PDA

View Full Version : Kerr on Croke park?

gypsyfella
20/12/2004, 3:34 PM
anyone see the piece with him in the Sunday MIrror y;day?

mate told me it was something about him saying the Croker pitch ould be far from ideal for soccer..

didnt read it but thought there might be more on here...

GF

eirebhoy
20/12/2004, 4:03 PM
The clamour continues apace to open Croke Park but dissension has come from an unlikely source this morning, Irish Soccer Manager Brian Kerr.

Kerr has voiced his concerns that the benefits gained from the 80,000 strong crowd would be outweighed by the Croke Park pitch:

"I was asked whether I’d like to see the team playing in Croke Park, but my priority is in terms of our team, to play a soccer match on a pitch prepared for soccer".

Kerr, no stranger to seeing his sides playing on poor surfaces having managed St. Pats for 10 years, on some rough terrain, continues: "It’s a stunning stadium but opening it up is a GAA. decision. What I’m concerned about is playing our games in a place where we are more likely to win. The crowd in Croke Park would certainly help but the pitch wouldn’t".

"We have a set plan for how we want the pitch. I want it a number 1 short and watered heavily. That may not be possible with Croke Park."

He may be known for his meticulous preparation for games but in this instance Kerr would be advised of the old chestnut "Beggars can't be choosers".

Cowboy
20/12/2004, 4:08 PM
He may be known for his meticulous preparation for games but in this instance Kerr would be advised of the old chestnut "Beggars can't be choosers".

True but i think he is simply flagging an issue which may be important in the future, not much point in saying this afterwards, would just sound like a lame excuse.

Pat O' Banton
20/12/2004, 4:30 PM
Kerr would be advised of the old chestnut "Beggars can't be choosers".

The boys from OWM will have a field day with this :eek: ;)

Bald Student
20/12/2004, 4:50 PM
my priority is in terms of our team, to play a soccer match on a pitch prepared for soccer

Does that not rule out Landsdown Rd?

gypsyfella
21/12/2004, 2:17 PM
The clamour continues apace to open Croke Park but dissension has come from an unlikely source this morning, Irish Soccer Manager Brian Kerr.

Kerr has voiced his concerns that the benefits gained from the 80,000 strong crowd would be outweighed by the Croke Park pitch:

"I was asked whether I?d like to see the team playing in Croke Park, but my priority is in terms of our team, to play a soccer match on a pitch prepared for soccer".

Kerr, no stranger to seeing his sides playing on poor surfaces having managed St. Pats for 10 years, on some rough terrain, continues: "It?s a stunning stadium but opening it up is a GAA. decision. What I?m concerned about is playing our games in a place where we are more likely to win. The crowd in Croke Park would certainly help but the pitch wouldn?t".

"We have a set plan for how we want the pitch. I want it a number 1 short and watered heavily. That may not be possible with Croke Park."

`cheers mate - where is that from?