PDA

View Full Version : 11-a-side Five to watch for next season

Roo69
22/12/2004, 11:25 AM
We here at eleven-a-side.com have never claimed to possess soothsaying ability akin to, say, a Nostradamus or Balaam and his Talking Donkey, but we decided to have a go at predicting some of the younger stars who will make their mark in the eircom League over the next 12 months. More (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/viewpoint/five_to_watch.asp)

Would'nt agree with most of these myself, who would your 5 be ?

harpskid
22/12/2004, 11:50 AM
Chris Breen - Harps
Michael Funston - Harps
Killian Brennan - Derry
Mark Rooney - Drogs
Paul Byrne - UCD

Slash/ED
22/12/2004, 12:07 PM
They're right about O'Brien, he's class, as is Rooney from the little bit I've seen of him (He got an absolute cracker against Shels anyway). Rice wont be much good imo, I do also rate Brennan. Not sure about Rowe, he's technically sound but he's never really convinced me, we'll see what he can do if someone picks him up on loan.

Roo69
22/12/2004, 12:12 PM
Chris Breen - Harps
Michael Funston - Harps
Killian Brennan - Derry
Mark Rooney - Drogs
Paul Byrne - UCD

Funston was very impressive alright ! the 2 at Bray with very bright futures are Chris O'Connor and Barry McGrory - Defo ones to watch out for

Aberdonian Stu
22/12/2004, 12:17 PM
I have to say mentioning Rooney is a bit of a joke.

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 12:41 PM
Rooney?! You're having a laugh! 1 goal in 24 for us, 4 in 36 for Drogs. The Drogs fans all insist he's getting better and is one to watch, but with those stats, I can't see how?

Paul Byrne for UCD is definitely one. Possibly Brian Gannon and Darren Quigley as well. Honestly don't know enough about the other teams - let alone their up-and-coming players - to make a call on any non-UCD players.

Cosmo
22/12/2004, 1:17 PM
'Rooney?! You're having a laugh!'

Hmmmmmm, it always sounds like UCD supporters have a problem with Doolo and the players he took with him from UCD :rolleyes: - not bitter at all :confused:

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 1:35 PM
Cosmo, you're beginning to sound like stuck record now - very boring! :rolleyes:

For the record, shortly after Rooney signed for us, he was asked what course he was going to be studying in UCD. He laughed and said he wasn't going to be doing any course. He was immediately told that he wasn't going to get a new contract at the end of the season. Doolin didn't take him away from UCD, we released him. Waste of space, basically.

Look at the stats - 5 goals in 60 games. For a forward, that's appalling. Argue that, not some nonsense about us envying Drogs for having Doolin as manager...

Cosmo
22/12/2004, 1:53 PM
Well I heard a different story so I presume it just boils down to who you believe :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 1:56 PM
Want to tell us the story and who it's from?

Or even talk about Rooney's strike rate of 5 goals in 60 games? :rolleyes: ;)

patsh
22/12/2004, 1:56 PM
I'm surprised that Bracken from Bohs is not in there. He is touted as being as great prospect.

Cosmo
22/12/2004, 2:08 PM
I'd rather not tell the story (not much of one anyway, no big deal) and you can be sure that it came from 2 different people who I would expect to know the craic.

PS, fair enough have a pop at Doolo for obvious reasons, but I cant see what your problem with Rooney is. Let it go........

As regards Bracken - never saw him play but talking to people up in Dalyer, they reckon he is the next big thing. I think they even tied him down on a longish contract incase he's wanted overseas and they can get a few bob for him!!

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 2:29 PM
I'd rather not tell the story (not much of one anyway, no big deal) and you can be sure that it came from 2 different people who I would expect to know the craic.
More so than the UCD director who asked about the course? ;)

I can't see what your problem with Rooney is.
Just saying that I can't see how he's on a list of top 5 young players in the league with that strike record. Nothing to throw a fit at... :rolleyes:

Cosmo
22/12/2004, 3:05 PM
Ah PS, I'm just very very hungover so take me with a pinch of salt!!

Oh, and by the way 'More so than the UCD director who asked about the course?', yes

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 3:10 PM
Ah PS, I'm just very very hungover so take me with a pinch of salt!!
Hungover at 4:00pm! I'm impressed!

Oh, and by the way 'More so than the UCD director who asked about the course?', yes
Someone who knows more than the incident than the person who made it happen? Interesting! Can only be the boy Rooney himself. I'll be taking that pinch of salt now! Like us or loathe us, our directors are invariably honorable and trustworthy, and I don't see what they'd have to gain by lying about this one.

Anyway...

This thread would probably be more meaningful if people mentioned players form their own clubs, as they'd know them far better (or has that thread been done already?). So from UCD, I'll nominate the aforementioned Paul Byrne, Brian Gannon and Darren Quigley.

Cosmo
22/12/2004, 3:23 PM
'Can only be the boy Rooney himself.' - its not, not getting into it - leave me alone :mad:

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 3:30 PM
So you're making allegations without bothering to back them up? 'Cos - hungover or not - none of what you're saying is adding up! ;)

He left UCD because he was released, not because Doolin took him away. Let that be the end of it...

joeSoap
22/12/2004, 3:33 PM
They pick Ger Rowe from Shels as one to watch, yet acknowledge immediately that he will get very few chances to impress.... :confused: :confused:

Cosmo
22/12/2004, 4:15 PM
Ah PS you're wrecking my head :)

exile
22/12/2004, 5:36 PM
im not sure who my 5 would be but no zayed very strange

BobtheDrog
22/12/2004, 6:07 PM
Rooney while at UCD was studying at a different college