PDA

View Full Version : Ireland V Bosnia-Herzegovina - Monday, 16th November 2015 Euro 2016 Play Off 2nd Leg

Pages : 1 [2] 3

geysir
16/11/2015, 10:08 PM
It was a clear penalty offense, the ball hit the outstretched left arm of the defender. If it had've hit his tucked in right arm then it wouldn't have been a penalty.
All thanks to the 4th official who was staring right at it.

samhaydenjr
16/11/2015, 10:12 PM
This is our Heyday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoNJFvIXBW0

SkStu
16/11/2015, 10:27 PM
It was a clear penalty offense, the ball hit the outstretched left arm of the defender. If it had've hit his tucked in right arm then it wouldn't have been a penalty.

I completely agree. Most are focusing on the arm he had tucked to his tummy but it was the outstretched hand that caused the offence. The ref gave it without consulting the extra official and couldn't have seen the handball on the right arm/hand so it had to have been the other handball.

tricky_colour
16/11/2015, 10:30 PM

Looked like it hit his tucked in right arm to me, but it is not easy to see, however I think there was intend to handball perhaps, he didn't seem to complain much, but it was daft if intentional.

From the angle I see it is not that clear, I like to see it side on.

SkStu
16/11/2015, 10:32 PM
I think it hit both hands/arms.

NeverFeltBetter
16/11/2015, 10:42 PM
What a result. While there were a few hairy moments - inevitable when you choose to sit back - one of the best performances I've seen from Ireland this campaign. MON's had his issues, but he's clearly proven that he can change, and manage a team to success against those nominally better than them (not that Bosnia, who were dire for large stretches of the 180 minutes, are better. No way). Walters was immense, and the defence was fantastic. Should have been three nil with Long's fluffed chance, and Ireland would have been well worth it.

Would have been nice if the RTE Player and RTE Sport feed hadn't crashed with 10 minutes to go, but apparently nearly the entire RTE system went down tonight (that is, it wasn't just a bandwidth issue).

Fergie's Son
16/11/2015, 10:53 PM
That was some match. Still high off of it. Terrific stuff and a lot of players can hold their heads high tonight. Roll on France! When is the draw?

NeverFeltBetter
16/11/2015, 11:00 PM
December 12th is the draw.

Philly
16/11/2015, 11:08 PM
Great result :) The team really delivered in this playoff against good opposition. Every play really gave it their all, and it was a great night for Irish football. Hopefully this not only leads to a good run in France, but also lists the profile of the game here once again and provides a springboard for some of our player's careers.

I think Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane have shown a lot of patience and understanding with this team, and they've built things up over time in the face of an at-time snarky media and impatient fanbase. That hard work paid off tonight with a really solid performance, and players like McCarthy, Long, Coleman, Brady and Walters becoming reliable performers. Consider the fact that this has been a campaign of real transition too - with Keane no longer the player he was, they've managed that change very well. Without Dunne and with an aging O'Shea a lot of us thought we'd be in a mess defensively, but Clark and Keogh have both been blooded and performed very solidly. Hendrick and Hoolahan have done great too under their management.

I was critical of them myself at times, but that was shortsighted and they've proven me wrong. I'm very glad they did. Roll on Paris :)

BonnieShels
16/11/2015, 11:14 PM
There always seems to be one player who just stands out in a campaign and fr me it was Jin Walters. Again immense tonight.

I'll share the praise later for the rest for an outstanding professional performance. But Jonny, your some fella for one fella.

Eminence Grise
16/11/2015, 11:17 PM
Not long home, but still buzzing after the game. Best Ireland performance I've seen in a long time - the kind of discipline Trap wanted, but with the freedom to pass the ball and be inventive in play, and, most importantly, to play with confidence. Thoroughly deserved win, and if all the baby steps in improvements keep adding up, we'll be a different proposition at these finals. Allons-y!!

Olé Olé
16/11/2015, 11:30 PM
Lovely performance. It was everything I wish we had been against Scotland at home. We were dominant, clinical and pressed the opposition in a very effective manner.

This campaign has had a few low points but I really think that the new management team have managed to re-inspire the public's confidence in the side. We have been negative about our side for a while and questioned why there aren't more Irish players in the Champions League. For the last few weeks, the media have ensured that every good touch that Pjanic or Dzeko has taken has been slid under our nose as another reason why we're in big trouble. Pjanic and Dzeko seldom bothered us over the course of the two legs and someone like Robbie Brady has had far more of an impact.

The media have had this agenda that we're not producing enough players in top PL sides. The PL is saturated with top quality from all over Europe. Most of our team tonight are very comfortable at good PL sides; Brady, Coleman, Clark, McCarthy, Whelan, Hoolahan and Walters. Long, McClean and O'Shea were on the bench, sitting beside the best player in the MLS. And that goes without mentioning our current midfield dynamo, Jeff Hendrick. Bojan Krkic and Xherdan Shaqiri have been heralded as the next great coming in European football over the past few years. Both have struggled to match Jon Walters' effectiveness at Stoke.

Then there's the concept that we are too reliant on foreign-born players. Well, there were a mere 4 starting tonight and for all the rubbish that is spoken about players playing for us because they couldn't play for England, Clark, Keogh, Walters and McCarthy have been pulling on the Irish jersey for a long, long time and 2 of the pair were highly sought after by other nations. The pride of Walters honoring his mother's memory must be enormous.

Awesome post-match interview with Robbie Brady on RTE. A passionate and technically gifted player. He has been absolutely excellent for us all campaign. He got the crucial goal on Friday from midfield away and then came home and got man of the match from defense. At the age of 23, that takes a lot of ability and maturity. He has been immense for us this campaign. As has Jeff Hendrick. Two young players proving Irish football is far from dead.

The Fly
17/11/2015, 1:37 AM
I take it it was some of the Bosnian fans that ruined the minutes silence?

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2015, 1:39 AM
Ah c'mere lads - wasn't that just really, really great?

What a surreal qualifying campaign - three late goals, Shaun Maloney being a pox, Shay's comeback and Randy Randolph's emergence, McGeady's Georgian magic to warming the bench, Robbie dropped, Wessi and Hendrix in the middle, three different left backs, four different formations, Cyrus the Virus playing and scoring, Daryl Murphy leading the line, deflected goals, dodgy penos, kicking off in Glasgow to kicking up in the Aviva, drawing with the world champs, beating the world champs, winning a play-off against a decent side...

It's been a stupid year, a brilliant year. Stupidly brilliant. We wound our way from terrible to fantastic and all parts in between, but the thing that stayed consistent was the belief coursing through those players.

It's been far from perfect, but we qualified and our performances under pressure in the last three months have been outstanding. O'Neill and Keane really deserve a whole lot of credit for exerting a calm influence and coaxing some superbly cohesive, composed performances on what has been a stormy, thoroughly rambunctious qualifying campaign.

I thought we were excellent tonight, and fully deserved to go through. First 15 we tore into them, and the Bosnians barely knew what was going on. They were losing their heads well before the peno (maybe they thought they'd try and out-aggro us, but had they not seen Jon Walters?). Penalty did look soft from where I was sitting, but haven't seen a replay.

Players were superb, pretty much to a man. Standouts for me were Clark, Brady, Whelan, McCarthy and that absolute hunk Walters. Keogh was super, Clark was just a beast. Man possesssed. Whelan did so much donkey work and top marks for harrying the Bosnians and calming everyone around. Brady kept going despite a few bad set-pieces and his best defensive performance by a mile.

Walters is our best player. Has been for the last year. Not just one of our most effective and committed, but also genuinely skillful, intelligent and influential.

Au lait, au lait, au lait lads. Nights like these are why it's all worth it.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2015, 1:43 AM
I take it it was some of the Bosnian fans that ruined the minute silence?

Playground style, they started it but I didn't like our response.

A few Bosnians were shouting during it - when I say shouting, there was maybe half-a-dozen shouts a few seconds apart each. You'd probably guess it was five Bosnians doing it (no more). Some Irish fans began shouting things like 'be quiet!' etc and anger grew from there, crescendoing in a flat chorus of boos coming from our end.

Personally, I wasn't too happy with their being any response at all. The booing came across as crass, if not worse, because it was so forceful against what was at most a few knuckledraggers. Understandable given the emotions surrounding the silence, but still.

The Bosnian fans are likely to get a lot of grief over what was a tiny minority, they showed a decent bit of class at the end by applauding our players as they went past in the lap of honour.

gastric
17/11/2015, 3:06 AM
And the Germans now are now sh#tting themselves that they will be drawn in our group again! Great performance and after what was an up and down campaign, it seems O'Neill and Keane's influence is beginning to pay dividends. Can't wait until June/July!

Eminence Grise
17/11/2015, 7:24 AM

And we're going to milk it for all it's worth!:D

Stuttgart88
17/11/2015, 8:13 AM
Hard to believe we have qualified. All looked lost at various points in the group. Poland at home until late on, after Scotland at home etc. Special thanks to Georgia this evening, their win over Scotland gave us the initiative back in the race for qualification.
And people were complaining that we celebrated a late equaliser against Poland like it was something important and that it displayed a loser mentality.

Great mental resolve all round since the spring.

pineapple stu
17/11/2015, 8:58 AM
Love this -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CT922fWWEAAHQ31.jpg:large

NeverFeltBetter
17/11/2015, 9:23 AM
Just looking back on the last half hour this morning, I do think that the yellow given to McClean was incredibly harsh, considering it was just a little tussle on the byline, and that he had only been on for a few minutes: seemed like a reputation based booking for me, and even worse with some of the stuff the Bosnians got away with. But man, he did give away a lot of stupid frees down that right hand side before full time. Tonnes of enthusiasm, little composure.

osarusan
17/11/2015, 9:39 AM
Here's a video of the highlights and the handball - from 1.10 on the video it looks fairly clear that it doesn't touch his left arm at all, but does touch the right arm.

http://hoofoot.com/?match=Ireland_2_-_0_Bosnia-Herzegovina_2015_11_16

Doesn't really matter though - when the chips were down Bosnia had nothing to offer at all. We would have come out on top anyway.

pineapple stu
17/11/2015, 9:49 AM
Good angle. Awful, awful decision. Right arm was tucked right up close to him; he couldn't have done more to avoid the handball. Coleman's appeal was half-hearted; no-one else appealed until they heard the whistle.

But slightly balanced up by the fact Spahic shouldn't have finished the game - probably not even the first half. And yeah, I think over the two legs, the better team did go through. Bosnia had too little by way of end product.

OwlsFan
17/11/2015, 9:52 AM
Not long home, but still buzzing after the game. Best Ireland performance I've seen in a long time - the kind of discipline Trap wanted, but with the freedom to pass the ball and be inventive in play, and, most importantly, to play with confidence. Thoroughly deserved win, and if all the baby steps in improvements keep adding up, we'll be a different proposition at these finals. Allons-y!!

Not sure I agree with that. We knocked the ball long to Murphy and Walters most of the time. The performance came in defence where we were magnificent. Not sure about the rest.

Plus

Qualification (which is all that matters).
Defence - great.
Crowd support - best I've seen/heard for many a day (but where are they for the Georgia etc games?).

Minus

Possession 31%/69% (at home) - we still don't/can't keep the ball.
Daryl Murphy - why is he in the side?
Dead balls - poor as in last 2 previous games.
Wes - ineffective.

Churlish to find fault? Not really as I don't like glossing over everything when we win or think everything is awful when we lose.

It’s hard to enjoy such games. I always fear the worst even when 2 up and the crowd around me are chanting “You’re not singing any more” to the away support and my head is saying “one goal and they’re back in it. Shut up!! Have you no imagination?”. As it went in to the 2nd minute of injury time I started to believe and then they hit the post.

We got a dodgy penalty early on and although I am not a believer in conspiracy theories, I did wonder in the current climate whether UEFA would prefer Ireland or Bosnia at Euro 2016 for obvious reasons – one or two of their supporters disrespected the minute’s silence.

Today I will enjoy it and watch the full game with a cheeky little French wine in one hand and my wife's hand in the other (she’ll be asleep).

Day's like this don't come that often and I shall bask in the after glow for months.

Allez les verts

p.s. Long was nudged in the back just as he was about to shoot for his chance.

Wangball
17/11/2015, 9:57 AM
Literally just managed to make it to my desk this morning, my throat is raw, my head is pounding and my arms are covered in bruises from pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

What a game, what a performance and what an atmosphere! I love it.

pineapple stu
17/11/2015, 9:58 AM
Possession 31%/69% (at home) - we still don't/can't keep the ball.
Was it really that bad? There was a graphic late in the first half that it was 44/56. To drop to 31/69 implies about 20% possession in the second half - that was never the case.

Agree dead balls were a particular worry, even though we scored off one. Too often we didn't clear the first man at all.

Keane would have scored Long's chance. *runs away :) *

Wangball
17/11/2015, 10:07 AM
Was it just me or do we seem to be a bit shot shy too?

Olé Olé
17/11/2015, 10:21 AM
Was abroad and couldn't make it to the match but the support in the stadium was excellent and I've noted that my own mates (lads in their mid-20's) have become enthusiastic and excited about supporting the Ireland team for the first time in a while. Hats off to both the management and the players for that. I've seen us grow in spirit and style over the course of this tournament. We've nicked a win from the World Champions in fairly lucky circumstances and then dominated the side ranked 20th in the world over two legs in a really clinical pair of performances.

geysir
17/11/2015, 10:21 AM
Good angle. Awful, awful decision. Right arm was tucked right up close to him; he couldn't have done more to avoid the handball. Coleman's appeal was half-hearted; no-one else appealed until they heard the whistle.

But slightly balanced up by the fact Spahic shouldn't have finished the game - probably not even the first half. And yeah, I think over the two legs, the better team did go through. Bosnia had too little by way of end product.

5 players made the appeal for a penalty which the ref then acknowledged, what can a player do? keep appealing?
The TV angle from behind the goal doesn't confirm whether it deflected or not off the left arm, we do not see the ball deflection.
I'd go more on the real time TV angle, which shows the ball taking a definitive downward deflection off the outstretched left arm.

passinginterest
17/11/2015, 10:26 AM

Couldn't believe when I saw people saying it was a dodgy penalty after the game. From where we were (and I think it was a similar angle to the ref) it looked like he blatantly stuck out his left hand to block the ball, I was on my feet screaming for it instantly. Funny looking at it now and it looks like he never touched it with his left hand at all.

shakermaker1982
17/11/2015, 10:38 AM
Thankfully the 'be careful what you wish for' statements from some punters and the media when some of us wanted Trap gone proved to be utter ********.

We beat Germany and got a draw away from home against the WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Beat Bosnia (another ranked team above us) at home

We can score goals without Robbie.

We make subs that change games.

We actually look good defensively

The fans are starting to believe in the team again.

RIP 4-4-2

jbyrne
17/11/2015, 11:06 AM
Couldn't believe when I saw people saying it was a dodgy penalty after the game. From where we were (and I think it was a similar angle to the ref) it looked like he blatantly stuck out his left hand to block the ball, I was on my feet screaming for it instantly. Funny looking at it now and it looks like he never touched it with his left hand at all.

maybe the TV view doesn't do the claim justice. have to say my mate said pen straight away from the east upper stand

OwlsFan
17/11/2015, 11:11 AM
Thankfully the 'be careful what you wish for' statements from some punters and the media when some of us wanted Trap gone proved to be utter ********.

We beat Germany and got a draw away from home against the WORLD CHAMPIONS.

Beat Bosnia (another ranked team above us) at home

We can score goals without Robbie.

We make subs that change games.

We actually look good defensively

The fans are starting to believe in the team again.

RIP 4-4-2

We also lost to Scotland away and could only draw at home. We also lost to Poland away and could only draw at home so stats can be used to back up any argument.

However, as Maggie Thatcher would say "Rejoice!!" and that is what I will do. The defensive shape was tremendous with each player knowing exactly what to do. It was a joy to watch although we almost had the exact same sucker punch on Brady/McLean on the left and the winger got to the byline and crossed but this time a body got in the way.

Roll on December 12 although as 4th seed (we are, aren't we) it could be another horrendous draw. Anyone got any idea of the seedings to see who we could be with?

OwlsFan
17/11/2015, 11:12 AM
maybe the TV view doesn't do the claim justice. have to say my mate said pen straight away from the east upper stand

Not from behind the goal it doesn't but the side on view shows the nudge. Such a shame he didn't score as I could have relaxed :)

pineapple stu
17/11/2015, 11:14 AM
From the TV angle, the cross does take a bit of a deflection, and easy to say it's off his hand (which is it) - and so handball and penalty.

But from close up, the cross comes in from two yards away, the guy has his right arm in against his chest, and his left arm is just out for balance - and even then it's behind him and not really blocking the cross. And it does seem it hits his right arm, not his left. There's no case at all of hand to ball, and from that close, it's hard to see how he could have gotten out of the way of the cross.

So yeah, while you can see how you'd call for a penalty because of the nick the ball takes, it has to go down as accidental surely.

But all moot of course - we won, were the better team overall (seems even the Bosnian papers are saying that this morning) and Spahic should have walked, which helps balance it up a tiny bit.

Real ale Madrid
17/11/2015, 11:15 AM
What a great free kick last night by Brady for Walters' 2nd goal - we put in so few decent set pieces during the qualifying campaign ( did we get 3 goals in total from corners / free kicks - Gib aside? ) that it really killed our momentum at times. The home game v Poland was particularly bad. If we could improve that aspect of our game then we would rattle a few teams in the summer.

Stuttgart88
17/11/2015, 11:17 AM
Was abroad and couldn't make it to the match but the support in the stadium was excellent and I've noted that my own mates (lads in their mid-20's) have become enthusiastic and excited about supporting the Ireland team for the first time in a while. Hats off to both the management and the players for that. I've seen us grow in spirit and style over the course of this tournament. We've nicked a win from the World Champions in fairly lucky circumstances and then dominated the side ranked 20th in the world over two legs in a really clinical pair of performances.
I think the public like the team's spirit, work rate and commitment. There's a connection again after the Stephen Ireland and Trap years of suspicion wrt injuries.

People warm to the genuine enthusiasm of people like Keogh. I think people are prepared to overlook the lack of real talent, yet there's a feeling that Brady, Hendrick, Long and Coleman have real quality. The Irish love a battler like Walters. Blink and you'll have missed it, but the current regulars were on the fringes in game one.

Of course, the Irish public like winners more than anything else though. But still, the public affection for the team is returning.

Yard of Pace
17/11/2015, 11:34 AM
Of course, the Irish public like winners more than anything else though. But still, the public affection for the team is returning.

Big time. Because they wrote them off and the players effin' went and showed them what they're all about. I've had a great time today sewing it into the fellas in work who were predicting we'd do well to get out of Zenica with a 2-0 loss.

Not this team, lads.

jbyrne
17/11/2015, 12:24 PM
Playground style, they started it but I didn't like our response.

A few Bosnians were shouting during it - when I say shouting, there was maybe half-a-dozen shouts a few seconds apart each. You'd probably guess it was five Bosnians doing it (no more). Some Irish fans began shouting things like 'be quiet!' etc and anger grew from there, crescendoing in a flat chorus of boos coming from our end.

Personally, I wasn't too happy with their being any response at all. The booing came across as crass, if not worse, because it was so forceful against what was at most a few knuckledraggers. Understandable given the emotions surrounding the silence, but still.

The Bosnian fans are likely to get a lot of grief over what was a tiny minority, they showed a decent bit of class at the end by applauding our players as they went past in the lap of honour.

I can understand the response from some of our supporters tbh. the minutes silence was being held in our stadium and those watching around the world wouldn't be aware that it was some bosnians doing the shouting rather than us. maybe the more appropriate response was when the crowd burst into applause near the end to drown out the shouting. wouldn't be critical of our supporters at all in this instance

Yard of Pace
17/11/2015, 12:46 PM
Of course, the Irish public like winners more than anything else though. .

Which makes the popularity of the rugger lads all the more baffling considering they can't progress past the last 8 of a tournament in a sport that only 8 countries in the world take seriously. I think this year they came 7th or something....odd

NeverFeltBetter
17/11/2015, 12:56 PM
But they've been winning/challenging for the Six Nations though. The Irish public get a yearly taste of going for a major international rugby tournament, and only a four yearly reminder of Ireland's subordinate place to the southern hemisphere.

backstothewall
17/11/2015, 1:10 PM
I can understand the response from some of our supporters tbh. the minutes silence was being held in our stadium and those watching around the world wouldn't be aware that it was some bosnians doing the shouting rather than us. maybe the more appropriate response was when the crowd burst into applause near the end to drown out the shouting. wouldn't be critical of our supporters at all in this instance

I don't think anyone was expecting there to be any bother at all. It took me by surprise.

Though I think it played into our hands a bit. My reaction was that these boys are a pack of c**ts. It got my back up and I don't think i was alone. I felt that was reflected in the atmosphere, especially early on.

Candystripe
17/11/2015, 2:05 PM
I thought it was a stone wall penalty. I was in the lower south behind the net. Seeing it since on TV it looks really harsh, but almost everyone to a man beside me shouted for it so maybe that swung the ref's decision.

Have to say that the atmosphere was electric for the whole game.

SwanVsDalton
17/11/2015, 2:16 PM

Yeah, like I said, it was understandable but if we're worried about what people round the world think then I'm not sure a couple of hundred fans booing during the silence is helpful. As you say, the applause was the better move.

I don't think anyone was expecting there to be any bother at all. It took me by surprise.

Though I think it played into our hands a bit. My reaction was that these boys are a pack of c**ts. It got my back up and I don't think i was alone. I felt that was reflected in the atmosphere, especially early on.

The atmosphere was certainly spicy - at the time, I did think it felt like an opportunity for the home fans to batten down the hatches.

Yard of Pace
17/11/2015, 2:39 PM
But they've been winning/challenging for the Six Nations though. .

Let me have my fun

DannyInvincible
17/11/2015, 3:28 PM
Glasgow was a year and three days ago today. Even reaching the play-offs looked a distant pipe-dream that night. But we've made it. Amazing. I'm ecstatic.

McGeady's last-minute goal in Georgia, O'Shea's last-minute goal in Gelsenkirchen, Long's last-minute goal at home to Poland; all so important and all so indicative of this team's fantastic commitment and heart. And then we beat the reigning world champions along the way. I'm delighted that that result has now been consummated by qualification. All inspiring stuff, and it's drawn the public back.

Nice to see us occupy all three sports news headline slots again too on the RTÉ site:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc12/poguemahone85/Capture_zpsvfalbiy2.png

After the disappointing loss away to Poland in the final group game, I didn't fancy our chances in the play-offs at all, yet we've come through against the highest-ranked seed. We made them look very poor. Comprehensive, professional, heroic, magic. My nerves were wrecked, but what a result. Great performances all round. Glenn Whelan worked his socks off last night; gave his all. Randolph has come in and looked like he's had the number one jersey for years. Clark and Keogh were absolutely rock solid. Great effort from Seamie Coleman too. Delighted for Hoolahan; at the age of 34, he'll finally get that well-deserved chance to show off his abilities on the big stage. Let's hope he stays injury-free, but what energy for a 33-year-old. Brady was a class-act and Walters was simply a beast. Great campaign for him and he'll rightly go down as a hero now.

Fair play to O'Neill; he really deserves credit. Proved the doubters wrong and has demonstrated he's able to instil belief and discipline whilst also knowing when to make changes and, importantly, which changes to make. There's a buzz about the team and they play like they're not under any shackles. It's been a thoroughly nerve-wracking but ultimately enjoyable and rewarding ride. The team are fighters and people respond to that. Can't wait for the finals.

I heard it was a handful of Bosnian fans attempting to draw attention to Europe's perceived ignorance of Palestine. Another source claimed they shouted "Allahu akbar", although I don't think that is as likely, even if Bosnia's largest religion is Islam.

I saw a few GAA/rugby fans on Twitter lording it over "the football/soccer crowd", saying it's typical of what you'd expect or that you'd never get that at their codes.; smug and ill-informed nonsense it was, especially considering it wasn't even our fans who disrespected the moment.

DannyInvincible
17/11/2015, 3:49 PM
I was watching on Sky last night so wasn't able to see this post-match footage on RTÉ: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1116/742363-video-the-moment-ireland-qualified-for-euro-2016/

Some great scenes of celebration there in an 18-minute-long video (which also includes the panel's emotional reaction) for anyone who missed it.

OwlsFan
17/11/2015, 4:07 PM
I saw a few GAA/rugby fans on Twitter lording it over "the football/soccer crowd", saying it's typical of what you'd expect or that you'd never get that at their codes.; smug and ill-informed nonsense it was, especially considering it wasn't even our fans who disrespected the moment.

I know a guy in the premium seats who asked me what the booing was about !! I heard the shouts from the other end so not sure how he missed it. Perhaps having the G&Ts made him miss the shouts. It's not something I'd worry about or the views of our rugby/GAA supporters. Certainly doesn't distract one iota from one of the greatest nights in Irish football.

tetsujin1979
17/11/2015, 4:17 PM
I can't say I've ever been present for a minute's silence/applause at a rugby game, and precious few at a GAA game. But that's a discussion for another day.

CraftyToePoke
17/11/2015, 4:56 PM
Roll on December 12 although as 4th seed (we are, aren't we) it could be another horrendous draw. Anyone got any idea of the seedings to see who we could be with?

All here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34844461

elroy
17/11/2015, 9:56 PM
Ah c'mere lads - wasn't that just really, really great?

What a surreal qualifying campaign - three late goals, Shaun Maloney being a pox, Shay's comeback and Randy Randolph's emergence, McGeady's Georgian magic to warming the bench, Robbie dropped, Wessi and Hendrix in the middle, three different left backs, four different formations, Cyrus the Virus playing and scoring, Daryl Murphy leading the line, deflected goals, dodgy penos, kicking off in Glasgow to kicking up in the Aviva, drawing with the world champs, beating the world champs, winning a play-off against a decent side...

It's been a stupid year, a brilliant year. Stupidly brilliant. We wound our way from terrible to fantastic and all parts in between, but the thing that stayed consistent was the belief coursing through those players.

It's been far from perfect, but we qualified and our performances under pressure in the last three months have been outstanding. O'Neill and Keane really deserve a whole lot of credit for exerting a calm influence and coaxing some superbly cohesive, composed performances on what has been a stormy, thoroughly rambunctious qualifying campaign.

I thought we were excellent tonight, and fully deserved to go through. First 15 we tore into them, and the Bosnians barely knew what was going on. They were losing their heads well before the peno (maybe they thought they'd try and out-aggro us, but had they not seen Jon Walters?). Penalty did look soft from where I was sitting, but haven't seen a replay.

Players were superb, pretty much to a man. Standouts for me were Clark, Brady, Whelan, McCarthy and that absolute hunk Walters. Keogh was super, Clark was just a beast. Man possesssed. Whelan did so much donkey work and top marks for harrying the Bosnians and calming everyone around. Brady kept going despite a few bad set-pieces and his best defensive performance by a mile.

Walters is our best player. Has been for the last year. Not just one of our most effective and committed, but also genuinely skillful, intelligent and influential.

Great post. Saved me writing it all. It's been a campaign that in hindsight has progressed nicely. Slow progress but progress and isn't it great to have Irish football the toast of the nation again. It's the country's real love!!

Hope the FAI get a dvd out for Christmas. While it was at times a testing campaign, how about this for a list of special memories:

1: mcgeady winner against Georgia
2: JOSH equaliser in Germany
3: long equaliser against Poland
4: long winner against Germany
5: Brady emerging from the fog celebrating in Bosnia
6:Walters second last night and the remaining minutes after.

One disappointment was the tally of 2 points from 12 against Poland and scots.