PDA

View Full Version : NFL American Football

Pages : [1] 2 3

Karlos
15/12/2004, 12:08 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals are into the oul American Football. Pretty handy getting two live games a week on sky and it's all starting to get exciting now with the playoffs approaching! Just wondering what teams you support etc! I'm a bit of a general fan, and have affection for the Patriots and Giants from my time in the states and Denver Broncos from my youth - plus Raiders and Falcons cuz their logo's were cool when I was 14!!

p.s. wouldn't it be great to have an Irish team in the NFL Europe League???

Peadar
15/12/2004, 12:10 PM
Just wondering if any of you guys or gals are into the oul American Football.

I used to watch the Dallas Cowboy's cheerleaders. ;)

Karlos
15/12/2004, 12:16 PM
I used to watch the Dallas Cowboy's cheerleaders. ;)

That's good enough for me to pass as a fan!!! Actually, for those of you with that oul cheerleader fetish (and I include you girls!! :p ), the official sites usually have a nifty cheerleader section with pics and stuff. Obviously, I haven't seen them myself!! ;)

Dublin12
15/12/2004, 12:23 PM
links please ;)

Karlos
15/12/2004, 12:34 PM
For starters you could check out skys cheerleader pics and also their great pics from THE LINGERIE BOWL!!!

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/picturegalleries

other than that it's NFL.com and hit the individual sites

p.s. I had intended this to be a serious post about the NFL!!! ;)

Dublin12
15/12/2004, 12:39 PM
Sound ;)

P.s. it is a serious post about the NFL(Nice Fookin Legs) :D

Hibs4Ever
15/12/2004, 12:42 PM
Just got into it in last few years. Support the NY Jets. They're have a good year, won't be able to compete with the NE Patriots this time around though.

Karlos
15/12/2004, 12:46 PM
Yeah the Jets are having a good season this year but the Pats have tied up the divisional title already. They will make the playoffs though. I've a sneeky feeling for the Falcons or the Eagles this year, both doing well and the NFC Conference haven't won the bowl in a few years now.

noby
15/12/2004, 12:48 PM
Haven't seen much in the last 3 years or so. I used to follow it before that alright. Was a Jets fan too, and the Browns (don't ask me why; we're so crap we don't even have a logo)
I must try and catch up before the superbowl though.

Karlos
15/12/2004, 12:54 PM
I think everyone had a liking for the Browns, something about that moxy brown and orange kit and the snow in cleveland seemed to work well...!! :cool:

noby
15/12/2004, 12:57 PM
Did they 'disappear' a few years ago

Roo69
15/12/2004, 12:57 PM
Yummy ! (http://www.miamidolphins.com/cheerleaders/cheerleaders_index.asp)

tetsujin1979
15/12/2004, 1:15 PM
not much of a fan to be honest, but whenever I or any of my friends visit a state in america, I do my best to pick up whoever is the local football team, so far I have the Denver Broncos (John Ellway's jersey!), NY Giants, Miami Dolphins, and the Patriots

Karlos
15/12/2004, 1:19 PM
Do the same myself with the jerseys - currently have

Denver Broncos
New England Patriots
NY Giants
Oakland Raiders
Atlanta Falcons
St. Louis Rams
San Diego Chargers!

East and West Coast Holidays!!!

Peadar
15/12/2004, 1:20 PM
Yummy ! (http://www.miamidolphins.com/cheerleaders/cheerleaders_index.asp)

More Yummy! (http://www.dallascowboys.com/cheerleaders/home.cfm)

Karlos
15/12/2004, 1:55 PM
We could go on all day with the yummyness!!

There should be cheerleaders in the EL but I fear the results wouldn't be as impressive!!! :eek:

Peadar
15/12/2004, 1:59 PM
There should be cheerleaders in the EL but I fear the results wouldn't be as impressive!!! :eek:

I don't think that's very fair.
Most of those cheerleaders are just eye candy.
Irish women can be very sexy as well as being clever.
Only problem is, the type of women you'd get being cheerleaders in Ireland are those bling types mentioned in the "Turn-off's" thread.

Karlos
15/12/2004, 2:08 PM
I don't think that's very fair.
Most of those cheerleaders are just eye candy.
Irish women can be very sexy as well as being clever.
Only problem is, the type of women you'd get being cheerleaders in Ireland are those bling types mentioned in the "Turn-off's" thread.

Yeah true true. Except for the eye candy bit, if you look at the american girls, nearly all have college degrees when you read their bio's. Correct me if I'm wrong but I reckon (as you said above) sexy and clever Irish girls (in which there are many!) wouldn't be into this type of activity. It's actually considered a good thing to make cheerleader at NFL level as most do so through high school and college! It's not as seedy as us lads are making out here!! ;)

I fear here, the how-ya's would be out in strength!!!!!

James
15/12/2004, 2:19 PM
P
A
T
S

pats pats pats

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2004, 2:24 PM
Steelers, followed them since that infamous loss to the Chargers in the AFC championship game in the mid-nineties. Having a good season this year but haven't seen much since the NFL started charging for the online highlights.

Real ale Madrid
15/12/2004, 2:41 PM
I'm a Patriots fan and even was in Gillette stadium once. Its been an amazing few years for them they are an unbelieveable 29-3 over the past two seasons.

as for the playoffs it should be a shootout between New England and Pittsburgh but they are loads of great teams in the AFC this year, The Jets THe colts, with manning and even the Bills with Bledsoe/McGahee could all win. I really fancy the bills for a good run in the playoffs. In the NFC its hard to look beyond the Eagles and The Cards although i think Carolina are coming on really strong again and are a proven post season team from last year - could be worth an outside bet to get to the superbowl.

As for the cheerleaders... nuff said. :)

crc
15/12/2004, 2:48 PM
I like watching it, especially the final few games and the superbowl, but I can't say that I follow it that much - all I know really is that the Redskins are having an awful time with their QB position. I'm not a skins fan, though, I took no notice of them before I came here. I have a loose affection fot the Jets, and since I visited Pittsburgh, the Steelers, but nothing more than that.

Karlos
15/12/2004, 3:05 PM
I'm a Patriots fan and even was in Gillette stadium once. Its been an amazing few years for them they are an unbelieveable 29-3 over the past two seasons.
:)

Was in Gillette myself in 2003 for a game Vs The Giants. Great day out! Still dream about those hotdogs (& the cheerleaders!)

Your spot on with the AFC this year, Jets doing well, Brees at San Diego is excelling & Manning is on fire with the Colts at the mo. Was it Tennesse 2 weeks ago who re-started each time with an on-side kick to try and stop Manning from getting the ball back. They figured it didn't matter where he started from, he was going to drive it in for a touchdown regardless! Steelers are flying too at the mo.

I just have a sneeky feeling for the Falcons after such a bad year last year and Michael Vick is flying. I think an NFC team will have an easier path to the Superbowl than the AFC teams will have due to quality of the like of San Diego, Indianapolis, Buffalo, NY Jets, Patriots etc etc.

Should be an interesting christmas period.

Peadar
15/12/2004, 3:09 PM
Still dream about those hotdogs (& the cheerleaders!).

Together in the same dream?
Perhaps you want to contribute to this thread! (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=20476) :D

joeSoap
15/12/2004, 3:19 PM
P
A
T
S

pats pats pats

Nice to see a corkman cheering on Pats..... :D :D

Karlos
15/12/2004, 3:23 PM
Together in the same dream?

I'm hoping to sell the movie rights to my dream and insist on Ron Jeremy in the lead role!! :D :D

Real ale Madrid
15/12/2004, 3:29 PM
Was in Gillette myself in 2003 for a game Vs The Giants. Great day out! Still dream about those hotdogs (& the cheerleaders!)

Your spot on with the AFC this year, Jets doing well, Brees at San Diego is excelling & Manning is on fire with the Colts at the mo. Was it Tennesse 2 weeks ago who re-started each time with an on-side kick to try and stop Manning from getting the ball back. They figured it didn't matter where he started from, he was going to drive it in for a touchdown regardless! Steelers are flying too at the mo.

I just have a sneeky feeling for the Falcons after such a bad year last year and Michael Vick is flying. I think an NFC team will have an easier path to the Superbowl than the AFC teams will have due to quality of the like of San Diego, Indianapolis, Buffalo, NY Jets, Patriots etc etc.

Should be an interesting christmas period.

Yeah when i said the Cards i meant to say falcons , i just keep thinking its the Atlanta Cardinals - must be from the Arizona Cardinals from baseball that gets me confused :o

Totally agree with Michael Vick - i just feel that Alge Crumpler is the only guy that is a good reciever there and hes a tight end. They rely on Vick to run the ball too much at times which is a dangerous game to play esp in the playoffs - and the Tampa Bay Game is typical of what can happen to a guy like Vick if there is too much pressure on him. And i'm talking about real pressure from a good defence not media pressure.

anto eile
15/12/2004, 3:37 PM
american throwball morelike.

16 players run into each other while 1 guy throws it to another bloke. yawn-fest

Karlos
15/12/2004, 3:38 PM
They rely on Vick to run the ball too much at times which is a dangerous game to play esp in the playoffs - and the Tampa Bay Game is typical of what can happen to a guy like Vick if there is too much pressure on him. And i'm talking about real pressure from a good defence not media pressure.

Very good point - he'd probably be amazing if the Falcons had a better all round offensive lineout and receivers. They may just get lucky though as on his day he's awesome, very athlectic. I think your defence has got to perform at their best to stop him.

The Eagles are also looking good, McNabb and Owens might just lead them to glory this year.

Good to have some NFL chat now and again me thinks! :)

Real ale Madrid
15/12/2004, 3:51 PM
Im suprised "T O" and McNabb get on so well - That Tyrell Owens is talented but a bit of a tosser -I dare say the eagles wont care if they can finally make the superbowl.

joeSoap
15/12/2004, 4:08 PM
There is one God in the world of American Football, and that's the living legend that is Brett Favre of the Packers. One of the greatest ever, a Dan Marino or Joe Montana in that he has achieved immortality while still playing...
John Elway??....Joe Namath???... Steve McMahon??

And just cos you're a QB doesn't give you automatic greatness rights....what about Jerry Rice, Eric Dickerson, and the legendary William Perry, although the latter was more famed for his girth rather than gift... :D

Real ale Madrid
15/12/2004, 4:11 PM
There is one God in the world of American Football, and that's the living legend that is Brett Favre of the Packers. One of the greatest ever, a Dan Marino or Joe Montana in that he has achieved immortality while still playing...

Agreed - what especially amazing is that he plays mostly at Lambeau Field one of the colder home fields in winter!!!

Karlos
15/12/2004, 4:15 PM
John Elway??....Joe Namath???... Steve McMahon??

And just cos you're a QB doesn't give you automatic greatness rights....what about Jerry Rice, Eric Dickerson, and the legendary William Perry, although the latter was more famed for his girth rather than gift... :D

Agree wholeheartedly, Rice and Dickerson are Legends. What about the Kicker Morten Anderson, still knocking about with one of the highest, if not THE highest points total in NFL History, or the likes Adam Vinetieri at the Pats winning 2 superbowls!

SaucyJack
15/12/2004, 4:21 PM
I HATED John Elway. I think it was the Broncos colour scheme or something deep and meaningful like that...

or maybe because when he was drafted originally by the Colts he refused to play for them because they were a lowly team at the time...he forced the trade to Denver, undermining the NFL draft which in my opinion is one of the greatest and most fair things in all of sports.

Real ale Madrid
15/12/2004, 4:23 PM
Agree wholeheartedly, Rice and Dickerson are Legends. What about the Kicker Morten Anderson, still knocking about with one of the highest, if not THE highest points total in NFL History, or the likes Adam Vinetieri at the Pats winning 2 superbowls!

Youre not seriously talking about kickers in the same breath as quarterbacks surely are you? I dont think you can talk about Quarterbacks in the same breath as any other position on the field. Quarterback's run the offence and are at the centre of every single play - unlike any other position.

SaucyJack
15/12/2004, 4:23 PM
Just got into it in last few years. Support the NY Jets. They're have a good year, won't be able to compete with the NE Patriots this time around though.

The NY Jets??? you must be a masochist...this team will take you on an emotional rollercoaster, unfortunately more downs than ups. they are also my team.

SaucyJack
15/12/2004, 4:25 PM
Youre not seriously talking about kickers in the same breath as quarterbacks surely are you? I dont think you can talk about Quarterbacks in the same breath as any other position on the field. Quarterback's run the offence and are at the centre of every single play - unlike any other position.

kickers are pretty disposable in general, with the exception of several, they also don't get a lot of respect from their fellow players.

Karlos
15/12/2004, 4:28 PM

not comparing positions, not at all, but we were talking about living legends and people who will achieve NFL immortality and I think the likes of Rice, Dickerson, Anderson, Vinatieri will be remembered and reverered for many years to come by NFL fans for their achievements and length of time in the game at a high level.

SaucyJack
15/12/2004, 4:43 PM
Nope...it was the colours that did it for me...

I also hated the way that, when they finally came good, the Broncos were able to grind out result by going on these long drives with play after play until they got their score, it was almost like a machine...

I'm sure John Elway has a shrine somewhere in his mansion devoted to Mike Shanahan and Terell Davis...they never really had a running game until Davis came along,,, and it really looked like Elway was gonna retire without any rings.(Elway was also drafted by the NY Yankees, another reason to dislike him)

strangeirish
15/12/2004, 4:49 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars for me. I live here, so I follow them. Still in with a shout for the playoffs. Big game this week for them in Greenbay. Priced some tickets for the Superbowl here in Jacksonville and the potential black market price...................$1800.00!!!!!!!!!! F... that.

strangeirish
15/12/2004, 4:54 PM
Oh, and for your pleasureHere (http://www.jaguars.com/Cheerleaders/)

Real ale Madrid
15/12/2004, 4:56 PM
not comparing positions, not at all, but we were talking about living legends and people who will achieve NFL immortality and I think the likes of Rice, Dickerson, Anderson, Vinatieri will be remembered and reverered for many years to come by NFL fans for their achievements and length of time in the game at a high level.

Yeah sorry ok. i actually think kickers are underrated - a good kicker really is invaluable.

Aberdonian Stu
15/12/2004, 5:15 PM
Also while QB is the most important position who can forget the demise of Detroit once Sanders was gone. Both he and Payton were legends while playing.

SaucyJack
15/12/2004, 5:40 PM
Also while QB is the most important position who can forget the demise of Detroit once Sanders was gone. Both he and Payton were legends while playing.

watching Michael Vick the other day reminded me of Barry Sanders....Barry was great, he was the anti-sports star....no running back as humble as that guy.

Metrostars
15/12/2004, 7:08 PM
Though I live between New York and Boston, I'm a fan of the Green Bay Packers. I got hooked on them about 10 years ago and had the good fortune to go to Lambeau Field back in 97 which I was on a business trip to nearby Milwaukee. They doing ok this year and will get into the playoffs. After that who knows. Defense is suspect to say the least.

The unique thing about the Packers is that they are non profit publicy traded company owned by the community with over 100,000 shareholders.

shedite
16/12/2004, 3:05 AM
I'm a 49ers fan. They just happened to be playing in the first full game I watched. They had TO back then. They're rubbish this year.

Kickers is the one position I would never play. Never be the hero (well rarely) but often the villan. And remember, most kicks are 40-50 yards. Not an easy task when getting 11 monsters trying to crush you.

As for legends, Lawrence Taylor was the best! Bit ****ed up off the field (as most of them seem to be), but absolutely quality on it.

Superbowl this year? I'm going for Indianapolis to surprise New England to make it where they will proabably play Philadelphia.

Aberdonian Stu
16/12/2004, 12:36 PM
No way Steelers to get revenge for three seasons back when they lost the AFC championship to the Pats! Although admittedly it will be a hell of a lot harder this time as I don't think the Steelers team is as good.

James
16/12/2004, 1:18 PM
No way Steelers to get revenge for three seasons back when they lost the AFC championship to the Pats! Although admittedly it will be a hell of a lot harder this time as I don't think the Steelers team is as good.

was in boston that year and saw 12 Pats victories that season. It got to a stage where the locals at work almost forced me to watch the matches so as not to break the winning run :)
venetari was class that season as was brady..the way he came in from nowhere... celebrations after winning were mental.. got the front page of the boston globe at home .. over 1million ppl cramming into the city centre and parade route.. there were riots and bonfires up and down Mass the night they won.. jumping on cars.. swinging off street lights..

Real ale Madrid
16/12/2004, 2:08 PM
Really can't see the Colts' defence holding up enough to take them to the superbowl. Steelers are a great all round team but with Rothlisburger being a rookie - great and all that he is playing - is very difficult to see him doing as well in the playoffs then he is at the moment. New England are a great all round team playing great stuff at the moment - Brady is unbeaten in the play-offs so its hard to look beyond the Pats. However i have a sneaky feeling Buffalo are going to get in a make a real fist of it.

SaucyJack
16/12/2004, 5:03 PM
I'm a 49ers fan. They just happened to be playing in the first full game I watched. They had TO back then. They're rubbish this year.

Kickers is the one position I would never play. Never be the hero (well rarely) but often the villan. And remember, most kicks are 40-50 yards. Not an easy task when getting 11 monsters trying to crush you.

As for legends, Lawrence Taylor was the best! Bit ****ed up off the field (as most of them seem to be), but absolutely quality on it.

Superbowl this year? I'm going for Indianapolis to surprise New England to make it where they will proabably play Philadelphia.

one of the most gruesome sights in sports is when LT sacked Joe Theismann(ending his career) and snapped his leg broken backward...right up there with the David Busst and Larrsen breaks...I'll try and find the clip.