PDA

View Full Version : 2016 League of Ireland.

Pages : [1] 2

nigel-harps1954
24/11/2015, 7:54 PM
The 2016 SSE Airtricity League season will commence on Friday, March 4, 2016.The EA SPORTS Cup Final will take place on Saturday, September 17, 2016 and the Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup Final will take place at the Aviva Stadium on Sunday, November 6, 2016.

The Mid-Season break will commence on Monday, June 6 and run until Thursday, June 23 (both dates inclusive). The League will recommence on Friday, June 24, with a full programme of fixtures.

This is a rest-day during the EURO 2016 Championship Finals.

oldfan
08/01/2016, 7:13 PM
When will we see the real (1st Division) LOI fixtures?:)

fionnsci
11/01/2016, 11:26 AM
Is there any talk of new (or old) teams joining the First Division this year?

Martinho II
11/01/2016, 9:24 PM
Is there any talk of new (or old) teams joining the First Division this year?

St Kevins Boys has being the talk of the preseason so far!

fionnsci
11/01/2016, 10:14 PM
St Kevins Boys has being the talk of the preseason so far!

Cool, thanks. Obviously would prefer more provincial sides to another Dublin side but if they can replicate what Cabo are doing then I don't see why not. Only a stone's throw from Morton Stadium.

Hopefully the underage leagues will also prompt the likes of Monaghan, Kilkenny, Newbridge (Kildare County) to get back involved in some capacity. An 8 team division is a bit meagre.

gufc2000
11/01/2016, 10:32 PM
Has there been anything about St Kevins since the summer rumours? Good to see Kerry and Monaghan/Cavan in the U-17 League. It would take a while before these will graduate to senior level if at all you'd imagine

Charlie Darwin
11/01/2016, 11:29 PM
Kevin's are unlikely to be admitted, this year anyway.

outspoken
12/01/2016, 12:38 AM
Didn't know Cavan/Monaghan had entered the 17's. It's safe to say Cavan will never ever ever have a LOI team, be great to see Monaghan back though.

White Horse
12/01/2016, 7:19 AM
Didn't know Cavan/Monaghan had entered the 17's. It's safe to say Cavan will never ever ever have a LOI team, be great to see Monaghan back though.

And they would run into the same problem again.

Mr A
12/01/2016, 8:23 AM
Monaghan were stable for a long time before they pushed the boat out the year they folded. But they never really were able to draw crowds / support from the area so it'd be hard to convince people to put the shoulders to the wheel and re-enter the senior game.

nigel-harps1954
12/01/2016, 11:05 AM

Cavan/Monaghan is the one side.

gufcfan
12/01/2016, 1:33 PM
So Cavan/Monaghan were admitted to the 17s, but Galway United are excluded. Almost as if league rules are rewritten behind the scenes. Funny that.

Fielding youth teams in a national league is expensive, but this is a ridiculous situation. The usual player factories in Dublin were (rightly) excluded, but two junior clubs in Galway are special somehow?

Nesta99
12/01/2016, 3:32 PM
You may have answered your own question a bit - is it possible the FAI are aware of the financial burden of running youth teams and are holding Galway back a bit from broadening the player base too quickly. Cavan/Monaghan without a senior setup would manage ok. Wonder if they will play out of Gortakeegan?

gufc2000
12/01/2016, 3:34 PM
You may have answered your own question a bit - is it possible the FAI are aware of the financial burden of running youth teams and are holding Galway back a bit from broadening the player base too quickly. Cavan/Monaghan without a senior setup would manage ok. Wonder if they will play out of Gortakeegan?
They did in the U-17 season just gone so I assume they'll do so again

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2016, 3:55 PM
It's the other way round as far as I know. The original deal was that GUFC weren't allowed to field any underage teams but when the u17 league came in Mervue and Salthill realised they couldn't afford to run both them and an u19 team and Galway bailed them out.

NeverFeltBetter
12/01/2016, 4:22 PM
A better question to ask is if any of the existing First Division teams is thinking of packing it in. Are Cabinteely happy enough? Was the Drogs chairman just blustering?

Nesta99
12/01/2016, 9:03 PM
It's the other way round as far as I know. The original deal was that GUFC weren't allowed to field any underage teams but when the u17 league came in Mervue and Salthill realised they couldn't afford to run both them and an u19 team and Galway bailed them out.

Its never a surprise when someone is complicating things with obstruction. So is it a case that Galway is paying for an U17 team in Galway or that one just doesnt exist due to previous arrangements when Galway Utd were joining the league. I no little about the underage setup in general but it would be ironic if Salthill and Mervue blocked Galway from running underage teams, realised then that this insistence would overstretch them and it ended up that none had an U17 team.

Charlie Darwin
12/01/2016, 10:08 PM
Its never a surprise when someone is complicating things with obstruction. So is it a case that Galway is paying for an U17 team in Galway or that one just doesnt exist due to previous arrangements when Galway Utd were joining the league. I no little about the underage setup in general but it would be ironic if Salthill and Mervue blocked Galway from running underage teams, realised then that this insistence would overstretch them and it ended up that none had an U17 team.
That's precisely what happened from what I've been told. Because the FAI insisted that Salthill and Mervue had to be part of GUFC before it would be allowed to apply to the league, Salthill and Mervue were able to make it a pre-condition that GUFC doesn't compete in underage football. I'm guessing they didn't foresee the u17 league happening so quickly.

Mr A
13/01/2016, 10:21 AM
Bray's Denis O'Connor gets a mention here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/michael-lowry-echoes-of-tribunal-as-td-s-case-begins-1.2494510

Link via twitter- https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/687184417224142849

sulywaterfordfc
20/01/2016, 11:42 AM
First Division fixtures to be released tomorrow

KeepersBall
20/01/2016, 10:09 PM
First Division fixtures to be released tomorrow Released or will they escape

ybig
20/01/2016, 11:13 PM
Released or will they escape

On bail, a man by the name of John Delaney is plannning to put the problem child back inside.

joey B
12/02/2016, 9:48 PM
Question for those in the know,What clubs are completely full time and which aren't??

Martinho II
12/02/2016, 10:40 PM
Question for those in the know,What clubs are completely full time and which aren't??

we are not 100%.

Charlie Darwin
12/02/2016, 10:49 PM
Rovers, Dundalk, Cork, Sligo and I think Galway all train during the day. Limerick did last year and I assume will again.
Longford, Bray, Bohs, Harps and Wexford are all part-time.
Pats and Derry I don't know, imagine Pats might be part-time and Derry full.

dundalkfc10
13/02/2016, 1:17 PM
Rovers, Dundalk, Cork, Sligo and I think Galway all train during the day. Limerick did last year and I assume will again.

Dundalk train in the evenings

Sam_Heggy
13/02/2016, 1:22 PM
Did Bray not announce that they were going full time this year too? Or did I imagine that?

Martinho II
13/02/2016, 10:45 PM
Did Bray not announce that they were going full time this year too? Or did I imagine that?

I assume they must be full time if they are givin their players two yr deals!

pineapple stu
14/02/2016, 10:16 AM
You can give a two-year deal on €100 a week sure.

PartySaint
15/02/2016, 8:48 AM

Pats train during the day as well.

Aaron
15/02/2016, 8:56 AM
We're full time, Shiels has brought a lot more professionalism that hasnt been here in years.

colonelwest
15/02/2016, 1:00 PM
Dundalk is a mix, evening training but a fair amount of the squad are full time and train during the day too, some are part time like Massey & McMillan off the top of my head.

oriel
15/02/2016, 6:26 PM
Massey (electrical) and McMillan (architect) are the two with full time careers, however Massey took a career leave last season and McMillan has a part time arrangement with his employer. Gartland and O'Donnell do coaching, Basket Ball and DKIT football respectively, Rogers also does some GAA coaching I think, the rest are all primarily FT.

outspoken
15/02/2016, 7:05 PM
Massey (electrical) and McMillan (architect) are the two with full time careers, however Massey took a career leave last season and McMillan has a part time arrangement with his employer. Gartland and O'Donnell do coaching, Basket Ball and DKIT football respectively, Rogers also does some GAA coaching I think, the rest are all primarily FT.

You mean gaa coaching isn't voluntary. 😬

Nesta99
16/02/2016, 10:35 AM
You mean gaa coaching isn't voluntary. 

Of course it is! They only get expenses up to 100k depending on the county but a house and car are big expenses like...

sundance kid
16/02/2016, 10:56 AM
Dundalk have been doing some training in Abbotstown during the day recently.

ThePrisoner
16/02/2016, 2:28 PM
Anybody know when the club licences will be issued?

atfconline
16/02/2016, 3:19 PM
Cobh have just announced on Twitter they've got theirs.

nigel-harps1954
16/02/2016, 3:20 PM
Harps have got Premier licence too.

Yossarian
16/02/2016, 3:29 PM
As have Dundalk, despite our former owners best efforts.

White Horse
16/02/2016, 3:31 PM
As have Dundalk, despite our former owners best efforts.

That puts him back in his box.

atfconline
16/02/2016, 3:54 PM
Premier Division Licence for Athlone.

http://athlonetownfc.ie/athlone-town-awarded-premier-division-licence/

gael353
16/02/2016, 3:57 PM
Limerick have gotten a premier licence

nigel-harps1954
16/02/2016, 4:06 PM
Waterford and Pats are two more to have got a Premier Licence.

Mr A
16/02/2016, 4:10 PM
Premier Division:
Athlone Town FC, Bohemian FC, Bray Wanderers FC, Cork City FC, Derry City FC, Drogheda United FC, Dundalk FC, Finn Harps FC, Galway United FC, Limerick FC, Longford Town FC, Shamrock Rovers FC, Sligo Rovers FC, St. Patrick's Athletic FC, Waterford United FC, Wexford Youths FC.

First Division:
Cabinteely FC, Cobh Ramblers FC, UCD FC, Shelbourne FC.

Source: http://sseairtricityleague.ie/news/6580-all-clubs-awarded-licences

Sam_Heggy
16/02/2016, 4:22 PM
Premier Division:
Athlone Town FC, Bohemian FC, Bray Wanderers FC, Cork City FC, Derry City FC, Drogheda United FC, Dundalk FC, Finn Harps FC, Galway United FC, Limerick FC, Longford Town FC, Shamrock Rovers FC, Sligo Rovers FC, St. Patrick's Athletic FC, Waterford United FC, Wexford Youths FC.

First Division:
Cabinteely FC, Cobh Ramblers FC, UCD FC, Shelbourne FC.

Source: http://sseairtricityleague.ie/news/6580-all-clubs-awarded-licences

Either licensing has been relaxed or clubs are starting to get their houses in order. No matter, great to see so many Premier licenses and no drama.

Now bring on the football.

Dodge
16/02/2016, 4:23 PM
No matter, great to see so many Premier licenses and no drama.

Speak for yourself. Some of us love the drama

atfconline
16/02/2016, 4:31 PM
Waterford have said theirs is pending the signing of a document by the end of the month.

Longfordian
16/02/2016, 5:33 PM
Waterford have said theirs is pending the signing of a document by the end of the month.

That'd be a fail back in the old days and we'd have an appeal and two weeks of speculation and rumours. It's no craic any more.

NeverFeltBetter
16/02/2016, 5:55 PM
There were a few worried speculations among Limerick fans, so I'm pretty happy with the lack of drama. Seems like the off-season has flown for me.