PDA

View Full Version : Goalposts moved again

dublinred
10/12/2004, 9:40 AM
Only the first div champions get promoted this season , second has to playoff against second last probably Harps or Derry.

Rocky
10/12/2004, 3:22 PM
The Eircom league has enough problems, without constantly changing the format. Ok so the last couple of seasons, was geared towards summer soccer and prem league expansion (prem league should never have been reduced).

The fact that the 2nd last team in Prem get's a playoff is nonsense. I've said it before that teams in the Prem League are being protected.

You can say a play-off is exciting and indeed if rovers were in it, then it would draw huge crowd's. But realisticly in terms of promotion, this format was used for numerous seasons in the past and if I can remember right I dont think many first divison runners-up actually won this play-off against the Prem League team. It should be straight two up and two down.

To be honest, as i remember, when the premier had 12 teams there was almost always 2 clubs well adrift at the bottum (Usually promoted teams). I guess that's why they want to tighten it up a bit to keep it more competitive, which is fair enough. The premier was always more important.

Macy
10/12/2004, 3:48 PM
To be honest, as i remember, when the premier had 12 teams there was almost always 2 clubs well adrift at the bottum (Usually promoted teams). I guess that's why they want to tighten it up a bit to keep it more competitive, which is fair enough. The premier was always more important.
Yeah, I'd actually think the first division has more chance against second from bottom than third from bottom. Like Rocky said, bottom two normally well adrift, and then a gap in quality to the third from bottom. Only time it was close between automatic relegation and the playoff was the season of the reduction in the premier (3 straight down and 4th from bottom in the playoff) - when us and dundalk went to the last game.

Petmuller
10/12/2004, 3:52 PM
For my tupence worth the facts speak for themselves and we can moan on until kingdom come and nothing will change. We had our best chance to get promoted last season with three up and we didn't avail of it. There's no one to blame other than the management committee who it seems would rather have us stay in the first division while we get the ground up to european standard. The Don O Riordan fiasco was bad enough but now he has been replaced with another nobody. Rovers show no ambition because the management committee don't have any and thats the bottom line no matter how its dressed up. :mad:

Schumi
10/12/2004, 3:53 PM
Only time it was close between automatic relegation and the playoff was the season of the reduction in the premier (3 straight down and 4th from bottom in the playoff) - when us and dundalk went to the last game.
Us and Harps went to the last day the year we were in the play-off against Athlone.

dublinred
10/12/2004, 4:47 PM
Considering the 3 best teams in the division went up this year and a load of crap has come down surely we have a great chance if Connor has the contacts word is that he is a very good coach so hopefully he can attract the players and the support of the board , Wolves had a lovely stadium but had to wait 22 years to get back into the top flight hopefully we won't have to wait that long.

Rocky
10/12/2004, 4:51 PM
Considering the 3 best teams in the division went up this year and a load of crap has come down surely we have a great chance if Connor has the contacts word is that he is a very good coach so hopefully he can attract the players and the support of the board , Wolves had a lovely stadium but had to wait 22 years to get back into the top flight hopefully we won't have to wait that long.

Stadium's got nothing to do with it when you,ve got a team like ours'. If Connor is that good a coach why the hell did he resign Gorman. Cant get promoted playing with 10 men every game! Dublin City may be not the best club, but being based in Dublin they have a huge advantage over us when it comes to getting players cause most players want to live in Dublin.

dublinred
10/12/2004, 4:58 PM
when it comes to getting players cause most players want to live in Dublin.
True forget about the dubs, I've been to Birmingham and its worse than Bagdad expect we will have a queue of brummies willing to relocate.

LondonRover
13/12/2004, 5:18 PM
Sligo's location has often been a hinderance in the past but it hasn't stopped us being good in the past.

If players feel that the club's going forward etc then we shouldn't really have that much of a problem getting them to sign.

The question is - is the club going forward?
Are we likely to finish in the top two next season?

I don't know- but we've got to give yer man a fair crack of the whip. After all, DOR got years!!

Petmuller
13/12/2004, 10:22 PM
I think everybody is prepared to give Connor the time required to prove himself and as londonred said we gave enough time and he wasn't up to the challange. No doubt Connor talks a good game, then so did Don O Riordan, but he'll have to back up the talk in order to win over the supporters. We have been dished the sh1t for too long and basically we are not prepared to put up with any more. Using our geographical position as a hinderance to signing good players just doesnt wash either. Looking back down the history we always attracted a good quality player but during those years the club was in the hands of good football people. I think thats where or real problems stems and there's no quick fit solution. Personally I'm sad to admit I don't see us in the hunt for promotion next season, I don't have any confidence in the new man but I'm quite willing to hang in there and and keep on praying for success. I don't think it can elude us forever.

LondonRover
14/12/2004, 5:03 PM
I'm quite willing to hang in there and and keep on praying for success. I don't think it can elude us forever.

Famous last words anybody? :D

dancinpants
14/12/2004, 6:47 PM
Only the first div champions get promoted this season , second has to playoff against second last probably Harps or Derry.

Are you f**king high?

akearins
15/12/2004, 12:35 PM
A lot of this thread seems to blame geographical location as our downfall but has anyone stopped to consider we actually have an advantage as we can attract a fan base from all surrounding counties sucha as Mayo Roscommon Leitrim as well as Sligo. Also we are not exactly isolated in terms of transport either we have an airport taht flies daily to Dublin and Knock 35mins away flies direct to major British airports.
If any club is disadvantaged in terms of location it would be Longford and Athlone and look at Longford now.....so that excuse does not wash
It has been bad management that has let us down and the same people who were responsible for our demise when appointing Tommy Cassidy, Don and the same people who wilbe running again at the enxt AGM...

dublinred
15/12/2004, 2:00 PM
Are you f**king high?

Oops , I apologise to the harps fans , are you signing many bosmans this year?

dancinpants
15/12/2004, 6:22 PM
just checked the odds there for the premier next year. the promoted 3 are obviously big prices at 50-1 but derry are next in line at 28-1. obviously someone else thinks derry mite have bit of trouble next yr dancinpete. personally i think derry definitely have the players to finish at least mid table but i think stephen kenny is dublin bull*****in c*** that cud f**k it up

He doesnt really have a history of f**king up, in fairness. Unless getting knocked out of Europe is a f**k up. We'll finish in the top 5, just behind $hel$, Cork, Bohs and Drogs. ;)

dancinpants
15/12/2004, 6:31 PM
Oops , I apologise to the harps fans , are you signing many bosmans this year?

That answers my original question

SligoRoversfan
04/01/2005, 11:24 PM
Siemprered?Why does every post you have contain the words 'Don'O Riordan?'
your fcuking obsessed with the useless ****!!!