PDA

View Full Version : Promotion/Relegation play off

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Sam_Heggy
19/10/2015, 1:20 PM
So the first division play off games are starting this Friday.

23rd - UCD v Harps
30th - Harps v UCD

It'll be a tough game for both sides, alot will depend on the fitness/availability of key players on both sides.

Realistically the Prem side could be any one of Limerick, Drogheda, Sligo or Galway. That side along with the First division play off winner will have from Friday 30th until Monday 2nd to prepare for the promotion/relegation play-off.

When will the draw be made for who gets home advantage?

Surely the 6 teams in question should be given the chance to prepare for what could be a lengthy away trip on 3 days after their previous game?

Anyway. Who's everyones tips for the play-offs?

I personally think, if Foy, Boyle and Harkin are fit we should get past UCD over 2 legs.
Sligo look to be the team for the play-off but they have a massive game on the last day v Limerick which could decide alot.

Harps v Sligo play-off.

Sligo favourites.

ThePrisoner
19/10/2015, 2:29 PM
After the rubbish produced by SR in the Showgrounds last Saturday, FH would be favourites in my book.

A lot of the SR players had no interest in playing, not even for personal pride. A lot clearly don't want to be there. Take the last few weeks' wages look for a new club.

It was obvious from their attitude on the pitch.

Either way there will have to be a big clear out of players shortly.

Can't see SR staying up. Away to Pat's on Friday night and last match at home to Limerick.

Where as FH have everything to play for. Promotion and the opportunity to rub shoulders with Dundalk, Shams, Pat's, Cork. What better motivation could FH have?

PartySaint
19/10/2015, 2:44 PM
You'd think if Limerick could get themselves into a play-off the momentum would see them get through it.

I wonder if UCD's games in Europe this season can help them when it comes to a 2 legged play-off against a better side if they can beat Harps.

ciaraa
19/10/2015, 2:47 PM
After the rubbish produced by SR in the Showgrounds last Saturday, FH would be favourites in my book.

A lot of the SR players had no interest in playing, not even for personal pride. A lot clearly don't want to be there. Take the last few weeks' wages look for a new club.

It was obvious from their attitude on the pitch.

Either way there will have to be a big clear out of players shortly.

Can't see SR staying up. Away to Pat's on Friday night and last match at home to Limerick.

Where as FH have everything to play for. Promotion and the opportunity to rub shoulders with Dundalk, Shams, Pat's, Cork. What better motivation could FH have?

From the way you're talking then its Sligo to finish bottom unless Drogs and Lims lose both their last games? I'd think Lims should pick up at least a point if not 3 and Drogs should beat Longford now they are safe - or at least draw.

NeverFeltBetter
19/10/2015, 3:09 PM
This Limerick side could go out and beat Shams on Friday, or lose 5-0, and I wouldn't bat an eyelid. They are just too unpredictable in terms of what they'll bring to any game, and no way would I feel like they were stand-out favorites if they were to get to a play-off.

If it comes down to Limerick needing to win in Sligo, I wouldn't be confident, no matter how bad Sligo have been.

pineapple stu
19/10/2015, 6:19 PM
What's the dates for the final(s)?

Presuming Benson is back from injury of course; otherwise you can ignore my question!

nigel-harps1954
19/10/2015, 6:21 PM
What's the dates for the final(s)?

Presuming Benson is back from injury of course; otherwise you can ignore my question!

First Leg – Monday, November 2 at 7.45pm
Second Leg – Friday, November 6 at 7.45pm

Mr A
19/10/2015, 7:50 PM
UCD are very dangerous and have some excellent players that missed our last encounter. They have two wins in a row now after a barren spell and will be relishing the role of underdogs. A lot of people writing them off but am very nervous about these games.

Olander
19/10/2015, 7:58 PM
UCD are very dangerous and have some excellent players that missed our last encounter. They have two wins in a row now after a barren spell and will be relishing the role of underdogs. A lot of people writing them off but am very nervous about these games.
Are Finn Harps the bookies favourites?

I certainly wouldn't be calling UCD the underdogs anyway. They've got more experience in these types of games than Harps and they retained a lot of their players from the Premier Division.

Last year, we finished behind Shelbourne and we pĂ­ssed on them over two legs, it doesn't mean much. All the same I will be hoping Harps do it. UCD have the slight edge with a fully fit squad I think, I hope Ollie doesn't approach the first leg too negatively.

Mr A
19/10/2015, 8:45 PM
Not sure overall but odds for Friday are:

UCD 13/10
Draw 9/4
Harps 7/4

pineapple stu
19/10/2015, 10:14 PM
First Leg – Monday, November 2 at 7.45pm
Second Leg – Friday, November 6 at 7.45pm
Is it decided who's home/away in those games?

Would have thought the Premier Division side would have home advantage second (like how Harps have home advantage second), but we were away second last year.

nigel-harps1954
20/10/2015, 7:02 AM
Coin toss decides it Stu. Hasn't been decided yet..

osarusan
20/10/2015, 8:24 AM
You'd think if Limerick could get themselves into a play-off the momentum would see them get through it.

Our momentum has kind of ground to a halt.

The effort over the last 9-10 games has taken an awful lot out of the players, and they don't have much left to give I'd say.

If we play against Rovers like we did against Derry we'll get nothing anyway.

nigel-harps1954
20/10/2015, 11:47 AM
Looking likely to be close to 250 Harps fans in Belfield on Friday night. Three buses heading down, heaps of people driving, large Dublin base of fans as well as others based around the country heading up for the game.

This could be interesting.

Sam_Heggy
20/10/2015, 2:46 PM
Is it decided who's home/away in those games?

Would have thought the Premier Division side would have home advantage second (like how Harps have home advantage second), but we were away second last year.

I'd argue that the 1st Div team should have 2nd leg at home.
Whichever team from 1st Div is in play off final will have earned it. The prem teams achievement is not finishing bottom of the league.

The fact that the home/away legs are not decided is a joke.

Dodge
20/10/2015, 4:18 PM
Last 3 years the first division team has been at home in the 2nd leg. It was the opposite for the previous 3 years

Longfordian
20/10/2015, 5:03 PM
Looking likely to be close to 250 Harps fans in Belfield on Friday night. Three buses heading down, heaps of people driving, large Dublin base of fans as well as others based around the country heading up for the game.

This could be interesting.

Could get nawty

MattB11
20/10/2015, 5:42 PM
Usually proper kicks off after we start the pro trinity chants

Sam_Heggy
27/10/2015, 1:31 PM
Draw for the home/away dates for Promotion/Relegation play off is today is it?

ForzaHoop
28/10/2015, 8:37 AM
Great win away for the Harps in UCD, now for the 2nd league in Ballybofey !

osarusan
28/10/2015, 8:46 AM
Draw for the home/away dates for Promotion/Relegation play off is today is it?

Was it held yesterday?

oriel
28/10/2015, 9:56 AM
When was the FD play off structure changed? Didn't this used to be just one game, 2nd v 3rd with team in 2nd having home advantage then the two legs kick in for the play off final. FD winner v 2nd last PD.

Sam_Heggy
28/10/2015, 9:57 AM
Was it held yesterday?

Was supposed to be but still no word.

I think clubs will be notified by carrier pigeon on Monday morning, it's a new ploy to build up hype around the match.....

Sam_Heggy
28/10/2015, 10:00 AM
When was the FD play off structure changed? Didn't this used to be just one game, 2nd v 3rd with team in 2nd having home advantage then the two legs kick in for the play off final. FD winner v 2nd last PD.

Seems to change every season.

In our last promotion season we beat Dundalk in a 1 off game in Finn Park 2-0 and then beat Waterford over 2 legs to get promoted, 2nd leg was in Waterford.

gufc2000
28/10/2015, 10:27 AM
Think this system has been in place since the First Division was cut to 8 teams

harps1954
28/10/2015, 10:48 AM
First Division club will have advantage of 2nd Leg at home in Final - clubs were informed this morning. So, Drogheda or Limerick at home to UCD or Harps on Monday (2nd November). Second leg will be UCD or Harps at home to Drogheda or Limerick on Friday 6th November.

jinxy lilywhite
28/10/2015, 10:56 AM
I would say Harps or UCD would be hoping for Sligo to beat Limerick this weekend and for them to be relegated. Drogheda would be the poorest of the 2.
You would think Limerick should be strong enough to beat Harps or UCD

ForzaHoop
28/10/2015, 10:59 AM
Ciaran Coll’s goal after just 24 seconds of last Friday night’s 1st leg at the UCD Bowl is the difference between the two sides as Harps and UCD meet again this weekend with another step up the ladder on the way to the Premier Division the prize for the victor.

Harps, having won on Friday and with the knowledge that they comprehensively beat the students when they visited Finn Park last month, will go into the game in confident mood and hope to progress to meet the second from bottom team in next week’s play-off final – likely to be either Limerick or Drogheda United.

Harps also go into the game in the knowledge that in eight previous play-off games at Finn Park, they have yet to taste defeat during game time – although Longford Town won on penalties in 2002. Longford are also the only team to have scored in those eight games – the other seven all saw the opposition leave Finn Park scoreless.

Finn Park has also been somewhat of a fortress for Harps this season. In fifteen games in all competitions at the Ballybofey venue this year, Harps have tasted defeat only once. They have conceded only 8 goals on home soil – four of these coming from champions Wexford Youths while UCD and Waterford scored two apiece. 11 of the 15 games have seen Ciaran Gallagher keep a clean sheet.

However, despite all that, Harps Manager Ollie Horgan knows that one poor performance from his side could see UCD overturn the 1-0 scoreline and end his team’s promotion hopes.

“We had a good result last Friday night but we ran our luck to get out of Belfield without conceding at least one if not a couple of goals,” said Horgan as he reflected on last week’s trip to Dublin.

“It was a great start,” he said, “and one of the few times we got behind UCD’s defence. But, the longer the game went on, the more UCD took control.

“We were under huge pressure in the second half, we couldn’t get possession of the ball mainly due to UCD’s dominance at that stage. We will need to improve on our performance to try to stop a very talented UCD side this weekend. With Robbie Benson back, UCD will be even more of a threat than they were the last night. This game could go all the way to extra time or even penalties.”

Harps will have their biggest home crowd of the season on Friday and Horgan paid tribute to the large number of the blue and white army who outnumbered the home support at Belfield last Friday.

“Our supporters were great on Friday as they have been all year,” he said. “Those that were in Belfield would realise that we were very lucky to get out of there with a result. Our home supporters will remember when a full UCD side came up to Ballybofey back in May and played brilliant football. We will need all the help we can get this Friday from those on the terraces.”

Kevin McHugh is a doubt after limping off during the latter stages of last week’s first leg as is Damien NcNulty who picked up a knock during the 1-0 victory. Nathan Boyle is a definite absentee but Ciaran Coll, who departed proceedings during the first half last Friday, should be ok for this week’s home leg.

The away goals rule is not used in the play-offs, so if the scores are level on aggregate at full-time on Friday, extra-time and penalties will decide the outcome if necessary.

Dunny
28/10/2015, 11:34 AM
Drogs announce Pete Mahon has returned to the club(as zombie coach)
https://twitter.com/DroghedaUnited/status/659344876295843840

nigel-harps1954
28/10/2015, 12:03 PM
Play-off details confirmed by FAI.

The draw to determine the order of the ties in the SSE Airtricity League Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final took place at FAI HQ on Wednesday morning and resulted in the 11th-placed team in the Premier Division having home advantage for the first leg.

The Play-Off will be contested between the team which finishes 11th in the Premier Division and the winner of the First Division Promotion Play-Off between Finn Harps and UCD.

Dates for Promotion/Relegation Play-Off Final

First Leg: Monday, November 2 - 11th-placed Premier Division team v Winner of 2nd v 3rd First Division Play-Off (Finn Harps/UCD)

Second Leg: Friday, November 6 - Winner of 2nd v 3rd First Division Play-Off (Finn Harps/UCD) v 11th-placed Premier Division team.

In the event of the scores being level after the completion of the second leg match, then extra-time of 30 minutes duration shall be played. If the scores are still level, then a penalty shoot-out shall take place to determined the winners.

Nesta99
28/10/2015, 3:43 PM
Must have blocked out that play-off game v Harps. Waterford just dont do play-offs well at all. Quick turn around from Friday to Monday which could be interesting. Limerick having Harps visit after giving themselves a chance will be a lot tougher than a Drogheda side that has been in freefall if Limerick dont beat Sligo. Drogheda, on the other hand could be buoyed if the get a result in Tallaght. That Harps play-off record is impressive but of course mean nothing if they dont keep the tie alive Monday night. If its in Drogheda might head to the game in among the away support of course! All assuming UCD dont turn things aroun...

nigel-harps1954
28/10/2015, 4:02 PM
That Harps play-off record is impressive but of course mean nothing if they dont keep the tie alive Monday night.

Funnily, Harps play-off record is abysmal. Only succeeded through the play-offs once in seven tries. The home record is good though alright, so hopefully that record, and this seasons home record of only one loss in all competitions (aside from a penalty shootout), remains intact.

ForzaHoop
28/10/2015, 4:04 PM
Huge crowd in Ballybofey this Friday and possibly larger if they can hold on to beat UCD

Martinho II
28/10/2015, 4:44 PM
thats a strange move to get Pete Mahon back in after leavin the club a few wks ago! wot are Drogheda playin at?

nigel-harps1954
28/10/2015, 5:00 PM
thats a strange move to get Pete Mahon back in after leavin the club a few wks ago! wot are Drogheda playin at?

I'd say there were little other options once Kinsellas 60 days had run out.

Ezeikial
28/10/2015, 8:37 PM

Window dressing - Kinsella remains in charge

nigel-harps1954
28/10/2015, 10:11 PM
Promo video from Harps ahead of Friday nights game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIuIPJ5k5E

Straightstory
29/10/2015, 10:25 AM
Drogs fans torn between going to Tallaght - where it's unlikely they'll beat Shams (a draw's no use) - or watching a more intriguing and harder-to-call Sligo v Limerick game on TV...

ForzaHoop
29/10/2015, 10:36 AM
I wonder will the final play off games be televised ?

nigel-harps1954
29/10/2015, 10:50 AM
I wonder will the final play off games be televised ?

Doubtful really. Unless RTE or Setanta pick up Friday nights game, Monday definitely won't be on. Setanta have rugby on live on Monday night and RTE won't disrupt their regular programming.

Nesta99
29/10/2015, 10:51 AM
Drogs fans torn between going to Tallaght - where it's unlikely they'll beat Shams (a draw's no use) - or watching a more intriguing and harder-to-call Sligo v Limerick game on TV...

Dont see any difficulty myself, you go out and support your team in a season defining game regardless of the odds!

dundalkfc10
29/10/2015, 10:52 AM

Was talking to one of the F45 group last night, and they couldnt even fill a bus to Tallaght tomorrow.
Reckon it will be a very low away crowd.

Its a pity, but if Drogheda go down, I cant see them surviving

Jofspring
29/10/2015, 10:53 AM
Chances are these days most will have smart phones with Data plans. Go to tallaght, download rte player and you can keep an eye on both games.

White Horse
29/10/2015, 10:54 AM
Chances are these days most will have smart phones with Data plans. Go to tallaght, download rte player and you can keep an eye on both games.

But these are Drogheda fans. Smart phones?

Nesta99
29/10/2015, 11:34 AM

Bwahahahahaha! thats a god one....

Yossarian
29/10/2015, 6:56 PM

Well according to Ger Canning people are still bringing transistor radios to games.

patrickccfc
29/10/2015, 10:27 PM
Well according to Ger Canning people are still bringing transistor radios to games.

Did ye leave any behind from when ye were there?

Even then, I'm not sure Drogheda folk have evolved enough to be able to operate one of them

Charlie Darwin
30/10/2015, 12:12 AM
People or Dundalk fans?

ForzaHoop
30/10/2015, 7:36 AM
D DAY, Hoping for a good Harps win tonight in front of a large crowd :)

You never know maybe a good result could inspire builders to get back to work

nigel-harps1954
30/10/2015, 7:54 AM
Car troubles mean I've to rely on public transport to get to the match tonight. 7 hours on bus to get as far as Letterkenny, and a lift from there.

Half tempted to bring a bag of cans and pretend it's a bus full of supporters going to the game.