PDA

View Full Version : Club or Country?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pablo
21/12/2004, 2:38 PM
Hers a poser lads......Your club to win the league in 2005 or Ireland to qualify for the world cup.

Only one can happen, what would you pick?

barglee
21/12/2004, 2:48 PM
Hers a poser lads......Your club to win the league in 2005 or Ireland to qualify for the world cup.

Only one can happen, what would you pick?

ireland to qualify, definitey. The buzz before the world cup the country gets .... the count down to the games.... cant beat it....

still though i must confess that "my club" is based in English Premiership (like many in ireland) and as i have no real connection with them its not a hard choice to chose Ireland to qualify.

still wud be nice to see liverpool win the league after so long!

Éanna
21/12/2004, 2:50 PM
to see who qualify for what? oh, the fat cats making more money for FIFA and the big tv networks? no chance. C'mon City :D

Pablo
21/12/2004, 2:53 PM
Well its a choice between a team i have a huge passion for or a team that i try to have an affinity for but feel left cold by visiting Lansdowne.

City all the way

Dillo
21/12/2004, 2:54 PM
Both! Town to win the league and Eireann to qualify for Germany. I'm entitled to choose both because both are realistic aspirations. ;)

Dublin12
21/12/2004, 2:55 PM
Bohs to win the league anyday :D .Now if you had've said Ireland to win the world cup I'd have to think about it :D

Slash/ED
21/12/2004, 2:56 PM
Sure Shels will win the league regardless of what I pick ;)

Now if the question was qualify for the champions league or qualify for the world cup it might be a different story, and I'd go with Shels I have to admit, not that I'm anti the Irish team mind you, both happening would be nice.

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 2:58 PM
club before country

Don Vito
21/12/2004, 3:08 PM
Country.

gypsyfella
21/12/2004, 3:23 PM
Club.....

eirebhoy
21/12/2004, 3:37 PM
Country, without a shadow of a doubt. Anything Irish I'm up for. No matter how much I hate a someone/something (Ronan Keeting comes to mind), I always want the Irish to succeed on a worldwide scale. Don't ask me why, I think I get it from the oul' lad who'd only watch a sport if Ireland were being represented.

tetsujin1979
21/12/2004, 3:40 PM
Country by some distance, league for Man City would be a small miracle, qualification for the World Cup would make my year.

strangeirish
21/12/2004, 3:47 PM
No brainer...........Country, by a mile.

Paulie
21/12/2004, 4:11 PM
Don't support a club.....I'll let ye work out my preference for yourselves.

Bowsy
21/12/2004, 4:22 PM
Country by a long way. Could never see any club replacing the Ireland team in my list of priorities.

Xlex
21/12/2004, 4:29 PM
club.

eoinh
21/12/2004, 4:35 PM
club .

eirebhoy
21/12/2004, 4:53 PM
Is there any Cork fan that would choose country over club? What is it with Corkmen and that shít hole of a "city". ;) Joke, joke... :)

oconghc2
21/12/2004, 5:00 PM
country all the time

club always take back seat!

Beavis
21/12/2004, 6:42 PM
Theres no affinity in club football.George O'Callaghan,Kevin Doyle etc would transfer to the mediocrity of Scottish Football in an instant if the oppurtunity arose.International football is the only true passion,no money or career motives involved(exceptions!).I'm all for the promotion of the league but there's just no comparison.

monutdfc
21/12/2004, 7:36 PM
club.

finlma
21/12/2004, 7:44 PM
My country would always come before my club. Its difficult to follow Kilkenny City when you're in a different country but its not too difficult to follow Ireland's fortunes. Even if I was at home Ireland would come before the club.

onenilgameover
21/12/2004, 10:05 PM
Interesting question and the answers aren't quite what you would expect. For me its country by a country mile.....Always country before club much prefer to go to Germany and have everything that goes with that than to win a trophy that is only fractionally recognised by the media and hense by the whole country. Bring on Mass World Cup Media hype and all that goes with it...''We're goin to Germany Que Sera Sera'' Eircom Smeircom.......

1MickCollins
21/12/2004, 10:13 PM
Is there any Cork fan that would choose country over club? What is it with Corkmen and that shít hole of a "city". ;) Joke, joke... :)

I will but I'm more Wesht Cork than city boy. As much as I long to see City win the league I'll take the utilitarian position on this one. As the years go by I grow more weary of all things Irish ( some wan*kers on this board shouldn't be let near a tricolour ) but more sure of the superiority of all things Wesht Cork.

Éanna
21/12/2004, 10:21 PM
Theres no affinity in club football.George O'Callaghan,Kevin Doyle etc would transfer to the mediocrity of Scottish Football in an instant if the oppurtunity arose.International football is the only true passion,no money or career motives involved(exceptions!).I'm all for the promotion of the league but there's just no comparison.really? you honestly believe that? International football is ruled by money/career motives now- players retire when it suits them, withdraw from friendlies when it suits them, change nationality when it suits them. thats not a case of the odd exception, its the rule now- next time you see morrison kissing the irish crest at landsdowne think about what you said?

The affinity in club football (in this league at least) is the chance to meet and talk to players, to endure the same abuse they get from idiots who scoff at this league, and know that we're all in it together- and if they were to move to a bigger or better future, they'd have our best wishes and we wouldn't begrudge them. You must know absolutely nothing about irish football to say something like that. The affinity one feels as an eircom league fan is that when one uses the word "we" in reference to the club you support, you actually have a right to do so and really mean it.

Éanna
21/12/2004, 10:23 PM
highly ironic isn't it, that its the eircom League fans (mainly) who say club, and the non-eL fans who say country :rolleyes:

livehead1
21/12/2004, 11:18 PM
Country

Pablo
22/12/2004, 1:24 AM
the high i feel when my club win is like a drug. the daily/weekly/monthly highs and lows will never be felt by anyone supporting an english club or the national team sinply because i can truely say the word WE when i talk about City.

Can you honestly say the same?

finlma
22/12/2004, 1:26 AM
Can you honestly say the same?

Course I can. I'm Irish, I support Ireland and when I talk about the national team I say "We".

Do you call Ireland "They"?

Pablo
22/12/2004, 1:33 AM
Course I can. I'm Irish, I support Ireland and when I talk about the national team I say "We".

Do you call Ireland "They"?

i mean we with intensity...... a team i follow home and away about 50 times a season in person

at home and abroad.

City till i die

Colm
22/12/2004, 1:35 AM
Club, any day of the week without a doubt.

I'm a massive Ireland fan, I go to Landsdowne Road all the time and I've even travelled abroad to watch Ireland play, yet it disgusts me to see the likes of Macken and Morrisson in our squad when true talents like Kevin Doyle and Wes Houlihan are ignored.

If Cork City were to win the league and do well in the Champions League I would be the happiest man in the world. Even if Ireland were to win the World Cup, I would still regard it as inferior to the achievements of my club CCFC. That may sound pathetic but there are many on this site who feel the same about their club and it is always the passion of your club, whom you see week in week out and feel a part of, that means the most to the real fans of Irish football.

Stuttgart88
22/12/2004, 8:40 AM
Ireland all the way for me too. Does that disqualify me from being a real fan of Irish football?

PaulB
22/12/2004, 8:43 AM
Country, no contest.

Dublin12
I think if you asked the same question to followers of the English leagues and England I could quarantee almost everybody would support their club all the time over country.

Hibs4Ever
My country 1st. DEFINITELY

Karlos
22/12/2004, 9:00 AM
I think if you asked the same question to followers of the English leagues and England I could quarantee almost everybody would support their club all the time over country.

Fantastic point, I go to Highbury regulary and the english people I sit with say Club over Country every time. They couldn't be arsed with what England do and see international games as an intuder on their saturday rituals during the season. I think every football fan in the world though enjoys world cups and major tournaments possibly becuase it's the off-season

eirebhoy
22/12/2004, 9:23 AM
I won't say that anyone is right or wrong because after all, its your heart that does the choosing. I just find it weird though. Cork are mainly being represented on a scale of 4 million. Ireland are being represented on a scale of over 6 billion. If we did a Greece there'd be up to a million people in Phoenix park, the parties would go on for weeks. We'd be the best in the world (or Europe) rather than the best in Ireland....

Bondvillain
22/12/2004, 9:25 AM
highly ironic isn't it, that its the eircom League fans (mainly) who say club, and the non-eL fans who say country :rolleyes:

Hmmm... up to your post at 11:23 pm yesterday, the rough count was 10 for club, with 7 voters wearing their Club Colours on their sleeves by displaying an el avatar.(I'm assuming this is the criteria used to determine the posters DNA).
The count for country was 12 votes, with 6 voters displaying an el avatar

So thats 7 elf's for club, 6 elf's for country.

Roll yer eyes all you want, but saying that it's all non el fans saying 'country', & mainly the brave proud hardy true fans saying 'club' is a bit of a generalisation. Creative accounting, if you will, Mr. Delaney.....

(as for my own preference, Ireland over club. No problem.
Dont get me wrong, Supporting County is great, they make me happy when skies are grey etc., but honestly, Its hard to argue passionately in favour of a club thats only existed in its present form for about half an hour in football terms. )

Plastic Paddy
22/12/2004, 9:28 AM
Is it too late to suggest that a poll is put in place to capture people's views?

:) PP

Paulie
22/12/2004, 9:31 AM
Is it too late to suggest that a poll is put in place to capture people's views?

What's the bets the EL heads put in multiple votes.

eirebhoy
22/12/2004, 9:42 AM
Yeah go on PP, no harm in a poll.

Just looking at the Fans Forum there's a thread with the title "Your Country Needs You". It made me think, people have been dying for their country for hundreds of years and still are to this day yet people still support a club team over their very own country.

Sheridan
22/12/2004, 9:43 AM
To paraphrase a comment I read elsewhere when this topic was broached, I'd rather see DC win a corner than Ireland win the World Cup (and we're rubbish at corners.)

Only in this country would a majority of (even casual, as in this case) fans answer "country." Always the least painful path to glory, eh?

Look at this way, when the team for whom one holds the greatest affection performs well, upom whom does it reflect credit? If it's your club, then you've contributed (in however insignificant a fashion) directly to that success by helping to pay the players' wages each week and lending moral support "live" and in person. If it's the (specifically Irish) national team, who can rightfully claim the credit? British football scouts and amateur genealogists.

eirebhoy
22/12/2004, 9:49 AM
Only in this country would a majority of (even casual, as in this case) fans answer "country."
That should be something to be proud of. I asked an American what's the first thing that comes to mind when she thinks of Ireland and she said golf. Why is that? Because Harrington, Clarke and McGinley rapping themselves in the Ireland flag and singing with the Irish people. I can't wait for the Ryder cup in two years time as the 3rd biggest sporting event is coming to this country. Its all about country, its all about Ireland and I hope that doesn't change.

Dublin12
22/12/2004, 9:52 AM
I've been going to Ireland games since the 70's and am proud of my country just like everybody else and I've been going to Bohs since the 70's too,except for a spell that I was in England,anyway with Ireland it's easy to jump on the glory train as we've seen by many fans,with Bohs and other el teams it's a week in week out affair.Ireland games too me are bonus games and if we get to the world cups thats cool ,you can switch off from the national team,it's not so easy with your local team.

eirebhoy
22/12/2004, 10:04 AM
you can switch off from the national team
I can't... :(

jbyrne
22/12/2004, 10:05 AM
If it's the (specifically Irish) national team, who can rightfully claim the credit? British football scouts and amateur genealogists.

i'd say the many underage coaches in this country who give up many hours of their free time week in / week out may be able to take just a little bit of credit dont you think???!!!!

by the way my vote is for country over club by a million miles

Dublin12
22/12/2004, 10:32 AM
Hey Conor,was over at ER on Sunday for the fun and games against the Wall,kicked off too :( ,bad season so far :(

Dublin12
22/12/2004, 10:49 AM
Yeah,he said he didn't even consider Leeds an ex club cos he only played a few times,he celebrated that penalty as though he had been at Leeds all his life :mad: ,anyway MOT ;)

Plastic Paddy
22/12/2004, 11:05 AM
Look at this way, when the team for whom one holds the greatest affection performs well, upom whom does it reflect credit? If it's your club, then you've contributed (in however insignificant a fashion) directly to that success by helping to pay the players' wages each week and lending moral support "live" and in person. If it's the (specifically Irish) national team, who can rightfully claim the credit? British football scouts and amateur genealogists.

Why should that matter? Whoever plays for the Ireland team are representing us, and that's why they deserve our support. Similarly, when they win, lots of us celebrate. Our investment is emotional, and it's certainly no less real for that.

Your argument is similar to those who won't cheer Clinton Morrison's goals because he's not fully-Irish. What nonsense that is.

To you and the other nay-sayers at this time of good cheer, bah bleedin' humbug. :p To the rest, a happy and holy Christmas. :D

KR's Post
22/12/2004, 11:33 AM
Country definetely.... Only because bray have no chance of winning the premier title..... ;) Plus i want to go to germany anyway.... :D