PDA

View Full Version : Closed Season

nr637
09/11/2015, 10:46 AM
Now that the season is over what do the "Pro-Contracted" players in our league do in the closed season.

From what I can gather a professional player in our league on a 1 to 2 year contract means an average paid 35 to 40 weeks per year, usually February/March to October/November. I suspect most of these players have some form of work during the close season.

Anyone able to give some examples from your club?

By the by are the Managers of clubs on similar contracts or do they get a 52 week term per year?

:confused:

White Horse
09/11/2015, 11:01 AM
Our lads spend it in the gym.

ger121
09/11/2015, 11:22 PM
For those that don't work and elect to receive their salary over 40 weeks, I'd say 1st stop is the Social Welfare Office.

oriel
09/11/2015, 11:39 PM
Well it's a long one for starters, think i read the LOI is one of the longest ones in Europe, 120 + days, something like that. I think the DFC players come back to training in the 3rd week of Jan, and it starts properly from first week of February. I also think that's when Dundak start paying wages from, 1st Feb.

That's still a long old stint with no wages, say from 8th Nov to end of Jan, unless you get paid 52 weeks and very few do.

Charlie Darwin
10/11/2015, 1:27 AM
A lot of players would get seasonanal work over Christmas as there tends to be more jobs knocking about. Ronan Finn was a relief postman last year I believe. A lot would be on the dole too. Don't ask me about anyone doing both.

Longfordian
10/11/2015, 6:52 AM
Ian Bermingham would be the man to talk to there

Jofspring
10/11/2015, 12:23 PM
The dole office i'd imagine. I know a few of the younger Limerick players would have had jobs during the season as well as playing. Most working in jobs that allow them to continue to train and make matches.