribute any help they can.

The club was presented with the ball and it found its way out of the club at some stage, possibly post-Milltown as you say. No idea how it ended up wherever it did but I'd say the bit about it lying around on top of a wardrobe or whatever it was is 100% made up, as is them wanting it to find a "good home". They want a big pile of cash and good luck to them I suppose.

Straightstory
05/12/2015, 10:22 AM
Or they could ask their friends up the road, who stole the drum of the lad in Sligo to get it for them.:think:
What?!?

Kingswood Rover
05/12/2015, 11:11 AM
Good publicity for the club in a slack time, Be great if we swung the Elgin marbles to while we are at it.

The Donie Forde
05/12/2015, 1:14 PM
The club hasn't been the same since it lost its marbles.

Nesta99
05/12/2015, 11:53 PM
Good publicity for the club in a slack time, Be great if we swung the Elgin marbles to while we are at it.

Reading that quickly on my phone I thought you said Elding marbles! I was disappointed when I read it again...

SkStu
07/12/2015, 3:28 PM
they could offer 4% of what the auction list price is and see how they get on?

Ezeikial
07/12/2015, 5:08 PM

you are a cruel man

placid casual
07/12/2015, 5:28 PM

Or we could ask the FAI to buy the ball for us,give it away again,and then ask them again to buy it for us.for a euro.
Its a tactic that worked for boez.

SkStu
07/12/2015, 5:33 PM
Or we could ask the ManU to buy the ball for us,give it away to a former player again,and then ask them anyone who will help again to buy it for us.for a sh1tload of euros.

haha - isn't that exactly what youre trying though?? :) :)

ah the bants.

BonnieShels
07/12/2015, 6:50 PM
haha - isn't that exactly what youre trying though?? :) :)

ah the bants.

You could do that twice anyway.

---

If only Ollie was still around with his biscuit tin. I'm sure he'd raise a few bob.

Nesta99
07/12/2015, 9:06 PM
Or we could ask the FAI to buy the ball for us,give it away again,and then ask them again to buy it for us.for a euro.

Youd have been better laughing it off as a smart post and admitting it was a good one. Any attempt to spar back was going to look as desperate to get a dig back!