PDA

View Full Version : Competitive full international....

seand
26/08/2015, 3:29 PM
Sligo's Sander Puri is in the Estonia squad for their upcoming euro qualifiers. Of course there's no guarantee he'll play, but I'm wondering who the last League of Ireland player was to play a competitive (World Cup or Euro qualifier) international in Europe while still a LoI player? Do we have to go back to the 70s or early 80s for a Republic of Ireland international?

And while we're here, how many League of Ireland players played full internationals for countries other than RoI while still in the league? There were a couple of Derry lads for NI, Coyle, McGinn. Wes Charles certainly played for St Vincent while at Bray, Nooitmeer for Haiti while at Galway. Any others?

El-Pietro
26/08/2015, 3:43 PM
Roberts Mezeckis was capped for Latvia in 2009 - he played a handful of games that season for us before retiring due to injury. I think he was capped just before the season started but I'm not sure and can't find anything on it. He looked brilliant to be fair to him, was a real pity it didn't work out for him. The other Latvian we had that season, Guntars Silgailis was not quite as good.

patrickccfc
26/08/2015, 4:24 PM
The other Latvian we had that season, Guntars Silgailis was not quite as good.

He scored 3 goals in his first 2 games if I remember correctly, then became a source of amusement after that because of his sometimes comical attempts at scoring. We sometimes chant his name along with other ex-player's song's during a game

Martinho II
26/08/2015, 4:26 PM
I am sure Eric Lavine was capped whilst playin in the loi. Maybe the galway utd fans can help me on this one?

gufcfan
26/08/2015, 5:15 PM
I am sure Eric Lavine was capped whilst playin in the loi. Maybe the galway utd fans can help me on this one?
He was definitely capped while at United.

TheBoss
26/08/2015, 6:17 PM
All I can think of is Mindaugas Kalonas, played for Lithuania against Romania in 2008 while a Bohemians player, it was a World Cup qualifier and he scored also. Limerick's recent new signing Freddy Hall played for Bermuda in their World Cup qualifier just weeks before he joined them.

Acornvilla
26/08/2015, 7:21 PM
Avery John must hardly got a cap at some stage between his stints with Longford and Bohs?

TonyD
26/08/2015, 7:48 PM
Avery John must hardly got a cap at some stage between his stints with Longford and Bohs?

Was thinking of him. Went to the World Cup didn't he ? 2006 ? Was probably gone from the league by then ?

gufcfan
26/08/2015, 7:59 PM

He played in the Gold Cup while he was in the LOI. (http://int.soccerway.com/matches/2002/01/20/nc-america/concacaf-gold-cup/costa-rica/trinidad-and-tobago/251047/)

Nesta99
26/08/2015, 8:55 PM
but I'm wondering who the last League of Ireland player was to play a competitive (World Cup or Euro qualifier) international in Europe while still a LoI player? Do we have to go back to the 70s or early 80s for a Republic of Ireland international?

And while we're here, how many League of Ireland players played full internationals for countries other than RoI while still in the league? There were a couple of Derry lads for NI, Coyle, McGinn. Wes Charles certainly played for St Vincent while at Bray, Nooitmeer for Haiti while at Galway. Any others?

That makes it much tougher. Bar those mention from outside Europe already, was there a New Zealand international in the league quite recently. A look back through Sligo squads is the starting point for this as they seem to scout more exotic places for players than most of us. Or am I just remembering some of Connors managerial spoof between Sligo, Bohs, and Dundalk player recruitment?

Dodge
26/08/2015, 10:47 PM
Pat Byrne was the last LOI player to play competitively for Ireland in qualifiers for 1986 WC

Charlie Darwin
26/08/2015, 11:12 PM
Pat Byrne was the last LOI player to play competitively for Ireland in qualifiers for 1986 WC
Was trying to remember if it was Pat Byrne or somebody else.

Boco played competitively for Benin in WC qualifiers while at Sligo I'm sure.

seand
27/08/2015, 8:33 AM
Did Babaz play for Uganda while at Pats?

nigel-harps1954
27/08/2015, 11:18 AM
Did Joey N'do win any caps after his move to Ireland?

Pascal Millien must have won a cap or two while here also?

Alan Mannus or Ryan Thompson at Shamrock Rovers?

seand
27/08/2015, 12:39 PM
Ndo's last cap came in 2002 before joining Pats in 03. Mannus was in the NI squad once when at Rovers but didn't play- he was the first Republic of Ireland based player to be called up for the North's senior team for decades. I don't think Thompson was capped at Rovers.

Millien is a good call.

Alvin Rouse another possibility?

Dodge
27/08/2015, 1:31 PM
Did Babaz play for Uganda while at Pats?

yes. at the start of his Pats career but he fell out with the Ugandan FA in 2003 and didn't play after that

seand
27/08/2015, 2:18 PM
yes. at the start of his Pats career but he fell out with the Ugandan FA in 2003 and didn't play after that

Maybe they just didn't have him registered

Park_Lane
27/08/2015, 2:41 PM
Eammon Zayed for Libya. Did Ryan Guy play for Guam while at Pats?

gufcfan
27/08/2015, 2:42 PM
Reggie Nooitmeer was a former Dutch u21 international and was capped for Haiti while with Galway. Last seen playing for a basement 3rd tier Protestant division team in Holland. (3rd tier is split between Saturday and Sunday, rather than regionally.)

Dodge
27/08/2015, 2:46 PM
Eammon Zayed for Libya. Did Ryan Guy play for Guam while at Pats?

Nope. He was American while with Pats

Park_Lane
27/08/2015, 2:46 PM
Reggie Nooitmeer was a former Dutch u21 international and was capped for Haiti while with Galway. Last seen playing for a basement 3rd tier Protestant division team. (3rd tier is split between Saturday and Sunday, rather than regionally.)

Linfield?

RiffRaff
27/08/2015, 5:01 PM
I'd be interested to know who is the most capped player while on the books of each LOI team since there are a lot of names mentioned here. Pretty sure Avery John is the only Longford player to have got a full cap while playing for De Town

gufcfan
27/08/2015, 6:50 PM
Linfield?
Left out "in Holland".

MeathDrog
27/08/2015, 10:57 PM
Che Bunce may have gotten New Zealand caps while he played with Drogheda in 2003.

seand
28/08/2015, 8:12 AM
Slightly off topic, but it would be shame not to share this page about players winning full caps for Ireland when playing for Dundalk. Great pic too
http://www.dundalkfc.com/history/irish-football-bits-bobs/dundalks-irish-internationals/

And a very, very old internet page with the stats for Dundalk's internationals...
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~chip/intplayers.html

Professor K
28/08/2015, 1:56 PM
Since Pat Byrne in 1986, three players have been capped whilst a Shamrock Rovers player:

Luke Dimech for Malta - Four Euro 2004 qualifiers

Samir Boughanem for Morocco - Two friendlies in 2003

Eamon Zayed for Libya - Three times in 2013, one of those a 2014 World Cup qualifier

Dodge
28/08/2015, 2:10 PM
For Pats, since Noel Campbell in 1971 (the last Republic of Ireland international) only Mbabazi (I think 6 but I'm looking to confirm that) with Uganda and Jeff Clarke (once v NI in 1999) with Canada have played full internationals

Several ex full internationals have played in the last 15 years or so representing Ireland (Fahey, O'Cearuill), Wales (Patridge), Northern Ireland (Wood), Cameroon (Ndo) and Australia (Blatsis). I think Ryan Guy is the only player to leave Pats and go on to full (non Irish) international caps (Guam)

Ezeikial
28/08/2015, 3:28 PM
Slightly off topic, but it would be shame not to share this page about players winning full caps for Ireland when playing for Dundalk. Great pic too
http://www.dundalkfc.com/history/irish-football-bits-bobs/dundalks-irish-internationals/

This one from your first link grabbed my attention

10. Synan BraddishThere was a lot of surprise when Ireland manager John Giles called up teenager Synan Braddish for a friendly with Turkey at Lansdowne Road on April 5th 1978. Braddish was introduced for Gerry Daly after 67 minutes. Ireland ran out 4-2 winners. Braddish was also in the line-up for a 3-0 defeat in Poland seven days later.

There was a story that this cap was gifted to Synan Braddish on the understanding that he agreed to join Rovers for the following season. Braddish took the cap but then refused to join Giles at Rovers.

Obviously a total urban myth as there is no way a club as ethical as Rovers would be involved in dirty tricks like this

seand
28/08/2015, 4:52 PM
I for one am amazed Braddish didn't turn down Liverpool for Rovers

peadar1987
29/08/2015, 12:41 PM
I'm fairly sure Skippy was called up to an Australia squad or two while at Bray, but never played above youth level.

ger121
01/09/2015, 10:18 PM
I seem to remember Glen Crowe getting called up to a competitive double header squad but having to pull out due to injury. Unless I just dreamt it.

Eminence Grise
02/09/2015, 5:50 PM
I'm fairly sure Skippy was called up to an Australia squad or two while at Bray, but never played above youth level.

'Tk tk tk.'
'What's that, Skip? You've been called up for the Olympic Squad for Beijing?'
'Tk tk tk.'
'Or some Sheila's driven her car into the creek? Hard to know with you sometimes.'

GypsyBlackCat
04/09/2015, 12:14 PM
Wes Charles won over a 100caps for St. Vincent and the Grenadines. He must have got a couple while at Bray.

Briuk
04/09/2015, 4:38 PM
Sligo had Pascal Millen in 2013? who capped for Haiti and missed several games, and I think Boco also missed some games to play with Benin

pineapple stu
04/09/2015, 5:23 PM
I think Dave Norman played for Canada while with UCD.

There was a couple of other Canadians at the same time; not sure if any of them got full caps though.

Can't think of anyone else offhand. Hugh Davey would be the only other player I can even think of who'd have gotten any caps for another country while at UCD (NI u-21 caps)

seand
07/09/2015, 9:40 AM
Sander Puri came on for the last few minutes of Estonia's 1-0 win over Lithuania on Saturday

OwlsFan
08/09/2015, 4:52 PM
I was wondering whether there is still scope for the League vs League games which used to be played (e.g. League of Ireland vs Irish League or Scottish etc). They used to be quite common in the 1970s/80s. The gimmicky ones against Celtic or Manchester United are irrelevant as they don't have the competitive edge of the inter-league games and would be a recognition for the best LOI players since they no longer seem to get full internationals?

Dodge
08/09/2015, 7:36 PM
No is the quick answer. I was at a fair few in late 90s and the crowds were always poor enough. No with managers complaining ever more about fixture lists, there really wouldn't be any appetite for it

Apart from nerds like me that would go to the games

Nesta99
09/09/2015, 2:20 PM
I'd be more interested in LoI XI (oops) v the national as some warm-up match with the LoI team in a proper training camp together prior. Better than playing Jamaica or Australia or someone in Craven Cottage!

Mr A
09/09/2015, 2:36 PM
I know the national team aren't at their best but still think we should field more than 9 players.

Charlie Darwin
09/09/2015, 2:37 PM
I know the national team aren't at their best but still think we should field more than 9 players.
I assume Nesta means the number who'll be on the pitch after Boccer and Pat Flynn see red.

Nesta99
09/09/2015, 2:52 PM
Ye beat me to some comment CD about the national team or certain League players with designated seats in the stand for suspensions.

Longfordian
09/09/2015, 8:52 PM
Pat Flynn™ has been relatively well behaved for us to be honest. Only been sent off twice. Admittedly he's been injured most of this season.

redobit
09/09/2015, 9:40 PM
Puri played against Duff in The Showgrounds a few weeks back. The last time both of them played against each other was the Ireland V Estonia European qualifier a few years back.

gufcfan
09/09/2015, 10:04 PM
I assume Nesta means the number who'll be on the pitch after Boccer and Pat Flynn see red.

I think the IX is one sending off and one starter missing until after HT because he forgot he was playing until he saw it on the telly.

Nesta99
11/09/2015, 12:48 AM
Or locked in somewhere?

littlebray
14/09/2015, 9:58 PM
Wes Charles won over a 100caps for St. Vincent and the Grenadines. He must have got a couple while at Bray.

Wes played in 16 World Cup Qualifiers according to the FIFA website, but I recall there was a difficulty as he was registered under a slightly different name, and his 2006 WCQ matches don't appear there. It doesn't help that they seem to have trimmed their archive, and the individual match reports are gone!

While with Sligo he played in 10 of St Vincent's 12 qualifiers in 2000, scoring twice.

While with Bray he appeared in all but one of their WCQ 2006 games (a total of five caps), and scoring against St Lucia. He also featured in all the Copa Caribe matches in the winter of 2004/05.