PDA

View Full Version : Given to United or Arsenal

Fergie's Son
14/12/2004, 2:53 AM
According to the Sun he may be off to either one of those clubs. Not disrespect intended but I wouldn't rate him quite that high.

johnmac
14/12/2004, 7:39 AM
Your disrespect might not have been intended, but it nevertheless is apparent!

Given has been consistently among the top 2 keepers in the Premiership for several years. Although he has not been at his best this season he is still far better than Carroll, Howard, Lehmann or Almunia.

Playing behind the current Newcastle back four is hardly ideal, and a move to either Arsenal or Manchester United would be ideal both for either or them and ROI,

Hibs4Ever
14/12/2004, 7:46 AM
Given is probably THE best 'keeper in England

cullenswood
14/12/2004, 8:14 AM
Given is probably THE best 'keeper in England

Agreed. The only one that comes close maybe Peter Cech, but United or Arsenal will definitely try and snap him up as quick as they can. He would certainly be number one keeper for either of those clubs

Dillo
14/12/2004, 8:15 AM
On current form I don't think there's a better keeper in England than Nigel Martyn. He's still good enough to be Englands number one.

Plastic Paddy
14/12/2004, 8:23 AM
Nigel Martyn. He's still good enough to be Englands number one.

That's not saying much, Dillo. Take the blue-tinted shades off, son. :D

:D PP

Stuttgart88
14/12/2004, 8:26 AM
Martyn's current form is excellent alright but I think he's enjoying a purple patch that's not necessarily representative of his career.

I was at Chelsea against CSKA Moscow about 8 weeks ago and Cech was pure class. Not just his saves, but the confidence he exuded by his command of his box.

Despite all the hype about dodgy 'keepers like Robinson & Dudek (Dudek was the "world's best" according to the press just before joined 'pool!), I think the three most consistently good 'keepers have been Niemi, Kiely (honestly) and Given. Brad Friedel has been good too. Schwartzer is erratic.

I'm not sure how much influence Bob Wilson has at Highbury these days but I think he's been on the record as saying he thinks Given isn't tall enough. My own view is that Given is everything Arsenal need in that dept.

drinkfeckarse
14/12/2004, 8:45 AM
That's not saying much, Dillo. Take the blue-tinted shades off, son. :D

:D PP

Seconded, give it a rest Dillo :rolleyes: ;)

BaZmO*
14/12/2004, 8:51 AM
Well he won't be off to Utd. as rumour has it that Van der Sar is off to Utd. in the new year. Apparently he's on a free aswell which will more than likely clinch the deal.

Just on the subject of who's the best keeper in the premiership. Below are some interesting stats. Games played versus saves made. It's quite an obvious fact but the amount of saves made is directly linked to how good or bad the defence is for the team in question.

Name.........Plyd.......Saves
Cech..........17..........27
Martyn........17.........47
Kiely...........17.........59
Robinson......17.........36
James..........17.........48
Sorenson......15½......54
Green...........17.........67
Carroll..........12.........23
Schwarzer.....17........56
Taylor..........17.........46
Friedel..........17.........63
Hislop...........13.........41
Kirally...........11.........50
Lehmann.......15.........23
Jaaskelainen...16........43
Given............16........46
Van der Sar....12½.....41
Niemi.............12........39

Stuttgart88
14/12/2004, 8:57 AM
I suppose what I really should have said is that until now I thought he'd left his best days behind him. Maybe it's just a late purple patch or maybe he's simply playing to the best of his ability again.

I'd certainly like to have someone of his standard available in an Irish squad because, as we've all said in this site, our current cover is a bit scary.

I don't think he ever looked convincing for England though but you're very much under pressure to deliver immediately in front of their media.

cullenswood
14/12/2004, 9:05 AM
It's quite an obvious fact but the amount of saves made is directly linked to how good or bad the defence is for the team in question.

Yes, I dont think the numbers of saves made has any co-relation to how good a keeper is, but as to how bad a team are. As I read on another site, a keeper for one of the top teams has the job description of doing sweet FA for most of the time, but when he is called upon he must be fully focused and make the top class save.

TheJamaicanP.M.
14/12/2004, 11:10 AM
On current form I don't think there's a better keeper in England than Nigel Martyn. He's still good enough to be Englands number one.

Agree wholeheartedly with you Dillo. Apart from Peter Czech:D, I dont think there's been a better 'keeper than Martyn. He has always been under-rated. Everton havent got the most accomplished of defenders, yet the amout of 1 nil wins they've had is testament to Martyn. He's definitely the best English 'keeper at the moment.

On a different note, I heard Dudek is back between the posts for Liverpool tonight. :rolleyes:

Hibs4Ever
14/12/2004, 11:13 AM
Not a Liverpool fan, but think Dudek is far better that Kirkland

eirebhoy
14/12/2004, 11:19 AM
Given angles for a move - reports (http://www.ireland.com/sports/soccer/2004/1214/1099561115809_1103014821397.html)

14/12/2004: Republic of Ireland international Shay Given has signalled his intent to leave Newcastle, according to reports in the British press this morning.

Both the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=330688&in_page_id=1779&in_a_source=&ct=5) and The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2004580325,00.html) claim that the Donegal 'keeper is dissatisfied with life at St James' Park and could leave as soon as the January transfer window if the right offer came in.

The 28-year-old is seen as a potential target for both Manchester United and Arsenal whose goalkeeping problems have been well documented in recent weeks.

thejollyrodger
14/12/2004, 11:35 AM
I'd say he would go to Man Utd before Arsenal. How many years has he left in him I wonder. I dont see any real promising talent coming through the Irish set up.

eirebhoy
14/12/2004, 12:01 PM
I'd say he would go to Man Utd before Arsenal. How many years has he left in him I wonder. I dont see any real promising talent coming through the Irish set up.
He said he feels he has another 10 years left in him.

Peadar
14/12/2004, 12:17 PM
I'd say he would go to Man Utd before Arsenal.

Arsenal have already stated that they will not buy a keeper in the January transfer window.

BaZmO*
14/12/2004, 12:34 PM
Clubs say a lot of things. Doesn't mean it true!!!

Peadar
14/12/2004, 12:38 PM
Clubs say a lot of things. Doesn't mean it true!!!

Arsenal don't have much money to spend.
That is something they can't deny.
Unless they get Given for a steal, they wont be signing him.

Slash/ED
14/12/2004, 2:11 PM
According to the Sun he may be off to either one of those clubs. Not disrespect intended but I wouldn't rate him quite that high.

Yeah, he's no Tim Howard, Roy Carroll, Jens Lehmann or that other clown Arsenal are playing at the moment.

Pablo
14/12/2004, 2:15 PM
Shay is a fine goal keeper. It should be no suprise to anyone that the big boys are chasing him.
he's top notch

Fergie's Son
14/12/2004, 2:30 PM
I don't agree. I think Given is an excellent keeper but I think he is too small. He is a great shot stopped but he doesn't command his box well and he isn't great on crosses.

United are still looking for the next Peter Schmiechal so I don't think a move there would suit Given.

Arsenal need a keeper who can handle crosses given their relative weakness in the air.

Personally, I have always rated Kiely above Given but that's just a personal preference. I rather tough, physical keepers so I am biased. That said, I don't see Given going to either Arsenal or United.

Dublin12
14/12/2004, 2:33 PM
lol United are still looking for the next Schmiechal

Fergie's Son
14/12/2004, 3:14 PM
Aren't they? He is arguably one of the best keepers ever and definitely the best ever in the Premiership. He commanded his box, marshalled the defense and was a great shotstopper. United have never had a goalie come close to that since then.

Terry
14/12/2004, 3:26 PM
well if he does want to move on, and one of the top clubs want him, they will have to pay for him as Souness has a price tag of 11 million pounds on his head!!!! :confused: Thats a lot of money for a keeper

Dublin12
14/12/2004, 3:27 PM
I agree he was a fantastic keeper and a one off but is it not time to stop comparing every keeper to Schmiechal,it's a bit annoying thats all.What would you think if England fan's were still looking for the next Gordon Banks!

Dublin12
14/12/2004, 3:28 PM
According to the latest from Sky sports he's going nowhere and is a bit confused himself as to where the rumours started

Superhoops
14/12/2004, 4:53 PM
well if he does want to move on, and one of the top clubs want him, they will have to pay for him as Souness has a price tag of 11 million pounds on his head!!!! :confused: Thats a lot of money for a keeper
Can see United getting him as part of a deal involving O'Shea to Newcastle and about £6/£7m.

Dublin12
15/12/2004, 9:41 AM
I suppose your confidence would be dented playing behind Titus Shambles week in week out