PDA

View Full Version : Who robbed the Northern Bank?

Pages : [1] 2

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 12:22 PM
Estimates of up to EUR45 million stolen in bank heist (http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/12/21/story181420.html) This was some score if they get away with it.

A face
21/12/2004, 4:21 PM
They are saying that it'll be hard to move that much money, seeing as Northern Ireland is so small !! .... Anyone that did that job have thought about that already.

Question is .... they might have all that money, but will they be happy .... i know i sure as hell would !! :eek:

Anyone know how much the banks in Cork City carry at any one time ??? :p

joeSoap
21/12/2004, 4:54 PM
Thats an amazing amount of money, and by the sounds of it, the money would have been shipped across the water immediately, and distributed there.

What a coup....Maybe it was the directors of Linfield fc, and they're gonna try and sign Ronaldinho.. :D

fosterdollar
22/12/2004, 8:56 AM
Thats an amazing amount of money, and by the sounds of it, the money would have been shipped across the water immediately, and distributed there.

There's an element of difficulty in that given that each country in the UK has its own banknotes and it is duly noted when you try and use one type in another country. But i do agree that whoever did it has probably got lots of ways of putting it to use planned already

Lionel Ritchie
22/12/2004, 10:26 AM
There's an element of difficulty in that given that each country in the UK has its own banknotes and it is duly noted when you try and use one type in another country. But i do agree that whoever did it has probably got lots of ways of putting it to use planned already

Hmmm ...did someone say "IRA retirement fund"? :eek:
45 million bucks buys a lot of Donegal beachfront territory. :D

Aberdonian Stu
22/12/2004, 12:21 PM

The banknotes won't be as big a problem as you think. There are generic ones, like the ones you get at your bureau de change, and if the score contains plenty of these the only problem they'll have is laundering it.

liam88
22/12/2004, 9:10 PM
Terrible goings on; terrible for the victims (hostages) and may have serious aaffect on the peace process if there was paramillitary involvements.

PSNI have stated they are follwing up lines of inquiry on two external gangs, INLA, IRA and UDA.

Possibly set up a vote on who people think it was?

finlma
22/12/2004, 9:45 PM
I think its great and well pulled off. You have to admire how they did it. No one was injured and they got away with 22mil. Heist of the century. Sounds like the law don't have a clue who did it.

I often wondered if I spent 4 years planning a big bank robbery instead of going to university what would have happened.

It wasn't me by the way ;)

MariborKev
22/12/2004, 10:16 PM
Ollie Byrne :eek:

*Maribor would like to state that in the event of any future lawsuit, any likeness to Shelbourne's CEOs, dead or alive, is merely coincidental ;)

Beavis
22/12/2004, 10:24 PM
I think its great and well pulled off. You have to admire how they did it. No one was injured and they got away with 22mil. Heist of the century. Sounds like the law don't have a clue who did it.

Agreed if your cute enough to get away with a motha fooker like that I say fair play to them.

Éanna
22/12/2004, 10:33 PM
I No one was injured
one woman was blindfolded for hours. Many people would rather have got a few slaps. it must have been traumatic

liam88
22/12/2004, 10:46 PM
one woman was blindfolded for hours. Many people would rather have got a few slaps. it must have been traumatic

Aye-PSNI also said the perpetrators would have killed anyone not complying (ok...if they don't know who id it how do they know what they would have done? fair play). But still the woman was blindfolded-driven to a meadow and left there while, in typical paramilitarry style, they burnt her car. She then had to walk miles to the nearest house (think this was in Lock Neagh are) soaking wet an suffering from exposure :mad:

finlma
22/12/2004, 10:50 PM
Still - she wasn't really injured. A few emotional scars maybe but that will pass with time.
It was a bit of a mastermind to pull the robbery off - especially when there was 20 people involved. Wouldn't mind a piece of that pie.

Éanna
22/12/2004, 10:52 PM
Still - she wasn't really injured. A few emotional scars maybe but that will pass with time.
you reckon? I'd say that woman will be traumatised for years. Whats worse in your book- a belt over the back of the head and a few hours unconscious, followed by a day or two in hospital and no memory of what happened. Or being petrified every time your doorbell rings and being afraid to go out on your own? I'd take belt over the back of the head any day!

liam88
22/12/2004, 11:06 PM
wern't there children held hostage as well?

PSNI are very keen to stress that this is not a victimless crime

dahamsta
22/12/2004, 11:52 PM
It was me. I'm having Foot.ie gold-plated.

M@ttitude
23/12/2004, 2:34 AM
Breaking News, the blindfolded women was behind the whole thing! Traumatised me ar$e..

thecorner
23/12/2004, 3:19 AM
from www.breakingnews.ie

The gang behind the Northern Bank heist may be forced to dump more than half the cash, it emerged tonight.

Police chiefs hunting the robbers revealed most of the missing money is made up in new notes.

Money laundering experts in Britain believe it will be virtually impossible to shift the cash without raising suspicions.

With police refusing to rule out republican or loyalist paramilitary involvement in the raid, Jeffrey Robinson said: “If they are smart they will take the US dollars and euro that are there and burn the rest.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

brilliant country, even helping them along the way :D

fosterdollar
23/12/2004, 8:55 AM
I've heard reports though that the notes are mainly Northern Ireland ones. They have 40 detectives working on the case now. There will a lot of pressure on the PSNI to have something to show for after this

fosterdollar
23/12/2004, 9:01 AM
THE gang responsible for the world's biggest bank robbery may be unable to dispose of three-quarters of their loot.

The haul from the Northern Bank cash holding centre in Belfast was last night officially estimated at €32m. But the raiders, despite the meticulous planning and audacious methods employed to acquire the money, have yet to overcome their biggest obstacle - spending the loot without being caught.

It emerged yesterday that €18m was made up of new Northern Bank £20 and £10 notes, while another €2.25m consisted of new Northern Bank £100 and £50 notes. The bank will have full details of the serial numbers of the notes, rendering it effectively useless.

Another €5.1m was in used Northern Bank notes, which will be almost impossible to spend or launder without immediately arousing suspicion outside Northern Ireland.

This leaves the gang with only €7.5m in used notes from other banks and even then disposing of it is no longer an easy task because of the activities of bodies, such as the Assets Recovery Agency in the North and the Criminal Assets Bureau on this side of the brder.

As more details of the elaborately planned robbery were revealed yesterday, it emerged the gang were "forensically aware", dressing one woman hostage in blue overalls and trainers to help avoid leaving traces and cleaning up carefully to prevent fingerprints being left behind.

While questioning the two bank officials separately, the gang also displayed extensive knowledge of the layout of the bank building and its internal security system.

Inquiries so far have confirmed initial suspicions that the gang had inside information on how to overcome the obstacles mounted by the security procedures and alarms as well as the battery of CCTV cameras.

lopez
23/12/2004, 9:05 AM
Good point Corner: There may well have been a chance that they would go on an almighty tear with the loot and get caught. Not now, eh? I heard most of it was made up of Northern Bank's own notes. Dunno what it's like shifting them in the 26C, but it's next to f*cking impossible in Britain to get rid of in normal times.They'll stand out like a sore thumb now. As for Europe... :D :D :D ...yeah right. Got no sympathy for these people, even if they handed the money over to some worthy charity (and that doesn't include Prisoners Wives' Association or the Bolton Rehabilitation Fund).

KR's Post
23/12/2004, 9:26 AM
How much did 'The General' and his gang get away with in the O'Connor job in the early 90's or late 80's. i'm not sure. They must dump half the loot they got though as it looks so new that it would be easily identified...... serial numbers and the lot ;)

dublinred
23/12/2004, 9:46 AM
I reckon it was Colin Farrell , its similar to the plot in Intermission.

dublinred
23/12/2004, 12:53 PM
Who cares......'Der Banks' are all robbers themselves.......

Good point , they skim hundreds of millions every day in charges and extortionent rates yet a measly £26m goes missing and there is a big fuss.

lopez
23/12/2004, 1:38 PM
Good point , they skim hundreds of millions every day in charges and extortionent rates yet a measly £26m goes missing and there is a big fuss.Bunch of Shylocks allright and they'll be skimming a few hundred million more to make up this small shortfall. The customer is the one who'll pay, mark my words.

tricky_colour
23/12/2004, 3:32 PM

Aren't Iraqi 'suspects' hooded and bound?
(nothing to do with Ireland of course)

Éanna
23/12/2004, 4:11 PM
Aren't Iraqi 'suspects' hooded and bound?
(nothing to do with Ireland of course)
you mean when they're kidnapped and sent off to a period of indefinite torture- yeah they sure are. and we provide a nice, scenic refuelling spot for their captors

Risteard
24/12/2004, 6:55 AM
I'd say that woman will be traumatised for years. Whats worse in your book- a belt over the back of the head and a few hours unconscious, followed by a day or two in hospital and no memory of what happened. Or being petrified every time your doorbell rings and being afraid to go out on your own? I'd take belt over the back of the head any day!
Why would she have no memory of it?
Surely, She's likely to be more traumatised if she actually got hit.
As far as a big bank job goes, it couldn't have gone much smoother (no bullets etc.)
+ the money was insured.
First thing that occurred to me was the IRA RETIREMENT FUND.
Ironically, could be good for the North.

liam88
24/12/2004, 2:22 PM
Eastern Europe, middle east, Africa are all possible destinations for the money......that's where the IRA's other 'fundraisers' went :rolleyes:

oconghc2
24/12/2004, 5:45 PM
in all fairness liam they don't know who did it!! when we're talking paramilitary it seems a bit too easy to suggest republican paramilitary!!

fair enough there's a track record there but still i think people are too quick to listen to the hype! :)

dortie
28/12/2004, 12:03 PM
in all fairness liam they don't know who did it!! when we're talking paramilitary it seems a bit too easy to suggest republican paramilitary!!

fair enough there's a track record there but still i think people are too quick to listen to the hype! :)

True, and of course there is more than one IRA now.

Ruairi
28/12/2004, 12:10 PM
I haven't seen Eanna for a while, maybe he's lying low for some reason...

Fair_play_boy
28/12/2004, 1:21 PM
. . . This leaves the gang with only €7.5m in used notes . . . That will still buy a LOT of beer and pizza! :p

Éanna
28/12/2004, 1:56 PM
I haven't seen Eanna for a while, maybe he's lying low for some reason...
:D I've just been avoiding you cos you smell

drinkfeckarse
07/01/2005, 3:07 PM
I hear on the news now that they are now blaming the I.R.A. (not specified what spin off group).

The jist of it is that they say the I.R.A. are in their opinion to blame but they have no evidence. :rolleyes:

Nice to see not much has changed in the "new look" police force. No evidence but always good to have a scapegoat eh? :rolleyes:

They may well have been behind it but to say there is no concrete evidence and then say that is just stirring it and a shocking generalisation IMO.

fosterdollar
07/01/2005, 3:29 PM
we'll all find out who did it when the fillum comes out - just bide yer time lads ;)

dahamsta
07/01/2005, 6:42 PM
I hear on the news now that they are now blaming the I.R.A. (not specified what spin off group).Hugh Orde said (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4154657.stm) it was the Provos. I'd lay odds it's a setup to derail the peace process, either the whole thing (with a moolah kicker) or just the aftermath. But of course it could have been a setup by the Provos themselves, because they aren't happy with the way things are going, so who knows...

dancinpants
07/01/2005, 8:32 PM
I hear on the news now that they are now blaming the I.R.A. (not specified what spin off group).

Orde specified the Provos in his news conference.

Jon'o
07/01/2005, 8:42 PM
I havent seen paisley on tv for a while, maybe he's buying up the bling in new york or somewhere ;)

Risteard
07/01/2005, 11:03 PM
I am very very anti-Shinners/Provos but i must say this seems to stink a bit.
You can't say that without showing us the evidence.
I suspect he's correct but imagine how big this could backfire if he turned out wrong.

MariborKev
07/01/2005, 11:31 PM
Lads

Do you not think that Order considered all these possible consequences before he made this decision. I am sure he thought about the implications on a personal basis and the wider political spectrum. If he didn't believe there was value in doing this, or thought that there was significant doubt then he would not have done it.

Fair play to him, time the bank robbing murderers were challenged......

Éanna
08/01/2005, 1:53 PM
I don't trust Sinn Féin or the IRA, but i have to admit this constant mudslinging is getting on my nerves- McDowell is at it all the time. Fair enough, everyone is pretty sure they're up to no good, but how is it that people can go around making these allegations with no proof. It really is one law for some, one law for others. If they have proof, let them charge people, otherwise they should treat people with some respect. its all well and good saying "the dogs in the street know it"- that was the case involving some FF politicians and corruption too- but you would have landed in court if you'd said it to the press.

piratemousey
08/01/2005, 3:22 PM
the ira/sinn fein boys for sure.
oli.burn (ahem) was only looking for some jhonny blues and got involved. he scared the sh**e out of the woman when he turned to her and said that Schels would get into the champions league group stages.

dortie
08/01/2005, 4:19 PM
Lads

Do you not think that Order considered all these possible consequences before he made this decision. I am sure he thought about the implications on a personal basis and the wider political spectrum. If he didn't believe there was value in doing this, or thought that there was significant doubt then he would not have done it.

Fair play to him, time the bank robbing murderers were challenged......

What actual evidence did Mr PSNI/RUC actually produce for this statement ?
Im sure he is also well aware of the political Implications in declaring this, its the best way out of the GFA for the Unionists. Im sure they will be rubbing their hands at this."Thank you Mr Orde".

Dont know how long the remaining 'Pro-agreement' Republicans can put up with excuse after excuse and numerous stalling tactics by both Unionism and the British State. All they are doing is proving politics aint working. So in my opinion Ordes statement is not going to do this country any favours.

exile
08/01/2005, 4:40 PM
Im sure he is also well aware of the political Implications in declaring this, its the best way out of the GFA for the Unionists. Im sure they will be rubbing their hands at this."Thank you Mr Orde".

Dont know how long the remaining 'Pro-agreement' Republicans can put up with excuse after excuse and numerous stalling tactics by both Unionism and the British State. All they are doing is proving politics aint working. So in my opinion Ordes statement is not going to do this country any favours.

so ye wont be signing rolandinho then :p

Éanna
09/01/2005, 12:48 AM
exactly. FFS, if this was a specific criminal we were talking about, and he went out and blamed him without being able to prove it, he'd be open to a lawsuit. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if it WAS the IRA who did it, but in the absence of proof, people should watch their words

SaucyJack
09/01/2005, 10:24 PM
gets more kooky (http://www.sundayherald.com/47026)

SÓC
09/01/2005, 11:01 PM
Like people have said it most likely was the Provos but I dont like the way everybody has taken the word of a bloody Gman as gospel.

Proof cannot just be pubished during an ongoing criminal investigation but neither should the gman go around saying such things ffs

However IF it is proven (IMC perhaps) to be the PIRA then Provo SF have to be told where to go.

Macy
10/01/2005, 8:01 AM
I certainly don't like the way Orde's word has been taken as gospel, particularly down here, and particularly given past cases that the provo's have been accused, with big media fuss at politically sensitive times with no actual charges or convictions.

However, until P O'Neill says the RA didn't do it, I'll be sceptical of the shinners denials.

patsh
10/01/2005, 8:32 AM
Like people have said it most likely was the Provos but I dont like the way everybody has taken the word of a bloody Gman as gospel.

Proof cannot just be pubished during an ongoing criminal investigation but neither should the gman go around saying such things ffs.
Maybe your leader should have a word with the arsehole in the Justice dept so, and get him to keep his big gob shut too.

However IF it is proven (IMC perhaps) to be the PIRA then Provo SF have to be told where to go.
I agree, but a lot of people vote for that party, and they have seats in the Dáil, in the Northern Assembly and in Westminster, so how can you actually keep them out of the political process?
In the North, there does not seem to be any point in treating the SDLP as the main Irish/nationalist/republican party, when they clearly do not have the support. (mores the pity)