PDA

View Full Version : Dominic Foley

Pablo
16/01/2002, 6:23 PM
DF has joined Swindon Town on loan from Watford.....doing ok too scored the other day:

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/team/view/featured_player/0,1563,10341,00.html

pete
16/01/2002, 6:31 PM
What division Swindon in? I know he scoed a few goals in US Cup but still don't know how an english 1st division bench warmer got into the irish national squad.

:confused:

Pablo
16/01/2002, 6:38 PM
They are in the second division afaik. no doubt if he gets a run and a few goals he'll get the call from Mick.

Sadlier has got to be the better option though he is on fire in the first division at the moment.....bangin them in

theworm2345
31/03/2010, 9:38 PM
8 years later....
Foley scored twice today in the Europa League playoff for his club (they lost 5-3). I won't be championing his cause for a recall but good for him.

SkStu
31/03/2010, 9:43 PM
have rated Foley very highly since his time with Bohs - obviously wasnt a fan of how he left the club but he was head and shoulders above the rest of the league when he wanted to be. I always thought he deserved another look for Ireland (2 goals in 4 starts) based on what id seen. Not now though, he's 33.

Stevo Da Gull
31/03/2010, 10:23 PM
I'm a big Foley fan. I reckon he's very underrated and should have been a more regular inclusion but international football is off the agenda. Very good career though, and I really admire the route he took. Rather than limiting himself to the UK leagues he's really taken his own path, including coming to the LOI. Fair dues to him.

Crosby87
01/04/2010, 12:26 AM
What happened to Pablo, and Pete? 20,000 posts? I fear the worst.....

theworm2345
30/07/2010, 2:27 AM
Scored again today in the Europa League, good to see at least one Irishman doing so.

theworm2345
13/05/2011, 3:30 PM
Foley's team will today contest the first leg of what is basically a playoff semifinal for a spot in the Europa League.

SkStu
13/05/2011, 6:53 PM
an average of one post per year for Dominic "wheres me bonus?" Foley since this thread was started. Excellent centre forward but a poor excuse for a person.

Stuttgart88
06/06/2016, 11:13 AM
Really good interview with Dominic here

http://www.the42.ie/dominic-foley-june-2016-2799945-Jun2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

osarusan
06/06/2016, 11:53 AM
Really good interview with Dominic here

http://www.the42.ie/dominic-foley-june-2016-2799945-Jun2016/?utm_source=twitter_self

Very interesting stuff.

This part stood out for me regarding player development:

“A lot of that is to do with the culture in England too,” Foley insists. “The game is played at 100 miles an hour over there. This is opening up a big can of worms now but kids are going to England at 15 or 16. If we had proper structures in place, these kids would be much better off going over at 18 or 19.

On the one hand I agree, it would be great to keep them home until later, if the 'proper structures' were in place. On foot.ie we often talk about keeping players home for longer, but I always wonder about what we're keeping them home for. I mean, just what kind of investment would it take for us to offer training similar to the training they get at UK clubs as a 16 year old, never mind better training.

We see it said by LOI fans too - wouldn't it be great for them to play LOI for a couple of years first before they leave for better leagues as older, better players. It would be good for the LOI for sure, and we'd probably lose fewer players to disillusionment along the way, but would those players who come through actually be better than they would have if they'd left at 16. What's he likelihood of LOI providing better training than a League 1 club, say? Or the training being supplemented with regional development centres or something like that.

Maybe I'm pessimistic about it, but I don't see those proper structures ever being put in place.

DeLorean
06/06/2016, 1:05 PM
I thought it was interesting that despite the good structures and investment in youth development from the Euro 2000 windfall, Foley still reckons Belgium's recent 'success' is more down to a fluky coincidence than anything else. It reminded me of the saying, "the harder I work the luckier I get".

Stuttgart88
06/06/2016, 1:16 PM
Aren't the new national underage leagues / divisions a step in the right direction?

A comment offline by a poster here about Connor Clifford playing in League One (or Two?) made me think. The foot.ie poster asked a scout what he thought of him and the replay was something like "typical big club academy player, technically excellent but didn't win a header or a tackle all day".

paul_oshea
06/06/2016, 1:55 PM
It kind of reminds me of the time as a child when i was staying with an English family and I was on about how ears affected your balance. Laughed at by the my friend(s) and parents for saying something so mad, stupid and irrational....

NeverFeltBetter
06/06/2016, 10:14 PM
Whatever happened with Foley and Limerick? He just seemed to vanish into the ether between Pat Scully's First Division winning team and Stuart Taylor in the Premier. How long was he with the club?

CraftyToePoke
07/06/2016, 1:40 AM
Whatever happened with Foley and Limerick? He just seemed to vanish into the ether between Pat Scully's First Division winning team and Stuart Taylor in the Premier. How long was he with the club?

Isn't he Limerick FC U17 manager ? He was last time I read anything about them anyway.

NeverFeltBetter
07/06/2016, 8:47 PM
He is? That passed me by anyway.

CraftyToePoke
07/06/2016, 8:56 PM
Far as I know its still the case :http://www.limerickfc.ie/u17s-it-will-breed-confidence-within-the-camp-boland

Unless there are two and the other one is our U17 manager

osarusan
07/06/2016, 11:08 PM
Are you not confusing Foley and Boland?

CraftyToePoke
08/06/2016, 5:34 AM
Are you not confusing Foley and Boland?

You are indeed correct, need to pay more attention.

So what did happen to Foley ?

NeverFeltBetter
30/11/2023, 10:41 AM
Back in Limerick, as manager of Treaty's WNL side: https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2023/1130/1419337-former-ireland-player-foley-lands-treaty-united-job/