PDA

View Full Version : Athlone sign two keepers

galwaygirl
20/12/2004, 1:03 PM
taken from
http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=2417

Athlone Town have ensured there will be competition for the goalkeeper's shirt next season. They have today announced the signing of two goalkeepers.
Tadhg Murphy and Danny O'Leary both former Kildare keepers have joined the midlands club.
O'Leary joins from Kildare while Murphy spent much of last season as under-21 goalkeeper for Bohemians.
Stephen Kelly is quoted on AthloneTownFC.com : "Both players have a lot of experience, and are good vocal keepers. They will both fight for a starting place, and will keep each other on their toes, which will only be good for the Club".

sadloserkid
22/12/2004, 12:29 PM
I know Fennelly went to Cobh but where's Graham Loughman gone?

Ash
22/12/2004, 12:47 PM
Graham got into the Garda and is taking a year
out of football while he is in Templemore!

Yep, Fenners is gone and good riddance. He's rubbish

pineapple stu
22/12/2004, 12:58 PM
Which was the keeper who got injured in the first game in Belfield last season? Didn't rate him much at all, have to say.

sadloserkid
22/12/2004, 1:01 PM
Graham got into the Garda and is taking a year
out of football while he is in Templemore!

Yep, Fenners is gone and good riddance. He's rubbish

Thanks for that.

Fennelly's been around though for a keeper who's never quite convinced: Wimbeldon, Limerick, Waterford, Dundalk, Monaghan, Athlone and now Cobh...

Ash
22/12/2004, 2:09 PM
Which was the keeper who got injured in the first game in Belfield last season? Didn't rate him much at all, have to say.

Yep, that was Fenners.
Apparently he got lost trying to find the ground the same day!?!?!?
Cant kick to save his life, everything is a slice

monutdfc
22/12/2004, 2:39 PM
He only ever played one game for us, I think, against Dundalk in what was to be Bobby Browne's last game as manager. He played most of the first half and all of the second half with a broken ankle - Dundalk scored with the only 2 shots they had on target. Eventually he was substituted when they won a penalty in injury time(Keith Carthy going down easier than RVN), centre-back Graham Doyle went into goal and saved the penalty. Fennelly got a standing ovation as he was helped round to the changing rooms.

Obviously we had no sub 'keeper that night, but surely a centre-half in goal was better than a goalkeeper with a broken ankle!

CollegeTillIDie
22/12/2004, 9:31 PM
Anthony Fennelly has had problems with his ankle for the past couple of seasons and he has been very unfortunate with injuries. Cobh will be a good move for him. Danny O'Leary got my vote for best keeper in the Division last season and he will be a great help to Athlone's promotion challenge in 2005.

monutdfc
23/12/2004, 8:35 AM
Danny O'Leary is a quality 'keeper. He won our supporters player of the year a couple of seasons ago. His one weakness is under crosses - he's not the tallest and he sometimes misjudges them.

fgmxx
29/12/2004, 9:28 PM
Sorry to put the knife into Fennelly, he seemed a nice lad, but he spent most of his time with Dundalk injured.

The logistics of a Cork based keeper playing for Dundalk defeat me.

Good luck to him at Cobh.......at last a sensible move for him. :confused:

sadloserkid
30/12/2004, 12:23 PM
The logistics of a Cork based keeper playing for Dundalk defeat me.

According to the man himself at the time (when we asked the same question of him in Oriel Park) he was happy to stick with Dundalk because he was on a monster, monster contract. :)

SligoRoversfan
04/01/2005, 10:12 PM
Danny O Leary? a former player of ours,is always welcome at The Showgrounds(!!) HA!!!! HA!!!!!