PDA

View Full Version : not Sligo Rovers but Sligo related.

Ranger
16/12/2004, 2:08 PM
Used to have great games against Sligo Corinthians and Collegians in the connaught Junior cup during the 80's. Just wondering Where are they now, are the still operating?

Petmuller
16/12/2004, 6:38 PM
Sadly both gone due to lack of interest!!
Corinthians came on the scene in the late seventies managed by John Lynch were a decent side that all the good players seemes attracted to as they were professionally run as anyone that knows John Lynch would have come to expect. When the admin side of things started to wane so then the football end ( same can be associated with Rovers I suppose :rolleyes: )
Collegians; now they were a more different proposition altogether. Founded long before my time, I think in the earily sixties, open to correction on this one :o but they were formed by ex-members of Summerhill College. A very successful side down through the years and indeed very professionally run. Probably the only side to own their own ground back then and still do have the two pitches in Scarden though they are badly in need of TLC. Again like Corinthians they drifted out of football as the old adminastrators of the club got older and the interested waned. I guess time waits for no man. :(

Ranger
17/12/2004, 3:53 PM
Thanks for that, pity to hear they folded as the were always good entertaining football sides.