Bremen v Lyon
Liverpool v Leverkusen
PSV v Monaco
Man United v Milan
Bayern v Arsenal

eoinh
17/12/2004, 10:26 AM
Nice line up!

What about Barca v Milan in the final? :)

eoinh
17/12/2004, 10:28 AM
Out of those pairings I would predict Juve, Inter, Barca, Lyon, PSV, Milan and Bayern to advance. I wouldnt have a clue who would advance between Leverkusen and Liverpool.

joeSoap
17/12/2004, 10:29 AM
Of the english sides, only Liverpool can be happy..Bremen & Lyon must be happy. some classic ties there; Real v Juve, United v Milan, Barca v Chelsea, Arsenal v Bayern.....4 of the fancied teams are going out.

Great for the competition. :ball: :ball:

drummerboy
17/12/2004, 10:29 AM
Barca versus Chelski is the tie of the round. Ronaldino, Eto v Duff, Robben

Plastic Paddy
17/12/2004, 10:30 AM
Can't see it myself, Eoin. Having seen both Milan and Barcelona this season (against Celtic in the CL groups) I think Chelsea will have the edge on Barcelona. I've yet to see Mourinho's systems bettered, and even though I really respect the man, I'm not sure that Frank Rijkaard will be able to match his Chelsea counterpart in the mind-games department.

At this stage, I can't see past a Chelsea-Milan final.

:ball: PP

joeSoap
17/12/2004, 10:33 AM
Out of those pairings I would predict Juve, Inter, Barca, Lyon, PSV, Milan and Barca to advance. I wouldnt have a clue who would advance between Leverkusen and Liverpool.
I'd go for : Juve,Inter, Chelsea, Bremen, Leverkusen, Monaco, United and Arsenal.

Karlos
17/12/2004, 10:35 AM
I take it everyone here predicting the final two also sucessfully picked Monaco & Porto at this stage last year :D

Many twists and turns ahead me thinks!! ;)

Gary
17/12/2004, 10:46 AM
1. Real Madrid CF v Juventus FC (Juve)
2. FC Porto v FC Internazionale Milano (porto)
3. FC Barcelona v Chelsea FC (Chelsea)
4. Werder Bremen v Olympique Lyonnais (Lyon)
5. Liverpool FC v Bayer 04 Leverkusen (Leverkusen)
6. PSV Eindhoven v AS Monaco FC (Monaco)
7. Manchester United FC v AC Milan (Milan)
8. FC Bayern München v Arsenal FC (Arsenal)

Very exciting draw. A few penalty shootout deciders I reckon. I cant see past Chelsea to win it though.

Dublin12
17/12/2004, 10:52 AM
hmm,it's funny how all the smaller clubs got paired together,some cracking ties there though,impossible to predict

Colm
17/12/2004, 10:54 AM
Barca v Chelsea

I'd nearly guarantee that the winner of that tie will win the Champions league.

Dillo
17/12/2004, 11:18 AM
Some classic encouters to look forward to! Can't wait to see Milan knock the Mancs out! A Chelsea/Milan final is very likely but it's a funny old game! Liverpool got a favourable draw but it's still very hard to see them progress.

boc123
17/12/2004, 12:08 PM
I can't see Liverpool progressing. They're just not strong enough in too many positions. Chelsea v Barcelona should be a cracker, it's a hard one to call, although I've a feeling Chelsea might sneak it.

cullenswood
17/12/2004, 2:07 PM
The Chelsea v Barca game will be clashing with the United v Milan game. Tough decision to be made as to which one to watch!

TheJamaicanP.M.
17/12/2004, 3:23 PM
The Chelsea v Barca game will be clashing with the United v Milan game. Tough decision to be made as to which one to watch!

3 great teams in action that night. Im going to watch Chelsea v Barca as thats the gamer with 2 great teams. Milan should come through the other game with ease.

jockser
17/12/2004, 4:10 PM
Juve,porto,barca,Lyon,liverpool,Monaco,Milan,munic h

Schumi
17/12/2004, 4:24 PM
Madrid v Juve
:D That'll be some match.

eoinh
17/12/2004, 4:28 PM
:D That'll be some match.

Anybody want to bet with me that RTE or TV3 wont show it?

Schumi
17/12/2004, 4:34 PM
Anybody want to bet with me that RTE or TV3 wont show it?
Only if you pay out if they don't show it. :( :mad:

4tothefloor
17/12/2004, 8:46 PM
Whoever gets through this round has a great chance of winning it as half the favourites will be gone.

I think Juve, Inter, Barca, Milan, Arsenal, Lyon, Liverpool & Monaco will go through. If I was Benitez i'd definately try and sign Anelka now, Morientes is on his way but he can't play in the CL. Gerrard is suspended for the Anfield leg, so it's a big ask. I think Arsenal will get it together and beat boring Bayern. Shevchenko to make an arse out of Ferdinand. I want Barca to win it, so i'm going for them over €hel$ea.

gustavo
18/12/2004, 8:15 PM
my winners

Madrid
Inter
Barca
Bremen
Liverpool
Monaco
Man United
Arsenal

De Town
18/12/2004, 8:20 PM
Madrid v Juve Winner: Juve
Porto v Inter Winner: Inter
Barca v Chelsea Winner: Barca
Bremen v Lyon Winner: Lyon
Liverpool v Leverkusen Winner: Leverkusen
PSV v Monaco Winner: PSV
Man United v Milan Winner: Man United
Bayern v Arsenal Winner: Bayern

JoeSemi
19/12/2004, 12:38 AM
[/B]

What planet are you living on pal? Milan to lose to United over two legs? Get off the funny tablets. Milan are still the best team in Europe- player for player. United won't live with them. Come back and correct me if I'm wrong in a few months time, but I think you'll be found wanting :cool:

yur man
19/12/2004, 11:38 AM
Juve
Inter
Barca
Lyon
Leverkusen
Monaco
Milan
Arsenal

some good ties there

i think united are going to regret going for second place in their group

De Town
19/12/2004, 12:15 PM
What planet are you living on pal?

I like to call it Earth :eek:

Milan to lose to United over two legs?

Thats what I think will happen. Milan have a great dfence and a great strikeforce but they couldnt break Juve down last night even though they dominated the match.

Get off the funny tablets.

How did you know about them ;)

Milan are still the best team in Europe- player for player.

Have you seen Barcelona recently?

United won't live with them.

I really think United will rise to the occasion.

Come back and correct me if I'm wrong in a few months time, but I think you'll be found wanting :cool:

I will if I'm right ;) Well done to you if your right. :)

Closed Account 2
19/12/2004, 2:54 PM
Madrid v Juventus Winner: Juventus
Barca v Chelsea Winner: Chelsea
Werder Bremen v Lyon Winner: Werder
Liverpool v Leverkusen Winner: Liverpool
PSV v Monaco Winner: Monaco
Man United v Milan Winner: Milan

4tothefloor
19/12/2004, 3:52 PM
I like to call it Earth :eek:

Thats what I think will happen. Milan have a great dfence and a great strikeforce but they couldnt break Juve down last night even though they dominated the match.

How did you know about them ;)

Have you seen Barcelona recently?

I really think United will rise to the occasion.

I will if I'm right ;) Well done to you if your right. :)

Surely it would have been easier to put all of that in to one paragraph? :D

De Town
19/12/2004, 5:13 PM
Surely it would have been easier to put all of that in to one paragraph? :D

Ah its not that hard really ;)

gustavo
19/12/2004, 7:09 PM
de town i agree with u i think milan will be on a downward slump by then!

De Town
19/12/2004, 8:27 PM
de town i agree with u

:eek: :eek: :eek:

gustavo
20/12/2004, 5:50 PM
I am sooooo looking forward to seeing gap-toothed genius Ronaldinho tearing Gary Neville asunder.

its a pity that ronaldinho doesnt play for ac milan then :confused:
and in fairness none of those players are likely to be in the starting eleven when they play milan.

Coltron
21/12/2004, 11:44 AM
I still reckon Arsenal are the team to beat with Milan the next treat and Lyon as dark horses.

Chelsea are very good at the minute but even Morrinho says it will be a tall order for them to win the premership and CL. As for Barca the couldn't break down as weak Celtic side at home so I can't see them winning. They play some good excting football but are not the unit that say Arsenal or Milan are.

eoinh
21/12/2004, 11:52 AM
That Arsenal team has had years to proce themselves in Europe. They have failed miserably each season. Why should they be different this season?

joeSoap
21/12/2004, 11:55 AM
What planet are you living on pal? Milan to lose to United over two legs? Get off the funny tablets. Milan are still the best team in Europe- player for player. United won't live with them. Come back and correct me if I'm wrong in a few months time, but I think you'll be found wanting :cool:

Milan team v Juventus:
Dida; Cafu, Nesta, Costacurta, Kaladze (62’ Pancaro); Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kaka; Shevchenko, Crespo. Subs not used: Abbiati, Maldini, Ambrosini, Dhorasoo, Rui Costa, Serginho.

Strong side on paper, but they don't seem to be beating teams as comprehensively as they should with that much talent.They have an experienced, but ageing back 4 (Nesta, Cafu and Costacurta well in to their 30's), and could struggle with Van Nistelrooy and Rooney, with Giggs and Ronaldo running at them out wide, United will definitely get chances. Seedorf is past it imo, and Gattuso and Pirlo won't frighten Uniteds midfield; however, Shevchenko, Crespo and Kaka will be a different ball game, especially if United don't do something about Silvestres dodgy defending.

United to win 1-0 at Old Trafford and to grind out a 1-1 at the San Siro for me... :ball:

eoinh
21/12/2004, 11:57 AM
in fairness, ronaldo doesnt run at people. He runs two paces and falls down.

Karlos
21/12/2004, 12:47 PM
That Arsenal team has had years to proce themselves in Europe. They have failed miserably each season. Why should they be different this season?

Name an English Team that hasn't failed miserably in the European Cup in this Decade??

Forget all the past glories and rose tinted spectacles and look at the facts, in this decade Arsenal have qualified to the second phase/knockout in every season and have done no worse this decade than Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea in the sence that fialure here is considered not winning the thing.

Coltron
21/12/2004, 3:34 PM
It took many years for Utd to crack Europe. This Arsenal team, IMO is developing all the time. I think they are jusified favorites, there so hard to beat and have so much quality and work so hard for each other plus they have argueably the best manager in world football today.

Give me your best case for the team that will best them. I'm open to change but from what I've seem so far thats where my money is and will continue to be until I see a better unit.

Closed Account 2
26/12/2004, 5:24 AM
Name an English Team that hasn't failed miserably in the European Cup in this Decade??

Forget all the past glories and rose tinted spectacles and look at the facts, in this decade Arsenal have qualified to the second phase/knockout in every season and have done no worse this decade than Man Utd, Liverpool or Chelsea in the sence that fialure here is considered not winning the thing.

Leeds got close this decade too, tho who knows what league they'll end up in by the end of the decade, if they still exist.

gustavo
21/02/2005, 10:27 AM
my winners

Madrid
Inter
Barca
Bremen
Liverpool
Monaco
Man United
Arsenal

is every one sticking by their predictions ?
i would be most concerned by liverpool out of those and possibly inter .

De Town
21/02/2005, 10:33 AM
Madrid v Juve Winner: Juve
Bremen v Lyon Winner: Lyon

Im now gonna go....
Madrid
Inter
Barca
Bremen
Leverkusen
Monaco
United
Bayern

The overall winner will come out of
Barca v Chelsea
United v Milan
Arsenal v Bayern
Madrid v Juve

Roo69
21/02/2005, 11:02 AM
Madrid v Juve Winner: Madrid
Bremen v Lyon Winner: Bremen
Bayern v Arsenal Winner: Arsenal

Hibs4Ever
21/02/2005, 11:08 AM
Juve
Inter
Chelsea
Bremen
Leverkusen
PSV
AC Milan
Arsenal

Heinze
21/02/2005, 12:14 PM
Well Guys if you all think you know who is going through then check out the match odds on www.gamebookers.ie and if you do a combo of Inter, Leverkeusen and Bayern to Qualify you'll get it at 5/1 add Juve adn it goes up to 10/1 but thats a bit dodgy against Real I think. I reckon I'll stick 50 on the 5/1 Can't see Liverpool Qualifing and Inter definatly will while Arsenal look dodgy as well.

Home Draw Away
22 Feb 05
13/10 Bayern 19/9 Arsenal 19/9
11/10 Liverpool 11/5 Leverkusen 17/7
8/7 PSV 13/6 AS Monaco 16/7
11/10 R Madrid 1/5 Juventus 17/7

23 Feb 05
11/10 Barcelona 11/5 Chelsea 12/5
9/5 Porto 19/9 Inter Milan 6/4
6/5 Man Utd 19/9 AC Milan 9/4
6/5 Bremen 19/9 Olympic Lyon 7/3
www.gamebookers.ie

Kowalski
22/02/2005, 9:22 PM
Watched the Real/Juve game, good quality football, not much playacting surprisingly except for the free kick for the goal, ZZ dived and Beckhams free kick got flicked in off Helguera's shoulder.
Four home wins, Arsenal must have been shocking against an average Bayern but the two late goals by Arsenal & Leverkusen still leave all four games slightly open.
Roll on tomorrow, another 4 home wins will dink, dank, doo for me :D

Gary
22/02/2005, 10:12 PM
Arsenal dont have the defense for a realistic challenge. The were hopelessly exposed again tonight. They did well to get the away goal, but had Frings put that sitter away for 4-0, it was all over. Should be a cracking 2nd leg.

Liverpool and Leverkusen was a good open game. Both should have scored a few more, both missing a few one on ones. Riise was outstanding, and I thought Biscan looked very strong and very creative. Amazing through ball for Luis Garcias goal. Again should be a good 2nd leg.

Didnt see any of the other 2 games so cant comment.

Éanna
22/02/2005, 10:13 PM
Real-Juve was a poor game IMO. Beckham was dire, Ronaldo was lazy, but Real could/should have won about 3-1.

4tothefloor
22/02/2005, 10:35 PM
I think Juve, Inter, Barca, Milan, Arsenal, Lyon, Liverpool & Monaco will go through.

I'm sticking with all of my predictions

Regarding tonights games, Dudek is a complete f**k up after that. What a disaster of a 'keeper, he single-handedly ruined a good performance once again. I've lost count of how many times now. I thought Liverpool were superb, considering the side they had out. Biscan, Riise and Carragher were excellent. Kewell did well but ran out of steam.

Leverkusen will find it tough to put Liverpool out - they're missing both Ponte and Freier for the second leg, while Liverpool will have Gerrard back.

Thought Arsenal were rubbish, terrible performance. Still have a lifeline though. Real - Juve was poor fare, boring game.

Last 8
Juventus
Inter
Barca
Milan
Arsenal (will overturn to save their season)
Lyon
Liverpool
Monaco

Kingdom
22/02/2005, 10:48 PM
I'm sticking with all of my predictions

Regarding tonights games, Dudek is a complete f**k up after that. What a disaster of a 'keeper, he single-handedly ruined a good performance once again. I've lost count of how many times now. I thought Liverpool were superb, considering the side they had out. Biscan, Riise and Carragher were excellent. Kewell did well but ran out of steam.

Leverkusen will find it tough to put Liverpool out - they're missing both Ponte and Freier for the second leg, while Liverpool will have Gerrard back.

Have to agree with most of the above. With the honourable exception of Kewell. I understand that he is coming back from injury but according to El Gaffer he's been training for the last 10 days!
I thought he was muck. He just didn't look bothered. The ref was crap, granted, but all Kewell did was whinge. For a while he reminded me of Robbie. There was no chasing of the ball or get-up-and-go about him. Luis Garcia was at the other end of the spectrum in comparison, imho! I thought he was quite impressive supporting the front man well chasing back and generally putting himself about. Man of the match Arnie without a doubt. Back to his best tonight. Biscan showed why he was bought in the first place. Was signed as the promising central midfield player (which he was) but was subsequently turned into a centre-half ( which he isn't/wasn't) unsuccessfully. Nice to see him repay the faith.

I'm glad that Freier lad is suspended. I thought he was impressive.

Kingdom
22/02/2005, 10:52 PM
Madrid v Juve
Porto v Inter
Barca v Chelsea
Bremen v Lyon
Liverpool v Leverkusen
PSV v Monaco
Man United v Milan
Bayern v Arsenal

I'll be going for :

Juve
Inter
Chelsea
Bremen
Liverpool
Psv
Milan
Bayern

Closed Account 2
23/02/2005, 12:40 AM
Why didnt Liverpool play Scott Carson ? Dudek has at least one major foul-up per game, its cost Liverpool a few times now, I think Benitez will drop him soon. The Bayerena is not an easy place to go and Liverpool will need to be on top form if theyre to go thru. Arsenal were woeful, it just didnt click for them - that said a poor lapse by Bayern has given Arsenal a reasonable chance. With Bergkamp and Ashley Cole back, and in the intimidating atmosphere of Highbury I can see Wenger pulling it off. Monaco v PSV was a dire match, I dont see either team going far on the evidence of that. Juve are in dire straits at the moment, their forms deserted them in the league and Real Madrid should have had the tie done and dusted, but Ronaldo and Raul were poor (yet again).

I'd say Liverpool, Juve, Arsenal and Monaco will go thru.

Tomorrow's matches should be interesting, I can see the winner of Bremen - Lyon (prob Bremen) going very far.

I'd guess Bremen, Milan, Barca and Inter will go thru.