PDA

View Full Version : Best Irish band?

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
20/12/2004, 5:14 PM
I would have to say-Thin Lizzy,The Dubliners,The Corrs and The Pogues.Hope I'm not leaving anyone out

sligoman
20/12/2004, 5:28 PM
Anyway, I'd go for Something Happens. I know lots of people knocked them, but I just loved that whole 'Been There Seen That Done That' era...

SOMETHING HAPPENS? Never even f***ing heard of them. :D

James
20/12/2004, 5:33 PM
The Frames & U2 for album after album consistently good stuff
that said heartworm is still my fav irish album

finlma
20/12/2004, 8:21 PM
The Corrs suck - embarrassed to say they're Irish excpet that they're so good looking.
The Stunning were good in their day.

Are we forgetting about a certain Boyzone :D :D :D

gustavo
20/12/2004, 8:51 PM
if clinton morrison can play for ireland then its gotta be oasis :D

PaulB
21/12/2004, 7:56 AM
Isn't morrissey irish'ish...

carrickharp
21/12/2004, 8:02 AM
U2 for what they have achieved with lots of hard work, and this will be a big year for the Revs. Something Happens are worth a mention I can't think of any other Irish Bands I suppose the Pouges as well..

Think it would be easier to have a worst Irish band topic, that sh1t Louie Walsh has produced :eek:

noby
21/12/2004, 9:14 AM
Isn't morrissey irish'ish...

As far as I know, he's got Irish blood. And an English heart.

In no particular order, my top 3:

Blades
Whipping Boy
My Bloody Valentine

dortie
21/12/2004, 9:16 AM
The Wolfe Tones and The Undertones !

patsh
21/12/2004, 9:18 AM
The Blades
MicroDisney
Thin Lizzy
Undertones
U2

Bubbling under:
Something Happens
Stunning
Franks
That Petrol Emotion
DC Nien
My Bloody Valentine

Macy
21/12/2004, 9:18 AM
As far as I know, he's got Irish blood. And an English heart.
Boom Boom..... Think all the Smiths were 2G.

My top 3 would be U2, The Undertones, Thin Lizzy.

I'd concur with James that Heartworm is one of the top Irish albums of all time.

Beavis
21/12/2004, 9:21 AM
Aslan,although possibly unfashionable are quality especially live.

Peadar
21/12/2004, 9:37 AM
U2
Plain and simple!

Plastic Paddy
21/12/2004, 9:42 AM
Seconded Peadar. Given that the answer's so blindingly obvious, I'm surprised there's even a debate on this one.

:) PP

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 9:43 AM
The Wolfe Tones ...!
Blood boiling. Hatred inciting pr*cks with their unashamedly poxy heads singing about an idealism that could never exist if the sort of people they are were truly representative of Irish people

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 9:46 AM
U2 by a country mile by the way

Peadar
21/12/2004, 9:49 AM
Seconded Peadar. Given that the answer's so blindingly obvious, I'm surprised there's even a debate on this one.

:) PP

I was thinking about this the other day and there's no doubt that U2 are one of the greatest bands in the world but what also struck me was the fact that no countries have had such an impact on music globally as Ireland and Britain have. People may argue that America has, but most American bands are surrounded by hype and fail to live up to expectation. They fall away after their second or third album.
Many of the US success stories will tell you that their influence was a British or Irish band.

James
21/12/2004, 10:10 AM
was watching the U2 dvd rattle n hum last night and its fair to say also that u2 borrowed alot from american musical influences too, especially around that time.. BB king / gospel music

noby
21/12/2004, 10:20 AM
I was thinking about this the other day and there's no doubt that U2 are one of the greatest bands in the world but what also struck me was the fact that no countries have had such an impact on music globally as Ireland and Britain have. People may argue that America has, but most American bands are surrounded by hype and fail to live up to expectation. They fall away after their second or third album.
Many of the US success stories will tell you that their influence was a British or Irish band.

While I agree to a point, it's probably an over-simplified statement. For one thing, I wouldn't be as quick to dismiss all american music in one sweeping statement. Another factor is the fact that we live on these islands. If we were from Australia, for example, might we be bragging about the influence Australian musicians have had on the world?

Peadar
21/12/2004, 10:21 AM
BB king / gospel music

Which has an African influence.

If we were from Australia, for example, might we be bragging about the influence Australian musicians have had on the world?

You'll have to help me out here.
Jason Donovan?
Craig McLaughlin?
Kylie?
Dani.?
Natalie Embrulia (sp?)
Savage Garden?

I meant my statement to be simple so as to provoke debate.

James
21/12/2004, 10:32 AM
i think for a band to be considered as the best they gotta have some element of longevity to them.. not just a 1 or 2 good albums under their belts.

for the ones mentioned so far.

Something Happens, The Stunning, The Franks, The petrol Emotion et al i would like to have heardmore from them..

Perfect example is Whipping boy, 2 albums afaik, 1 stunner but nothing after

too often i suppose great band have gotten burnt by record companies or else self imploded for whatever reasons..

U2 .. what is it 12 or 13 albums and still going strong..

dortie
21/12/2004, 10:32 AM
Blood boiling. Hatred inciting pr*cks with their unashamedly poxy heads singing about an idealism that could never exist if the sort of people they are were truly representative of Irish people

Sold out in Derry for two nights January 6th and 7th.....

Up yours too !

noby
21/12/2004, 10:37 AM
You'll have to help me out here.
Jason Donovan?
Craig McLaughlin?
Kylie?
Dani.?
Natalie Embrulia (sp?)
Savage Garden?

I meant my statement to be simple so as to provoke debate.

INXS
Crowded House
Nick Cave
Rolf Harris

My point is, yes Britain has had a major influence on popular music over the last 50 years, but are we saying Ireland has, just cos we're Irish?

I'd say alot of Irish bands (pop/rock, not trad/folk) were heavily influenced by British, and American bands, whatever the historical origins of the music (like gospel etc.)

Peadar
21/12/2004, 10:38 AM
Sold out in Derry for two nights January 6th and 7th.....

They seem to sell-out pretty much everywhere they play.
To me it's just music and if people choose to be incited or offended by it then they need to take stock of what's important in life.
If you don't like it you don't have to listen to it.

Peadar
21/12/2004, 10:41 AM
Rolf Harris

For a moment there I thought you were serious.
You nearly got me with your wind-up. ;)

Sheridan
21/12/2004, 10:42 AM
As far as I'm concerned, Britain and Ireland comprise a single cultural territory (in terms of popular culture, at any rate), so if anything Irish influence in this field has been disproportionately small.

If we're broadening the scope to Nordies, I'd include the Divine Comedy (esp. the early 90s version) and Therapy? - and neither of those are particularly earth-shattering.

Dublin12
21/12/2004, 10:44 AM
Apart from u2,

Radiators from Space
Whipping Boy
My Bloody Valentine
Bothy Band
Boomtown Rats
A House
The Blades
Thin Lizzy
Clannad
Snow Patrol
Ash
Undertones
SLF
Dubliners

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 10:46 AM
[QUOTE=Peadar]
To me it's just music and if people choose to be incited or offended by it then they need to take stock of what's important in life.
[QUOTE]

Re-affirming my point. Seems to me a lot of their supporters DO choose to be incited by it. They DO need to take stock IMO.
Fair enough if you think it's just music but i have to disagree with you on that. In all fairness, how many other bands of the same musical genre sell out like they do? It's quite clear it's the lyrical content that brings in the crowds. And anyway, again IMO, it's total tripe. Maximum cringe factor stuff.

Peadar
21/12/2004, 10:48 AM
In all fairness, how many other bands of the same musical genre sell out like they do?

I couldn't begin to give you exact figures but I'd say the Dubliners aren't far behind.

dortie
21/12/2004, 10:52 AM

Here here...!

Lionel Ritchie
21/12/2004, 10:57 AM

Fine I won't. They're still a shower of inbred handlebar tache wearing wah gob****es though -as are their mirror image from the loyalist side Platoon -who I don't doubt will sell out a few nights in East Belfast over christmas too.

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 11:01 AM
Dubliners are a different class altogether. Widely acclaimed even outside Ireland. There's no point dancing around the fact that the music is secondary to the message in Wolfe Tones songs. They contribute nothing musically. That doesn't discount them from being 'Best Irish Band' of course :rolleyes: ; i accept it's not just the music that makes a band. What gets on my wick is people like them who lay claim on the right to voice Irish opinion when they quite clearly don't represent that opinion. I know that line of argument is not for this thread. Getting back to the point, throw us out a few examples reasons they should be voted best Irish Band. I can't think of one.

Peadar
21/12/2004, 11:17 AM
Dubliners are a different class altogether.

You said genre, not class.
I answered your question.
I'm not dancing around anything.
We're not allowed to dance in work for health and safety reasons.
Anyone who's seen me dance will be grateful for such regulations. :D

Getting back to the point, throw us out a few examples reasons they should be voted best Irish Band. I can't think of one.

I voted for U2 so I don't need to give you any reason why the Tones are the best band.

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 11:35 AM
You said genre, not class.
same thing, no?

I answered your question.
It was a rhetorical question :p

I'm not dancing around anything.
We're not allowed to dance in work for health and safety reasons.
Anyone who's seen me dance will be grateful for such regulations. :D
:D

I voted for U2 so I don't need to give you any reason why the Tones are the best band.
I know you don't - i thought there was more than just you and i having this debate though.

noby
21/12/2004, 11:39 AM
Ummm, between Abba, Roxette and Ace of Base I'll wager Sweden could claim to have the biggest album sellers per head of population.

I'll see your Sweden, and raise you Jamaica

As for Australia, U2 could sell albums for the next millenium, they still won't come close to a band like AC/DC

That's who I meant to say, Peadar
:oActually, no, I'll stick with Rolf

Peadar
21/12/2004, 11:44 AM
Ummm, between Abba, Roxette and Ace of Base I'll wager Sweden could claim to have the biggest album sellers per head of population.

When I was in Tokyo and Seoul there was massive posters of Westlife everywhere. The shops were well stocked with Enya, Clannad and the Corrs.
They guys in the office were very keen to point all of this out to me.

When I was in Manila The Corrs had just played a gig there and everyone was talking about how great they were. There was such a buzz about them.
Not one single sighting of a Swedish band.

Peadar
21/12/2004, 11:57 AM
You could come closer to home than Manilla. Everyone in Ireland is talking about Paddy Casey, but it doesn't mean he's outsold Abba quite yet...

How does Irish people raving about an Irish artist compare to Filipino people raving about an Irish band?

patsh
21/12/2004, 12:12 PM
It's quite obvious why the "British Isles" will have an out of proportional influence on the rest of the world.

1. Rock & Roll, Pop etc. etc. mostly use English as their language of choice.
2. America/Australia/New Zealand were/are colonies of Britain, all of whom have had large influxes of British/Irish emigration, who brought their culture and obviously the music.
3. The British Empire has left a legacy of "looking towards Britain" in many countries and the commonwealth continues that to this day.

So the major music markets have been directly influenced by Irish/Scottish/Welsh/English traditional music, and in America, it got mixed in with the music brought from Africa to form a brand of music which found it's way back to the British Isles again, who then took it on and improved it.

Fairly obvious really.

(Just thinking, this would be a good subject for a documentary series.........;) )

Rovers Fellow!
21/12/2004, 12:35 PM
The Pogues. Too often remembered for the hard drinking and madness of Shane Mcgowan and not remembered enough for the brilliant unique brand of music and amazing songwriting ability of Mcgowan. U2 of course have to be up there, but personally havent liked any of U2's stuff in the last 5-10 years. The Dubliners too and surprised the Chieftains havent got a mention yet.

fosterdollar
21/12/2004, 12:43 PM
Its amzing the success of Irish bands 'out East'. That muck band Bellefire do realy well there I believe. Ash also huge in Japan/Australia. Not so small here eiether

Lionel Ritchie
21/12/2004, 1:09 PM
Sultans of Ping were apparently very very big in Japan -which in money terms is comparable with being huge in Britain AND Germany at the same time.

In the second half of the 90's the Cranberries apparently sold the vast majority of their records in the non-English speaking territories of the world (wonder why that was? :eek: )

Dublin12
21/12/2004, 1:32 PM
Says it all about Japan when the Sultans of Ping can make it!!

Tha Cranberries were huge in America before they made it in Europe and are still a big draw in Asia today,I'm not into them myself,the first album was ok at the time,nothing great but sold alot,thanks to Linger.

M@ttitude
21/12/2004, 9:41 PM
Did no one mention Rory Gallagher? Theres a street named after him in France, He's sort of a band in his own kind of way.. U2 are obviously the best band to come out of this country, Im sure if there was a vote theyd win.. Or thin lizzy? How bout the saw doctors :eek: :p

CollegeTillIDie
21/12/2004, 11:49 PM
Yiz are all a bunch of children..... How is it none of ye even mentioned Horslips? :confused:

As regards some other bands who should be considered for any top 10 list who were Irish some successful others not....
In no particular order: The Boomtown Rats; The Lookalikes; The Atrix; Stepaside; The Pop Mechanics; Les Enfants; Tuesday Blue (sadly neglected Limerick Band of the late 1980's and early 1990's) oh and representing the Occupied territories... Mama's Boys :rolleyes:

And ones who qualify under FIFA Rules;
Oasis, The Beatles, The Finns, Crowded House, Split Enz ( them Finn boys do get around)

Rory Gallagher should be considered under solo artists he was a real breakthorugh artist. Taste featuring Rory should be considered above too as should Them ( Van the Man), Skid Row ( Phillo and Gary Moore)

patsh
22/12/2004, 9:03 AM
Horslips were truely shocking.....:rolleyes:

I used to like them for awhile, in a kind of "great for a mad ceili type dance when you were half-****ed" way, but there is not a single piece of theirs that has stood the test of time, with the very, very arguable exception of Dearg Doom.
I had forgotten about John Borrowman and The Atrix, and the Rats did do some fine stuff, but
The Lookalikes?:eek: , signed by Rod Stewarts label ?, and never made a decent record after?
Stepaside?:eek: :eek: = MOR borefest
RUBBISH!

Lionel Ritchie
22/12/2004, 11:23 AM
Says it all about Japan when the Sultans of Ping can make it!!

Tha Cranberries were huge in America before they made it in Europe and are still a big draw in Asia today,I'm not into them myself,the first album was ok at the time,nothing great but sold alot,thanks to Linger.

Says it all about Japan? what that they can think for themselves every once in a while and not like something just coz Tom Dunne, NME or Q told them to like it. The Japanese also buy U2 CDs in record numbers -what does that say about them?

Agreed about the Cranberries btw. Had to make it to the US top ten before they were asked to do the late late. compared with Boyzone who hadn't made a record yet being on a few weeks earlier coz Louis the cnut phoned and asked could the late late give one of his new "acts" a leg up. I'm telling ye this is a deeply corrupt land.

Babysis
22/12/2004, 12:40 PM
AYE agree with ye tuff paddy -- again -- saw doctors are one of hte best acts live. And they write some very funny tunes.

oh the green and red of mayo i can see it sitll
its soft and craggy bog lands
its tall majestic hills
where hte ocean kissess ireland and the waves caress its shores
oh the feeling it came over me to stay forever more, foreeeeeeeever moooooooooreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Superb band, such a great atmosphere live. i saw them 2 weeks ago in Shepherds bush, and it was fantastic.
Also managed to see the pogues on Monday night. Absolutley amazing. Shane Mcgowan was on excellent form, and although no one could understand him when he was speaking, his singing is still excellent. A great night, made only better by the fact I got given the tickets as an xmas bonus at work. Happy days! :D

sadloserkid
22/12/2004, 2:00 PM
Therapy?
Snow Patrol
The Fat Lady Sings
Whipping Boy
U2
Thin Lizzy
Wilt/Kerbdog
Reamonn (Irish singer/German band)
Undetones
Ash