PDA

View Full Version : Spanish giants to play at Brandywell

A face
11/12/2004, 2:32 PM
Spanish giants to play at Brandywell

Derry City football club are reported to be in discussions with La Liga side Real Sociedad over the possibility of the Spanish side playing a friendly at the Brandywell early next year.

Sociedad are one of the top sides in Spain and reached the knockout stages of the Champions League, while the San Sebastian club have managed to finish in the top half of La Liga on an annual basis.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15099)

jimhacker
13/12/2004, 9:54 AM
You should try to make it home and away.....it's a nice place!

dortie
13/12/2004, 11:01 AM
You should try to make it home and away.....it's a nice place!

That would be nice, particularly with no europe !

CollegeTillIDie
13/12/2004, 8:39 PM
That would be nice, particularly with no europe !

but will they draw a crowd as they are not from the premiersh*T or in the Champions League? :confused:

corkharps
14/12/2004, 9:32 AM
but will they draw a crowd as they are not from the premiersh*T or in the Champions League? :confused:

Derry only need 2,000 for it to be a sell out! :eek:

dortie
14/12/2004, 9:59 AM
Derry only need 2,000 for it to be a sell out! :eek:

3,200 actually.

A Harps fan but can dream of a crowd like that.

Risteard
14/12/2004, 10:06 AM
How could you accuse Harps of having poor support?
Anyway, can someone tell me again how Derry always manage to get these 'Spanish Giants'?

eoinh
14/12/2004, 10:09 AM
i dont why you put that in inverted commas as they are spainish giants.

Risteard
14/12/2004, 10:13 AM
Me neither.
Sorry.
Well?
Is it something to do with their chairman having powerful spanish friends in football circles?

Terry
14/12/2004, 11:46 AM
Anyway, can someone tell me again how Derry always manage to get these 'Spanish Giants'?

John Hume has some pulling power in this, hasn't he?

makka_dcfc
14/12/2004, 5:42 PM
3,200 actually.

A Harps fan but can dream of a crowd like that.

They dont need to dream about it. Just have nightmares cuz the crowd at THAT play off was much more than that. :cool:

makka_dcfc
14/12/2004, 5:43 PM
John Hume has some pulling power in this, hasn't he?
As far as i know Mr Hume played very little if any part in this fixture.

dancinpants
14/12/2004, 6:51 PM
How could you accuse Harps of having poor support?

Well they were gettin crowds of about 800 alot of the time not even that until the bandwagoners jumped on for the last couple of home games. 800 is very average - poor even.

makka_dcfc
14/12/2004, 11:33 PM
Well they were gettin crowds of about 800 alot of the time not even that until the bandwagoners jumped on for the last couple of home games. 800 is very average - poor even.

For a team such as ourselves and the facilities we have it is diabolical. Something must be done on this front to drastically improve turnout for next season. But i think with a manager such as Kenny this is indeed a step in the right direction.

dancinpants
14/12/2004, 11:44 PM
For a team such as ourselves and the facilities we have it is diabolical. Something must be done on this front to drastically improve turnout for next season. But i think with a manager such as Kenny this is indeed a step in the right direction.

Makka I was talking about the Harps attendance. Our average, which doesn't set the world alight either, is around 1700.

makka_dcfc
15/12/2004, 10:08 PM
Makka I was talking about the Harps attendance. Our average, which doesn't set the world alight either, is around 1700.

still applies dancinpants

Sheridan
15/12/2004, 10:31 PM
If Derry could get Sociedad legend John Aldridge over for a post-match Q&A they might do even better financially out of this game. He'd be up for it, too, all the Italia '90 squad members are whores for that kind of thing.

makka_dcfc
16/12/2004, 12:17 AM
We have been keping in regular contact with Aldo since the Golf Classic last season so that might not be a bad idea! :)

dortie
16/12/2004, 8:52 AM
If Derry could get Sociedad legend John Aldridge over for a post-match Q&A they might do even better financially out of this game. He'd be up for it, too, all the Italia '90 squad members are whores for that kind of thing.

As Makka says Aldo has close connections to us already, he has even been in drinking in our bar a few times...The Oakgrove.