PDA

View Full Version : European Championships - France 2016

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

swinfordfc
16/11/2015, 11:08 PM
Okay Lads!

I'm guessing we be in Pot 4 for the draw in December?

NeverFeltBetter
16/11/2015, 11:54 PM
For certain, with Wales, Albania, Iceland and the north.

BonnieShels
17/11/2015, 12:08 AM
Which one of us is getting England? We're due.

backstothewall
17/11/2015, 12:27 AM
What about playing the north on 12th July for a bit of craic?

The Fly
17/11/2015, 1:35 AM
Right Roy get the hotel booked!

SkStu
17/11/2015, 3:28 AM
Any dodgy pitches in Guernsey?

thischarmingman
17/11/2015, 4:23 AM
England please!

gastric
17/11/2015, 7:06 AM
Germany please!

Deckydee
17/11/2015, 7:27 AM
Belgium please :)

pineapple stu
17/11/2015, 8:21 AM
Hungary please!

Might squeak through as a best third-place team. :)

tetsujin1979
17/11/2015, 12:34 PM
Seedings confirmed by UEFA: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/finals/news/newsid=2305797.html#how+euro+2016+draw+pots+could

NeverFeltBetter
17/11/2015, 9:06 PM
Pot One:
France
Spain
Germany
England
Portugal
Belgium

Pot Two
Italy
Russia
Switzerland
Austria
Croatia
Ukraine

Pot Three
Czech Republic
Sweden
Poland
Romania
Slovakia
Hungary

Pot Four
Turkey
Republic Of Ireland
Iceland
Wales
Albania
Northern Ireland

I'm thinking a group of England, Ukraine and Hungary would be a good draw, especially considering four of the 6 third placed teams will advance. Nightmare would be Germany (they'd love to have a crack at us again I'm sure, and hard to pull the same trick three times), Italy and the Czech's.

OwlsFan
18/11/2015, 9:29 AM
No one to fear in Pot 3 unlike the last Euros. Best draw England, Austria, Hungary, Ireland. Worst: Germany (yes, despite the 4 points) or Spain, Italy, Poland, Ireland.

NeverFeltBetter
18/11/2015, 9:34 AM
I'm weirdly delighted we can't get Iceland, even if it means we're both lower seeds. They are going to take some scalps. The North have one in them as well, for sure.

OwlsFan
18/11/2015, 10:09 AM
Was surprised to see that of the 24 teams, we are the 23rd ranked side. So who is below us? Albania ? Norn Iron ? Iceland ? No. Sweden. So much for rankings.

DeLorean
18/11/2015, 10:40 AM
No one to fear in Pot 3 unlike the last Euros. Best draw England, Austria, Hungary, Ireland. Worst: Germany (yes, despite the 4 points) or Spain, Italy, Poland, Ireland.

I think Austria might be the toughest second seed, along with Italy of course. They won nine in a row in qualifying after drawing their opening match, a run that included a double over Russia and Montenegro and a 4-1 win in Sweden. I'd prefer Switzerland, Russia or Ukraine from that list.

pineapple stu
18/11/2015, 10:55 AM
Would like to avoid Austria because a loss there could give them a bit of a psychological edge going into the World Cup qualifiers; we travel to Vienna in November.

Small matter really, but still. Croatia, Ukraine, Switzerland or Russia as second seeds doesn't sound too bad.

DeLorean
18/11/2015, 11:12 AM
Best-

Portugal (avoiding England/France possibly better for security reasons maybe, wouldn't mind a crack at Belgium either, gigantically overrated)
Switzerland (would take a boring 0-0 draw)
Hungary (or Slovakia maybe, they've never beaten us)
Ireland

Worst-

Spain (Still the best in the world I think)
Italy
Czech Rep
Ireland

backstothewall
18/11/2015, 12:41 PM
Was surprised to see that of the 24 teams, we are the 23rd ranked side. So who is below us? Albania ? Norn Iron ? Iceland ? No. Sweden. So much for rankings.

Technically we're ranked 20th. UEFA have their own system, which places Iceland, Wales, Albania & Northern Ireland below us. Makes no difference to our pot but it makes a huge difference for Sweden who would be lowest ranked under the FIFA system, but are in Pot 3 using the UEFA one.

pineapple stu
18/11/2015, 12:49 PM
He meant in the FIFA world rankings - where we're ranked 23rd of the 24 teams, ahead only of Sweden.

UEFA rankings have Sweden in pot 3 though.

geysir
18/11/2015, 2:49 PM
Best-

Portugal (avoiding England/France possibly better for security reasons maybe, wouldn't mind a crack at Belgium either, gigantically overrated)
Switzerland (would take a boring 0-0 draw)
Hungary (or Slovakia maybe, they've never beaten us)
Ireland

Worst-

Spain (Still the best in the world I think)
Italy
Czech Rep
Ireland
Shouldn't it go without actually typing it out (twice), that Ireland is our 4th pot choice?

Closed Account
18/11/2015, 2:50 PM
By the time the draw is done, we'll be 31st in the World, or thereabouts. 20th of the 24 teams.
The best draw we could get based on lowest World Rankings is France (25th), Ukraine(29th), Sweden(35th), Ireland(31st). Wouldn't fancy that much.

And the worst based on rankings is Belgium(1st), Austria(10th), Romania(16th), Ireland(31st). Which I prefer the look of. Strange.

tetsujin1979
18/11/2015, 3:39 PM
France have dropped down the rankings after not playing any competitive games while the qualifiers were going on.

NeverFeltBetter
18/11/2015, 9:55 PM
Yeah, as much as a competitive game against France would be en enticing prospect, for obvious reasons, I don't think you ever want to come up against the hosts.

Crosby87
18/11/2015, 11:19 PM
It's all going to come down to our overall health. We have at least 3 key injuries between now and the Summer that will put who knows fitness in peril. At least 3.

Crosby87
18/11/2015, 11:28 PM
Do you remember the first game we played in Euro 2012? Vs Croatia? I remember we tied it at one but then things went downhill and we could all tell it was going to be a short trip. Lalas was laughing at Tommy Smith in the ESPN studios for saying Ireland were even mediocre. I said to myself; "Barbara, this team is not so good." Here was the starting lineup.

Given
Ward
Josh
Ssl
Dunne
McGeady
Duff
Whelan
K Andrews
Keane
Doyle
Subs used: Long, Cox, Walters.

Duff and Dunne were on last legs, Robbie was getting close, my point is we could be much stronger this time. Or am i wrong?

MeathDrog
19/11/2015, 12:13 AM
This is a better team than '12, no doubt about it.

NeverFeltBetter
19/11/2015, 12:37 AM
Marginally better I'd say. Genuinely not all that much in the difference player for player, but big difference in confidence/coaching over last few games.

jbyrne
19/11/2015, 9:31 AM
Marginally better I'd say. Genuinely not all that much in the difference player for player, but big difference in confidence/coaching over last few games.

the added youth of coleman, McCarthy, mclean and brady is also a big difference between then and now

pineapple stu
19/11/2015, 10:08 AM
McClean was there in 2012 as well. Not sure why Coleman missed out - maybe wasn't established enough. Ditto James McCarthy.

Have to say the age of the squad worries me. There's three who are 23 - Christie, Brady and Hendrick. Arter and McCarthy are 25. The average age of the squad v Bosnia was 28½ - three months older than the Euro 2012 squad. And there's not one player in the under-21 set-up who has a senior cap - or even have been called up to the senior squad in the past 12 months. We've practically no young forwards coming through - Long (age 28) is as good as it gets really. By contrast, Albania have a 18-year-old forward in their senior squad who scored on his debut and recently signed for Internazionale. The most recent Iceland squad had seven players under 23, five of whom have caps. There's other examples at other smaller countries too.

I think we'll do ok at this Euros - better than last time - but I'd be worried about the next four years as players retire and we're not replacing them quickly enough.

But will save that worry for after the summer!

tetsujin1979
19/11/2015, 10:49 AM
McClean was there in 2012 as well. Not sure why Coleman missed out - maybe wasn't established enough. Ditto James McCarthy.

Have to say the age of the squad worries me. There's three who are 23 - Christie, Brady and Hendrick. Arter and McCarthy are 25. The average age of the squad v Bosnia was 28½ - three months older than the Euro 2012 squad. And there's not one player in the under-21 set-up who has a senior cap - or even have been called up to the senior squad in the past 12 months. We've practically no young forwards coming through - Long (age 28) is as good as it gets really. By contrast, Albania have a 18-year-old forward in their senior squad who scored on his debut and recently signed for Internazionale. The most recent Iceland squad had seven players under 23, five of whom have caps. There's other examples at other smaller countries too.

I think we'll do ok at this Euros - better than last time - but I'd be worried about the next four years as players retire and we're not replacing them quickly enough.

But will save that worry for after the summer!
This became one of the sticks to beat Trapattoni after Euro 2012, why wasn't Coleman there. The simple truth was he had a pretty poor season in 2011/2012. He only started 17 of Everton's 47 games, but the majority of those were before Christmas. Coleman only started four games betweem January and May 2012, two in the league and two in the cup. John O'Shea was the established right full and Kevin Foley was initially selected as cover, but lost out to Paul McShane because he could cover both right full and centre half. In any case, I don't remember too many people being bothered about Coleman missing out when the squad was announced, as I said it was only in the following 12 months, when he had an excellent season in 2012/13, that people started to question the decision of not bringing him to Poland.

jbyrne
19/11/2015, 11:20 AM

the point being that they were not in the team in 2012. I think mcclean got about 20mins in total at then euros and they other two were not in the squad based on form and family reasons in the case of mccarthy. colemans club form in the build-up to 2012 euros was dreadful from memory

pineapple stu
19/11/2015, 11:30 AM
20 minutes is about all I'd give McClean next year too. :)

Coleman's 27 btw - not exactly "added youth"

We're better equipped for next year - but I think it is more down to coaching/confidence rather than the players. And let's obviously touch wood that we don't get the injuries we did in 2012 (Given/Dunne in particular)

BonnieShels
19/11/2015, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't mind Given being completely crocked again the summer.

boysingreen
19/11/2015, 12:04 PM
Four of the six third placed teams advance? Music to my ears heh.

Before hearing that my goal was to still be in contention come the third group game, but now my mind is wandering!

DeLorean
19/11/2015, 3:54 PM
http://www.live-production.tv/sites/default/files/styles/original_image_with_copyright/public/UEFA_EURO_2016_Venues.jpg?itok=AZDmfFXE

Would I be correct in assuming we'll be either A4, B4, C4, etc? I know France are automatically A1 but does this mean the rest of the Pot 1's will be B1, C1, etc. If this is the case then these are the possible venues for our group games:

Game No.
A
B
C
D
E
F

Lens
Bordeaux
Nice
Paris
Saint Denis
Bordeaux

Paris
Lille
Lyon
Saint-Étienne
Toulouse
Marseille

Lille
Saint-Étienne
Paris
Bordeaux
Nice
Lyon

Crosby87
19/11/2015, 4:21 PM
I always wanted to go to Marseille. Have any of you been? Ill get a beret and a pack of smokes. Cough. maybe some of you can cycle from Nice to Marseille.

jbyrne
19/11/2015, 4:37 PM
was in Bordeaux for RWC 2007 and is a great city. great transport system, super weather, lots of great pubs and decent amount of accommodation.

OwlsFan
19/11/2015, 4:40 PM
I have been in Nice. My brother has a house on the outskirts. He should be afraid, be very afraid.

DannyInvincible
19/11/2015, 5:12 PM
I have been in Nice. My brother has a house on the outskirts. He should be afraid, be very afraid.

Was in Nice and the surrounding area years ago myself. My friend's family have a house near Montpellier-Nîmes-Marseille. They should be afraid, be very afraid.

backstothewall
19/11/2015, 11:32 PM
I'm hoping NI end up based there. The feckers booked all the flights from Dublin to Paris when they qualified. I measured it on Google maps there the other day. If they end up based in Nice when they are picking up their bags at Paris CDG airport they will still have more than half their journey ahead of them.

thischarmingman
20/11/2015, 12:54 AM
For what's it's worth, The Telegraph's early prediction has us in the second round:

Martin O’Neill’s energy and organisation will make Ireland an awkward opponent for whoever they face, but the lack of quality in the side will be difficult to complete compensate for.

Robbie Keane, Jon Walters and Shane Long will never stop working, but you’d expect the continent’s best defences to be able to cope with them without too much difficulty.

Wes Hoolahan and Seamus Coleman will provide some class in midfield and defence, but a gritty second-round exit is the most likely outcome for the Irish.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/euro-2016/12001809/Euro-2016-Ranking-the-24-teams-qualified-for-France.html?frame=3503826

Hate slideshows? Use this link: http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?o=html_table&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootb all%2Feuro-2016%2F12001809%2FEuro-2016-Ranking-the-24-teams-qualified-for-France.html%3Fframe%3D3503826

Also, if you need a reminder of how seriously to take predictions:

With the qualification campaign for the 2016 UEFA European Championship to be held in France having begun in earnest earlier this week, we predict which 23 teams* will be joining the host nation in the tournament proper in two years’ time.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2192221-predicting-all-24-teams-that-will-be-at-euro-2016

De-slided here: http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?o=html_table&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F219 2221-predicting-all-24-teams-that-will-be-at-euro-2016

Charlie Darwin
20/11/2015, 1:33 AM
That deslide site is amazing.

tricky_colour
20/11/2015, 3:44 AM
We could be the dark horse of the tournament, either that or Delaney's Donkey.

Can't be any worse than last time (one would hope ;)).

https://nightcounter.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/donkey1.jpg

SkStu
20/11/2015, 4:20 AM
It all depends on the draw really. There are a couple of "easy" draws there that could see us get out of the group but theres quite a few stinkers too! If it is anything like last time, I don't see us getting out but I also don't see us being as humiliated as we were under Trap. Some of the potential draws that are in between easy and tough will see us needing to be playing at 100% for three games to have a chance to progress. But, we are a better TEAM than we were 4 years ago, less individual talent, sure, but we are a far better sum of our parts than 2012 - this makes it possible.

Integrating Arter, Judge, Byrne, Mason, Duffy and a few of the outsiders is crucial over the coming months. We need to take a look at what we have. There's some talent out there. I really hope MON uses the next few friendlies as a way to evaluate what we have that will a) provide value in France and b) be ready to go for the WC qualifiers.

Isn't it just f*ckin brilliant to be going though?

Kingdom
20/11/2015, 10:13 AM
http://www.live-production.tv/sites/default/files/styles/original_image_with_copyright/public/UEFA_EURO_2016_Venues.jpg?itok=AZDmfFXE

Would I be correct in assuming we'll be either A4, B4, C4, etc? ]

I did all that the other night, and then someone on here burst my bubble. I think we're drawn into a group and then a draw to assign each country to a number in that group. So we could be anything from A2 to F4

Kingdom
20/11/2015, 10:14 AM

Knock, Knock:

Stuttgart88
20/11/2015, 11:31 AM
Nice please. My in-laws have a holiday home nearby!

DeLorean
20/11/2015, 11:37 AM
I did all that the other night, and then someone on here burst my bubble. I think we're drawn into a group and then a draw to assign each country to a number in that group. So we could be anything from A2 to F4

Ha! I was afraid of that.

Kingdom
20/11/2015, 1:00 PM
It all depends on the draw really. There are a couple of "easy" draws there that could see us get out of the group but theres quite a few stinkers too! If it is anything like last time, I don't see us getting out but I also don't see us being as humiliated as we were under Trap. Some of the potential draws that are in between easy and tough will see us needing to be playing at 100% for three games to have a chance to progress. But, we are a better TEAM than we were 4 years ago, less individual talent, sure, but we are a far better sum of our parts than 2012 - this makes it possible.

Integrating Arter, Judge, Byrne, Mason, Duffy and a few of the outsiders is crucial over the coming months. We need to take a look at what we have. There's some talent out there. I really hope MON uses the next few friendlies as a way to evaluate what we have that will a) provide value in France and b) be ready to go for the WC qualifiers.

Isn't it just f*ckin brilliant to be going though?

Just thinking about it there, we're not in too bad of a position. We know what our first XI/15 are (more-or-less). They've introduced/forced a more condensed style of play (narrow midfield/no trad. wingers) not usually associated with O'Neill or Ireland.

However with McGeady's plight [thus removing him from the starting equation], the potential emergence of Arter, Judge, mcClean the <remote> possibility of Bamford, we potentially have better options to change the course of a game if we're at a stalemate, or chasing a game, than we have before. That is a nice thought. dare I say it, springing Long from the bench might not be a bad plan B.