PDA

View Full Version : LOI player has failed drugs test

Dunny
21/10/2015, 3:51 PM
Coke i hear/read elewhere
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/1021/736525-players-body-to-represent/?

nigel-harps1954
21/10/2015, 4:29 PM
Just throwing this out there, but a player from a club in Dublin hasn't played since September 5th with no indication since of injury or suspension.

*If this post is inappropriate or too much info, mods do feel free to delete.

Martinho II
21/10/2015, 4:33 PM
thought it was one of our one who signed from Waterford a few months ago and hasnt played much since. but what Nigel said puts this to bed!

outspoken
21/10/2015, 4:56 PM
Yep heard the same as Nigel had posted and if true il be gutted as he is a genuinely love lad who's just had a few things go against him, hopefully he hasn't become addicted to that sh1te and he can get himself back in order

total hoofball
21/10/2015, 7:20 PM
If Shane Grimes got an 8 month ban for carelessly not checking what was in an energy drink then this player in question should be expecting a minimum 1 year ban for taking a class A illegal drug. On top of a poor performing season from him with his current club I expect his LOI career is done for. No sympathy.

Charlie Darwin
21/10/2015, 7:26 PM
I expect his LOI career is done for. No sympathy.
I highly doubt a club will refuse to hire a player for doing cocaine, unless I imagined Barry Ryan's 20-odd-year career.

The player is supposedly contesting the charge even though he waived having his B sample tested, so presumably he feels there's some mitigating factors.

outspoken
21/10/2015, 9:12 PM
The players career wasn't really going anywhere anyway, he was considering quitting all together before he signed for his current club so I'd imagine this might be the final nail in his careers coffin which is a shame because as I said he's a lovely lad and had great potential. Seemed popular enough with his clubs fans as well.

Nesta99
22/10/2015, 12:06 AM
If Shane Grimes got an 8 month ban for carelessly not checking what was in an energy drink

Grimes was a mix of unlucky and naive - DMAA had just been added to the WADA banned list so he was probably using a supplement that was legal one day and then became illegal, add in the random test before awareness of the change in status of Jack3D . While players should be careful club doctors should really be up to speed! 8 months from a disciplinary panel that acknowledged that this was an unintentional use of a banned substance (something that is probably growing on the windowsill of many a grannys home all over the country) was harsh imo.

If the player in question has a prescription for some of the local anaesthetics (lidocaine) or a couple of anti-biotics that can cause a false positive then the ban may not be that severe. But again the club doc should be aware and the sports council informed in case a random test happens. Most sensible thing is that players only use their club doctor as they will know what to avoid prescribing. Ffs even a Ventolin inhaler can cause a sports person to be investigated for a dodgy performance enhancing substance!

Or of course he had an idiotic moment and is guilty as charged.

ATFC-1887
22/10/2015, 1:22 AM
The players career wasn't really going anywhere anyway, he was considering quitting all together before he signed for his current club so I'd imagine this might be the final nail in his careers coffin which is a shame because as I said he's a lovely lad and had great potential. Seemed popular enough with his clubs fans as well.

Heard he is leaving the country in a month or two anyways so this ban he gets won't make a difference to him.

Longfordian
22/10/2015, 6:53 AM
It'll affect him if he wants to play football wherever he's going. He may not though.

Mr A
22/10/2015, 11:31 AM
Disagree that it was harsh on Grimes. It's his responsibility to ensure banned substances don't get in his system. It's part of being a senior player. If he was a cyclist or track and field athlete at any level he'd get two years no questions asked.