PDA

View Full Version : Airport staff sacked over Rangers incident

A face
11/12/2004, 12:03 AM
Airport staff sacked over Rangers incident

December 10, 2004

Two Aer Rianta staff, who were dismissed by their employers for ordering a group of Glasgow Rangers fans to cover their jerseys while passing through Dublin airport, had their case heard at an employment tribunal this week.

The incident occurred on July 12th this year and the hearing heard how Celtic fans’ Frank Flynn and Ken Geary harassed a small group of Rangers’ supporters into covering their jerseys.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/offthefield/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=15102)

jofyisgod
11/12/2004, 3:17 PM
Celtic fans’ Frank Flynn and Ken Geary [/URL]

They saw the 1998 Old Firm game on TV3, and promptly announced themselves as hardcore 'Bhoys'

Stupid fúckers :rolleyes:

Duncan Gardner
12/12/2004, 6:39 PM
Even if their explanation wasn't credible, the sack seems an unreasonable punishment. I hope they get their jobs back.

eoinh
13/12/2004, 9:40 AM
Should have been made to work for Ryanair....... ;)

Under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement all criminality has to cease. That means no working for Ryanair. Even the IRA or the UDA never subjected people to that.

Hibs4Ever
13/12/2004, 10:58 AM
[Attack the post, not the poster. --adam]

pete
13/12/2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds like they got what they deserved. They were working at the time & i'd say we haven't heard of half the details.

Éanna
13/12/2004, 12:09 PM
about time something was done to combat the scourge of these sectarian cretins who infest this country

jofyisgod
13/12/2004, 12:31 PM
about time something was done to combat the scourge of these sectarian cretins who infest this country

Agree 100%-the attitude needs to be removed tbh

tiktok
13/12/2004, 1:05 PM
If i saw two guys coming through the airport in Rangers shirts and knew there was a bunch of Celtic fans drinking/drunk somewhere close, I probably would have told the two guys to cover up to avoid getting hassled. I don't think that's an unreasonable piece of advice to offer.

pete
13/12/2004, 1:41 PM
From the Irish Times...
'Ms Fiona Crawford, for Mr Geary, said that on that occasion the Rangers supporters were drunk and aggressive.
They used sectarian language and called her client "Irish scum" and a "Free State Fenian *******", she said.'

The workers would say that but who really knows what happened..maybe Rangers lads trying to get workrs in trouble or workers trying to cover thier collective asses...

lopez
13/12/2004, 2:24 PM
If i saw two guys coming through the airport in Rangers shirts and knew there was a bunch of Celtic fans drinking/drunk somewhere close, I probably would have told the two guys to cover up to avoid getting hassled. I don't think that's an unreasonable piece of advice to offer. Surely 'told them to go straight on through while I put a crash helmet over my head as it all kicked off.' :D Rangers fans 'sectarian': Who would have guessed? :rolleyes:

Duncan Gardner
13/12/2004, 5:18 PM
Don't be so stupid. They deserved what they got.

Don't be so rude, particularly if you've nothing else to add. Disciplinary action short of the sack would be reasonable if they can't offer a credible explanation.

lopez
13/12/2004, 10:55 PM
Don't be so rude, particularly if you've nothing else to add. Disciplinary action short of the sack would be reasonable if they can't offer a credible explanation.Does that include Luis Habla-cajones aswell mister TU rep?

pete
14/12/2004, 10:32 AM
Those Aer Rianta bhoys were almost certainly unionised so must have been a lot more to incident than reported otherwise the unions reps would have had their bhoys on walkout as it usually doesn't take much of an excuse...!

TheJamaicanP.M.
14/12/2004, 12:02 PM
They saw the 1998 Old Firm game on TV3, and promptly announced themselves as hardcore 'Bhoys'

Stupid fúckers :rolleyes:

TV3 only showed one live match in 1998. That was Yugoslavia V Ireland on November 18th. They definitely didnt show an Old Firm game. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Duncan Gardner
14/12/2004, 6:27 PM
Does that include Luis Habla-cajones aswell mister TU rep?

I'd certainly be glad to give Aragones the benefit of my advice, Senor. It would be

a) you're bang to rights, so best admit it

b) make a grovelling apology

c) accept that you deserve severe discipline, which should lessen the likelihood of the Spanish archer

d) don't listen to those offering spurious parallels with lesser offences :)

Are you on strike at Feliz Navidad, Renfe Boy? Shame you can't make it on Thursday. I'll have a San Miguel for ye!

Plastic Paddy
15/12/2004, 6:16 AM
Are you on strike at Feliz Navidad, Renfe Boy?

"Renfe Boy"? :D :D That's superb. I've just spluttered muesli everywhere...

:D PP

Dublin12
15/12/2004, 9:35 AM
Talking about security,well,when I passed through the airport recently late at night there was only one guy there checking and as we approached he said,non EU over this side EU just go straight through without even looking at any passports :rolleyes:

Éanna
15/12/2004, 12:44 PM
What about'hating Shelbourne globally',FFS........You cant just FORGET 800 yrs.of history.........Now that is Cretinous! ;)
ever so slightly tongue in cheek perhaps? I never said anything about forgetting, but equally whats the use in living in the past like these morons do

lopez
15/12/2004, 1:03 PM
I'd certainly be glad to give Aragones the benefit of my advice, Senor. It would be

a) you're bang to rights, so best admit it

b) make a grovelling apology

c) accept that you deserve severe discipline, which should lessen the likelihood of the Spanish archer

d) don't listen to those offering spurious parallels with lesser offences :) I'll remember you if I ever need you on a Disciplinary Board as I'm currently 'sin un sindicato.'

Are you on strike at Feliz Navidad, Renfe Boy? Shame you can't make it on Thursday. I'll have a San Miguel for ye!Well as stated I consult my own membership these days on strikes and the general line is, if it's BOTH Aslef AND official, and not taking the p*ss (like striking for some lazy shirker who's been given his P45) I'm out. But I'm early NYE and off on 1 Jan as I'm hoping for another invitation to my mate's (who you met before the Nigeria game) top New Year bash. Last year was f*cking carnage with matey ending up crashed out in his own bath fully clothed while I had to lay low at work the next day for fear of anyone sniffing my boozy breath. :eek:

RebelBhoy
04/01/2005, 7:17 PM
would any one of ye walk through belfast airport with a celtic jersey on? Or in Eannas case would you wear a republic jersey there. ;) At the very least u would cover it up. And as far as I know(admitedly I was nt at the airport at the time! :p ) it was only the drunken rangers fans who said or did anything sectarian. :rolleyes:

lopez
05/01/2005, 10:10 AM
would any one of ye walk through belfast airport with a celtic jersey on? Or in Eannas case would you wear a republic jersey there. ;) At the very least u would cover it up. And as far as I know(admitedly I was nt at the airport at the time! :p ) it was only the drunken rangers fans who said or did anything sectarian. :rolleyes:Didn't see anyone wearing a Republic or Celtic jersey at Aldergrove but saw two Republic jerseys and two Celtic tops in the centre of Belfast one lunch time on my last visit there. Does that count?

RebelBhoy
05/01/2005, 11:06 AM
Hmmm, I see that, despite knowing no more about the issue than any can glean from the newspapers, you have decided the issue yourself - thouhg the 'Bhoy' in your name was a giveaway.

I believe the Rangers fans sought to introduce the video evidence to show (i) they were not drunk and (ii) it was they who were abused.

I see you chose not to include me stateing that "as far as i know". If thats the case with the gers fans. pity thye media did'nt report that clearly enough