PDA

View Full Version : TV Rights

Pages : [1] 2 3

citybone
06/11/2015, 3:51 AM
Mainstream tv channels have little interest in airing our games. Another solution i have found is after the United Soccer League (USL for short). They air all their games live on Youtube and for the few big games mainstream channels can then buy exclusive rights.

This gives easy access for games. Many games only have a few hundred views with the bigger games getting a few thousand.

outspoken
06/11/2015, 6:41 AM
Problem is some clubs here can barely run a Facebook page never mind stream live matches

Longfordian
06/11/2015, 6:53 AM
RTE may have little interest in showing it themselves but that doesn't mean they'll let anyone else broadcast it before Soccer Republic.

Macy
06/11/2015, 7:30 AM
Mainstream tv channels have little interest in airing our games. Another solution i have found is after the United Soccer League (USL for short). They air all their games live on Youtube and for the few big games mainstream channels can then buy exclusive rights.

This gives easy access for games. Many games only have a few hundred views with the bigger games getting a few thousand.
Clubs have tried it, and been slapped down by the combined forces of darkness of RTE and the FAI. As Longfordian said, just because RTE don't bother their hole, doesn't mean they won't stop others. They did the same when Newstalk was covering games on the radio - claimed exclusivity to block them, and then a while down the road binned Friday night coverage themselves and now we have no radio coverage.

outspoken
06/11/2015, 8:54 AM
Clubs have tried it, and been slapped down by the combined forces of darkness of RTE and the FAI. As Longfordian said, just because RTE don't bother their hole, doesn't mean they won't stop others. They did the same when Newstalk was covering games on the radio - claimed exclusivity to block them, and then a while down the road binned Friday night coverage themselves and now we have no radio coverage.

Irish football in a nutshell really.

IsMiseSean
06/11/2015, 1:20 PM

It's almost as if RTE want the LOI to fail miserably....

nigel-harps1954
11/11/2015, 5:01 PM
With RTE losing the rights to the Six Nations for the next few years, will there be a bit of added effort put into the football here I wonder? They haven't much left in terms of live coverage of sports now.

Mr A
11/11/2015, 5:03 PM
Maybe there's be a bit of "well we have to spend the budget somewhere or they'll cut it" but on the other hand the LOI would bring in a fraction of the advertising revenue. I doubt this will have must real impact to be honest.

NeverFeltBetter
11/11/2015, 5:35 PM
Surprised by announcement today. Is TV3 just bidding a crazy amount, or has EURO 2016 and the Olympics cost RTE too much?

Charlie Darwin
11/11/2015, 7:26 PM
With RTE losing the rights to the Six Nations for the next few years, will there be a bit of added effort put into the football here I wonder? They haven't much left in terms of live coverage of sports now.
Nope.

Philosophizer
12/11/2015, 10:24 AM
Hi all, I’ve been reading on this forum for a while but decided to join the conversation.

Here’s an in-depth interview I found with Ryle Nugent from a month or two ago explaining RTE’s stance on showing live domestic games, and Soccer Republic - http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain-position-on-league-of-ireland-coverage/

I’d obviously love us to have a live match on RTE every Friday, but to be fair, having 17 domestic soccer matches on RTE each year isn’t too bad, especially considering the ratings they receive. Setanta also have a few each year so between the two there’s probably a match aired every other week on average during the season.

I’m no expert on media production or anything but wouldn’t there be big costs involved for clubs to air their matches live on Youtube anyway for probably little gains. At the very least, each club would then need a bloody expensive camera, a trained camera operator/producer, and a decent commentator.

LOI_Fanatic
12/11/2015, 1:07 PM
Hi all, I’ve been reading on this forum for a while but decided to join the conversation.

Here’s an in-depth interview I found with Ryle Nugent from a month or two ago explaining RTE’s stance on showing live domestic games, and Soccer Republic - http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain-position-on-league-of-ireland-coverage/

I’d obviously love us to have a live match on RTE every Friday, but to be fair, having 17 domestic soccer matches on RTE each year isn’t too bad, especially considering the ratings they receive. Setanta also have a few each year so between the two there’s probably a match aired every other week on average during the season.

I’m no expert on media production or anything but wouldn’t there be big costs involved for clubs to air their matches live on Youtube anyway for probably little gains. At the very least, each club would then need a bloody expensive camera, a trained camera operator/producer, and a decent commentator.

The majority of clubs have someone who records the game for the manager to view in a DVD session etc after the games, surely it wouldnt be too hard to make this camera a live one? with a paid subscription and weekly content such as exclusive interviews,surely it would be a success? That said,the FAI would likely block it like they did with Rovers SRFC Tv.

Mark
12/11/2015, 1:59 PM
It's actually quite easy to set up a good quality live stream with a single camera. All the technology you need comes in a decent laptop. Add in professionally minded volunteers and away you go. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before. With support from the FAI it could be up and running for next season....

nigel-harps1954
12/11/2015, 2:04 PM
The majority of clubs have someone who records the game for the manager to view in a DVD session etc after the games, surely it wouldnt be too hard to make this camera a live one? with a paid subscription and weekly content such as exclusive interviews,surely it would be a success? That said,the FAI would likely block it like they did with Rovers SRFC Tv.

Not every camera can simply hook up and stream live content. There's a lot of extra equipment needed for a simple live broadcast of any quality.

wedwood
15/11/2015, 9:40 AM
With RTE after losing the rights to the 6 Nations rugby, they're now down to the GAA, the Irish internationals and the LOI.

They should use the money they won't now spend on the rugby and do a deal with the FAI to invest in the LOI to develop a product to sell around the world.

Theres now a global Irish diaspora, as well as a global demand for televised football, which makes the LOI a potentially highly lucrative product.

nigel-harps1954
15/11/2015, 12:12 PM
which makes the LOI a potentially highly lucrative product.

Does not compute..

NeverFeltBetter
15/11/2015, 4:44 PM
RTE also has Euro 2016, the Olympics, the World Cup...might not be as much money as we think.

gufcfan
15/11/2015, 8:50 PM
We all love the LOI but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's something that it's not.

Philosophizer
16/11/2015, 9:02 AM
We all love the LOI but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's something that it's not.

This... all day long.

mypost
02/12/2015, 10:58 PM
RTE demand LOI football to show. If they don't have it, they'll kick up a fuss, as they do every time they lose sports rights.

Nesta99
03/12/2015, 5:32 PM
Thought I saw a UFO when out earlier - must have been mypost landing home for christmas.

Darklordsbane
04/12/2015, 12:15 PM
Thats the earliest april fool taken care of

Philosophizer
04/12/2015, 12:15 PM
League of Ireland will now be shown worldwide. Not sure on which countries.

https://twitter.com/SBOBETweets/status/672720776038977536

As far as i'm aware it will be most countries, except for Ireland. Making it available to Irish IPs is probably against the current agreements the FAI have with RTE and Setanta and also counter-productive in that it may affect the crowds that actually turn up at the matches.

nigel-harps1954
04/12/2015, 1:05 PM
Ah lads....catch up!

gufcfan
04/12/2015, 3:21 PM
League of Ireland will now be shown worldwide. Not sure on which countries.

https://twitter.com/SBOBETweets/status/672720776038977536

All the countries... except Ireland.

It will be interesting to see if accessing it through a foreign IP will be enough to watch it. If you have to deposit money, that could rumble you.

GCdfc
04/12/2015, 3:26 PM
All the countries... except Ireland.

Kim Jong-un might disagree with you there!

gufcfan
04/12/2015, 3:53 PM

He might disagree, but some people can still access the proper internet there.

outspoken
04/12/2015, 4:00 PM

I hear he runs our Facebook page

Trainee
05/12/2015, 10:35 AM
Will be interesting to see if RTE show any live LOI games next season as RTE are complaining next year will be expensive year for the them with Six nations, Euros, Olympics & GAA. They haven't ruled out dropping other live sport which LOI must be top on that list if he they do.

Philosophizer
07/12/2015, 9:31 AM
Will be interesting to see if RTE show any live LOI games next season

They have a commitment to show 17 live domestic games each year. I don't see them pulling the plug on this, even if they do lose ratings when they show LOI matches.

Her's a recent interview with Ryle Nugent explaining RTE's commitment to LOI. To give him his dues, he actually comes across as very balanced and respectful to be fair.
http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain-position-on-league-of-ireland-coverage/

seand
07/12/2015, 9:39 AM
Given the general level of interest in the league in the country 17 games is pretty generous. I expect that the usual pattern of a glut of games early and late in the season will be even more pronounced in 2016.

Philosophizer
07/12/2015, 10:48 AM
Given the general level of interest in the league in the country 17 games is pretty generous. I expect that the usual pattern of a glut of games early and late in the season will be even more pronounced in 2016.

Agreed on both points.

WeAreRovers
07/12/2015, 12:22 PM
They have a commitment to show 17 live domestic games each year. I don't see them pulling the plug on this, even if they do lose ratings when they show LOI matches.

Her's a recent interview with Ryle Nugent explaining RTE's commitment to LOI. To give him his dues, he actually comes across as very balanced and respectful to be fair.
http://www.intallaght.ie/rte-explain-position-on-league-of-ireland-coverage/

Worth noting re RTÉ and the LOI that what Ryle says in this interview is factual and what people surmise on internet forums is by-and-large rubbish.

Charlie Darwin
07/12/2015, 1:30 PM
Interesting that in the article he specifically says this is the policy by design, even if it was well-known already.

wonder88
29/12/2015, 8:30 PM
Larry Bass who supplies most of the "format tv" in Ireland is the Chairman of Cabinteely. Could he maybe come up with some ideas to re-brand/package the LoI to make it more appealing to the public?

Trainee
22/02/2016, 2:19 PM
Rte Selling rights to some of Euro 16 games (most likely TV3 will buy them)

If they cant be bother to show these games I cant imgine they will want to show many LOI games this season & going forward. It will be intresting to see if RTE pull out of live LOI games who will take up the rights(if any)

http://www.the42.ie/rte-tv3-euro-2016-deal-2617461-Feb2016/

Charlie Darwin
22/02/2016, 2:22 PM
Rte Selling rights to some of Euro 16 games (most likely TV3 will buy them)

If they cant be bother to show these games I cant imgine they will want to show many LOI games this season & going forward. It will be intrestingto see if RTE pull out of live LOI games who will take up the rights(if any)
I'd say it has more to do with money. And the fact there'll be six timeslots where there are two games on.

Trainee
22/02/2016, 2:43 PM
I'd say it has more to do with money. And the fact there'll be six timeslots where there are two games on.

Its down to money alright. Rte said about 6 months ago that this year would be expensive as they 6 nations, Euro 16, GAA & Olymipics. I remember Rte saying that sports rights are becomming very expensie & they may need to pick & choose events in furture.

Mr A
22/02/2016, 2:56 PM
I hope the hard nosed negotiators of the FAI don't price RTE out of the League of Ireland market.

KR's Post
24/02/2016, 1:31 PM
Brat turn down RTE offer of live game v Dundalk!

Mr A
24/02/2016, 1:59 PM
That's no way to refer to your chairman!

Charlie Darwin
24/02/2016, 2:31 PM
They'd have been forced to move it to Friday presumably.

nigel-harps1954
24/02/2016, 5:24 PM
Cork v Bohs is being shown on March 4th.

Soccer Republic continues to be shown Monday nights at 11:05pm.

Macy
26/02/2016, 7:01 AM
This is awful!
Not really. Bray trying to establish a time for home games which they'd have to change. And it looks like RTE left it late to propose it (how long have fixtures been out, and how long ago was the change/ live game proposed)? For a change that will probably cost Bray money.

oriel
26/02/2016, 8:01 AM
Pity they turned it down (not even sure clubs had that option!) also not sure it would have effected the crowd much, first games usually well supported for all clubs. Its possible as suggested above, they wanted to stick with the Sat night 7.30 KO for consistency, but Live TV is still good profile for clubs, even if they get nothing for it, in terms of cash. I think the away support will be bigger though on the Saturday though, however Dundalk would have brought a large following regardless of the night.

Cork v Bohs still a good game to pick, that’s on RTE, I wonder how many of the 27 live league games this season will be on RTE?

Macy
26/02/2016, 8:19 AM
I'd still like to know when RTE said "Jump" to Bray, with the expectation of a "how high" answer. On the face of it, it doesn't seem like they gave a lot of notice.

wandererfan
26/02/2016, 12:24 PM
Pure rubbish. Bray were never "asked" or never "turned down" a live game. You don't have the option to refuse a live game. You get told and that's it. Shamrock Rovers last year the example, didn't want rte to show games but still had no choice.

oriel
26/02/2016, 12:31 PM
I didn't think any club had the option to 'turn down' a game, so the above post does make a bit of sense really.

Mark
26/02/2016, 1:58 PM
I don't know if my sources and Wandererfan's are the same but he is correct. When the fixtures came out RTE spoke to the FAI about what games they (RTE) were interested in showing in the first three or four weeks. They did express an interest in showing Bray v Dundalk considering Dundalk are defending champions. AFAIK RTE did not and do not deal directly with any club. I do not know if the FAI spoke to Bray or Dundalk but RTE's choice of Cork v Bohs was based on whatever was discussed between themselves and the FAI. Why doesn't someone email Ryal Nugent and ask him considering the FAI tells us nothing.

citybone
28/02/2016, 1:12 AM
So the Cork City vs Dundalk President's cup game was on the FAI's youtube page. If I had know it was going to be on, I would have gotten up to watch it. nobody seemed to know it was even on till game time. A little bit of notice and viewership could have been much higher. No commentary or anything though.