PDA

View Full Version : Poll on 11 a side

Roo69
10/12/2004, 10:18 AM
Pat Fenlon lost out on the Philips Manager of the Year for 2004. But who do you think has been the top manager in the eircom League over the past 12 months?

3 1st division managers in it, a little strange no ?

jimhacker
10/12/2004, 10:24 AM
Pat Fenlon lost out on the Philips Manager of the Year for 2004. But who do you think has been the top manager in the eircom League over the past 12 months?

3 1st division managers in it, a little strange no ?

1st Division is a little strange.

pineapple stu
10/12/2004, 10:30 AM
Nice to see the First Division acknowledged in fairness. Felix Healy lost one league game all season, Pete Mahon lost two and no Cup games in 90 minutes, of which all bar one were against (now) Premier sides. Both teams smashed the old First Division points record, so it's only fair to include them. I'd replace Devlin with Alan Matthews and it wouldn't be too far out to be honest.

Who did Fenlon lose out to?

holidaysong
10/12/2004, 10:32 AM
Eddie O'Sullivan the Irish Rugby manager.

Hibs4Ever
10/12/2004, 10:55 AM
Eddie O'Sullivan totally deserved the award. By far. :)

patsh
10/12/2004, 11:04 AM
Eddie O'Sullivan totally deserved the award. By far. :)Purely out of interest, why did he deserve it?
His team won some friendly games, came second in the only competitive tournament they played in and so won nothing. I know I know little about rugby, but don't see what the big deal about this record is. Pat Dolan did pretty much the same with City, but was not in the running.
Surely Duckser Grady, Jack (?) from Kerry, or Fenlon would be far more deserving?:confused:

Hibs4Ever
10/12/2004, 11:13 AM
[QUOTE=patsh]
I know little about rugby,

Nuff said. If you did you understand. Beating the world champions in their own country is enough in itself.

Longfordian
10/12/2004, 11:16 AM
How can a manager who's won two out of a possible three domestic competitions not be nominated for manager of the year? in all fairness, what did Devo win?..Mathews was nominated for the Phillips award but eleven-a-side obviously think differently

patsh
10/12/2004, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=patsh]
I know little about rugby,

Nuff said. If you did you understand. Beating the world champions in their own country is enough in itself.I'm really glad I know nothing about it, if winning one game is such a big deal that it wins you manager of the year. I've often wondered why rugger buggers are such a self-congratulatory shower of w*nkers :rolleyes:
Its not really much of an award when a guy who wins a game is considered better than managers who actually win trophies.
I'd have to agree that Alan Matthews deserves it far more than the second place guy.

Hibs4Ever
10/12/2004, 11:28 AM
I gave that one game as an example M0R0N

patsh
10/12/2004, 11:35 AM
I gave that one game as an example M0R0NAhh the words and attitude of the true rugger bugger.....
So one game was an example. what other "examples" are there?
He won some other games?

Hibs4Ever
10/12/2004, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=patsh]rugger buggers are such a self-congratulatory shower of w*nkers :rolleyes:

The words of a typical know nothing M0R0N

patsh
10/12/2004, 11:52 AM
:eek: :D :D :D

exile
10/12/2004, 11:53 AM
attack the post not the poster lads :p :p

patsh
10/12/2004, 11:55 AM
attack the postIsn't that what buggers do?:D

Kingdom
10/12/2004, 11:56 AM
Ye could arguably say that Kerry's Jack O'Connor desrved considering they won every competition played in this year..... take that ye northern fcukers

Only kiddin we need our Northern brethren just as much as the westerners

:D

Colm
10/12/2004, 11:58 AM
The words of a typical know nothing M0R0N

Behave now eggchaser or I'll have to bin your posts!

Hibs4Ever
10/12/2004, 12:53 PM
Behave now eggchaser or I'll have to bin your posts!
WHY? :confused:

patsh
10/12/2004, 1:04 PM
Beating the world champions.BTW, how can it be a World Championship, if only a tenth, at most, of the world takes place in it?
Shouldn't it be called the No Necks Championship, or the Buggers Championship or the Nations with some citizens who love to roll in Mud Championship??....:D :D

Aberdonian Stu
10/12/2004, 1:46 PM
He won two trophies if you really want to get smarmy about it (trophies given in Scotland and England games). Seriously though, the first triple crown in 19 years, and becoming the first team to win in Twickenham in five years as well as a second ever win against South Africa can't be ignored either.

Fenlon had a great season but so did Cork's hurling manager (whose name escapes me) and Jack O'Connor. O'Sullivan stands out because be ended three long runs which in fairness has to be admired. I'm not saying it's clear cut but given the options I'd have gone for him.

Incidentally Matthews not being included ahead of Devlin is a joke, Bray nearly choked in the run-in for goodness sake.

dcfcsteve
10/12/2004, 2:47 PM
He won two trophies if you really want to get smarmy about it (trophies given in Scotland and England games). Seriously though, the first triple crown in 19 years, and becoming the first team to win in Twickenham in five years as well as a second ever win against South Africa can't be ignored either.

Fenlon had a great season but so did Cork's hurling manager (whose name escapes me) and Jack O'Connor. O'Sullivan stands out because be ended three long runs which in fairness has to be admired. I'm not saying it's clear cut but given the options I'd have gone for him.

Incidentally Matthews not being included ahead of Devlin is a joke, Bray nearly choked in the run-in for goodness sake.

If the Republic of Ireland football team had, for example, beaten Brazil in a competitive tournament, beaten the pre-2004 French team (i.e. not the relatively weak team they are now) in a friendly that both sides took seriously, and picked-up some silverware then it would've been on a parallel with the Irish rugby team's achievements.

I'm no "rugger bugger", and in fact have never played the game in my life, but I'm also not blinded enough by hatred of the oval ball game to acknowledge that Ireland have had a tremendous year in that sport. Long may it continue....

More deserving than Pat Fenlon ? In the balance I'd say so - if only because of the difference in profile/stature of Irish football and rugby.

BohDiddley
11/12/2004, 11:25 AM
elevenaside polls don't work. You can vote as often as you like in some of them, and work around others to vote again. How silly is that?

EireBadBoy
12/12/2004, 4:22 AM
WHY? :confused:

It's the power - get's them every time! :rolleyes:

see foot.ie rule no 5.011 section 2.13