PDA

View Full Version : Bumper Christmas Song Thread for Xmas

Pages : [1] 2 3

sligoman
16/12/2004, 9:17 PM
There is so many so I wont list any but for me, it has to be fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty McCaul.

HwHyuraau4Q

finlma
16/12/2004, 9:29 PM
I used work in a shoe shop and we played the same Christmas cd over and over and over for the whole of December. Ever since then I have a loathing of Christmas songs.

If I had to pick I'd probably say Fairytale also or I Wish I Was At Home For Christmas and I wish I was this year but spending it on the beach won't be too bad.

rL_MkbUb1wk

Risteard
17/12/2004, 1:28 AM
I used work in a shoe shop and we played the same Christmas cd over and over and over for the whole of December. Ever since then I have a loathing of Christmas songs.

If I had to pick I'd probably say Fairytale also or I Wish I Was At Home For Christmas and I wish I was this year but spending it on the beach won't be too bad.
Do Ya mean Can you Stop The Cavalry? Thats very good.
I've the same problem in work only i love the fecking thing.
Anyone who whinges about Christmas in any form is a misery. Christmas is everything thats good about the world. Even after the whole present competition and capitalism.
Think this was already discussed.
I picked Alan Parsons in a Winter Wonderland which is a strange take on the original that Dave Fanning (cant wait for the fab 50) plays every Christmas.
I like most Christmas songs. Last Christmas is cringy but by god its up there.
Ever hear the Manic Street Preachers sing it?

tMmuZjsrRtY

finlma
17/12/2004, 3:54 AM
Anyone who whinges about Christmas in any form is a misery.

Christmas songs are the only thing you'll hear me complain about. I mean this cd had I Saw Mom Kissing Santa Clause, Rudolph, Jingle Bell Rocks - I still have nightmares.

This is my first Christmas in the summer and I have to say its not the same. Give me the cold for just one week.

Colm
17/12/2004, 1:13 PM
I like pretty much all Christmas songs to be honest.
Shakin Stevens one would be favourite I'd say. :)

jaBjaj3-Y9o
iIGS3EXggmw

dcfcsteve
17/12/2004, 1:39 PM
There is so many I wont list any but for me, it has to be fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirsty McCaul.

With you on that one Sligoman. How the Pet Shop Boys kept Fairytale off the No 1 spot in England is one of life's musical travesties.....

That Jona Lewie 'Can you stop the cavalry' song is good as well. Particularly like it because it mentions my ma in there (Mary Bradley) .... :D

Rovers Fellow!
17/12/2004, 2:13 PM
Without doubt it has to be Fairytale of New York. Ye cant beat a bit of Shakin Stevens aswell!! Like that Long December by the Counting Crows too.

1D5PtyrewSs

patsh
17/12/2004, 2:51 PM
Fairytale of NY is the best one, but I like the Pretenders "2,000 miles" and that

East17 one "Stay"(?)...:o

Nmx3QC7n6sk

Maz
17/12/2004, 6:19 PM
Fairytale of NY is the best one, but I like the Pretenders "2,000 miles" and that

East17 one "Stay"(?)...:o

I agree with Fairytale of NY and Stay and also Ertha Kitt (spellin) "Santa Baby"

g7T0IK99ELs

Partizan
17/12/2004, 6:36 PM
Here's mine:
1. Fairytale of New York - The Pogues and Kirsty McColl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY)
2. Paul McCartney - Pipes of Peace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVK_mJrLbmY)
3. Chris de Burgh - A Spaceman Came Travelling (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmZg7tvGN9o)
4. Cliff Richard - Saviour's Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTI8CWSiZ40)
5. Band Aid - Do they know its Christmas (1984 version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cX_ncZLls)
6. Wizzard - I wish it could be xmas everyday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoxQ4Ul_DME)
7. Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShN8UIk5-mw)
8. Jon & Vangelis - I'll find my way home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VosFiY1SifA)

Flea
17/12/2004, 7:31 PM
1.War is Over-Lennon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8jw-ifqwkM) :cool:
2.White Christmas - Bing Crosby (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbU5hD0rrM)
3.Fairytale of NY
4.Stay-East 17 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChxtscZI5oc) :cool:

CollegeTillIDie
17/12/2004, 11:27 PM
Ok here's one for those from down under... not the best but one of the funniest

" Santa Claus You C*n* Where's My F*****g Bike?" By Kevin Bloody Wilson

tEe55NxFSSU

gustavo
18/12/2004, 2:34 AM
the slade one! so here it is merry christmas
belleau wood by garth brooks is good too the one about the soldiers in the first world war
the first noel by crash test dummies:)

AdP9qKxvWh0

CollegeTillIDie
18/12/2004, 8:54 AM
the slade one! so here it is merry christmas
belleau wood by garth brooks is good too the one about the soldiers in the first world war
the first noel by crash test dummies:)

The correct title of the Slade song is "Merry Christmas Everybody"

It's Chr-ist-maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas :D

0A8KT365wlA

CollegeTillIDie
18/12/2004, 9:02 AM
Anyone ever hear the Beatles Christmas Song?
It was issued in the 1960's to members of the Fan Club.. someone taped it for me once and I think it may have been included on one of those Anthology releases but not 100% sure about that.

The lyrics were something like this....

Christmas time is here again
O.U.T. spells out !

Just goes to show not everything Lennon and McCartney wrote was great

wt7O2s4I5yM

A face
18/12/2004, 11:25 AM
The Night Santa Went Crazy

HTGlUMvbhSw

Partizan
18/12/2004, 12:39 PM
That's a great great song, and I heard before it was on some Yes album about the spirit of Christmas, but is it really a Christmas song? I don't think it mentions Christmas, and I don't think it was a Christmas No. 1?

It was released with the Friends of Mr Cairo album around December 1981 that also included State of Independence, another class tune, but 'I'll find my way home' wasnt released as a single until the following January but it has a couple of xmas chimes thrown in for good measure. The song didnt reach no.1 as far as I can recall but it did reasonably well in the Top 10. I never had the album but if you were to pick it up on vinyl it would be a collectors item. I got Jon & Vangelis' greatest hits CD in HMV a couple of years back and ye shoudl have seen teh look on yer wan's face in the shop, like who the **** are they and shouldnt you be buying Puff Daddy, Linkin Park, Limp Biscuit and all that sh1te.

I'm a great fan of early 80's synthesised New Wave electro-pop. To me that was the Golden Age of music, me being a classic 80's head minus the mullet and makeup of course, Rick Astley look. (I still think I have an old addidas Waterford United 'Hoffmans Lager' top circa '84 in my closet somewhere) Some of my favourite stuff is from the 80's, Simple Minds, the Blades, Thin Lizzy and U2 (before Bono went all political and poppy with is save the save the Dolphins ******).

I dont have much time for alot of stuff on the shelves today, hip hop, boy/girl band stuff, girlfriend drives me crazy with her Kylie/J-Lo nonsense (but she's got a fine big fvcking arse I give her that) Franz Ferdinand 'Take me Out' is the official anthem for the RSC faithful.

Rock on Comrades :ball:

Another political broadcast by the militant Left :D

A face
18/12/2004, 12:53 PM
save the save the Dolphins

And just what exactly is wrong with saving the dolphins ?? :eek: :(

:D

CollegeTillIDie
18/12/2004, 3:06 PM
Does anyone here remember " A Merry Jingle" by the Greedies?
It was two from Thin Lizzy plus two from the Sex Pistols and was a medley
of " We Wish you a Merry Christmas" and " Jingle Bells"

ZN2bcS9shuY

CollegeTillIDie
18/12/2004, 3:11 PM
It was released with the Friends of Mr Cairo album around December 1981 that also included State of Independence, another class tune, but 'I'll find my way home' wasnt released as a single until the following January but it has a couple of xmas chimes thrown in for good measure. The song didnt reach no.1 as far as I can recall but it did reasonably well in the Top 10. I never had the album but if you were to pick it up on vinyl it would be a collectors item. I got Jon & Vangelis' greatest hits CD in HMV a couple of years back and ye shoudl have seen teh look on yer wan's face in the shop, like who the **** are they and shouldnt you be buying Puff Daddy, Linkin Park, Limp Biscuit and all that sh1te.

I'm a great fan of early 80's synthesised New Wave electro-pop. To me that was the Golden Age of music, me being a classic 80's head minus the mullet and makeup of course, Rick Astley look. (I still think I have an old addidas Waterford United 'Hoffmans Lager' top circa '84 in my closet somewhere) Some of my favourite stuff is from the 80's, Simple Minds, the Blades, Thin Lizzy and U2 (before Bono went all political and poppy with is save the save the Dolphins ******).

I dont have much time for alot of stuff on the shelves today, hip hop, boy/girl band stuff, girlfriend drives me crazy with her Kylie/J-Lo nonsense (but she's got a fine big fvcking arse I give her that) Franz Ferdinand 'Take me Out' is the official anthem for the RSC faithful.

Rock on Comrades :ball:

Another political broadcast by the militant Left :D

Jon and Vangelis... class.. do you remember their first single together back in 1979... " I Hear You Now"

As for the Blades .... this one was a classic...

" Everything's black and white and grey.... Living from day to day today
I'm not waiting at an airport, I'm not waiting at a station... I'm waiting at a bus stop...... Downmarket "

;)

Flea
18/12/2004, 4:32 PM
This is a really well known song, I first thought it was Paul 'thumbs up' Mccartney, but I don't know now. Its a Christmas song with a part that goes slow and mellow like this (give me a cjance I can't sing it) D--D-D--D-DDD :o

Flea
18/12/2004, 7:07 PM
Ignore that question I'VE SINCE FOUND OUT IT WAS Merry Christmas by Shakin' Stevens

Partizan
18/12/2004, 10:16 PM
Jon and Vangelis... class.. do you remember their first single together back in 1979... " I Hear You Now"

As for the Blades .... this one was a classic...

" Everything's black and white and grey.... Living from day to day today
I'm not waiting at an airport, I'm not waiting at a station... I'm waiting at a bus stop...... Downmarket "

;)
College, in 1979 I was wee nipper making a racket in his play pen so the 70's was all rather vague to me. I'm an 80's kid and love listening to Sun 80's over the satellite. www.sun80s.com There a crowd in Dublin and I believe you can pick it up on the FM band in the Dublin, well when I was last working in Dublin (Jan - Aug '03) when I used to come home in the evening I'd just flick it on. Not sure what exact frequency its on but I'm sure if you fiddle with the dial on your wireless set, you should stumble accross it.

Jon & Vangelis, I barely remember them but I did have a vinyl from them, belonged to a friend. I have the Greatest Hits CD and its absolutley class. If you like I can record it onto a tape and send it on yourself or Conor.
Anyway for me The Blades 'Ghost of a Chance' single surpasses anything Bono and his U2 crowd have ever produced

'I hear you now' came from the Short Stories album circa 1980 and the synthezised keyboard wizardry from Vangelis is just amazing..

I HEAR YOU NOW 1980
After the first embrace from you my senses knew
The look of love was in your eyes
and after we first make love our senses tingle to
The touch oh how we hypnotize

Oh, to get the feeling on and on
Oh, just to get the feeling

Holding you closer in my arms we drift to heaven
Bringing in the morning light
And after all is said and done there's only us
We can make it right So, our love will carry on and on
Now our love will be free, be free.

And when we play, love don't delay, I hear you now
For what was then, is what is now, anyhow
As I became a guest of love's tune here again
We'll carry on together like today.

After the first embrace from you I want you too

M@ttitude
18/12/2004, 10:26 PM
The Night Santa went Crazy

Down in the workshop all the elves were makin' toys
For the good Gentile girls and the good Gentile boys
When the boss busted in, nearly scared 'em half to death
Had a rifle in his hands and cheap whiskey on his breath
From his beard to his boots he was covered with ammo
Like a big fat drunk disgruntled Yuletide Rambo
And he smiled as he said with a twinkle in his eye,
"Merry Christmas to all - now you're all gonna die!"

The night Santa went crazy
The night St. Nick went insane
Realized he'd been gettin' a raw deal
Something finally must have snapped in his brain

Well, the workshop is gone now, he decided to bomb it
Everywhere you'll find pieces of Cupid and Comet
And he tied up his helpers and he held the elves hostage
And he ground up poor Rudolph into reindeer sausage
He got Dancer and Prancer with an old German Luger
And he slashed up Dasher just like Freddy Krueger
And he picked up a flamethrower and he barbequed Blitzen
And he took a big bite and said, "It tastes just like chicken!"

The night Santa went crazy
The night Kris Kringle went nuts
Now you can't hardly walk around the North Pole
Without steppin' in reindeer guts

There's the National Guard and the F.B.I.
There's a van from the Eyewitness News
And helicopters circlin' 'round in the sky
And the bullets are flyin', the body count's risin'
And everyone's dyin' to know, oh Santa, why?
My my my my my my
You used to be such a jolly guy

Yes, Virginia, now Santa's doin' time
In a federal prison for his infamous crime
Hey, little friend, now don't you cry no more tears
He'll be out with good behavior in 700 more years
But now Vixen's in therapy and Donner's still nervous
And the elves all got jobs working for the postal service
And they say Mrs. Clause, she's on the phone every night
With her lawyer negotiating the movie rights

They're talkin' bout - the night Santa went crazy
The night St. Nicholas flipped
Broke his back for some milk and cookies
Sounds to me like he was tired of gettin' gypped

Wo, the night Santa went crazy
The night St. Nick went insane
Realized he's gettin' a raw deal
Something finally must have snapped in his brain
Wo, something finally must have snapped in his brain
Tell ya, something finally must have snapped... in his brain

CollegeTillIDie
19/12/2004, 10:01 AM
College, in 1979 I was wee nipper making a racket in his play pen so the 70's was all rather vague to me. I'm an 80's kid and love listening to Sun 80's over the satellite. www.sun80s.com There a crowd in Dublin and I believe you can pick it up on the FM band in the Dublin, well when I was last working in Dublin (Jan - Aug '03) when I used to come home in the evening I'd just flick it on. Not sure what exact frequency its on but I'm sure if you fiddle with the dial on your wireless set, you should stumble accross it.

Jon & Vangelis, I barely remember them but I did have a vinyl from them, belonged to a friend. I have the Greatest Hits CD and its absolutley class. If you like I can record it onto a tape and send it on yourself or Conor.
Anyway for me The Blades 'Ghost of a Chance' single surpasses anything Bono and his U2 crowd have ever produced

'I hear you now' came from the Short Stories album circa 1980 and the synthezised keyboard wizardry from Vangelis is just amazing..

I HEAR YOU NOW 1980
After the first embrace from you my senses knew
The look of love was in your eyes
and after we first make love our senses tingle to
The touch oh how we hypnotize

Oh, to get the feeling on and on
Oh, just to get the feeling

Holding you closer in my arms we drift to heaven
Bringing in the morning light
And after all is said and done there's only us
We can make it right So, our love will carry on and on
Now our love will be free, be free.

And when we play, love don't delay, I hear you now
For what was then, is what is now, anyhow
As I became a guest of love's tune here again
We'll carry on together like today.

Partizan
That 's the song alright.Thanks for the offer, much appreciated . One of my friends has I-tunes on his Apple and downloads stuff and burns it on to CD's for me as it stands. And I listen on my Laptop which is in the PC format.
This technology stuff is great once you can address the compatibality difficulties. :D I occasionally listen to SUN FM on the radio in the car. Will start listening to them online thanks for the URL.

When I am in Waterford, which I am often, I like Roddy Cleere's shows on WLR on Sunday evenings. I must start tuning him in online too now that I think about it.

"Ghost of a Chance" was class song right enough. Blades were the most unfortunate band ever. They were signed up by EG management Roxy Music's management company and released a few records on their label. They never had the level of success which their talent merited. Mainman Paul Cleary wrote the Irish Ethiopia Famine record " Show Some Concern" which was released in the spring of 1985, which illustrates how big a deal they were in Ireland. He later formed a band called The Partisans. He also released a great solo single called " Some People Smile".

patsh
20/12/2004, 9:24 AM
Blades were the most unfortunate band ever.They were the best Irish band EVER!
I'd put them above Lizzy, and while I'm a great fan of U2, Bono & Co aren't a patch on the Blades.
The Last Man in Europe is a superb album, and Cleary must be in the top three, at least, of Irish songwriters.

sligoman
17/12/2005, 7:26 PM
Pick one! Mine would probably be Fairytale of New York:D.

De Town
17/12/2005, 7:28 PM
Hate every feckin' one of them.

Maz
17/12/2005, 7:28 PM
Pick one! Mine would probably be Fairytale of New York:D.
Yeah Fairytale of New York for me too

sligoman
17/12/2005, 7:29 PM
Hate every feckin' one of them.Scrooge!:rolleyes:

De Town
17/12/2005, 7:30 PM
Scrooge!:rolleyes:
I just get sick of listening to them TBH:D

hamish
17/12/2005, 7:41 PM
For obvious reasons I like 'em all - except anything Christmassy by Cliff Richard, Daniel O'Donnell and such like...........I draw the line there.

Love the choirs singing christmas hymns.........have loads of Cds of that kind of stuff. Makes me all warm towards the world, if youse (:p SM) follow.:D

Risteard
17/12/2005, 11:59 PM
Fairytale of New York.
I always wondered what i'd think of that song if i wasn't irish.
Also like Last Christmas by Wham or the Manics cover of it.

I'm gonna by that single for Share of the old Bon Jovi song for Christmas.

Anto McC
18/12/2005, 1:29 AM
Driving home from Christmas - Chris Rea

Easily the best :)

uey6VktC5ms

Marked Man
18/12/2005, 2:48 AM
SLF's white christmas.

yx2doRHPwkQ

hamish
18/12/2005, 3:57 AM
Know what's a lovely one - Gaudete by Steeleye Span. Was a number 2 in1973 I think. It's a traditional English folk song and just vocals and harmony - no instruments.

Nightwish also do a nice version of "Walking in the air" - sort of Opera Metal version but pretty straight version of the original.

Fairytale of New York is great too - anyone see Mairead Brennan (Clannad) and that Dempsey bloke murdering the fcuk out of it on the Late Late last Friday night???:mad:

Slade's song and Wizzard's one are nice too.

djTMUpMCmv4

Maz
18/12/2005, 2:58 PM
Know what's a lovely one - Gaudete by Steeleye Span. Was a number 2 in1973 I think. It's a traditional English folk song and just vocals and harmony - no instruments.

Nightwish also do a nice version of "Walking in the air" - sort of Opera Metal version but pretty straight version of the original.

Fairytale of New York is great too - anyone see Mairead Brennan (Clannad) and that Dempsey bloke murdering the fcuk out of it on the Late Late last Friday night???:mad:

Slade's song and Wizzard's one are nice too.

Ah I saw that too hamish, absolutely terrible! He well and truely killed it. I switched off, couldnt listen to him killing my fav song

Partizan
18/12/2005, 3:07 PM
There has been quite a few catchy xmas tunes down through the years.

Here's some of mine.

The Power of Love - Frankie goes to Hollywood
Feed the World - Band Aid
I'll find my way Home - Jon & Vangelis
Fairytale of New York - Pogues

but my fav has to be Mull of Kintyre by Wings.

nYhTye_A9H0

jorge
18/12/2005, 6:07 PM
Mariah Careys Christmass song is my favourite.

K5bo4VDEH-U

Maz
18/12/2005, 6:09 PM
All I want for Christmas? Cannot stand Mariah so she has made me hate that song, she always sounds like she is whinging or crying

dfx-
18/12/2005, 6:15 PM

Along with 'Fairytale of New York', 'Jingle Bells' and 'So this is Christmas'..

I cannot stand 'White Christmas':mad: :D

Babysis
18/12/2005, 6:35 PM
fairytale of new york is my favourite:)

sligoman
18/12/2005, 9:22 PM
Driving home from Christmas - Chris ReaFrom?:confused: So, Christmas is over then yeah?:D :p.

sligoman
18/12/2005, 9:23 PM
All I want for Christmas? Cannot stand Mariah so she has made me hate that song, she always sounds like she is whinging or cryingAh but she's not bad looking all the same though;).

Maz
18/12/2005, 9:26 PM
Ah but she's not bad looking all the same though;).
Cant say I'd be all that bothered what way she looked

sligoman
18/12/2005, 9:27 PM
Cant say I'd be all that bothered what way she lookedAh, no need to deny it, we know ya would;) :D.

Maz
18/12/2005, 9:28 PM
Ah, no need to deny it, we know ya would;) :D.
No no, Really I wouldnt

dfx-
18/12/2005, 10:31 PM
Ah but she's not bad looking all the same though;).

Can't say I agree....the word diva was invented for her as well.......too high maintenance.....

:p

Anto McC
18/12/2005, 11:59 PM
Can't say I agree....the word diva was invented for her as well.......too high maintenance.....

:p

Your over thinking it DFX,its a simple question,Would you lob one into her.............Thought so :cool:

sligoman
19/12/2005, 12:01 AM
Can't say I agree....the word diva was invented for her as well.......too high maintenance.....Jaysus dfx, I wasn't talking about starting a long relationship with her, not starting a family or anything like that:rolleyes:. As Anto said, answer the simple question;):p.