PDA

View Full Version : Israel

Stuttgart88
21/12/2004, 7:12 AM
I saw the highlights of Real Madrid's win over Santander at the weekend.

Santander had an Israeli creative midfielder Benayoun who looked a real class act. He totally dominateed central midfield from what I saw.

I hope they don't have too many more like him.

They have a guy at Bolton too who Liverpool may be looking to sign.

tetsujin1979
21/12/2004, 8:55 AM
Wasn't Benayoun linked with Spurs recently? He does look a class act, and playing in the Primera Liga will stand to him in the international arena, but one player doesn't make a team. Eyal Berkovic (one of the few players I positively loath, despite playing for both Man City and Celtic) is still first choice for Israel even though his appearances have been erratic for Pompey

Donal81
21/12/2004, 10:22 AM
I don't know much about the team but they seem to be on a roll. In each set of qualifiers, there's always one team who seems to qualify almost on momentum. I can't see them falling back at this stage, they will be very, very tough to beat at home. However, I don't see why we can't beat them in Lansdowne. We've never been particularly efficient away from home so a win is probably beyond us. If we can't beat Switzerland - and I know a lot about them and they're brutal - then I don't think we can beat Israel away.

Stuttgart88
21/12/2004, 10:42 AM
Then again, they've struggled to beat Cyprus twice and only drew with Switzerland who were brutal on their travels in the Euro 2004 qualifiers (Lansdowne Road aside!). So how good are they?

I think a win out there will be a really good result but I think it's within our capabilities.

Donal81
21/12/2004, 11:45 AM
True, it's there for us and we really should beat them as I reckon we're the better team - and Cyprus are utter muck so you're right, Israel must have their flaws a plenty - but I can't see us doing the business there. Avoid mistakes away and do them at home, that seems to be the Irish way of doing things.

eirebhoy
21/12/2004, 12:02 PM
Eyal Berkovic (one of the few players I positively loath, despite playing for both Man City and Celtic) is still first choice for Israel even though his appearances have been erratic for Pompey
Berkovic hasn't made the squad in a long time. :) Certainly not since the last set of qualifiers anyway.