PDA

View Full Version : Christmas TV

Peadar
21/12/2004, 9:20 AM
Couldn't tell you what's going to be on TV this Christmas but I was thinking back on all the usual suspects from when I was a kid.
You could almost guess everything that was going to be on just by looking at the RTÉ Guide Christmas special from the year before.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark/Temple of Doom/Last Crusade
Pippi Longstocking.
Miracle on 34th Street.
An American Christmas Carol.
The mini series Bring 'em Back Alive.

Anything else that sticks in the memory?

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 10:07 AM
Remember the big run of Tarzan films in week or so run up to Christmas Day? Used to love them. Getting up at 6 in the morn and sneaking downstairs to watch it in the sitting room. And the DEN Christmas DAy Special. They were CLASS!!! Podge stealing Christmas, Ray and his Scent of Man aftershave and all that :D

Peadar
21/12/2004, 10:21 AM
Remember the big run of Tarzan films in week or so run up to Christmas Day? Used to love them. Getting up at 6 in the morn and sneaking downstairs to watch it in the sitting room. And the DEN Christmas DAy Special. They were CLASS!!! Podge stealing Christmas, Ray and his Scent of Man aftershave and all that :D

Similar story here.
Used to have the telly turned down so as not to wake everyone at 06:00
The B&W Tarzan movies were great.
It was Dempsey's Den when I was a kid though. ;)

Macy
21/12/2004, 10:25 AM
Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark/Temple of Doom/Last Crusade
Quality, and the Back to the Future Trilogy - that was defo on last year over 3 days. :)

carrickharp
21/12/2004, 11:42 AM
The Marx Brothers, on in the early hours of Christmas Eve :o

Metrostars
21/12/2004, 12:36 PM
Billy Smarts Christmas Circus

Dublin12
21/12/2004, 12:39 PM
Stephen's Day ,I think bbc2,classic albums ,featuring Motorhead's first album,oh yesss ;)

Peadar
21/12/2004, 12:40 PM
Lets not forget the Queens message. :D

PaulB
21/12/2004, 12:54 PM
Val Doonicans Christmas Special, now where is that Jumper!

Ruairi
21/12/2004, 1:19 PM
The Marx Brothers, on in the early hours of Christmas Eve :o

i saw duck soup for the first time the other night, had me in stitches.

as for Xmas movies, don;t forget the Nightmare Before Christmas (an underrated classic), and Bill Murray's Scrooged (quality).

dortie
21/12/2004, 2:36 PM

Tape it every year :D

Old Cow !

town73
21/12/2004, 3:09 PM
'Flight Of The Doves' was always a regular in years gone by.

A face
21/12/2004, 4:26 PM

She has direct competition this year .... from none other than the one and only .....

*drum roll*

*another drum roll*

*a bugle*

Mrs Marge Bouvier Simpson !!!

Cant wait to hear her speech !!

fosterdollar
22/12/2004, 9:02 AM
Ah, my faith in humanity is restored. Thank God nobody has mentioned those awful soaps as a highlight. I could think of no other way of spoiling Christmas than by sitting down to watch an hour long episiode of some tart on Coronation Street get burned alive or a geezer from eastenders drive his car into the thames or whatever muck is on offer this year.

drummerboy
22/12/2004, 9:13 AM
The Beeb always show Zulu and Zulu Dawn over the Xmas period.

Babysis
22/12/2004, 9:17 AM
For me, its always been Santa Clause the Movie, the one with Dudley Moore. its on this year on Christmas Day. Its on nearly year.

Babysis
22/12/2004, 10:52 AM
It doesn't get any funnier than A Christmassy Ted. (Oh right, yes, yeah!)

Its Ireland's largest lingerie department, so Im told!! Gota love Father Ted

Aberdonian Stu
22/12/2004, 12:25 PM
Apparently Lisa Simpson is going to speak some Cornish in the Simpsons message.

And

The Beeb always show Zulu and Zulu Dawn over the Xmas period.

They don't normally show the latter, exception this year because they had a documentary a couple of weeks ago about the way spin was used to make Rorke's Drift (the battle Zulu is based on) the one the public focussed on as opposed to the massacre that preceded it that Zulu Dawn is based on.

Rovers Fellow!
22/12/2004, 3:31 PM
Surely some of the Old Only Fools and Horses Christmas Specials are on. Some classics there. I think they are on UK Gold anyway.

fosterdollar
23/12/2004, 8:50 AM
For me, its always been Santa Clause the Movie, the one with Dudley Moore. its on this year on Christmas Day. Its on nearly year.
ah yes. Pure classic. Can't over look that one. What channel showing it this year?