PDA

View Full Version : Blue and Yellow Wrist bands??

RedX
22/12/2004, 10:03 AM
Lads...what are these blue and yellow bands footballers are wearing on there wrists??..my young lad wants one and i have been looking everywhere..anyone know anything and where to purchase one in Cork???

dcfc_1928
22/12/2004, 10:07 AM
The yellow wrist bands are for a cancer charity, set-up by Lance Armstrong. Live Strong, i think its called.

When I was in the US recently EVERYONE was wearing them - and they were damn hard to get hold of.

They can be bought online:

http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/index_f.html

Or in NikeTown stores.

I'm not sure what the blue ones are for, but I'm sure they're for some other charity as well.

Roo69
22/12/2004, 10:16 AM
The yellow wrist bands are for a cancer charity, set-up by Lance Armstrong. Live Strong, i think its called.

When I was in the US recently EVERYONE was wearing them - and they were damn hard to get hold of.

They can be bought online:

http://www.nike.com/wearyellow/index_f.html

Or in NikeTown stores.

I'm not sure what the blue ones are for, but I'm sure they're for some other charity as well.

Spot on there. The different colours (yellow, red, white, blue, green) are for different sports but are all for the same charity. VERY hard to get a hold of them, massive backlog i orders. Luckily have a yellow one myself which i bought in an auction in work for €20.00 - my boss bought a pack of ten for $10 and made €350.00 on the for charity

Roo69
22/12/2004, 11:21 AM
They're not all for the same charity. The yellow ones are definitely for the Lance Armstrong Foundation and they have "live strong" printed on them. You can get them in sports shops.
The blue ones are part of an anti-bullying campaign that has been running in the UK for a few weeks now.
Great to see people supporting two very worthwhile causes.

My mistake, just going on what i was told. I actually read a story where a bunch of yobs beat up a bloke for his blue band ! anti-bullying my arse :D

Karlos
22/12/2004, 11:44 AM
yellow 'livestrong' ones can be ordered from wearyellow.com (must order 10 or more -$1 a peice)

Blue 'anti-bullying' can be order from bbc website - I think there's about a 2 month wait on them though!

Roo69
22/12/2004, 11:53 AM
yellow 'livestrong' ones can be ordered from wearyellow.com (must order 10 or more -$1 a peice)

Blue 'anti-bullying' can be order from bbc website - I think there's about a 2 month wait on them though!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/onelife/fun/free_request.shtml?wristband

they are free but only if you have a UK address

Metrostars
22/12/2004, 2:07 PM
I've got a few of the livestrong wrist bands. They're yellow. Cost $1 each and the money goes to Lance Armstrong's charity for cancer. Other charities are getting in on the act. My wife got a pink one recently for a breast cancer charity and there blue ones for an autism charity.

BTW, if you're getting one for free, well that's not the point.

Roo69
22/12/2004, 2:15 PM

Never said it was, but thats the only place i can find them on the net and they are free

green goblin
22/12/2004, 2:52 PM
We had a pack of 30 sent to my work, instead of the usual bottles of wine at Christmas. Most people were significantly underwhelmed, it's fair to say.

"What are they"? Said someone.
"Testicular cancer" came the reply.
"Oh.... But they'll never fit".

:rolleyes:

dahamsta
22/12/2004, 3:54 PM
Plenty of Irish cancer charities out there lads.

http://www.google.ie/search?q=cancer+ireland

Perhaps the fashion victims could suggest a green wrist band when they're making their donations. ;)

adam

liam88
22/12/2004, 9:07 PM

I don't think that you can pay for the blue anti-bullying ones; it's not a financial charity because you can't actually spend money to stop bullying-it's more to spread the word that bullying is well....sick and evil. Mabye the British army should get a batch :( (seriously-no joke what goes on in there is horrible!)

Will like to get hold of a yellow one to-have seen cancer affect to man y people I know and love; so fair play to Max for his funraising!

As has been said two VERY worthwhile causes-cancer and bullying are two of the worst things in our society!