09/10/2015, 11:24 PM
Hats off to the best team in the country, congrats Dundalk

Dalymountrower
10/10/2015, 5:54 AM
Well done the town.
Sweet night for SK to win it against a club that treated him so shabbily

osarusan
10/10/2015, 6:21 AM
Yeah, the best team by miles, and playing decent football too.

Congratulations, worthy champions.

Dunny
10/10/2015, 9:28 AM
Cheers.
Can we bang another 2/3 winning LOI winning sides out of this crop of talent before they they pish off for bigger money? SURE,why not?

osarusan
10/10/2015, 9:33 AM
Can you hang on to Towell?

He's been instrumental in winning the league for Dundalk, but I'd imagine a few English clubs would be looking at him.

patrickccfc
10/10/2015, 9:53 AM
Well done dundalk hugely deserving champions. It takes a good team to win a league but it takes a great team to retain it. Annoying that because if it wasn't for yourselves, we could've been the ones winning 2 in a row. But this season in particular ye have been miles ahead of everyone and I'd say there wasn't even a title race this season, although even up to last night rte reckoned we still had a shout.

Dunny
10/10/2015, 10:03 AM
Can you hang on to Towell?

He's been instrumental in winning the league for Dundalk, but I'd imagine a few English clubs would be looking at him.
Richie says he's not leaving for a trial in the UK or anywhere,his woman is expecting soon......throw enough money..?

Dunny
10/10/2015, 10:05 AM
Also remember we couldn't replace Hoban.
WHO ??

nigel-harps1954
10/10/2015, 10:52 AM
Massive coup if Dundalk can hold onto their squad, and especially Towell.

osarusan
10/10/2015, 11:02 AM
Richie says he's not leaving for a trial in the UK or anywhere,his woman is expecting soon......throw enough money..?
Enough money would do it I'd say.

Depending on the offers, it would be hard to turn down an opportunity which the LOI can never really provide.

Is he on a longer contract than one expiring at the end of the season?

White Horse
10/10/2015, 1:35 PM
Enough money would do it I'd say.

Depending on the offers, it would be hard to turn down an opportunity which the LOI can never really provide.

Is he on a longer contract than one expiring at the end of the season?

Richie said this week that he turned down Peterborough and other league one clubs. He said that he would consider offers from the Championship or higher but has no intention of moving to the lower divisions as the money is no better than at Dundalk, he gets to live close to his family, and gets to play is a side as good as Dundalk.

There is a long term contract at Dundalk waiting for Richie to sign.

patrickccfc
10/10/2015, 2:01 PM
Richie said this week that he turned down Peterborough and other league one clubs. He said that he would consider offers from the Championship or higher but has no intention of moving to the lower divisions as the money is no better than at Dundalk, he gets to live close to his family, and gets to play is a side as good as Dundalk.

There is a long term contract at Dundalk waiting for Richie to sign.

That's great to hear. Most players over here would jump at the chance of going to league 1 or 2 but just shows he has his head screwed on.

Ezeikial
10/10/2015, 3:33 PM
That's great to hear. Most players over here would jump at the chance of going to league 1 or 2 but just shows he has his head screwed on.

Most would jump at the chance to earn good money where ever they can get it

Patrick Hoban is allegedly on stgĀ£80,000 pa. at Oxford Utd in League 2. Taking the typical LoI 40 week contract into account that would equate to about €2700 per week here.

patrickccfc
10/10/2015, 7:14 PM
Yeah that's it, I mean he could easily go to the lower leagues and earn more money, but he seems to have a bit more ambition about him which is good because he would be good enough for the championship or higher

White Horse
10/10/2015, 7:56 PM
My favourite picture from last night.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5682/22081482531_bddefc10c9.jpg

patrickccfc
10/10/2015, 8:15 PM
He won't admit it, but I'd say inside he is absolutely loving the fact he won the title in tallaght

White Horse
10/10/2015, 8:24 PM
He won't admit it, but I'd say inside he is absolutely loving the fact he won the title in tallaght

He wouldn't be human if he didn't feel some additional satisfaction. Personally, I believe him when he says it is not a driving motivation. He doesn't strike me as a bitter person.

Ezeikial
11/10/2015, 10:53 AM
Sunday Indo's Sean Ryan must be smokin dope

For once, this was more a case of digging out a result rather than a triumphant march to glory, and a lot of the credit for that must go to Pat Fenlon's young team who, more and more, look the likely successors to Dundalk.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/dundalk-swap-glitz-for-grit-to-seal-title-31599267.html

jinxy lilywhite
11/10/2015, 11:08 AM
Sunday Indo's Sean Ryan must be smokin dope

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/dundalk-swap-glitz-for-grit-to-seal-title-31599267.html

Dublin media eh. Alot of begrudgery towards the league retention.

We will see next year how good Fenlons team are. Admittedly that was the best I seen them play us bit we were nervous and didn't keep it simple but he still needs 4 or 5 players to compete with us.

White Horse
11/10/2015, 11:27 AM
I didn't see anything in that Rovers side that would worry me. They lack creativity and are set up to nick a goal.

Now, if they had a Ronan Finn.....

disgruntled
11/10/2015, 12:52 PM
Congratulations Dundalk.
Worthy champions & the level that other teams need to reach.
Very strong squad & played some lovely football throughout the season.

Martinho II
11/10/2015, 4:51 PM
I meant to say previously but I am delighted for the likes of Stephen Kenny and Vinny Perth .They have done a superb job and they were superb with us. Would love to have them back with us instead of the waster Cousins but thats for another day. I think ye will do well in the Champions League next season!congrats to Dundalk they are one of the best sides since the Shamrock Rovers side in the eighties and I think they will dominate the title for the next few seasons at least!

Charlie Darwin
12/10/2015, 3:38 AM
He's going to need to provide for them too, and his talent deserves more than any team in this league can provide.

I didn't see anything in that Rovers side that would worry me. They lack creativity and are set up to nick a goal.

Now, if they had a Ronan Finn.....
We lack creativity but we're getting there. I wouldn't agree with the lad from the Indo who says we're looking like heirs or whatever ****e he said, but we've got Drennan and Miele for next season and we've a better hand to recruit players than last year, rather than picking players from Drogs and Pats as usual.

oriel
12/10/2015, 11:53 AM
Its a strange comment from Sean Ryan, considering Rovers are currently 15 points behind, and were comprehensively beaten in Oriel Park in the league earlier in the season. Granted they were the better side in the first half on Fri and possibly shaded it overall, but for once or twice this wasn't a good display by Dundalk, and it followed an average one last week v Longford. Interesting to note though, one of those displays won the league, the other got to an FAI Cup Final.

Rovers were much better in central MF on Fri, but I didn't see any other area to worry me, and overall if they are to challenge Dundalk next season they will need possibly 4 or 5 new players, and another few key components, Fitness and Speed.

Acornvilla
12/10/2015, 1:24 PM
In the interest of some balance.

Boo Dundalk, boooo.

Mr A
12/10/2015, 1:40 PM
Congrats to Dundalk, retaining the title is a hell of an achievement and it never really looked in doubt.

Making it a double would really cement this team's place as one of the greats.

Nesta99
12/10/2015, 10:36 PM
Good to see it all again on Soccer Republic but can Stephen O'Donnell and Alan Cawley lean any further apart from each other? Nothing friendly there!

Dunny
12/10/2015, 11:27 PM
Good to see it all again on Soccer Republic but can Stephen O'Donnell and Alan Cawley lean any further apart from each other? Nothing friendly there!
You know yourself...the smell of hungover beer on another's breath is not good or healthy on the oul nostrils :D O'Donnell sounded and looked well hungover.

Nesta99
13/10/2015, 10:28 AM
You know yourself...the smell of hungover beer on another's breath is not good or healthy on the oul nostrils :D O'Donnell sounded and looked well hungover.

Ha! Ok, but if it was the case O'Donnell should have spent the show breathing all over Cawley for the laugh.

Dunny
13/10/2015, 11:16 AM
Ever watch Cawleys knee nervously hopping during Soccer Republic Nesta? Last night it was strangely calm.The calming beer breath of SO'D ;)

White Horse
30/10/2015, 10:03 PM
Dundalk broke a record tonight that has been held by Shamrock Rovers since 1922/23 for the most goals scored in a season.

By scoring four goals tonight, Dundalk have taken their tally for the season to 78, an all time record in the League Of Ireland.

A fitting record for this team.

Nesta99
31/10/2015, 1:38 AM
The Bray left back was destroyed throughout!

Town Legend
31/10/2015, 9:41 AM
Belated congrats to Dundalk on winning 2 in a row especially to King Kenny and VP. When was the last time 3 in a row was done? Can't see anyone coming close to Dundalk next season no matter who signs for the likes of Rovers and Cork.

Dalymountrower
31/10/2015, 10:26 AM
Based on what I saw from Cork last night, congrats to Dundalk on a deserved double.

jinxy lilywhite
31/10/2015, 6:49 PM
Based on what I saw from Cork last night, congrats to Dundalk on a deserved double.

Sssshhhhhhh

Cork will provide good opposition and will no doubt want to spoil the party

Martinho II
31/10/2015, 8:42 PM
Belated congrats to Dundalk on winning 2 in a row especially to King Kenny and VP. When was the last time 3 in a row was done? Can't see anyone coming close to Dundalk next season no matter who signs for the likes of Rovers and Cork.

the mid eighties with shamrock rovers. The last time a country based side did it was Waterford Utd in the early 70s!

oriel
31/10/2015, 11:05 PM
Waterford were also the last provincial side to retain the title, I think in 1973. Its a very difficult thing to do. I would say Dundalk will be strong favourites to win it again next season, but you never know the challengers might be stronger next time.

placid casual
31/10/2015, 11:45 PM
If Dundalk can hang onto towell,and he stays injury free, they will be difficult to stop irrespective of who Rovers or Cork sign.
25 goals for an attacking midfielder is staggering.

patrickccfc
31/10/2015, 11:59 PM

I don't really think you can base any presumptions of how we will perform in a cup final on an end of season league game regardless of what is at stake. A cup final is a one off, anything can happen

patrickccfc
01/11/2015, 12:03 AM
If Dundalk can hang onto towell,and he stays injury free, they will be difficult to stop irrespective of who Rovers or Cork sign.
25 goals for an attacking midfielder is staggering.

It is an amazing achievement for a midfielder to get that many goals. The likes of us and rovers or any other would-be challengers would be hoping that a championship club come sniffing around. Every club needs a Richie towell

nigel-harps1954
01/11/2015, 12:14 AM
Richie Towell is a dime a dozen. Fantastic player and it's only a shame he hasn't at least got a call up to an extended Ireland squad ahead of Championship reserve players not getting any game time. Definitely deserves decent recognition for his efforts.

Charlie Darwin
01/11/2015, 12:21 AM
Richie Towell is a dime a dozen. Fantastic player and it's only a shame he hasn't at least got a call up to an extended Ireland squad ahead of Championship reserve players not getting any game time. Definitely deserves decent recognition for his efforts.
Doesn't dime a dozen mean common? Towell is probably the one player in the league I wouldn't worry about physically if he was to step up. I think Forrester might still have problems as opposition teams get to know him a bit better, but Towell would slot right in like Fahey and McClean did a few years back.

nigel-harps1954
01/11/2015, 12:43 AM
Ah jaysis, yes. That was a bit of an amateur mistake. I'm just going to blame tiredness from 14 of the last 24 hours spent on Bus Eireanns services.

patrickccfc
01/11/2015, 1:27 AM
I'm just going to blame tiredness from 14 of the last 24 hours spent on Bus Eireanns services.

I know how that goes. Years ago I went 11 hours up to Derry and back 11 hours the next day. What made it worse, only James McLean scored a last minute goal to beat us

ger121
01/11/2015, 10:25 AM
A belated congrats to Dundalk. Didn't think you'd do back to back titles before the season started, due to losing a couple key players and how hard it is to follow up a title with another. I quickly changed my mind after the first few games. I wouldn't bet against a 3rd in a row next season!

SkStu
01/11/2015, 2:51 PM
Congratulations to Dundalk - watched your games in Europe and the SC highlights each week. Great strength and skill across the team that'll be hard to stop next year. I think some upgrades in defence and holding onto Towell might see you breakthrough another level in Europe. Happy for Kenny too. Well done! Good luck against Cork.