PDA

View Full Version : Future Televised PL Games on friday nites

nr637
14/08/2015, 11:26 AM
Clubs fixtures will have to compete with televised PL games on friday nites next year, so what are the best suggestions for our clubs to attract fans?

I think the FAI should prepare now and look at all possibilities to help clubs.

It should be interesting to see how tonights attendances figures fare as the Aston Villa v Man. United PL game is on Sky and in direct competion.

Anyone with ideas or suggestions? :confused:

Dunny
14/08/2015, 11:37 AM
Clubs fixtures will have to compete with televised PL games on friday nites next year, so what are the best suggestions for our clubs to attract fans?

I think the FAI should prepare now and look at all possibilities to help clubs.

It should be interesting to see how tonights attendances figures fare as the Aston Villa v Man. United PL game is on Sky and in direct competion.

Anyone with ideas or suggestions? :confused:
Yer having a laugh :D
As you were.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
14/08/2015, 11:55 AM
Play games on Saturday night

nigel-harps1954
14/08/2015, 1:06 PM

Oh god no...couldn't clash with Spanish or Italian leagues.

Who gives a crap what games are clashed with in a foreign league. People that will watch League of Ireland will still watch League of Ireland.

outspoken
14/08/2015, 3:03 PM

Who gives a crap what games are clashed with in a foreign league. People that will watch League of Ireland will still watch League of Ireland.

Thank you, sick of this rubbish talk about 10 meaningless queens league matches to be honest with you.

Charlie Darwin
14/08/2015, 3:31 PM
It's gotten to the point where the scope for moving games to avoid clashes is very limited. We have Friday nights now (Saturdays for some) and it seems to be preferable to all the alternatives. We need to have the confidence to worry about ourselves and not be trying to bend over backwards to avoid English games. Clashes will happen, deal with it.

bennocelt
14/08/2015, 5:46 PM

I took that as a joke, right?:o

jinxy lilywhite
14/08/2015, 6:14 PM
Saturday nights work for Bray Sligo and Limerick. Thursday nights used to work for Dundalk until we got out of the 1st division and were forced to change.

I think there are bigger problems in the league closer to home that are a greater threat than Sky. Or didn't help but there are always going to be threats to Fridays nights whether it be the tv, clash with GAA county championship's, cinemas, etc.

What I would like to see though is UEFA taking a stand against the big leagues on behalf of the smaller leagues to keep at least Friday night free from televised football

Nah Nah Nah Nah
15/08/2015, 3:08 AM

Youre never going to get new fans with that attitude

Charlie Darwin
15/08/2015, 3:16 AM
Youre never going to get new fans with that attitude
Is Owen Hargreaves still training with yous?

Mr A
15/08/2015, 12:02 PM
I think the Villa United game really hurt the attendance at Finn Park last night. From a Harps perspective we may have to look at going back to Saturday nights- there was never much in it for us in terms of crowds anyway.

ped_ped
15/08/2015, 3:31 PM
Who gives a crap what games are clashed with in a foreign league.

Everyone but the relative diehards and occasional tourists. Attendances are appalling as it is. Matches don't need competition. It's easy for people on here to say it doesn't matter: we're the ones who prioritise the LOI.

outspoken
15/08/2015, 5:49 PM
Why didn't all the LOI clubs have a kids go free night or something along those lines if they were so worried about the united game? We will always face competition it's about how we market ourselves that matters most and in sure most people will agree that's something the majority of our clubs aren't good at

TheBoss
15/08/2015, 6:26 PM
I think there is a little panic here, this was the only game this season in the Premier League that will be played on a regular Friday night and it was due to EDL march on that was scheduled today. Next season 10 matches will be played on a Friday but when will they be played is the question, some if not all could be played between November and February leaving the LOI less likely to be affected.

ger121
15/08/2015, 7:15 PM
I've posted on this elsewhere. Personally I think the impact will be minimised due to the fact we have a very long off season of over 4 months. This will mean that it will not be 10 Friday's during the season. Secondly, teams competing in the CL and EL i.e. the bigger clubs, will be less likely to play on that night, so the games will involve sides who don't have such a big support base in Ireland.
MNF is probably a good example of the types of games that could be selected for the Friday slot. We've had LOI games clash with Monday PL matches for years and even the Champions League. Sometimes attendances have been affected but you know what, the League has survived. I think this will also be the case with Friday PL games. Maybe some creative thinking will be required but the League will go on...

oriel
15/08/2015, 9:01 PM
I don't understand (if there is any) panic in all of this. Let's be frank here, just what EPL games are going to be issues here, Manu at home? Maybe Liverpool, Chelsea or City won't be a massive draw, can't see Arsenal being a big draw either.

There is no guarnatee any of the top 5 will be shown regularly, maybe a games involving two sides in the top 5 would be a problem, but LOI clubs can maket themselves better and be prepared.

Dundalk are offering all teenagers €5 admission on Monday night, this is a great move, as it's the last home game before the school holidays end.

Others clubs can do similar things and besides we have all been up against WC and EURO every other summer, all clubs can adapt, but the lazy ones will suffer.

brendy_éire
16/08/2015, 11:41 AM
I think the Villa United game really hurt the attendance at Finn Park last night. From a Harps perspective we may have to look at going back to Saturday nights- there was never much in it for us in terms of crowds anyway.

Always enjoyed the Saturday night Harps matches. You'd always run into a few Derry heads there as well.
On a personal level, a move to Saturdays would be great.
Wouldn't want Derry matches to move to Saturday, but more than happy to have away matches on Saturdays.